ADVERTISEMENT

This is part of the reason why kids transfer.

kwik44

HR Legend
Gold Member
Mar 6, 2003
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Iowa lost one or two after this season. A slap in the the face for a couple kids that deserved way more than they currently get.

Or, they can be a part of a change in culture :)

giphy.gif

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Iowa lost one or two after this season. A slap in the the face for a couple kids that deserved way more than they currently get.
Not. Gonna. Happen.

Personally I would like to see Patrick McCaffery in there more. Good on both ends of the floor and very active.
He, Nunge, Ke., Joe T., Luka, and Perkins. Ulis can play if needed as well.
Joe W can play and so can a healthy CJ.
JB can run off screens, no dribbling, and Connor chills with Ash.

Reactions: Bigfann1966
I would transfer if I were some of these kids. You see Jobo giving no effort and even (if he gave effort, really couldn't do much to stop anyone) get a ton of minutes. And you see Connor who should probably get 10 minutes a game to rest the real players get over 30 minutes. In the meantime, after you bailed the team out and worked your ass off on defense 2 nights ago, you sit an watch these clowns piss another game away. No thanks.

I will be very surprised if 2/3 guys do not hit the transfer portal. One may even be a current starter. BTW just my personal take/prediction.

Reactions: ChuckBarkley
I would transfer if I were some of these kids. You see Jobo giving no effort and even (if he gave effort, really couldn't do much to stop anyone) get a ton of minutes. And you see Connor who should probably get 10 minutes a game to rest the real players get over 30 minutes. In the meantime, after you bailed the team out and worked your ass off on defense 2 nights ago, you sit an watch these clowns piss another game away. No thanks.

I'm 39, so still relatively young. I grew up playing basketball in the era where you sat if you didn't want to play defense.

I actually thought the defensive energy was good for most of the game, though. Ohio State is just a really good offensive team. However, after Iowa got up 11, the defense relaxed, and that's inexcusable for a veteran team. Perhaps worse is the head coach sticking with the guys on the floor when you had kids on the bench who gave you a spark two nights ago that helped stymie a couple Spartan runs. I honestly don't have an explanation for why Perkins and Joe T sat in the second half of last night's game. It's nonsensical.

I'm 39, so still relatively young. I grew up playing basketball in the era where you sat if you didn't want to play defense.

I actually thought the defensive energy was good for most of the game, though. Ohio State is just a really good offensive team. However, after Iowa got up 11, the defense relaxed, and that's inexcusable for a veteran team. Perhaps worse is the head coach sticking with the guys on the floor when you had kids on the bench who gave you a spark two nights ago that helped stymie a couple Spartan runs. I honestly don't have an explanation for why Perkins and Joe T sat in the second half of last night's game. It's nonsensical.
Jobo got ripped apart all night. Wide open 3 after wide open 3. Some of it is lack of ability to stop them, but he also got really lazy in the 2nd half. Maybe he was tired. But that's on Fran. He has to see it and get Joe T and/or Perkins in there to pick the defensive energy back up. When OSU hit 2 3s to bring it within 6, he should've called a timeout, brought the bench guys in, and drew something up to get a good look. But instead he left the same guys out there and we started chucking bad shots. Awful, awful coaching.

Jobo got ripped apart all night. Wide open 3 after wide open 3. Some of it is lack of ability to stop them, but he also got really lazy in the 2nd half. Maybe he was tired. But that's on Fran. He has to see it and get Joe T and/or Perkins in there to pick the defensive energy back up. When OSU hit 2 3s to bring it within 6, he should've called a timeout, brought the bench guys in, and drew something up to get a good look. But instead he left the same guys out there and we started chucking bad shots. Awful, awful coaching.

100 percent agree.

Good coaches put players of all levels in positions to succeed. Fran really fumbled, again last night.

I hope that guys dont transfer... with JBO and Garza moving on, that will open up a lot of minutes. But if im JT, i tell Fran i want to be the starting PG or i walk. He cant sit another year behind Connor. Connor can pass and play d, it stops there, your starting PG needs to do more than that.

Reactions: Legs94
Let’s not get stupid here. Yes, I am as pissed as anybody that our starters are awful on defense. I am also pissed that Fran continues to play Conner and JBO together. However, those kids mentioned as transfer candidates will be logging major minutes next year. They will not transfer because they can see the future, unlike so many on here.

If a player is told they need to hustle and play defense to earn minutes, a game like last night is discouraging. Because the message is that this isn't true.

I have the explanation and I’ve known this for years now...Fran is not a good coach.
As an in game coach you mean? That I could maybe agree with. But if you mean overall(recruiting, playing style, relationship building) he is the best coach we have had since Lute. That includes Tom Davis, who was an absolute awful awful recruiter whose teams played no defense either.

Fran has strengths and weaknesses. I'm not willing to say he is not a good coach. I will say, though, some of the weaknesses he does possess are pretty glaring.
Agreed. Fran is an overall great college coach and if anyone needs a reminder look what he inherited ten years ago. His in game decisions do leave a little to be desired, especially his subbing patterns. Always been a problem.

Fran is a fantastic college coach. His ability to game plan and draw up OOB plays in game are right near the top of coaches in the Big Ten. His recruiting has been suspect, but improved over the past few years, and his style of play has shown it can compete with (and beat) top teams ... just not consistently unfortunately.

His biggest downfalls in my opinion, which are very substantial, are his timeout usage and his substitution patterns/rotations which can range from baffling to maddening. Coupled with this is his questionable commitment to playing certain players for heavy minutes at the wrong positions over the course of his Iowa coaching career

I suspect when Luka’s gone, Fran’s failures will quickly mount and fans will have enough of a view of his sons to not care if the whole family leaves town.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Let’s not get stupid here. Yes, I am as pissed as anybody that our starters are awful on defense. I am also pissed that Fran continues to play Conner and JBO together. However, those kids mentioned as transfer candidates will be logging major minutes next year. They will not transfer because they can see the future, unlike so many on here.
Agree, the drama around here is mind-boggling. We have nobody new coming in next year to take back-court minutes. Ulis, Joe, Perkins and CJ will split guard minutes.

Reactions: 24 so far
Agreed. Fran is an overall great college coach and if anyone needs a reminder look what he inherited ten years ago. His in game decisions do leave a little to be desired, especially his subbing patterns. Always been a problem.

Fran may seem great when compared to our worst coach ever, however his 96-99 overall conference record, abysmal record in close games, and multiple late season collapses under his tenure prove he is at best an average coach.

He has a conference record of 33-37 the last four years with Luka Garza. Brilliant!

Fran may seem great when compared to our worst coach ever, however his 96-99 overall conference record, abysmal record in close games, and multiple late season collapses under his tenure prove he is at best an average coach.

He has a conference record of 33-37 the last four years with Luka Garza. Brilliant!
Exactly....people keep saying “think about where we were when he arrived...”
And I gotta say it sure seems to me there are less Todd Lickliter program killer type coaches out there. Why not take a chance? It would be one thing if we were consistently competing for Big Ten titles or making deep runs into the tourney but a decade of Fran ball has proven he doesn’t have that in him.
It’s not like he hasn’t had talent, he’s had good to great teams. White, Woodbury, Gessell, Marble, Uthoff, Cook, Jok and many others. But just can’t get it done....0 times has he taken us past the first weekend of the tourney....0 in over 10 seasons.

When did we become ISWho, (clowns) fans? o_O

Reactions: CleteyColgate
What do you mean by "Fran's failures"?

I’m surprised you need to ask:

* inability to adjust in game
* either disregard for, or no ability to teach defense
* same for rebounding as above
* his love for the 6’7” tweener types that don’t have any discernible skill beyond outside shooting
* nepotism
* being a total dick to anybody that asks real questions he thinks are critical

Man, they lost to the #7 team in the country by 4 points without a starter? We are tuuurrrribbbbllleeee!!!!! Ahhhhh, tear it all down!

Relax... everything is going to be fine as long as CJF can come back. They miss their 3rd scoring option and the best player we have at creating his own shot off the dribble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT