ADVERTISEMENT

This is the worst Iowa basketball team that I have ever seen.

I'm gonna pick up 3 or 4 fouls fighting through those screens or grabbing the opposing players to keep them from running free to the open spots on the floor. I'm gonna start guarding my opponent at the half court line, out of pure anger/pride. I'm gonna foul out or the coach is gonna yank me out, in that situation.
That's what I'm talking about. Inside or outside. You're not getting open looks on me.
As a player, 8 points was my threshold for points I'll give up before I start fouling or utilizing tactics that are a little dirty. 12 points before I start hard fouling.
You don't sound like a guy brought up in today's AAU basketball culture.

Lickliter was 6-12, 5-13, and 4-14 B1G games in his 3 years.

Fran has a pretty decent shot of doing worse than 4-14 this year.
I think in the Shultz era before Lute Olson, there maybe was a 1 or 2 B1G win season.

The players have packed it in. The body language proves it. Players feed off the fans as much as the fans feed off the team. There is no passion... Fran's blowups do not count.

You don't sound like a guy brought up in today's AAU basketball culture.
You're right about that but you can still get that attitude out of today's AAU players. But you have to demand it. It's Fran's job to set the expectations with his players and then use playing time to enforce those expectations. When I coach, you either play defense with effort and intensity, or you'll get used to the bench. You won't sit on the bench very long before you either A) start playing the defense I expect or B) You quit and I'll find another player that wants to play defense. Either way it's a Win/Win for me.

This might be the worst Big 10 season of my lifetime, and I'm 55.

I don't know the remaining schedule, but if we don't play Illinois and Rutgers at home, might not win a game the rest of this year.
Dude, if you're 55 you might remember Kansas beating Iowa by 60 and IU CAN beating Iowa by 70. Mid 70s Iowa bball was bad, worse than this.

Dude, if you're 55 you might remember Kansas beating Iowa by 60 and IU CAN beating Iowa by 70. Mid 70s Iowa bball was bad, worse than this.
1979 is when I first started watching Iowa sports. I was 8. I guess I got lucky to have missed the mid 70s teams but I was completely spoiled by Iowa sports in the mid 80s, when I was in high school.

what is the lowest win total in a B1G season for Iowa?

what is the lowest win percentage (we didn't always play 18 games)?

Lets face it; when you look at our remaining games, its hard to say, "yeah, that is a sure win."

Sharm had a team in the early 1960s that went 3-11 in conference. Iowa has had at least 2-3 4-14 teams in the 18-game era. Hoping this team doesn't become an all-time stinker.

This might be the worst Big 10 season of my lifetime, and I'm 55.

I don't know the remaining schedule, but if we don't play Illinois and Rutgers at home, might not win a game the rest of this year.

Lute's first year was bad, this is worse.

Dick Schultz never had a 1 or 2 win conference season -- his typical Big Ten record was 5-9.

They weren't competitive but they never got blown out by 40 at home. In 3 quarters, no less. The worst home loss I can find under Lickliter is 18 pts to #10 Michigan St. Jan 9th, 2010.

I remember attending some horrificly boring Lick games and were there not some big road losses like being down 50 at one point at Minny?

Part of that point spread stuff you are comparing is not apples to apples as Lick had his teams take 34 seconds off each possession and then hoist a desperation three.

It’s semantics but this season has been bad no doubt.

Being down 50 At Minnesota?!? WTF is wrong with you?

The biggest losses to those 2 schools:
The Indiana defeat was by 53.
The Kansas defeat was by 35.
The 89-90 team is my all-time favorite for blow-outs (blown-outs?) in the modern era. The team started two seniors who would play in the NBA, was in the top 20 from mid-December to early January, and had four wins against ranked opponents.
But, in the last six games, had losses of 47, 33, and 31 on the road* (giving up at least 118 points in each) and a home loss by 22. The season also included road losses by 21**, 18, and 17, but nothing to match that stretch run. I guess the press worked better at home.

*We had defeated two of those teams earlier in the season in Iowa City.
**Later defeated that team in Iowa City.

They weren't competitive but they never got blown out by 40 at home. In 3 quarters, no less. The worst home loss I can find under Lickliter is 18 pts to #10 Michigan St. Jan 9th, 2010.

I remember attending some horrificly boring Lick games and were there not some big road losses like being down 50 at one point at Minny?

Part of that point spread stuff you are comparing is not apples to apples as Lick had his teams take 34 seconds off each possession and then hoist a desperation three.

It’s semantics but this season has been bad no doubt.

I was thinking the same thing in terms of Licks teams shortened the game.

But then I think this years team wouldn’t be able to run an offense for 30 seconds consistently without avoiding a turnover or a desperation shot at the buzzer. Then there is the whole defense thing...

Anyone who watches college basketball has to see how bad iowa is. I mean watching mid majors the other night w/more talent than Iowa.

I support Fran but it’s getting harder to after seeing this team stink it up. I would think as the season goes on you would see improvement. Not the case here. Our offense is horrible and the defense is non-exsistent. Fran has to clean some cupboards for next year.
8 years into a coach's tenure @ a Power 5 school in a premier conference is not supposed to result in talent level that makes the school's fans see mid-major programs with more talent.

Lickliter was 6-12, 5-13, and 4-14 B1G games in his 3 years.

Fran has a pretty decent shot of doing worse than 4-14 this year.
I think in the Shultz era before Lute Olson, there maybe was a 1 or 2 B1G win season.

I was wondering about that so I checked: 70-71, 4 B10 wins; 71-72, 5; 72-73, 6; 73-74, 5.

I was wondering about that so I checked: 70-71, 4 B10 wins; 71-72, 5; 72-73, 6; 73-74, 5.

The Schultz era also had some good guard play. Candy LaPrince an all-time underrated Hawk.

the team has become painful to watch and not just for us iowa fans. today i was streaming a local college game out here on the east coast and the announcer said that he had saturday off and happened to see the iowa-purdue game. he then went on to describe how amazing bad the iowa team was- he seemed pretty shocked by what he witnessed. i have little interest in watching their games and i have listened to or watched almost all their games for the past 40 years. how did this happen????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT