ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

It is going to be interesting to see the revolution after Putin is gone. Democracy is foreign to Russians. They don't care for it. They like strong leaders.

Reactions: noleclone2
I wish! The tech alone is fascinating.
But are you acknowledging your data and position was flawed and you've since learned?
There is mixed numbers floating around. My point was the ‘defense’ budget could be greatly reduced from what it is now by cutting the fat and actually be held accountable with their expenditures.

I hope they realize this won't stop starlink and the Ukrainian forces about to kill them.

It's amazing how much Russia has screwed itself here.

It's forced European customers to find other ways to get energy (Which will primarily help the US as we find new markets to sell natural gas to)
It's forced other countries to re-assess the weaponry they're purchasing from Russia which will either push them towards other partners such as the US or cut them off all together.
It's isolated Russia through massive sanctions which are causing massive harm to their economy, pushing many of their greater minds to flee the country, etc...
China is a big winner here in many ways.
They’re getting discounted energy from Russia, and a competitive advantage on Europe. Russian shelves will have to be filled with Chinese consumer goods instead of European.

‘Winners’ -> losers’
China
US
Europe
Russia
Ukraine

While Russia loses economically, and really big on soft factors like prestige, we can’t lose sight of the fact the war takes place in Ukraine, and it is Ukrainian cities, villages and people laid waste more than all else.

China is a big winner here in many ways.
They’re getting discounted energy from Russia, and a competitive advantage on Europe. Russian shelves will have to be filled with Chinese consumer goods instead of European.

‘Winners’ -> losers’
China
US
Europe
Russia
Ukraine

While Russia loses economically, and really big on soft factors like prestige, we can’t lose sight of the fact the war takes place in Ukraine, and it is Ukrainian cities, villages and people laid waste more than all else.
China wanted a strong ally in the 21st century. They’re getting a dog of an economy they’ll need to support and not a particularly strong consumer base.

Nothing’s that serious.
46cb7d78-374d-4ac4-8f1f-30469e7932e9.jpg

Reactions: HawkMD
China wanted a strong ally in the 21st century. They’re getting a dog of an economy they’ll need to support and not a particularly strong consumer base.
In what respect do they have to ‘support’ Russia?
Russia will sell them energy (at a discount to global prices China’s competitors pay), and unable to purchase from Europe the Russian consumers are forced to buy from China (or other BRICS).
I’m sure they wish they had a more powerful ally, but Russia wasn’t ever going to help them take Taiwan, or invade Vietnam again, or whatever military adventure they’re going on. Their alliance with each other is more about avoiding a two front war (for either of them).

Last edited:
Reactions: VodkaSam
One thing I think we are seeing is how the Ukrainians built up special forces, and resistance forces in the last 8 years. All of a sudden lots of stuff is happening in the occupied areas.

It is going to be interesting to see the revolution after Putin is gone. Democracy is foreign to Russians. They don't care for it. They like strong leaders.
I don't know about that. I read an article in the Economist a week or two ago that detailed the 150,000-300,000 young Russians who have fled Russia and are living in places like Georgia, and the Stans. The seem to want to go back and rebuild Russia once it's safe for them.

Putin and Xi met today, and it was frosty by all accounts.
Take note that Russia is begging for armaments from North Korea, but you don't hear squat about China supplying traditional armaments, or components/chips for high end weapons. Xi is beginning to understand he hitched himself to a loser.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT