ADVERTISEMENT

This is Fran's Best Coaching Year At Iowa

irunlikeAcieEarl

HR Heisman
Mar 12, 2004
We've argued his T.O. usage, we've complained about his defense, we've complained about his lineup. I think this is the most dramatic improvement from the previous seasons in Iowa basketball history. I will acknowledge, that I've only known the Iowa basketball program since the mid to late 80's. I get that players are making plays on the court , but he seems liked he has reinvented himself, as a coach.

I think the biggest lesson is that Fran is willing to learn from his mistakes last year. the defensive turn around is amazing.

It also helps adding a guy like weiskamp.

Last year I think the guys wanted to win but didn't have the defense/coaching to win close games nor did they have the options to score.

Weiskamp, jbo, and Conner all want the ball to end the game.
Tc, Garza, baer, moss are never a sure thing individually but as a group usually one of them is in a good position to score/rebound when needed.

I also believe all of these guys have bought into the system. Each guy has a role and they all bring something different.

Last years team under-performed, this years has over-performed (safe to say nobody saw 20-5 coming). It seems odd, but I feel like in his 9th season at Iowa, Fran's legacy has yet to be written.

Reactions: dawgs_04
I'm all for giving Fran credit after the pounding he's taken here, but this thread would not exist if JBo and Joe hadn't hit last second shots. Back to back losses to NW and Rutgers? The torches and pitchforks would be out, even though it was the same coaching job either way.

The threes are falling when most needed but this is iowa they will clank thw rim sooner or later just enjoy this fun season.

I'm all for giving Fran credit after the pounding he's taken here, but this thread would not exist if JBo and Joe hadn't hit last second shots. Back to back losses to NW and Rutgers? The torches and pitchforks would be out, even though it was the same coaching job either way.

Exactly, at the end of the day, players need to make plays. All coaches can do is put the players in positions to succeed.

In Fran’s prior years, we had plenty of opportunities to win close games but either the bounces didn’t go our way or we just couldn’t come up with the big plays/stops we needed. This year’s team has been put in many of the same positions as prior years, but the bounces and big plays are going our way.

My personal opinion is that Fran didn’t deserve most of the blame he got for losing close games in prior years, and he similarly should not get much credit for the close wins this year.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT