ADVERTISEMENT

This is the best specialty fast food sandwich you can buy in America

Loved A&w as a kid growing up in Wisconsin. I only recall seeing one in Iowa. I believe it was Burlington. Just looked and there are actually a couple in the DSM area. Seems like a growth opportunity. But then again, I felt like there has been a growth opportunity in the DSM metro for whiteys and happy Joe’s…
Lot of that stuff was around way back in the 70s and 80s and went away. Plenty of HJs in DSM and every county seat in eastern Iowa, and about every town of 7k+ had a drive-in A&W as well. I remember ordering through the speaker and the window tray full of food (glass mug!) fondly.

because they are the superior cut of fries
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

If you can actually find a clean, properly staffed one (kind of a tall order) Popeye's chicken sandwich is superior to Chik-Fil-A.

giphy.gif
I'm definitely a Popeye's advocate but I had the newish Christ-Fellatio chicken sandwich with the jalapenos and the pimento cheese and it was tap dancing delicious.

I forgot about the GIAHORT hand rule. I’m stopping at Lexington #1 next week. I will GIAHORT the photo of the bbq.
Lexington, NC? I jelly.
Since January mammal meat products have been no-go for me, but I had a really good pulled chicken Sammie the other day from Shortie’s on the north west side of Asheville.
I had to forego the baked beans because of bacon grease but thumbs up to the creamy Mac. Dang.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC Nole OX
The chicken sandwich wars are serious business.

I miss the days when I could get a decent grilled chicken sandwich at a fast food place though. I don’t always want fried foods. Got to make those at home
Every once in awhile I will go to Portillos for their grilled chicken sandwich. It’s solid.

Yep! Hopefully I can find some Yelton’s Best cornmeal and self rising flour in a grocery store. I won’t have time to stop at the grain mill near Greensboro.
Our regional chain Ingles carries Yelton’s IIRC. Lowes Food Stores down in the Piedmont may as well.

• Love
Reactions: TC Nole OX
This Mac and Cheese fried onion straws chicken sandwich from Shaq’s Big Chicken might edge out the Curderburger

Last edited:
A tip if you order a Curderburger, let it sit for a few minutes before biting into it. If the fried cheese patty is freshly cooked, the cheese will drain out like hot molten lava when the crust is broken. After 4 or 5 minutes, it is much better.

Last edited:
Ha!

I'm down 46 pounds since March. :)

Put on a pair of 34 inch waistband dress pants for the first time in 8 years this morning.

Of course, I also haven't had Popeyes since last year 😢
Meant to ask - what did you do to lose 46 pounds?

Congrats!

This Mac and Cheese fried onion straws chicken sandwich from Shaq’s Big Chicken might edge out the Gruberburger

Big Chicken is supposed to be coming to Tallahassee soon according to the local mullet wrapper since mid-2022. But they’ve been saying that for a year and in that time we actually had two Slim Chickens pop up Including the spot where Big Chicken allegedly was planned.

Because Tallahassee desperately needs more fast food chicken places, we only have Chik-fil-As on every city block, multiple Popeyes, multiple KFCs, multiple Bojangles, multiple Guthries, multiple Lindy’s Fried Chicken, multiple Slim Chickens, multiple Krispy Krunchy Chickens, multiple Zaxby’s, multiple Hip Hop Fish and Chickens, multiple Wingstops, Raising Cane’s, Church’s Texas Fried Chicken, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chester’s Fried Chicken, Lemon Pepper Chicken, A-Town Wings, Island Wing Company, Florida Wing Factory, Chicago Chicken and Grill, Mr. Wings, Hot Birdie’s Chicken, California Chicken Grill, Crispy Chicken and Seafood, Hurricane Grill and Wings, Grannie’s Fried Chicken, Radical Wings, Auntie’s Kitchen, O’Lean’s Cafe…….

Big Chicken is supposed to be coming to Tallahassee soon according to the local mullet wrapper since mid-2022. But they’ve been saying that for a year and in that time we actually had two Slim Chickens pop up Including the spot where Big Chicken allegedly was planned.

Because Tallahassee desperately needs more fast food chicken places, we only have Chik-fil-As on every city block, multiple Popeyes, multiple KFCs, multiple Bojangles, multiple Guthries, multiple Lindy’s Fried Chicken, multiple Slim Chickens, multiple Krispy Krunchy Chickens, multiple Zaxby’s, multiple Hip Hop Fish and Chickens, multiple Wingstops, Raising Cane’s, Church’s Texas Fried Chicken, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chester’s Fried Chicken, Lemon Pepper Chicken, A-Town Wings, Island Wing Company, Florida Wing Factory, Chicago Chicken and Grill, Mr. Wings, Hot Birdie’s Chicken, California Chicken Grill, Crispy Chicken and Seafood, Hurricane Grill and Wings, Grannie’s Fried Chicken, Radical Wings, Auntie’s Kitchen, O’Lean’s Cafe…….
This is the glory of the market economy on full display!
Do you think the collective wisdom of GOSPLAN would recognize how many fried chicken joints the people really need?
You want to stand in long lines like Soviet peasant?

miFT9dG.png

Gotdamn, you Floridians must really love your chicken.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Gotdamn, you Floridians must really love your chicken.

I left out that FAMU the HBCU located in Tallahassee next to FSU hosts "Fried Chicken Wednesdays" and half of the black population in the entire city heads to one of their many dining halls to grab fried chicken in the HBCU tradition. And that FSU is famous in recruiting circles for its Honey Fried Chicken as one year the #1 defensive recruit in the country Marvin Wilson said "The best meal I had by far was when I was at Florida State,” he said “They had this thing called 'honey fried chicken.' I was like, 'that sounds kinda suspect,’ so you know I got like one piece. I bit into that one piece of chicken and went and grabbed the pan and put it on the table. We killed that whole pan of honey fried chicken. That's probably the best chicken I've ever had in my life.”

Ha!

I'm down 46 pounds since March. :)

Put on a pair of 34 inch waistband dress pants for the first time in 8 years this morning.

Of course, I also haven't had Popeyes since last year 😢
I'm down 30 lbs myself. Took up biking daily as well (have never done it before) and absolutely loving it!

I'm down 30 lbs myself. Took up biking daily as well (have never done it before) and absolutely loving it!
On a bit of a whim, I'd started doing lap swimming while pool-sitting a buddy's swimming pool this summer. I really got into it and joined the Y. I've found it to be just about the best way to tone and drop some superfluous fat. I'm not quite at my goal weight yet (about 12 pounds to go) but my body shape/body feel is much different since I've started doing laps 3 times a week.

Reactions: Bro D and billanole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT