ADVERTISEMENT

This is how the folk celebrate the 4th in Chi town.

Pete Malloy

HR All-American
Oct 14, 2022
Trendy Waterbury Neighborhood - Des Moines

73 people shot, 11 fatally, over July Fourth weekend in Chicago​

The long July Fourth weekend in Chicago began with four men shot in Chicago Lawn and ended with five people shot and a man beaten to death in an attack in Englewood.

In between, a 15-year-old girl and her mother were killed, a 5-year-old girl was grazed by a bullet and an 85-year-old man was shot during a robbery. Boys 14 and 15 were also among the wounded.

At least 73 people were shot in the city during the four-day weekend and 11 of them died, a slightly higher toll than last year when the holiday only lasted three days, according to data kept by the Sun-Times.

The last time the holiday spanned four days was in 2019, and the count was 68 people shot, 5 of them fatally. In 2017, when the holiday covered Saturday through Tuesday like this year, more than 100 people were shot in one of the bloodiest July Fourth weekends in the city’s recent history.

I know what this thread is and what it will lead to.......but to put everyone's hyperbolic responses and crap aside....if there was a mass shooting at a school or grocery store that injured 73 people and killed 11 (or anywhere remotely close or not close to that) there would be the usual threads on here with "Pew Pew" and "T & P's".....

I am 100% for reform to end mass shootings, I have said on here before I don't personally care if they could get rid of all assault rifles and handguns as I have no desire to own either, but to always be dismissive of these threads (even if obvious troll job) is always funny to me......always kind of seems to me that kind of response implies gang violence gun murders are "less important" than those of the white middle class due to "mass shootings"....

Sorry....carry on with the forthcoming usual scheduled programming.

What better way to celebrate the USA than to exercise your 2nd amendment rights in a meaningful way? All I did was put a flag on my mailbox.

Reactions: JustSayOV
The gun violence in Chicago is very sad. I truly hope it doesn’t get worse; which it certainly could looking at the gun death rates in Memphis, Louisville or the entire state of Mississippi! Here are some interesting stats to put the terrible picture in perspective:

State gun death rates per 100K residents:
  • Mississippi: 27.4 😢
  • Louisiana: 24.7
  • Wyoming: 24.0
  • Alaska: 23.6
  • Alabama: 23.5
  • Illinois: 12.9
Gun rate deaths by City: Chicago comes in 10th.

updated_gun_fig2.ashx

State Source (aka why no threads on Mississippi gun deaths?)
City source

The gun violence in Chicago is very sad. I truly hope it doesn’t get worse; which it certainly could looking at the gun death rates in Memphis, Louisville or the entire state of Mississippi! Here are some interesting stats to put the terrible picture in perspective:

updated_gun_fig2.ashx

City source
Excuse makers always love % and ratio's.

Caskets Count More.

updated_gun_fig2.ashx

City source
Well this chart certainly does NOT fit someone’s agenda!

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT