ADVERTISEMENT

Things

J_Heater

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2005
Can’t even imagine what it was like in the stadium, but watching Greenwood lead the team out was pretty emotional. Goose bumps.

Mason says Iowa usually likes to be on defense first. Not doing your homework coach.

FIRST PLAY – Beathard got rocked pretty good and it wasn’t due to bad protection. Everybody blocked somebody. They just brought 1 more than we had .

James Daniels was in on 2nd series of the game. He played almost as much as Welsh.

On Iowa’s first FG, all Pitt’s edge rushers played the fake. That was funny.

Bomb to Smith, great job by Tevaun not putting his hands up to absolute last moment.

Backed up inside our own 10, the quick hitter to Hilyer, Welsh was 20 yards down field blocking. Love that hustle.

Been talked about a lot but obvious head hunting on ugly sack on CJ. Have to throw that flag.

End of 2nd quarter, Iowa had a 3rd and 1, come out 5 wide and force Pitt to take TO. After TO. They go QB sneak.

Before Canzeri’s first TD, they faked a reverse to Vandy and the MLB was completely fooled. Great play design because those backers were in the running lanes all night.

Think Josey Jewell moved inside to allow Pitt to block that punt. But lots of guys coming, not sure if he didn’t move inside if somebody else wouldn’t have blocked it.

Seriously? Booing KF for not going for it on 4th and 1 in a tied game from his own 39. We had about 50 yards rushing at that point. CJ sneak probably works, but there is conservative and there is smart.

When Pitt was trying to draw Iowa offside. Jaleel jumped and the center didn’t snap it. Jewell then went up and I think told JJ that they aren't going to snap it so just hold tight.

Funny call. Announcer said they threw some raw meat to Macon Plewa on a pass to him.

CJ’s pass to Vandy to the 1, Canzeri with a great blitz pick up. He did that all night. His pass protection was the best part of his game last night. Awesome job.

On Pitts final TD drive, we blitzed 3 times. We gave up pass plays of 19, 22 and 3 yards for a first down.

Meiers sack on that final drive, we rushed 3. Hesse, Ott and Meier

On the 4th and 15 pickup for Pitt, Parker had Nieman spying the QB. Wasn’t sure why as Peterman was no threat to run let alone 15 yards.

King great Kick return to give us hope. It was almost all him because outside of Plewa, nobody made a good block.

Boone Meyers played great taking on Nic Grigsby on final drive. I watched some things on Pitt before this game and he was impressive. Probably the fastest LB we will see this year but Boone had the athleticism to stay with him.

CJ got to the 39, refs marked him at the 40 on play before the kick. Also on that play, Nic Grigsby was spying on Beathard and CJ with a great first step. Pitt was ready for it, CJ just beat it. He was absolute money on that final drive.

Boyd sits with hands on his hips looking disgusted as kick goes through the uprights.

The FG, snap was high and to the left, great hold by Dillon Kidd.

On the winner, Pitt edge rushers on the side that Koehn has been faking, played the fake, didn’t even rush. If nothing else, those two fakes may have gave Koehn a clear shot. There edge rusher was Maddox who is their fastest player. He played for a fake. WTF?

After the FG, looks like the cheerleaders got wiped out by the football team in the endzone.

Great tackling tonight by Iowa. Reminded me of 2009. When they get to you, you go down.

Pitt had 3 penalties the whole game. 2 personal fouls in the first half, and the delay of game in the 2nd half where they tried to draw Iowa off sides. I don’t think the refs were looking too hard for Pitt Penalties.

2 holds on Blythe, first one was something they let both teams do all night long and the 2nd just flat out wasn’t a hold. Not even close.

Almost every time Beathard got rocked it wasn’t because of a missed block. They almost always had a hat on a hat. Pitt just brought more than we had to block. 1 exception was on CJ 1st down pass to smith late in 2nd quarter, Welsh got beat

I think this game was Jordan Lomax’s best game as Hawk. He was all over the place.

Tyler Boyd 10 catches. 2 on King. King had 2 on him. LOL.

Dillon Kidd’s game has went from a liability to a weapon.

Pitt couldn’t run inside due to Jaleel. Beast! His jersey was shredded all night long from holds. They couldn’t budge him out of the middle.

CJ played hurt and showed tremendous guts. Who couldn’t be inspired by that.

Nate Meier is 100% motor. Still undersized I believe for the position he is just relentless. 4 sacks in 3 games.

Before we ride the OL for their play, lets remember that Narduzzi got a head coaching job because his defenses were usually elite. The guy knows what he is doing.

Desmond King. Enough said.

Good analysis, we fought through very one sided officiating entire game....from bogus holding calls, obvious Pass interference calls not called or at very least illegal contact, no helmet to helmet call, and bad spots all game including the last spot where CJB was obviously inside the 40

Reactions: WORTHYWISH
After those two early personal fouls the officiating turned hard. Clearly not watching Pitt with the same scrutiny as they were watching Iowa. Outplaying a good opponent and the officials makes the win more impressive.

Some of the blown calls had a real affect on the scoring.

Reactions: WORTHYWISH
Great post heat. It was a great atmosphere in the stadium. The only negative was the idiotic portion booing the 4th and 1 from our own 39. In reality, our coaches made a great move by leaving our O on the field, Pitt then brought their short yardage personnel in, we then ran the punt team out late in the play clock. This prevented Pitt from getting their punt block personnel on the field as they had blocked the previous kick.

Reactions: IaHawk44
Can’t even imagine what it was like in the stadium, but watching Greenwood lead the team out was pretty emotional. Goose bumps. Amazing moment to watch that. The team was pumped, the fans were pumped, and I can only imagine what was going through Brett Greenwood's mind during all of that.

Mason says Iowa usually likes to be on defense first. Not doing your homework coach. Yeah if that wasn't just a brain fart, then that's pretty bad.

James Daniels was in on 2nd series of the game. He played almost as much as Welsh. stevenpatrick doesn't believe you. His sources will confirm this.......plus his corn tastes better.

On Iowa’s first FG, all Pitt’s edge rushers played the fake. That was funny. Only downside is, we may not see Iowa run another fake FG this year because teams will now be looking for it. That part worked, but maybe too well. I guess we'll see. ;)

Been talked about a lot but obvious head hunting on ugly sack on CJ. Have to throw that flag. I don't think it was malicious. But he did make contact with the crown of his helmet to C.J.'s facemask. Should have been a penalty and I'm sure the refs knew that looking at the replay.

End of 2nd quarter, Iowa had a 3rd and 1, come out 5 wide and force Pitt to take TO. After TO. They go QB sneak. Lol, yep. Keeping 'em off balance. I like it, Kirk.

Before Canzeri’s first TD, they faked a reverse to Vandy and the MLB was completely fooled. Great play design because those backers were in the running lanes all night. That's why we ran that end around with Parker last week. If you recall last year, there were times where our best bet to run the football was when we faked the end around and gave it to the RB because it freezes the LBs. Of course, Iowa does need to occasionally give the ball to the WRs in order to keep them honest.

Think Josey Jewell moved inside to allow Pitt to block that punt. But lots of guys coming, not sure if he didn’t move inside if somebody else wouldn’t have blocked it. I think it was just miscommunication. Two guys took the rusher in the middle while the guy that blocked it came free from the left. If he gets picked up, the kick doesn't get blocked. That's the risk with this new formation that Iowa is trying.

Seriously? Booing KF for not going for it on 4th and 1 in a tied game from his own 39. We had about 50 yards rushing at that point. CJ sneak probably works, but there is conservative and there is smart. Bau....To be honest, I wanted them to go for it. 4th and inches. Pretty easy to make. But like you said, they made the smart decision to punt.

On the 4th and 15 pickup for Pitt, Parker had Nieman spying the QB. Wasn’t sure why as Peterman was no threat to run let alone 15 yards. Also, I believe all those big completions were to Boyd......did he really just beat our coverage multiple times, or did we not adjust well on that drive?

King great Kick return to give us hope. It was almost all him because outside of Plewa, nobody made a good block. Which is something I've mentioned before over the years in all those threads about how we don't return punts etc etc etc........we don't return punts....because we don't block. Or at least hadn't been blocking well enough to warrant returns. King can make some plays with his feet...but he still needs a little help from his return team.

Boyd sits with hands on his hips looking disgusted as kick goes through the uprights. Haha, couldn't quiet the crowd on that one could he...

Almost every time Beathard got rocked it wasn’t because of a missed block. They almost always had a hat on a hat. Pitt just brought more than we had to block. 1 exception was on CJ 1st down pass to smith late in 2nd quarter, Welsh got beat. There was a time or two that I noticed our OL doubled on a guy and that freed up another rusher. Like most of us figured, there will be growing pains with this line, and the good news is we faced a team that blitzed like crazy and not only held our own, but came out with the win. This will be a good game to learn from for the future in case other teams (Northwestern) decide to bring blitz after blitz at us.

Nate Meier is 100% motor. Still undersized I believe for the position he is just relentless. 4 sacks in 3 games. I think guys like Meier and Hesse are part of that new breed of DEs we're seeing at both the college and pro levels. Teams are going for the faster, slimmer, more athletic DEs.

Good reflections.

King great Kick return to give us hope. It was almost all him because outside of Plewa, nobody made a good block.

King's KO return was huge. Gave IA a bit more of a comfort level to be offensively aggressive.

Only of the commentary by announcers. I watch the game like everyone else. But after wards I like to re-watch and see all the things I missed. For example ,nobody watches the guards during the game. Everybody usually watches the ball and Im no different. But once you know the outcome it's fun to go back and see all the stuff you missed while watching the ball. Last week against Iowa St I still think a key block in that game was by Tevaun Smith. If he don't throw a block I think the defender may get to the football before Vandeberg does on his TD fumble recovery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT