ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

They should do this.

And let Brazil, India and China sit at this table:

kids-table-thanksgiving-1668627611871.jpg
China and India are sworn enemies who are fighting even now.
South Africa and Brazil are basket states.
BRICS = Limp peepee.

“When America went into Iraq, when America went into Libya, they had their own justifications that we didn’t believe, and now they’re trying to turn the world against Russia. This is unacceptable, too,” Manyathela said. “I still don’t see any justification for invading a country, but we cannot be dictated to about the Russian moves on Ukraine. I honestly feel the U.S. was trying to bully us.”

You can't argue with this reasoning except to point out that if you think it was wrong for the US to invade Iraq, you have to be consistent on the Russian invasion of Ukraine. And the US has to get the fvck out of the invasion business.
Except for the fact that Ukraine, unlike Iraq, never invaded or threatened it's neighbors?

Except for the fact that Ukraine, unlike Iraq, never invaded or threatened it's neighbors?
I have no idea what that means. Are you saying that a country that invades or threatens others can, itself, be invaded with impunity? On any pretext? By any other country?

I think Brazil, India and South Africa matter. I think it raises a concern that goes beyond Ukraine...if we can't get these countries on board for this...what can we get them on board for moving forward?
For what? The West is functioning fine in supplying Ukraine. What are we missing from these countries? Only India more in the fold would be helpful. It would be nice if they bought less oil. Brazil is irrelevant, and I guess maybe SA might be helping Russia evade some sanctions from what I’ve read.
What is it that the West needs from these countries? What can they supply to promote meaningful peace?

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
BRICS should really only be BIC. The relevance of "R" and "S" to the global economy is far less than what it was when the acronym was first coined almost 15 years ago.

We really do need to listen to what Brazil, India and China have to say. We might not like what they're saying, but keep the dialogue open. China can speak for Russia if they really need their voice heard.

BRICS should really only be BIC. The relevance of "R" and "S" to the global economy is far less than what it was when the acronym was first coined almost 15 years ago.

We really do need to listen to what Brazil, India and China have to say. We might not like what they're saying, but keep the dialogue open. China can speak for Russia if they really need their voice heard.
Agreed. Russia is a degraded third world country at this point. They peaked with Sputnik 1.

For what? The West is functioning fine in supplying Ukraine. What are we missing from these countries? Only India more in the fold would be helpful. It would be nice if they bought less oil. Brazil is irrelevant, and I guess maybe SA might be helping Russia evade some sanctions from what I’ve read.
What is it that the West needs from these countries? What can they supply to promote meaningful peace?
Because this is an issue that goes beyond Ukraine. If we have to deal with Taiwan/China a dude like Micron has signaled we’re going to have a hard time even keeping the Ukraine coalition together.

In regards to Ukraine the sanctions would be stronger if we had these countries on board…

"CHISINAU, April 17 (Reuters) - Moldova told Russian politicians not to meddle in its internal affairs on Monday after barring a Russian delegation from entering the country ahead of a regional election.

The delegation led by Rustam Minnikhanov, governor of Russia's Tatarstan region, had been due to attend a forum in semi-autonomous Gagauzia region, which holds elections on April 30 to name the head of its government.

Moldova, which applied to join the European Union last year alongside its neighbour Ukraine, has repeatedly accused Russia of trying to destabilise the country, something Moscow denies."

https://apnews.com/article/russia-navy-drills-pacific-fb0db5a62fe1c7eef4626183ac29ccf9

Russia is tying up large numbers of soldiers and aircraft to stage war games in the Pacific this week. Genius level stuff. Hopefully they live fire some much needed missiles in order to impress Japan.
This just seems like Russian bluster as the Ukrainian war drags them down.
The Navy is all they have left to play there silly games with. Nobody is looking at any Russian military games the same after these last 15 months.

The Navy is all they have left to play there silly games with. Nobody is looking at any Russian military games the same after these last 15 months.
Their navy sucked in the Cold War, and losing Ukraine affected their ability to build large ships. Ukraine was one of the primary ship building centers of the USSR. Probably part of the reason Putin wants it back.
They have Su-57s stationed in the East, and a lot of ships, but they can't get the ships into the Black Sea. Turkey is overlooking blatant sanction violations, and some arms shipments, but they aren't letting warships through the Bosporous.
Russia is scared the Japanese will move on them and retake some of the territory they lost in WW2

"Telegram channels published the advance of a column of Polish PT-91 Twardy tanks on Ukrainian roads. The PT-91 Twardy is an upgrade of the T-72 tank. Poland has 232 tanks of this type which will be transferred to #Ukraine and replaced by #Abrams"

I'd love to get an up to date accounting of how many upgraded tanks the Ukrainians have received. It isn't just the Leopards coming in drips and drabs. The Poles have sent a lot of tanks. Hopefully they have arrived in numbers and will provide the backbone of an offensive.

Entire statement (I bolded some stuff):

A major disinformation and Russian propaganda channel called "Donbass Devushka", which published a fake version of "secret Pentagon documents," is hosted by a former U.S. Navy officer who was recently discharged from military service. The "Mila Girl from Luhansk," who hosts podcasts with pro-Kremlin propagandists, turned out to be Sarah Bils, a divorced American from New Jersey. She was exposed by members of the "North Atlantic Fella Organization" (#NAFO), an online community that fights Russian propaganda. On Twitter, "Donbass Devushka" posted filtered photos of herself and wrote that her name was Mila. NAFO collated the photos and other information from one of the podcast videos and found out that her real name is Sarah Bils, but she had recently officially changed it to another, more Russian name. Bils is a former U.S. Navy officer, recently discharged from active duty. Bils herself claims she was "kicked out" of the military because of her "leftist views." Former associates have expressed concern about her mental health and have called her a habitual liar. Beals' mother claimed that her daughter often made up stories. On social media, "Donbass Devushka" claimed she was traveling between the Russian city of Rostov-on-Don and the Ukrainian city of Luhansk in 2014, but in reality, Bils was suing her ex-husband in Oak Harbor at the time. When Russia began a full-scale invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022, Bils created several Twitter accounts and added Telegram in April. Her Telegram channel publishes more "banned" Twitter content, including memes, fake images, and ultra-violence: such as cheering the killing of a U.S. volunteer who went to Ukraine, videos of dead Ukrainians, and supporting videos of a Ukrainian POW being beheaded by Russian mercenaries from the "Wagner" PMC. In January 2023 Jack Teixeira of the Massachusetts National Guard shared hundreds of classified documents on his Discord server. The Bellingcat investigation revealed the distribution of documents from Teixeira's Discord to 4Chan, Telegram and Twitter. Two versions of the key documents were distributed: one showed that Russian losses far exceeded Ukrainian ones, and the other badly edited version showed the opposite. Belligcat claims that the falsified versions were created by the Telegram channel "Donbass Devushka", but Bils denies this claim. Fox News host Tucker Carlson used the faked version circulated on "Donbass Devushka's" Telegram channel to claim that Ukraine had a 7-to-1 troop loss ratio and is "losing the war" (video). The faked versions were spread by pro-Kremlin propagandists, and "Donbass Devushka" began supporting the well-known Z-channel. In November 2022, The Bell journalists found out that this channel received money from Yevgeny Prigozhin (head pf the PMC "Wagner") and could be linked to the FSB.

One of the old regime mods, maybe Z, blocked him from this thread when he was trolling relentlessly, much like he is now, at the start of the war. That must have expired after 365 days b/c that is right about how long he was absent from this thread. Maybe @Adam Jacobi can help us here.
Good thought. The prick is really taking away from good content.

I’m glad Egypt came around.
I had been hoping they would supply Ukraine with their locally manufactured licensed version of the M1 Abrams. (M1 turret on M60 hull)

I believe we still give them about $10b a year in aid (equal to what we give Israel in return for signing the Camp David Accords), so no wonder they are seeing the light and stepping up with supplying Ukraine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT