ADVERTISEMENT

There were eight swimming advisories in place at seven state beaches in Iowa over the Fourth of July holiday weekend

I talked to a DNR guy who told me there is an emerging line of thought that the e. coli found in these beach monitoring programs is actually a self-sustaining phenomenon. That it actually grows in the wet sand.

That is not to excuse human pollution, which is obviously occurring as well. But, much of this may be a natural ecological issue, from geese and wildlife, and then the resulting bacteria adapting to grow well in a beach environment.

This might explain what's going on at a lake beach here in South Minneapolis. 40 years ago it was crowded with neighborhood kids. Today it might as well be paved over.

Can someone post a picture of an Iowa "beach"? I'm skeptical.
Just typical Midwest freshwater sand beaches like you see all over up here. Lakes and rivers and sandbars:

121012-A-JO711-015.JPG

Orleans-Beach-1024x768.jpeg

20190803-152856.png.jpg

Ahh, thanks. Those "beaches" are wider than I was expecting. I can see canoeing/kayaking in that. But I'm not a fan of swimming in fresh water.

Reactions: torbee
Ahh, thanks. Those "beaches" are wider than I was expecting. I can see canoeing/kayaking in that. But I'm not a fan of swimming in fresh water.
Really? Lot less shit that can kill or bite you in freshwater! Although I saw a snapping turtle with a head the size of my dog at our lake house this past weekend.

Here is the massive “beach” at our lake place BTW - I’m sure it will amuse you 😉

43-B7-CA22-6838-4287-BAC8-64001-AB16-E7-A.jpg

Really? Lot less shit that can kill or bite you in freshwater! Although I saw a snapping turtle with a head the size of my dog at our lake house this past weekend.

Here is the massive “beach” at our lake place BTW - I’m sure it will amuse you 😉

43-B7-CA22-6838-4287-BAC8-64001-AB16-E7-A.jpg

Yes, that's a cute beach. very nice.

I'm not concerned about large, man-eating animals in the water. It's the bacteria.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT