ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

Many mistakes were made:

Other errors followed, flowing largely from the impulse to maintain a positive US-Russia relationship. President George W. Bush, who famously said he had peered into Vladimir Putin's soul, reacted cautiously to Russia's 2008 invasion of Georgia. President Barack Obama, who sought a "reset" with the Kremlin, did the same after Russia seized Crimea from Ukraine.

"Both administrations fell short in realizing the threat," Popadiuk concludes.

President Donald Trump exacerbated domestic divisions that Putin has counted on to weaken America's response to his aggression. That included Trump's own impeachment over his attempt to squeeze Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky for political favors.

But Popadiuk doesn't think Trump's presidency fundamentally affected Putin's calculations. Nor does he blame President Bill Clinton's support for expanding the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to include Ukraine, among other nations in Eastern Europe.

Russia's historic desire to control Ukraine, he explains, runs deeper than any of those developments. That's why he faults President Joe Biden, who released so much accurate intelligence about Putin's intentionbefore the war, for not acting on it by preemptively providing more military aid.

"If you knew they were going to attack Ukraine, why didn't you give them everything they needed ahead of time?" Popadiuk says. "We needed to get ahead of him."
I think we Americans fall into the trap of thinking we control events….or could control them if we “just did things differently”.

leslie-nielsen-nothing-to-see-here.gif

This is a VERY good thread. If the US really wanted to help Ukraine with more modern NATO weapons, they could do it quickly with private military contractors. Zelensky could declare them as part of the Ukraine Foreign Legion for legal purposes, etc. All it takes is money.

At least do it for Patriot anti-missile defense, Abrams tanks, and artillery. Maybe dust off a few A-10s😎.

Last edited:
This! Living in Europe made me believe that America could cease to exist and the rest of the world would make very minor adjustments and be fine.
Yeah, I would think this is a quite normal feeling in Europe. Not sure it's a smart sentiment given current conditions though.

"Appeal from the Deputy Commander of the AZOV Regiment, Captain Sviatoslav Palamar, Kalina's friend, from the besieged city of Mariupol.

The defenders of Mariupol are doing the impossible and you have to understand that. And you must also do the impossible, especially those who are just as faithful to the oath."

"Reject sorrow, return the city, win. For the sake of those who have already given their lives for this victory. Mariupol is Ukraine!"

Translation of the two videos

This is a VERY good thread. If the US really wanted to help Ukraine with more modern NATO weapons, they could do it quickly with private military contractors. Zelensky could declare them as part of the Ukraine Foreign Legion for legal purposes, etc. All it takes is money.

At least do it for Patriot anti-missile defense, Abrams tanks, and artillery. Maybe dust off a few A-10s😎.

[wink wink]
"Here's a Patriot missile battery, some F-16s, and some M-1 tanks"
"Uncle Sam is paying the guys using this equipment and yesterday they were in the US military."
"But the US isn't involved and this totally shouldn't be seen as the US getting directly involved."
[wink wink]

What if Putin doesn't accept the charade as presented?

BTW, is this any different than what Erik Prince was trying to sell Trump for a permanent 'non-US' presence in Afghanistan?

JFC. I see stuff like this and get so mad. A man murdered. His wife and some brutalized. F******s even shot the family dog before torching the place. I’d love to sit every weak willed Western politician down and force them to watch that. Then I realize that’s barely half the issue. All those ME leaders that are enabling Russia. The asss monkeys at Goldman Sachs working angles to make a buck off of this war. China. The ass monkeys at Fox…

Last edited:
Again, thanks to everyone for sharing so much in this thread.

For those that are able to get a good sense of what's happening, who do you think will ultimately win this war? At this point is Ukraine doing what they need to do, with help from others, to hold onto their country?
If judging just by the info in this thread, Ukraine is winning this war and might be able to expel Russia from all territories pre 2008. Wars are a bitch however. Who knows what can transpire moving forward. How far will Russia go? I think it’s impossible to come to a conclusion, especially considering we are all armchair viewers of this war.

Last edited:
Battlefield killing is different than “nation building” killing. The Russians need to determine the time and place of leadership change.
Imagine our reaction to Presidential assassination by a foreign entity…
For the most part I agree. For Putin, I disagree. What you wish for us utopian in nature. It won’t happen. Putin controls his environment. There won’t be anyone from within to be the savior. They are either brainwashed to believe he’s the one or lack the conviction to make an attempt on Putin’s life out of fear.

Reactions: billanole
[wink wink]
"Here's a Patriot missile battery, some F-16s, and some M-1 tanks"
"Uncle Sam is paying the guys using this equipment and yesterday they were in the US military."
"But the US isn't involved and this totally shouldn't be seen as the US getting directly involved."
[wink wink]

What if Putin doesn't accept the charade as presented?

BTW, is this any different than what Erik Prince was trying to sell Trump for a permanent 'non-US' presence in Afghanistan?
What would Putin do about it?

BTW, I think the F-16s would be a little too "in your face" myself.

Sure. A four star moron.🙄
Flynn had 2 stars. Keane was a general who retired 20 years ago and now gets paid for political commentary. He also has extensive business ties that are a little on the icky side, especially in trying to transfer nuclear technology to SA.
Sorry to deviate from the purpose of this thread, but I don’t trust anyone who thinks handing the Saudis nuclear technology is a good idea. But, he’s getting paid to lobby for them, essentially.

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place

Some of the military experts insist the training curve on these make them much less effective than supplying them Soviet era arms they are used to.
But we also see where Lithuania and the US (others?) are training Ukrainians on western systems.

Biden has called Putin a war criminal and called for his trial. A few Mig 29s aren't going to piss Putin off any more. And if we screw this up and allow Putin to win, he will now be on the border of Poland. We need to make sure Ukraine wins this NOW.

Sure seems like Ukraine knows Russia is hurting and trying to reorganize for one desperate offensive and they are having none of it, which is exactly what they should do. **** letting them gather and build back up and resupply. Every day like the last one is a day closer to Russia flat out losing this war.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT