ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking out loud: 2023 OL

none of these were 5* plug and play type of recruits. the Wirffs types just are not out there. even Gallery took a few years before he was as good as he was,

just for you
Gallery and his teammates went 3-8 as RSFR
as RSSO they went 7-5
as RSJR's they went 11-2
as RSSR's they went 10-2

the main point they practiced and played together for 5 years with little or no injuries. none of them were plug and play guys.

in fact under Kirk they have not had to many of these plug and play players. some of the 5* OL that they did get most got hurt.

if you want the plug and players go follow OSU, Alabama or Georgia as IA does not as a rule does not get those type of players.

I will say we are in a much better position and If we do get 25 pts per game then the season will be a great one.
1) Phil Parker will get it done
2) QB is upgrade
3) WR group should stabilize
The wildcard is OL and was a glaring issue last year which amplified weakness in other offensive positions IMO. We needed new blood and I am very hopeful this has been fixed.
The Hawks got trucked at the beginning of last season due to injuries at multiple positions ... particularly at WR and OL (although depth issues at CB were obviously a concern too).

Were it not for said injuries ... I hypothesize that Iowa would have defeated ISU in '22. As it was ... I'd hope/imagine that the Iowa D was a bit ashamed of themselves for failing to suitably slow the ISU rushing attack in that game. Of course, part of that was attributable to Jacobs going down to injury, early on in that game. All the same, it became evident pretty early on that Logan Klemp was not the answer for us there.

Anyhow, that is part of the reason why I've been harping so much about the importance of entering the '23 season pretty healthy. The sooner we can start the season and develop some good chemistry and momentum, the better.

I'm really excited about the secondary in '23 ... and the DL should be money too. The group of LBs is a bit of a question mark ... but if we primarily work using the CASH ... we just need 2 ILBs to be productive. Thus, that can mitigate some of the transition at LB. Besides, I'm excited about Higgins ... and Jackson is a really smart and experienced dude. Heck, Tanner Pollock could prove to be a surprise story in the LB room ... he had an awfully productive defensive season for Drake last year.

Lastly, I'm really excited about seeing Harris back on the field for us at CB. I'm heartened by Kirk's words about how "plugged in" Jermari has been through last season.

Anyhow, I cannot see the D being anything but dominant in '23. Obviously, we still have Tory ... so Punting will still be "winning." Lastly, between DeJean and (maybe) Brown as returners ... the return game really could/should be strong too.

Reactions: MitchLL
The Hawks got trucked at the beginning of last season due to injuries at multiple positions ... particularly at WR and OL (although depth issues at CB were obviously a concern too).

Were it not for said injuries ... I hypothesize that Iowa would have defeated ISU in '22. As it was ... I'd hope/imagine that the Iowa D was a bit ashamed of themselves for failing to suitably slow the ISU rushing attack in that game. Of course, part of that was attributable to Jacobs going down to injury, early on in that game. All the same, it became evident pretty early on that Logan Klemp was not the answer for us there.

Anyhow, that is part of the reason why I've been harping so much about the importance of entering the '23 season pretty healthy. The sooner we can start the season and develop some good chemistry and momentum, the better.

I'm really excited about the secondary in '23 ... and the DL should be money too. The group of LBs is a bit of a question mark ... but if we primarily work using the CASH ... we just need 2 ILBs to be productive. Thus, that can mitigate some of the transition at LB. Besides, I'm excited about Higgins ... and Jackson is a really smart and experienced dude. Heck, Tanner Pollock could prove to be a surprise story in the LB room ... he had an awfully productive defensive season for Drake last year.

Lastly, I'm really excited about seeing Harris back on the field for us at CB. I'm heartened by Kirk's words about how "plugged in" Jermari has been through last season.

Anyhow, I cannot see the D being anything but dominant in '23. Obviously, we still have Tory ... so Punting will still be "winning." Lastly, between DeJean and (maybe) Brown as returners ... the return game really could/should be strong too.

Hell, I totally forgot about Tanner Pollock… Yes, I thought it was kind of strange he transferred here, because I’m fairly certain we have some young talented albeit untested youth…

Karson Sharar is a name that has been bandied about frequently as I’m sure you know. Kyle Fisher has never been brilliant but he’s been around the two deeps and on the field multiple times in the last couple years and I’m exceptionally intrigued by this Kelby Tellander at second string cash who is now 64 238 …

And as far as that goes, we have recruited well, at linebacker over the last few years, so I’m pretty confident we have some players they are just green!

Last edited:
Hell, I totally forgot about Tanner Pollock… Yes, I thought it was kind of strange he transferred here, because I’m fairly certain we have some young talented albeit untested youth…

Karson Shara is a name that is been banded about frequently as I’m sure you know. Kyle Fisher has never been brilliant but he’s been around the two deeps and on the field multiple times in the last couple years and I’m exceptionally intrigued by this Kelby Tellander at second string cash who is now 64 238 …

And as far as that goes, we have recruited well, at linebacker over the last few years, so I’m pretty confident we have some players they are just green!
Fisher has been darn solid on special teams ... I know that Wallace likes him at LB too. Of course, of the younger guys ... Sharar is always the first one mentioned. Harrell has earned kudos by Wallace (and his teammates too). The caveat with guys like Sharar and Harrell is simply their complete lack of experience.

The guy who I think that we REALLY need to keep an eye on ... as a guy who could burst onto the scene ... Koen Entringer. Some cryptically positive comments had been made by Phil (I think) relating to Entringer. Potentially like Hooker's emergence in '17 ... or Koerner's emergence in '19 ... Entringer is a guy who I'm looking to break through ... either this year or next.

As it relates to critical depth supplied by walkons/former-walkons ... I'm also keeping an eye on Jaxon Rexroth.

As always ... I'm always excited to see who emergences as the surprise stories. Maybe a TR FR ... maybe a guy like Hilson ... I'll be curious as to where those stories will come from.

Fisher has been darn solid on special teams ... I know that Wallace likes him at LB too. Of course, of the younger guys ... Sharar is always the first one mentioned. Harrell has earned kudos by Wallace (and his teammates too). The caveat with guys like Sharar and Harrell is simply their complete lack of experience.

The guy who I think that we REALLY need to keep an eye on ... as a guy who could burst onto the scene ... Koen Entringer. Some cryptically positive comments had been made by Phil (I think) relating to Entringer. Potentially like Hooker's emergence in '17 ... or Koerner's emergence in '19 ... Entringer is a guy who I'm looking to break through ... either this year or next.

As it relates to critical depth supplied by walkons/former-walkons ... I'm also keeping an eye on Jaxon Rexroth.

As always ... I'm always excited to see who emergences as the surprise stories. Maybe a TR FR ... maybe a guy like Hilson ... I'll be curious as to where those stories will come from.

Van Kekerix is someone who it sounds like they are happy with and up to 226!

Reactions: chaneccooms
LB Kueter was the highest rated player of the 23 class at 5.9 4* and a Under Armour AA. he is my surprise players for this season. right now he weighs 220 lb at 6'3 before the summer weigh ins.

LB Kueter was the highest rated player of the 23 class at 5.9 4* and a Under Armour AA. he is my surprise players for this season. right now he weighs 220 lb at 6'3 before the summer weigh ins.
SO Kueter is going to the OL? This thread is about the OL you ****ing idiot.

Reactions: Bullethawk31
Lots of knowledge on this board about the Iowa OL. Kudos.

So, in 2022, the OL was obviously bad. It was some combination of ...

1. Individual skill - the Hawk was overpowered or "out-techniqued" by the opponent. Could be lack of experience, inadequate S&C, or just not enough talent.

2. Bad line calls - Hawks just simply made the wrong call to defend the opponent. One guy has to block two guys and another one is blocking air.

3. Poor schemes - similar to #2, but the OL strategy and game planning not very good.

4. Poor personnel selection by the coaches - wrong guys in the wrong spots.

5. Opponents were just better - lots of highly ranked defenses.

#1 is on the player primarily to get better. No reason to think they won't.

#2 - #4 are on the coaches for the most part. Are there reasons to think this will get better?

#5 - the schedule gives one hope that there are fewer opponents with excellent defenses.

My point? 🤷‍♀️ It's a bigger task than simply having the guys get better or getting better guys. Is the coaching staff capable of putting together a good OL?

SO Kueter is going to the OL? This thread is about the OL you ****ing idiot.

That’s a tad strong, I do believe this gentleman had a pretty significant stroke in the last year or 2 and although he can be a little belligerent. He is clearly a passionate Iowa fan!

• Haha
Reactions: D_LovingHawkeye

1. Individual skill - the Hawk was overpowered or "out-techniqued" by the opponent. Could be lack of experience, inadequate S&C, or just not enough talent.

2. Bad line calls - Hawks just simply made the wrong call to defend the opponent. One guy has to block two guys and another one is blocking air.

3. Poor schemes - similar to #2, but the OL strategy and game planning not very good.

#2 - #4 are on the coaches for the most part. Are there reasons to think this will get better?

#5 - the schedule gives one hope that there are fewer opponents with excellent defenses.

My point? 🤷‍♀️ It's a bigger task than simply having the guys get better or getting better guys. Is the coaching staff capable of putting together a good OL?
I would say it was getting a little better toward the end of last season. The Nebraska game was turnovers and injuries, amiright Fusker fans?

Reactions: cmhawks99
I would say it was getting a little better toward the end of last season. The Nebraska game was turnovers and injuries, amiright Fusker fans?
... and penalties.

Yeah, better I guess. 4th best rushing game (3.8 yds/rush) and 2nd best in first downs (18) for the season. Hopefully those stats will be closer to the bottom in 2023.

Reactions: pistachio1999
That’s a tad strong, I do believe this gentleman had a pretty significant stroke in the last year or 2 and although he can be a little belligerent. He is clearly a passionate Iowa fan!
The stroke was longer ago than that. But that response was a bit strong

I think that your point #1 is a bit of a given ... but a fair observation.

Your point #2 is an interesting one. Given that it is the responsibility of the C to take care of line calls ... that really could been one of the glaring errors on the unit. I believe that the QB can also assist in getting them properly aligned too ... although the QB has a lot of other things to worry about too.

I do believe that our point #3 is mistaken. All you need are guys who don't understand their responsibilities and/or guys who don't communicate well-enough with their brothers in the trenches. If you're supposed to pass-off a block to another guy ... but he doesn't pick it up ... that's obviously a bit problem. The defender knifes in ... and then the whole timing of any pass-play is completely thrown off ... or the RB is forced to make a move behind the line of scrimmage (which is rarely a good thing).

I'm never going to say that the coaches are beyond reproach ... but Barnett already has his own resume ... and then, on top of that, there is the residual influence of BOTH Kirk and Brian. The point being ... OL schemes are really not the problem.

Concerning point #4 ... I've already addressed this issue earlier. Personnel management really wasn't the problem. Injuries preemptively forced the unit to be in scramble mode.

I remember how puzzled Iowa sports beat reporters were when Iowa's first depth chart listed Colby at OG ... when they were expecting him to be at RT (because that is where he worked most of the time in practice). Most folks thought that Colby at RT would have been the "best fit" there (because we desperately needed somebody to emerger there) ... however, they didn't really think about Colby being a young guy who might be best served really learning a particular spot first. In all frankness, we really needed Colby to "work" at RT ... it just didn't happen.

Ferentz personally pulled Jones over to C. After we lost Linderbaum ... and given the injuries to Mylinski ... we desperately needed options at the C spot.

Again, I don't think that personnel was mismanaged there.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I think that your point #1 is a bit of a given ... but a fair observation.

Your point #2 is an interesting one. Given that it is the responsibility of the C to take care of line calls ... that really could been one of the glaring errors on the unit. I believe that the QB can also assist in getting them properly aligned too ... although the QB has a lot of other things to worry about too.

I do believe that our point #3 is mistaken. All you need are guys who don't understand their responsibilities and/or guys who don't communicate well-enough with their brothers in the trenches. If you're supposed to pass-off a block to another guy ... but he doesn't pick it up ... that's obviously a bit problem. The defender knifes in ... and then the whole timing of any pass-play is completely thrown off ... or the RB is forced to make a move behind the line of scrimmage (which is rarely a good thing).

I'm never going to say that the coaches are beyond reproach ... but Barnett already has his own resume ... and then, on top of that, there is the residual influence of BOTH Kirk and Brian. The point being ... OL schemes are really not the problem.

Concerning point #4 ... I've already addressed this issue earlier. Personnel management really wasn't the problem. Injuries preemptively forced the unit to be in scramble mode.

I remember how puzzled Iowa sports beat reporters were when Iowa's first depth chart listed Colby at OG ... when they were expecting him to be at RT (because that is where he worked most of the time in practice). Most folks thought that Colby at RT would have been the "best fit" there (because we desperately needed somebody to emerger there) ... however, they didn't really think about Colby being a young guy who might be best served really learning a particular spot first. In all frankness, we really needed Colby to "work" at RT ... it just didn't happen.

Ferentz personally pulled Jones over to C. After we lost Linderbaum ... and given the injuries to Mylinski ... we desperately needed options at the C spot.

Again, I don't think that personnel was mismanaged there.
The points I was trying to make is that, #1 - I don't know as much about the 2022 OL as a lot of posters here - probably including you. Point #2 - even if the guys on the OL are much improved, will the entire line be improved?

I don't know the answer, but it seems to me that the Hawks are a long ways from the dominant OL's of the past. I'm just wondering if the coaching staff has the chops to put together even a "very good" or even "pretty good" OL for 2023.

I'm hopeful, but uncertain.

I don't know the answer, but it seems to me that the Hawks are a long ways from the dominant OL's of the past. I'm just wondering if the coaching staff has the chops to put together even a "vbeery good" or even "pretty good" OL for 2023.

I'm hopeful, but uncertain.
I don't know either! (concerning how improved the unit will be)

However, what I do know is that an OL is only as good as its weakest link.

I remember back to the 2007 OL and thinking at the time that it had to be one of the weakest units Ferentz had fielded since maybe year one (perhaps, year two). Part of the deal for that unit was ...
  • the unit lacked any veteran presence (Olsen was the old man of the group)
  • Eubanks was undersized and a bit overwhelmed at C that year (credit to him for developing into a fine C by his SR year)
  • Due to necessity dictated by personnel, we were forced to have a number of guys play from their ideal position ... and part of that may have also dealt with the learning curve, of determining where their best fit was. Namely, Calloway was at LT (he ended up a RT for us) and Olsen was at RT (his strongest position was OG).
  • Just like folks malign DeJong ... folks spoke similarly about Calloway being a turnstile.
  • We were really young/inexperienced at OG ... Bulaga was a TR FR playing at OG and Vandervelde was a RS FR playing at OG. The guys were talented ... but inexperienced.
What a difference a year made ... the 2008 OL was night-and-day different from the the '07 OL. Some of what helped was ...
  • Bruggeman emerged as a SR leader at C. Had he been healthy ... he likely would have started in '07. Of course, with him being a new starter ... and having him snap to a new QB (Stanzi) ... you might remember that there were a TON of botched snap-exchanges that season. All the same ... the quality of toughness and blocking at the C-spot was enormously upgraded.
  • Bulaga moved over to LT.
  • Calloway moved over to RT.
  • Olsen moved in to OG.
  • Vandervelde remained at OG ... just keep on improving.
  • By '08, Bruggeman and Olsen were SRs and Calloway was a RS JR.
  • While having plenty of "issues" from the '07 season ... the unit properly leveraged its experience and improved from its mistakes.
  • Lastly, by and large, the '08 OL enjoyed decent health - along with a bruising RB in Shonn Greene - which helped them gel through the season.
Anyhow, the transition from '07 to '08 allowed the unit to shore up deficiencies. Four of the guys starting in '08, started the prior year. So the solution wasn't an issue of replacing personnel. Rather, part of it was enjoying the luxury of being able to get guys in the positions where they fit best. Also, part of it was having guys improve a ton ... and just play at a really high level for us. Bulaga's play was money at LT ... even as early as the '08 season.

I think that having guys like Stephens and Dunker be a year older and more experienced ... I think that helps. I think that having a more settled Jones at C (or getting Feth at C) ... helps improve the situation at C. Richman has always been a fit at LT ... and he's finally a more veteran guy for us.

The addition of Feth and Parker, while guaranteeing nothing ... at least give the coaches more personnel options on the OL. It allows for them to find the right "fits." Colby, despite any hiccups he had last season, at the very least givens us more permutations to explore too. Hopefully he makes the improvements that he's capable of doing.

Anyhow, many facets of the transition from '07 to '08 seem to be present as we the page turn from '22 to '23. Hopefully, we also see a comparable outcome! (in terms of OL-performance)

I don't know either! (concerning how improved the unit will be)

However, what I do know is that an OL is only as good as its weakest link.

I remember back to the 2007 OL and thinking at the time that it had to be one of the weakest units Ferentz had fielded since maybe year one (perhaps, year two). Part of the deal for that unit was ...
  • the unit lacked any veteran presence (Olsen was the old man of the group)
  • Eubanks was undersized and a bit overwhelmed at C that year (credit to him for developing into a fine C by his SR year)
  • Due to necessity dictated by personnel, we were forced to have a number of guys play from their ideal position ... and part of that may have also dealt with the learning curve, of determining where their best fit was. Namely, Calloway was at LT (he ended up a RT for us) and Olsen was at RT (his strongest position was OG).
  • Just like folks malign DeJong ... folks spoke similarly about Calloway being a turnstile.
  • We were really young/inexperienced at OG ... Bulaga was a TR FR playing at OG and Vandervelde was a RS FR playing at OG. The guys were talented ... but inexperienced.
What a difference a year made ... the 2008 OL was night-and-day different from the the '07 OL. Some of what helped was ...
  • Bruggeman emerged as a SR leader at C. Had he been healthy ... he likely would have started in '07. Of course, with him being a new starter ... and having him snap to a new QB (Stanzi) ... you might remember that there were a TON of botched snap-exchanges that season. All the same ... the quality of toughness and blocking at the C-spot was enormously upgraded.
  • Bulaga moved over to LT.
  • Calloway moved over to RT.
  • Olsen moved in to OG.
  • Vandervelde remained at OG ... just keep on improving.
  • By '08, Bruggeman and Olsen were SRs and Calloway was a RS JR.
  • While having plenty of "issues" from the '07 season ... the unit properly leveraged its experience and improved from its mistakes.
  • Lastly, by and large, the '08 OL enjoyed decent health - along with a bruising RB in Shonn Greene - which helped them gel through the season.
Anyhow, the transition from '07 to '08 allowed the unit to shore up deficiencies. Four of the guys starting in '08, started the prior year. So the solution wasn't an issue of replacing personnel. Rather, part of it was enjoying the luxury of being able to get guys in the positions where they fit best. Also, part of it was having guys improve a ton ... and just play at a really high level for us. Bulaga's play was money at LT ... even as early as the '08 season.

I think that having guys like Stephens and Dunker be a year older and more experienced ... I think that helps. I think that having a more settled Jones at C (or getting Feth at C) ... helps improve the situation at C. Richman has always been a fit at LT ... and he's finally a more veteran guy for us.

The addition of Feth and Parker, while guaranteeing nothing ... at least give the coaches more personnel options on the OL. It allows for them to find the right "fits." Colby, despite any hiccups he had last season, at the very least givens us more permutations to explore too. Hopefully he makes the improvements that he's capable of doing.

Anyhow, many facets of the transition from '07 to '08 seem to be present as we the page turn from '22 to '23. Hopefully, we also see a comparable outcome! (in terms of OL-performance)
Do you think that 4 of the current OL will end up in the NFL? Not just FA deals.

• Haha
Reactions: HypocriteHawkeyes
Do you think that 4 of the current OL will end up in the NFL? Not just FA deals.

Very unlikely.
A dramatic improvement would be necessary for that many.
Not sure any would based on results to date.
I honestly don't know ... nor do I think we could say it's likely OR unlikely.

If you asked me 2 years ago ... from both internal buzz and from the fact that both guys started as FR ... I would say that it's likely that both Richman and Colby are future NFLers (drafted too). I'm still pretty confident about that assertion concerning Richman. If Colby can rediscover his confidence and improve ... it still could happen for him too.

I'm quite bullish about Stephens.

I know that the coaches were really happy about the recruitment of Dotzler.

Lots of good things have been said about Dunker ... he's likely a riser.

4 guys in the NFL? Maybe ... maybe not?

That said ... even the '02 OL had what ... 5 guys who ended up getting drafted to the NFL (Nelson, Steinbach, Sobieski, Gallery, and McMahon).

Getting 4 or 5 guys drafted ... that's quite a water-mark to reach. Even just looking at the play of the 2015 OL ... I'd take that, with hopefully a little better pass-pro (b/c I don't want McNamara to get killed). Only 2 guys drafted from that OL ... but Boone Myers was way under-appreciated by Iowa fans when he was healthy ... quite a good player. Obviously, Cole Croston and Ike Boettger ended up in the league ... albeit, not drafted. both Walsh and Welsh were darn fine collegiate players for us.

Anyhow, I definitely could see the current OL being at that level or higher. Of course, it's not "automatic" ... the guys need to make it happen. I trust that they can though.

Reactions: F5n5
I honestly don't know ... nor do I think we could say it's likely OR unlikely.

If you asked me 2 years ago ... from both internal buzz and from the fact that both guys started as FR ... I would say that it's likely that both Richman and Colby are future NFLers (drafted too). I'm still pretty confident about that assertion concerning Richman. If Colby can rediscover his confidence and improve ... it still could happen for him too.

I'm quite bullish about Stephens.

I know that the coaches were really happy about the recruitment of Dotzler.

Lots of good things have been said about Dunker ... he's likely a riser.

4 guys in the NFL? Maybe ... maybe not?

That said ... even the '02 OL had what ... 5 guys who ended up getting drafted to the NFL (Nelson, Steinbach, Sobieski, Gallery, and McMahon).

Getting 4 or 5 guys drafted ... that's quite a water-mark to reach. Even just looking at the play of the 2015 OL ... I'd take that, with hopefully a little better pass-pro (b/c I don't want McNamara to get killed). Only 2 guys drafted from that OL ... but Boone Myers was way under-appreciated by Iowa fans when he was healthy ... quite a good player. Obviously, Cole Croston and Ike Boettger ended up in the league ... albeit, not drafted. both Walsh and Welsh were darn fine collegiate players for us.

Anyhow, I definitely could see the current OL being at that level or higher. Of course, it's not "automatic" ... the guys need to make it happen. I trust that they can though.

Let’s back that 02 unit back to 2000….. and there in lies my problems with the way some of our fans react to questions like this. They’re negative just simply, because they really literally have no foresight AND no hindsight!

No way in hell did anybody think any of those guys in 2000 were gonna be drafted at that point in time outside of the coaches possibly!

Let’s back that 02 unit back to 2000….. and there in lies my problems with the way some of our fans react to questions like this. They’re negative just simply, because they really literally have no foresight AND no hindsight!

No way in hell did anybody think any of those guys in 2000 were gonna be drafted at that point in time outside of the coaches possibly!

Amazing what a different approach and coaching can do for a group of players that had less than positive results prior to.

I hope one of the options being explored is Feth at Center. I do not believe we can win with Jones at Center. We have lots of options at OG.

I have never seen such an inability to block the guy lined up across from you, but his inability to even RECOGNIZE a defensive player coming from another part of the line on a stunt, much less even get a pinkie on the guy … just a horror show.

At some point, if you see a guy flying toward the backfield in your area, you need to at least make an attempt to slow him down. It could be that he isn’t quick enough , mentally, to react OR he just isn’t aware of what is happening on the field in front of him. Either way, it’s a terrifying situation. Someone else must be deserving of an opportunity.

That may not be popular. I am rooting for the kid, but I do not see any possibility that he can play D1 center. That’s just the way I see it.

I hope one of the options being explored is Feth at Center. I do not believe we can win with Jones at Center. We have lots of options at OG.

I have never seen such an inability to block the guy lined up across from you, but his inability to even RECOGNIZE a defensive player coming from another part of the line on a stunt, much less even get a pinkie on the guy … just a horror show.

At some point, if you see a guy flying toward the backfield in your area, you need to at least make an attempt to slow him down. It could be that he isn’t quick enough , mentally, to react OR he just isn’t aware of what is happening on the field in front of him. Either way, it’s a terrifying situation. Someone else must be deserving of an opportunity.

That may not be popular. I am rooting for the kid, but I do not see any possibility that he can play D1 center. That’s just the way I see it.

There was a lot of progress in the bowl game. Do you realize how hard of a dt to oc transition can be.

The real key is whether he “competed”?

I don’t think he did. Looked like he had a chance to make a move to try and slow some folks down that had a free path to the QB and chose not to put in the effort. There were times he was double-teaming aDT, as a defender swooped around and went right by him. If it wasn’t an “effort” problem, then his inability to see the field and what is happening right in front of him is just as concerning.

Don’t want to get into an argument about it. I hope I am wrong.

Ultimately, this is on the coaches. They had a full year knowing Linderbaum was headed to the NFL as a 1st round pick. How was it that nobody was being groomed? Why did they not consider the portal? If the issue was that He didn’t have a clue … once again terrible planning by the coaches.

I don’t think he did. Looked like he had a chance to make a move to try and slow some folks down that had a free path to the QB and chose not to put in the effort. There were times he was double-teaming aDT, as a defender swooped around and went right by him. If it wasn’t an “effort” problem, then his inability to see the field and what is happening right in front of him is just as concerning.

Ultimately, this is on the coaches. They had a full year knowing Linderbaum was headed to the NFL as a 1st round pick. How was it that nobody was being groomed? Why did they not consider the portal? If the issue was that He didn’t have a clue … once again terrible planning by the coaches.
They tried to get a Center out of the portal(Grad transfer)...kid chose Michigan. Oluwatami(prolly butchered his name),was a finalist for the Rimington award before heading to Michigan.

They did go after a center in the portal and he went to Michigan. Also both Myslinski and Elsbury were candidates for the job and BOTH were injured in camp. Basically we saw a worst case scenario. I don't see a lack of effort from Jones, but that he was not prepared mentally for all the adjustments needed at the LOS before the snap. This lead to him playing, (and reacting to the cadence to snap the ball on time), slower then was needed. I do think he made progress after an extra month of bowl prep. People forget that once they start games there is VERY little time for individual work. I believe we'll see solid improvement from him this season. If not, its comforting that we have Feth here as well.

In your defense, he was that bad and your concern is legitimate. In his defense he is a very good athlete in the form of Linderbaum by most accounts I’ve ever read….

So it clearly was a head, recognition over thinking type thing….

However so was Spencer’s, so…..

24 carries for 67 yards in the bowl game. 2.8 yards per carry. If we want to call that progress I’m going to disagree. Labas actually was pretty decent going 14-24. LaPorta and the defense as usual were the stars. It’s just time for this group of guys to step up on the o line. Game to fast, etc is what it is. Go block someone.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
There was a lot of progress in the bowl game. Do you realize how hard of a dt to oc transition can be.
If there wasn't reasonable progress being made in that transition during the year, he shouldn't have stayed on the field. That's why we have coaches. I don't think any of us, in our lifetimes of watching college football, have ever seen an OL be more inept and look so clueless. It feels like there's a back story there someplace.

If there wasn't reasonable progress being made in that transition during the year, he shouldn't have stayed on the field. That's why we have coaches. I don't think any of us, in our lifetimes of watching college football, have ever seen an OL be more inept and look so clueless. It feels like there's a back story there someplace.
Perhaps you've forgotten (or are too young to remember) the 1999 team.

There's a good chance Jones stayed on the field because he was the best option, despite the obvious problems.

Perhaps you've forgotten (or are too young to remember) the 1999 team.

There's a good chance Jones stayed on the field because he was the best option, despite the obvious problems.

Well that’s pretty much a no brainer to me. Our fans that seem to always think we have a “magical” fix on the bench, even after multiple injuries?!

I mean….I never know what to say…”ok” I guess!

Hey our center sucks, we have 2 other extremely young centers who Are also hurt. Multiple injuries up and down the line and poor play everywhere, but hey surely we have better sitting on the bench…

Doh!!!

Last edited:
They did go after a center in the portal and he went to Michigan. Also both Myslinski and Elsbury were candidates for the job and BOTH were injured in camp. Basically we saw a worst case scenario. I don't see a lack of effort from Jones, but that he was not prepared mentally for all the adjustments needed at the LOS before the snap. This lead to him playing, (and reacting to the cadence to snap the ball on time), slower then was needed. I do think he made progress after an extra month of bowl prep. People forget that once they start games there is VERY little time for individual work. I believe we'll see solid improvement from him this season. If not, its comforting that we have Feth here as well.
Hawks went after former Cornell University transfer, Hunter Nourzad too ... he ultimately went to PSU (where he started 8 games last year and played in 11).

I know that the guy who chose Michigan and the guy who chose PSU weren't the only targets we pursued weren't the only ones either.

The false narrative that Iowa didn't go after transfer portal guys is annoying and uninformed. We just missed on the guys we were going after ... which sucks ... but it was the reality of the situation.

Also, you don't just get a guy to fill a spot ... because you also want to make sure that the guy will fit. You land a guy who comes from a different system OR a guy who uses technique that we don't ... then the guy is AT BEST a developmental project. As many folks pointed out ... that's not the sort of guy we needed.

Lastly, those who comment about what the coaches didn't anticipate ... they need to think about the following factors:
  • Linderbaum left when he still had 2 years of collegiate eligibility remaining
  • Ince had left ... that was a surprise too.
  • Britt kept on getting injured ... he was a guy we had high hopes for at C.
  • Mylinski has been nearly continuously injured since hitting campus.
If you look at the above ... anticipating so many injuries at a single spot ... along with attrition AND having a guy leave so early ... you're telling me that can all be anticipated? That's normal?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT