ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking out loud: 2023 OL

Hawks went after former Cornell University transfer, Hunter Nourzad too ... he ultimately went to PSU (where he started 8 games last year and played in 11).

I know that the guy who chose Michigan and the guy who chose PSU weren't the only targets we pursued weren't the only ones either.

The false narrative that Iowa didn't go after transfer portal guys is annoying and uninformed. We just missed on the guys we were going after ... which sucks ... but it was the reality of the situation.

Also, you don't just get a guy to fill a spot ... because you also want to make sure that the guy will fit. You land a guy who comes from a different system OR a guy who uses technique that we don't ... then the guy is AT BEST a developmental project. As many folks pointed out ... that's not the sort of guy we needed.

Lastly, those who comment about what the coaches didn't anticipate ... they need to think about the following factors:
  • Linderbaum left when he still had 2 years of collegiate eligibility remaining
  • Ince had left ... that was a surprise too.
  • Britt kept on getting injured ... he was a guy we had high hopes for at C.
  • Mylinski has been nearly continuously injured since hitting campus.
If you look at the above ... anticipating so many injuries at a single spot ... along with attrition AND having a guy leave so early ... you're telling me that can all be anticipated? That's normal?
I don’t see hardly anyone on here complaining about us going after guys in the transfer portal in this thread. They’re complaining about a Center and o line that we’re basically still whiffing on guys 12 games into the season. Last year is water under the bridge with the o line. They need to be better this year, and yes, we need to be healthy. They were a part of an offense that was the worst in Iowa history.

I hope one of the options being explored is Feth at Center. I do not believe we can win with Jones at Center. We have lots of options at OG.

I have never seen such an inability to block the guy lined up across from you, but his inability to even RECOGNIZE a defensive player coming from another part of the line on a stunt, much less even get a pinkie on the guy … just a horror show.

At some point, if you see a guy flying toward the backfield in your area, you need to at least make an attempt to slow him down. It could be that he isn’t quick enough , mentally, to react OR he just isn’t aware of what is happening on the field in front of him. Either way, it’s a terrifying situation. Someone else must be deserving of an opportunity.

That may not be popular. I am rooting for the kid, but I do not see any possibility that he can play D1 center. That’s just the way I see it.
The fairest thing for Jones would be to move him back to DL where he could excel.

The fairest thing for Jones would be to move him back to DL where he could excel.
Through their collective recruiting efforts, they don't have anything else that they think can play the position...Myslinski has been hurt, and anything else they have recruited appears to have a lack of confidence by the staff...

I don’t see hardly anyone on here complaining about us going after guys in the transfer portal in this thread. They’re complaining about a Center and o line that we’re basically still whiffing on guys 12 games into the season. Last year is water under the bridge with the o line. They need to be better this year, and yes, we need to be healthy. They were a part of an offense that was the worst in Iowa history.
You are absolutely correct. Lack of help from the portal is being used as an avoidance in this thread. The issue is that the OL gurus of KF, BF, and Barnett couldn't even find a guy-third team, fourth team, fifth team,.....that could at least get in a defender's way. It was just massive failure by all of them.

I hope one of the options being explored is Feth at Center. I do not believe we can win with Jones at Center. We have lots of options at OG.

I have never seen such an inability to block the guy lined up across from you, but his inability to even RECOGNIZE a defensive player coming from another part of the line on a stunt, much less even get a pinkie on the guy … just a horror show.

At some point, if you see a guy flying toward the backfield in your area, you need to at least make an attempt to slow him down. It could be that he isn’t quick enough , mentally, to react OR he just isn’t aware of what is happening on the field in front of him. Either way, it’s a terrifying situation. Someone else must be deserving of an opportunity.

That may not be popular. I am rooting for the kid, but I do not see any possibility that he can play D1 center. That’s just the way I see it.
"Can't win" with Jones at center? How many games? More than 8?

Hawks went after former Cornell University transfer, Hunter Nourzad too ... he ultimately went to PSU (where he started 8 games last year and played in 11).

I know that the guy who chose Michigan and the guy who chose PSU weren't the only targets we pursued weren't the only ones either.

The false narrative that Iowa didn't go after transfer portal guys is annoying and uninformed. We just missed on the guys we were going after ... which sucks ... but it was the reality of the situation.

Also, you don't just get a guy to fill a spot ... because you also want to make sure that the guy will fit. You land a guy who comes from a different system OR a guy who uses technique that we don't ... then the guy is AT BEST a developmental project. As many folks pointed out ... that's not the sort of guy we needed.

Lastly, those who comment about what the coaches didn't anticipate ... they need to think about the following factors:
  • Linderbaum left when he still had 2 years of collegiate eligibility remaining
  • Ince had left ... that was a surprise too.
  • Britt kept on getting injured ... he was a guy we had high hopes for at C.
  • Mylinski has been nearly continuously injured since hitting campus.
If you look at the above ... anticipating so many injuries at a single spot ... along with attrition AND having a guy leave so early ... you're telling me that can all be anticipated? That's normal?
Question for the OL experts here; is the zone blocking scheme still effective or has its time passed us by and we can no longer expect this scheme to work?

You are absolutely correct. Lack of help from the portal is being used as an avoidance in this thread. The issue is that the OL gurus of KF, BF, and Barnett couldn't even find a guy-third team, fourth team, fifth team,.....that could at least get in a defender's way. It was just massive failure by all of them.

We agree it’s on the coaches. With that said how many college Fball teams would u say have a good center 4 deep. I’ll hang up and wait…

A non-response will be good enough…😎

We agree it’s on the coaches. With that said how many college Fball teams would u say have a good center 4 deep. I’ll hang up and wait…

A non-response will be good enough…😎
Is it more or less than the number of teams that have someone go from DL to starting center?
Felt like they tried to catch lightning in a bottle twice. I am projecting far better timing at the position so hopefully that leads to improvement.

Perhaps you've forgotten (or are too young to remember) the 1999 team.

There's a good chance Jones stayed on the field because he was the best option, despite the obvious problems.
Yeah. I'm not sure why people keep thinking that the coaches were hiding these better linemen and QB's on the bench somewhere. And I'm not trying to defend anyone either. It's 100% on the staff to recruit, develop and gameplan personnel for success. The one thing I think we can all be confident of is that what we saw was the best they had to work with which unfortunately wasn't very good.

So your natural assumption is, he is automatically better than the 10 guys slated to play significant minutes?

Talk to me about that?

So your natural assumption is, he is automatically better than the 10 guys slated to play significant minutes?

Talk to me about that?
Not necessarily.
Center play was grim last year. Giving a REAL Center (Feth) a shot would be wise.
Supposedly a weight room warrior which would give him a good shot at DL.

Well that’s pretty much a no brainer to me. Our fans that seem to always think we have a “magical” fix on the bench, even after multiple injuries?!

I mean….I never know what to say…”ok” I guess!

Hey our center sucks, we have 2 other extremely young centers who Are also hurt. Multiple injuries up and down the line and poor play everywhere, but hey surely we have better sitting on the bench…

Doh!!!
Yeah why didn't the 49ers have a RB that could easily play QB when Purdy got hurt?? I mean it's easy.

Reactions: cmhawks99

Obituary​

Cody John Ince, 23, passed away unexpectedly at his home near Grantsburg, Wisconsin on Saturday, July 15, 2023. Cody was born on December 18, 1999, in St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin to Tammy and Marty Ince.
Cody leaves to celebrate his memory, his fiancé, Olivia Tucker, Grantsburg, WI; his mother and father, Tammy and Marty Ince, Luck, WI; his sister, Carly Ince and her fiancé, Drew Alderman, Frederic, WI; his maternal grandmother, Lola Royer, Inver Grove Heights, MN, his paternal grandmother, Betty Ince, Luck, WI aunts, uncles, cousins and other family and friends. He was preceded in death by his grandfathers, Eugene Ince, Les Royer, Gary Vandelinde, and cousin, Adam Peterson.
Cody’s family will greet visitors on Saturday, July 22, 2023, from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM with a Celebration of Life at 4:00 PM officiated by Rev. Angie Kutney and followed by a continued celebration at the BrowTine Event Center, 1361 100th Street, Amery, Wisconsin. Honorary Pallbearers will be Hunter Pedersen, Landan Paulsen, Levi Paulsen, Jack Heflin, Corey Sandberg and Drew Alderman.
The location of the visitation and celebration of life is currently being determined and will be announced on Tuesday. Please check back.
In Lieu of flowers, please donate memorials to the University of Iowa Children's Hospital in Cody’s name. Please feel free to leave your card/donation at the Visitation/Celebration of Life and Cody’s family will see that it is properly received by the Children’s Hospital.
A full obituary will be posted soon.
The Kolstad Family Funeral Home of Centuria has been entrusted with arrangements.
To plant a beautiful memorial tree in memory of Cody John Ince, please visit our Tree Store.

Services​

ONLINE MEMORY & PHOTO SHARING EVENT
View Tribute Book
Orders begin printing on July 27
Online Event

IN LOVING MEMORY OF​

Cody Ince​

DECEMBER 18, 1999-JULY 15, 2023​

Look inside to read what others
have shared

Family and friends are coming together online to create a special keepsake. Every memory left on the online obituary will be automatically included in the book.

You can still show your support by planting a memorial tree in the memory of Cody John Ince
Plant a tree in memory of Cody

Tribute Wall​

Share a Memory

Plant a tree in memory of Cody
An environmentally-friendly option
Plant a tree
MemorialTree.png

1 tree planted in memory of Cody

i
Tribute Book
Share your memory to the online obituary to be included inside this special keepsake book.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF​

Cody John Ince​

DECEMBER 18, 1999 - JULY 15, 2023​

Orders begin printing
July 27
Loved ones are filling the book with memories
View Book

There are 2 photos available in the gallery
View All Gallery Uploads
Memorial Tree

July 17, 2023 5:43 PM
A Memorial Tree was planted for Cody John Ince
We are deeply sorry for your loss ~ the staff at Kolstad Family Funeral Home
Join in honoring their life - plant a memorial tree

B

Bonnie Hansen
July 17, 2023 2:12 PM

So beyond sad for all of you. We had the honor of "knowing" Cody when he was a player for the Hawkeyes and Landan and Levi took him under their wings and became life long friends, teammates, hunters, fishermen together and made so many memories - He and his beautiful family will always be in our hearts and prayers. God give you faith and strength always. Doug and Bonnie Hansen aka Papa Doug and Gma BDawg

Comment

Donations​

Make a donation in memory of Cody​

You may make a donation pledge via our website.
When you make a pledge, we will fill out a card with your information and pass it along to the family.
Once you have entered your pledge, our website will automatically provide you with the contact details of the respective charity so that you can independently remit your donation.
Pledge donation to a charity of your choosing

Yes, super surprised by this… Even confused apparently we do have some individual talent if we can put it together!
Colby was placed at tackle for lack of any other viable options. He was an effective guard, not so much an effective tackle. I'm hoping 🙏 tackle doesn't look anything like last year, but tackle and center are still question marks until we see different.

Question for the OL experts here; is the zone blocking scheme still effective or has its time passed us by and we can no longer expect this scheme to work?
Blocking scheme is not the problem.

Especially, given some of the impressive, behemoth talents that exist these days at DT ... a single guy cannot match up against a guy like that. Therein lies the advantage of zone-schemes ... it provides a natural and adaptive framework for allocating blocking resources.

However, the caveat of having all that power of adaptability is that it requires guys to communicate really well together AND for guys to be very coordinated in how they move relative to one another. If guys on the OL move out of sync ... then that opens up opportunities for opposing Ds to exploit.

This caveat, as you might imagine, implies that good zone blocking tends to have a little bit more of a learning curve.

Anyhow, in the standard "cat-and-mouse" game played on the schematic level ... the Hawks frequently counter Ds that try to "cheat" against our zone by mixing in more gap-scheme elements. Thus, schematically we're not a one-trick pony.

I was wondering what happened to Davidikov and then saw a mention of a medical issue. Is he gone from the team or may he be coming back if medically able to do so. During the recruiting process we were hearing he was a can't miss prospect. Hopefully he will return in good health.

I was wondering what happened to Davidikov and then saw a mention of a medical issue. Is he gone from the team or may he be coming back if medically able to do so. During the recruiting process we were hearing he was a can't miss prospect. Hopefully he will return in good health.
I believe that for all intents and purposes, he is off the team.

Is it more or less than the number of teams that have someone go from DL to starting center?
Felt like they tried to catch lightning in a bottle twice. I am projecting far better timing at the position so hopefully that leads to improvement.
🤞🏻🤞🏻Tough gig getting rushed into new position that has as many responsibilities as the center has. A years experience and working on technique this off season will go a long way on the O-line consistency this fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Packer54 and F5n5
Yes, super surprised by this… Even confused apparently we do have some individual talent if we can put it together!
He is a guard. I will believe Dunker at T if and when it happens. Life was moving fast for him at G. But a year of experience helps.

I imagine he (Dunker) wins the Hay bale toss tomorrow night in Solon. Won it last year.

He is a guard. I will believe Dunker at T if and when it happens. Life was moving fast for him at G. But a year of experience helps.

I imagine he (Dunker) wins the Hay bale toss tomorrow night in Solon. Won it last year.

If we even have an average Oline, we excel, in my opinion!

That's the key. The move from DL to center is a rare one and they had spring practice, pre-season, and the season itself to see that in this case, it wasn't working. But did nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT