ADVERTISEMENT

Fran is a fool

Wango Z Tango

Team MVP
Dec 31, 2004
Chicago
I wish Head Basketball Coach Fran Mc. was as passionate about coaching his players during the game as he is about screaming obscenities at the referees. With the exception of a very fun Iowa / Creighton game this year so far has been sad. Play Owen Freeman more minutes than your under-productive son. Start Owen Freeman, let your son come off the bench.

I think he realizes he just doesn't have the talent this year. He doesn't know what else to do.

I think he realizes he just doesn't have the talent this year. He doesn't know what else to do.
Maybe he could teach fundamentals of defense, offensive sets and O rebounding, and rebounding and shooting technique, closing out and...and.... at least get them to look sound on the basic.

He should reset defensive expectations. The freshman seem to at least be willing defenders.
You can see poor defensive effort and technique very quickly with players by their off the ball positioning, whether they are using good footwork, and very importantly how much they use their legs and bend their knees to get in a strong defensive position.

If I watch a game and see a player on defense who hardly ever bends his legs but just shuffles them then that is a guy who is going to get beat. So Fran should reward those with good defensive effort and vice versa.

Disclaimer: I have hardly watched the hawk men because of football team and it is not surprising to me to hear how they are struggling.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Dude actually flatly stated in an interview that he doesn't coach defense during practice.
I listened to a podcast on Everything Iowa with JBo. He said they do practice defense..a lot. He said Iowa will never be Top 20 defense because of how they play...fast with more possessions per game. I agree with him. He said coaches wanted them Top 75 or better.

Reactions: Warthog99
I listened to a podcast on Everything Iowa with JBo. He said they do practice defense..a lot. He said Iowa will never be Top 20 defense because of how they play...fast with more possessions per game. I agree with him. He said coaches wanted them Top 75 or better.
This is not how defenses are ranked. Defensive efficiency has nothing to do with points allowed per game or the number of possessions. It's determined by points allowed per possession.

This is not how defenses are ranked. Defensive efficiency has nothing to do with points allowed per game or the number of possessions. It's determined by points allowed per possession.
He was referring to scoring defense which is what the average fan looks at.

I agree with what you are saying.

Reactions: Warthog99
Doesn't McCaffery still have his call-in radio show every week? I will start listening so I can hear all the negative comments you guys have to try and straighten him out. Ought to be enlightening.

He was referring to scoring defense which is what the average fan looks at.

I agree with what you are saying.
I guess the average fan is an idiot, then. Those are the same fans who say Lickliter's Iowa teams were great defensively because they played games in the 50s or 60s, when their defensive efficiency was actually ranked in the 100's. That final year, it was closer to 200.

Doesn't McCaffery still have his call-in radio show every week? I will start listening so I can hear all the negative comments you guys have to try and straighten him out. Ought to be enlightening.
lol you really think most Iowa basketball fans care about a fluffed up call in show or Fran right now

Reactions: EasyHawk

When you run/play uptembo/don't rebound then you give up more easy baskets/more second chance baskets.

Bo Ryan might have been a turd, but he was a great coach and he got a lot more out of playing 3 or 4 white guys than Fran has ever gotten. One thing Bo never did was pick up the tempo on offense or full court press on defense and Bo didn't zone. Bo taught white guys to bump with body and flop on defense---Fran teaches them to Ole or just lose guys entirely.

lol you really think most Iowa basketball fans care about a fluffed up call in show or Fran right now
You want to constantly bitch about McCaffery and his family, bitch to him! So brave to call him every name in the book on an anonymous forum. Call him and bitch to him as close to man to man as you'll ever get. I'm sure he will appreciate your vast knowledge of the game and tips on how he can do better.

Reactions: RLMHAWK
You want to constantly bitch about McCaffery and his family, bitch to him! So brave to call him every name in the book on an anonymous forum. Call him and bitch to him as close to man to man as you'll ever get. I'm sure he will appreciate your vast knowledge of the game and tips on how he can do better.
Now we are adding calling into a call in show to this lame argument? Is Fran that hard to defend right now that you've hit the bottom of excuses for him?

Reactions: skydog0784
The more you shoot the more you make. I played on a team where our tallest guy was 6ft (class A Iowa team). 2 teams in our conference went to state my senior year. One of these teams were 6ft9, 6ft6 & 6ft6 front line. We played them within 5 pts. Our first year coach wanted us to be a slow down half court team. We told him we were run & gun, wear the other teams out, full court press for the full game. We were 11-9 that year and average 75+ pts a game. We were in your shorts defense & run the hell out of em offense. Fans loved our style & we were lucky to win 11 games as we were overmatched in the paint. Lived off steals and fast break points.

My point is, with our lack of defensive stoppers, Fran should play Helter Skelter with 9-10 players full court pressing, speed the other team up & get into fast paced full court games. Freshman would get plenty of playing time rotating in/out. Keep the pressure on. Like Dr. Tom used to do. When you lack talent, throw everything you got at em. Maybe adopt the Grinnell style? lol

Slam Dunk Basketball GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

Reactions: Fan In Black
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT