ADVERTISEMENT

"This is the wildest, most offensive thing I have seen"

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002
high quality GIF

TL;DR Summary:

Cynthia Erivo expressed strong disappointment over a fan-edited "Wicked" movie poster that altered her promotional image as Elphaba. The edit, which went viral on TikTok, modified the official poster to resemble the iconic Broadway version, covering Erivo's eyes. Erivo shared her reaction on Instagram, calling the edit "wildly offensive" and comparing it to other disrespectful portrayals. She emphasized that the movie poster is an "homage, not an imitation" and noted that altering her face erases her humanity and intent. Erivo reposted the original poster, reaffirming her view on its integrity and intent.

Cynthia Erivo Called A Fan Edit Of A "Wicked" Poster "Deeply Hurtful"​

Cynthia Erivo weighed in on recent viral edits of Wicked content, and she's not happy.
I can't identify or name people in images. The person is wearing a strapless, sequined gown with a train, standing in front of a CBS logo backdrop

Kristina Bumphrey / Variety via Getty Images
Recently, Universal dropped its latest promotional image for the upcoming musical movie — starring Cynthia as Elphaba and Ariana Grande as Glinda.
  Universal/ Courtesy Everett Collection

Of course, it's a direct homage to the iconic Broadway musical poster, which is a version of an illustration made for the original San Francisco run of the show.
Box office poster for the musical "Wicked" featuring a witch with a green face

Bruce Glikas / Bruce Glikas / WireImage
However, in a viral TikTok that's been viewed over 7 million times called "Fixing the Wicked movie poster," user @Ferlozar edited Universal's poster to resemble the musical version more — i.e. with Cynthia's eyes covered and Ariana's hands higher.
Two women depicted in "Wicked" poster: one with green skin and a witch's hat, the other whispering. They mirror the animated version below

@ferlozar / Universal / Via tiktok.com
And Cynthia sure saw that edited version, as she posted it on to her Instagram story along with the words, "This is the wildest, most offensive thing I have seen, equal to that awful AI of us fighting, equal to people posing the question, 'is your ***** green.'"
Text: The original poster is an illustration. An homage, not an imitation, and deeply hurtful

Universal/ Courtesy Everett Collection / Via Instagram: @cynthiaerivo
"None of this is funny. None of this is cute. It degrades me. It degrades us. The original poster is an ILLUSTRATION. I am a real life human being, who chose to look right down the barrel of the camera to you, the viewer ...because, without words we communicate with our eyes," she continued.
Two characters from "Wicked" film, Glinda in a fluffy outfit and Elphaba with green skin and a flower in her hair, sitting closely together

niversal Pictures /Courtesy Everett Collection
"Our poster is an homage not an imitation, to edit my face and hide my eyes is to erase me. And that is deeply hurtful," the Emmy, Tony, and Grammy winner noted.
A person at a formal event wearing a floral-themed outfit embellished with petals and sequins

Marleen Moise / Getty Images
Reposting the original, she added, "Let me put this right here, to remind you and cleanse your palette."

It's worth noting that two days ago, Cynthia shared a fan edit of her as Elphaba in a war zone on to her Instagram story.

I saw that. I'm not in her shoes, so I don't know her life. But, it seems like she's taking herself WAY too seriously. She's an actress, playing a part that's been played in the theater by multiple people for >20 years. The poster has always looked the way it looked, until hers didn't. I don't recall the others who've played Elphaba getting worked up that the poster didn't even show them as individuals. It would benefit her to "roll with it" a little more, as these are primarily fans of the musical doing this - people who'd pay to go see the movie. Calling them out and getting angry at them will only fire them up, alienate them, and cost the movie money.

I think you need to attain a certain amount of status to get away with being this big of a narcissist and she’s not there yet. Not even close.
And it’s not like the studio did this. It was some schmuck on the internet. She’s about to Streisand Effect herself.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I saw that. I'm not in her shoes, so I don't know her life. But, it seems like she's taking herself WAY too seriously. She's an actress, playing a part that's been played in the theater by multiple people for >20 years. The poster has always looked the way it looked, until hers didn't. I don't recall the others who've played Elphaba getting worked up that the poster didn't even show them as individuals. It would benefit her to "roll with it" a little more, as these are primarily fans of the musical doing this - people who'd pay to go see the movie. Calling them out and getting angry at them will only fire them up, alienate them, and cost the movie money.
My daughters have seen this play several times, so I'm pretty familiar with the poster, and that was my first reaction.
That was my second reaction, but figured I'd give folks something else to dicker over on a light MAGA day. :cool:

Reactions: NDallasRuss
high quality GIF

TL;DR Summary:

Cynthia Erivo expressed strong disappointment over a fan-edited "Wicked" movie poster that altered her promotional image as Elphaba. The edit, which went viral on TikTok, modified the official poster to resemble the iconic Broadway version, covering Erivo's eyes. Erivo shared her reaction on Instagram, calling the edit "wildly offensive" and comparing it to other disrespectful portrayals. She emphasized that the movie poster is an "homage, not an imitation" and noted that altering her face erases her humanity and intent. Erivo reposted the original poster, reaffirming her view on its integrity and intent.

Cynthia Erivo Called A Fan Edit Of A "Wicked" Poster "Deeply Hurtful"​

Cynthia Erivo weighed in on recent viral edits of Wicked content, and she's not happy.
I can't identify or name people in images. The person is wearing a strapless, sequined gown with a train, standing in front of a CBS logo backdrop

Kristina Bumphrey / Variety via Getty Images
Recently, Universal dropped its latest promotional image for the upcoming musical movie — starring Cynthia as Elphaba and Ariana Grande as Glinda.

Of course, it's a direct homage to the iconic Broadway musical poster, which is a version of an illustration made for the original San Francisco run of the show.
Box office poster for the musical "Wicked" featuring a witch with a green face

Bruce Glikas / Bruce Glikas / WireImage
However, in a viral TikTok that's been viewed over 7 million times called "Fixing the Wicked movie poster," user @Ferlozar edited Universal's poster to resemble the musical version more — i.e. with Cynthia's eyes covered and Ariana's hands higher.
Two women depicted in "Wicked" poster: one with green skin and a witch's hat, the other whispering. They mirror the animated version below

@ferlozar / Universal / Via tiktok.com
And Cynthia sure saw that edited version, as she posted it on to her Instagram story along with the words, "This is the wildest, most offensive thing I have seen, equal to that awful AI of us fighting, equal to people posing the question, 'is your ***** green.'"
Text: The original poster is an illustration. An homage, not an imitation, and deeply hurtful

"None of this is funny. None of this is cute. It degrades me. It degrades us. The original poster is an ILLUSTRATION. I am a real life human being, who chose to look right down the barrel of the camera to you, the viewer ...because, without words we communicate with our eyes," she continued.
Two characters from "Wicked" film, Glinda in a fluffy outfit and Elphaba with green skin and a flower in her hair, sitting closely together

niversal Pictures /Courtesy Everett Collection
"Our poster is an homage not an imitation, to edit my face and hide my eyes is to erase me. And that is deeply hurtful," the Emmy, Tony, and Grammy winner noted.
A person at a formal event wearing a floral-themed outfit embellished with petals and sequins

Marleen Moise / Getty Images
Reposting the original, she added, "Let me put this right here, to remind you and cleanse your palette."

It's worth noting that two days ago, Cynthia shared a fan edit of her as Elphaba in a war zone on to her Instagram story.
53d7f6df-0cb3-4324-b95a-b079d7de209b_text.gif

I take it you haven’t seen Wicked, but her character is not exactly the bad guy. She is portrayed as quite sympathetic.
I have not. Probably not in the format of wizard of oz

I just thought we got to this funny point where entertainment would rarely if ever have a black person be the bad guy. Maybe it changed.

I have not. Probably not in the format of wizard of oz
What is a "Wizard of Oz Format?"
I just thought we got to this funny point where entertainment would rarely if ever have a black person be the bad guy. Maybe it changed.
  • Marquis de Gramont (Shamier Anderson) in John Wick: Chapter 4
  • Rufus Buck (Idris Elba) in The Harder They Fall
  • Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan) in Black Panther
  • Valentine (Samuel L. Jackson) in Kingsman: The Secret Service
  • Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor) in Doctor Strange
  • Baron Samedi (Lance Reddick) in The Dead Don’t Die
  • Victor Sweet (Chiwetel Ejiofor) in Four Brothers
  • Detective Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) in Training Day
  • Candyman (Tony Todd) in Candyman series
  • Simon Phoenix (Wesley Snipes) in Demolition Man
  • Stuckey (Samuel L. Jackson) in Jungle Fever
  • Marcellus Wallace (Ving Rhames) in Pulp Fiction