ADVERTISEMENT

This Dawn Staley really has issues with CC…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
And Iowa. I mean honestly it’s like she goes out of here way to say contrarian things. I doubt there is anyone in the nation that doesn’t know CC is going number one and yet decides to prop up Rickea Jackson from Tennessee as the top pick…

I’m personally beginning to think she has issues with white people.

It is funny however the level of frustration CC has appeared to have cause two of the tyrants of the sport in Mulkey & Staley

And Iowa. I mean honestly it’s like she goes out of here way to say contrarian things. I doubt there is anyone in the nation that doesn’t know CC is going number one and yet decides to prop up Rickea Jackson from Tennessee as the top pick…

It is funny however the level of frustration CC has appeared to have cause two of the tyrants of the sport in Mulkey & Staley
She is the John Thompson of her time.

I've kind of gotten over the whole Staley thing for the most part. I read MOST of her comments more that she just thinks that there are A LOT of really good players in the womens game right now, and CC has caused almost a vacuum in the media, where she has sucked all the oxygen from the room and there is literally nothing left for the other players. Deserved, no doubt, and yet I can get the frustration of Staley, and Moran to a degree...

I've kind of gotten over the whole Staley thing for the most part. I read MOST of her comments more that she just thinks that there are A LOT of really good players in the womens game right now, and CC has caused almost a vacuum in the media, where she has sucked all the oxygen from the room and there is literally nothing left for the other players. Deserved, no doubt, and yet I can get the frustration of Staley, and Moran to a degree...

This is a good follow up. It would be frustrating. Honestly Im a fan and it gets irritating to me during a broadcast.

I'm pretty sure things were misquoted or taken out of context, and people were looking for clickbait.

Dawn was quoted as saying, “top pick in the WNBA Draft without a doubt. This year really helped her on both sides of the basketball. She’s defending a lot more. She’s rebounding. I mean, she can score at will however you want it. She can score, and she did that to us.”

It was during a postgame press conference, and she complimented a player on the opposing team. She likely said or meant "(A) top pick in the WNBA Draft," which Rickea is.

We don't always need to overreact to these things; she has complimented CC enough and clearly respects her, as she has won the Staley Award every year since she has been in college. Plus, CC is doing just fine. lol

I'm pretty sure things were misquoted or taken out of context, and people were looking for clickbait.

Dawn was quoted as saying, “top pick in the WNBA Draft without a doubt. This year really helped her on both sides of the basketball. She’s defending a lot more. She’s rebounding. I mean, she can score at will however you want it. She can score, and she did that to us.”

It was during a postgame press conference, and she complimented a player on the opposing team. She likely said or meant "(A) top pick in the WNBA Draft," which Rickea is.

We don't always need to overreact to these things; she has complimented CC enough and clearly respects her, as she has won the Staley Award every year since she has been in college. Plus, CC is doing just fine. lol
And what a rematch it would be. SC has lost ONE game in the last 2 and 1/2 seasons, ONE! that final four matchup with Iowa.....

She proved she was a racist last year.

Yes, we were due for another thread where Hawk fans can whine whenever someone dares not bowing down to Clark 24/7. Hawk fans acting like LIV golfers bitching about the OWGR.
mulkey and staley's comments were simply meant to guilt caitlyn into not coming back for a 6th year.
CC does suck the oxygen out of the room and people of the SEC hate that. I do agree that there is a minor racial component to it but I think it's more about getting rid of CC.
5th year

Why is she being constantly asked about Caitlin Clark? I would get annoyed too.

Yeah, I get the backlash. Remember the Tim Tebow coverage on ESPN? Were you annoyed too?
She brings it up herself often. The night CC broke Plums NCAA record, Staley brought it up herself out of the blue during her press conference asking if Clark had broken the record. When she was told that she had and had 23 in the firstQ and 49 for the game, Staley just chuckled and said 'of course"....

She brings it up herself often. The night CC broke Plums NCAA record, Staley brought it up herself out of the blue during her press conference asking if Clark had broken the record. When she was told that she had and had 23 in the firstQ and 49 for the game, Staley just chuckled and said 'of course"....
It was the biggest thing of the evening, so she asked about it, 'chuckled', and said, "Of course," because CC did it in CC fashion. I don't know how that is negative. It was classic Caitlin lol

Yep, Rickea is a projected top 5 pick.

mulkey and staley's comments were simply meant to guilt caitlyn into not coming back for a 6th year.
CC does suck the oxygen out of the room and people of the SEC hate that. I do agree that there is a minor racial component to it but I think it's more about getting rid of CC.
Shit, she has potentially 2 years left?

You are just coming to this conclusion?? Oh wait, according to @shikreto only white people can be racist.

I don’t know that is one of the reasons why I get on this board. I do evaluate differing opinions from mine, especially coming from someone whose opinion I trust and respect…..

I do think she’s pretty damn bitter, but I do think it’s possible she was taken out of context, and as many have said, I think there are some of us Iowa fans that have gotten really tired of watching a broadcast that is all about Caitlyn… it does get tiresome & I don’t blame her, she is spectacular but I’m gonna tell you These girls around her are playing their asses off.

Kate Martin is having an absolutely career year. She’s a hell of a basketball player and Hannah, if she can find a jump shot is going to be an absolute star….

And how can you not love watching Feurbach & Affolter improve and give massive effort game after game..

It was most likely taken out of context like most people do in the media.

Shes called CC one if not the greatest basketball players of all time. Shes been nothing but complimentary about her and her game. Last year she was just angry and bitter they lost and took it to extremes.

This year she’s been praising her not so much Kim Mulkey but she’s something else! CC has saved the women’s game viewership averages for men and women’s games have almost been the same this year which is incredible!

It was most likely taken out of context like most people do in the media.

Shes called CC one if not the greatest basketball players of all time. Shes been nothing but complimentary about her and her game. Last year she was just angry and bitter they lost and took it to extremes.

This year she’s been praising her not so much Kim Mulkey but she’s something else! CC has saved the women’s game viewership averages for men and women’s games have almost been the same this year which is incredible!

Are you from Fairfield ?

"The" top pick in the WNBA draft vs. "a" top pick in the WNBA draft is a pretty big distinction. The way she said it implied she meant "the" which would've been a clear dig at CC given all the media attention around her and Indiana, but who knows. And I don't think Staley picks the recipient of the Dawn Staley award, it's just named after her.

You are just coming to this conclusion?? Oh wait, according to @shikreto only white people can be racist.
It's all about race, and sexuality.

CC is a straight(a big deal with them), white baller. NONE of them have seen the likes of her before and it irks them tremendously that she gets all of the, deserved, attention she receives.

Oh. That's different. Not a good look.

:mad:

Rickea Jackson, though, a few others, whose opinions I’d trust as much as I do yours have suggested, she was referencing her as “A” top pick in the draft. The way I read it she said she was the top pick in the draft🤷‍♂️ and yes it felt like an unnecessary jab. Even silly considering what we all pretty much know…

It’s also why I’ve easily come around to that other way of thinking, because to me if she did it on purpose it was pretty stupid…

They should've done a better job of grifting off that attention Clark got and brought to the women's game rather than get bitter and jealous that she is stealing their thunder.

Rickea Jackson, though, a few others, whose opinions I’d trust as much as I do yours have suggested, she was referencing her as “A” top pick in the draft. The way I read it she said she was the top pick in the draft🤷‍♂️ and yes it felt like an unnecessary jab. Even silly considering what we all pretty much know…

It’s also why I’ve easily come around to that other way of thinking, because to me if she did it on purpose it was pretty stupid…
"A" top pick is fair. Context is everything.

Reactions: cmhawks99
They should've done a better job of grifting off that attention Clark got and brought to the women's game rather than get bitter and jealous that she is stealing their thunder.

They really should have, it was an odd flex, that could pretty much only come off as bitter and jealous.

But as other side pointed out, she has said some nice things about her

Last edited:
It was the biggest thing of the evening, so she asked about it, 'chuckled', and said, "Of course," because CC did it in CC fashion. I don't know how that is negative. It was classic Caitlin lol
To be clear, at NO point did I say it was a negative comment. Never said that. Someone asked why she's always asked about CC, and I said that she has brought her up herself without being asked. Fact. And I never took her comment as negative. More just like in knowing amazement.
Yeah, Gainbridge... which owns naming rights to the Pacers/Fever arena... just signed Caitlin Clark as a brand ambassador because the Fever is going to pick Rickea Jackson in the draft. Lol.
Yep. As I said when CC announced she's turning pro, this has all been worked out already between Excel and the Fever. CC signing with Gainbridge simply confirms it....

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT