ADVERTISEMENT

This year's roster vs. last year's roster

GunnerHawk

HB All-American
Mar 16, 2014
So will Thelwell and Traore offset the loss of Perkins and Krikke? I didn't add in Bowen because he didn't contribute alot. Thelwell is probably a notch below Perk, but Traore is certainly more athletic and a better defender than Krikke. Add in Freeman getting stronger and improving his midrange game, Harding a year stronger and improving his three point shot, both Sandforts stronger, Dembele and year under the program and add in Koch and Tadjo.

I think this team will be better.

I dunno, but having no family dynamics, pressures or second thoughts as far as playing time, may well help Fran just look at his team with a different eye and play the players that are working. I hope this is the case. I’m not saying he was consciously biased but if he got feedback he may not have liked I suspect his first reaction was to push back. This year will be different regardless and I for one am looking forward to him just being the coach and not the dad too.

The additions are untested but welcomed with a new hope they can be productive if used right. In my mind the subtractions, one in particular, were overdue and creates a new energy in the program that I'm ready to watch and enjoy.

I think they should be decent. Lot more athleticism to be able to defend, if Fran makes its a priority. Perkins was a difference maker, but he did tail off at end of last season.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I dunno, but having no family dynamics, pressures or second thoughts as far as playing time, may well help Fran just look at his team with a different eye and play the players that are working. I hope this is the case. I’m not saying he was consciously biased but if he got feedback he may not have liked I suspect his first reaction was to push back. This year will be different regardless and I for one am looking forward to him just being the coach and not the dad too.
Great take and totally agree.

Beyond the possible positive change in coaching, just having one of our 3/4 players (Traore, Dembele, Koch, Tadjo) on the floor for Patrick's minutes will be an enormous improvement in defense, rebounding, and even offensive flow.

No PMac or CMac alone makes me excited for this season. That blindspot in the Fran mobile is FINALLY gone. Infuriating to see minutes go to players who didn't deserve it. Legitimately excited to see what this team can do

Saw Tadjo a couple times out East Last Year ( I am in Canada) ,Kid is crazy strong and athletic and has a big time motor in the 2 games I saw , His shooting was really good 1 game and the other game He finished a lot of plays and owned the boards, decent defender. Could be an elite PF and should be an early contributor ,

No PMac or CMac alone makes me excited for this season. That blindspot in the Fran mobile is FINALLY gone. Infuriating to see minutes go to players who didn't deserve it. Legitimately excited to see what this team can do
I wouldn't lump CMac in with Patrick, at least when he was healthy his last two years.

Beyond the possible positive change in coaching, just having one of our 3/4 players (Traore, Dembele, Koch, Tadjo) on the floor for Patrick's minutes will be an enormous improvement in defense, rebounding, and even offensive flow.
Krikke’s minutes were problematic as well. When Patrick and Krikke shared the floor, their defensive weaknesses compounded, turning them into a sieve on defense, allowing opponents to score with ease.

Iowa's brutal OOC schedule could be problematic for all the newcomers. It may be hard these kids to get quality minutes against such formidable competition.

;)

Krikke’s minutes were problematic as well. When Patrick and Krikke shared the floor, their defensive weaknesses compounded, turning them into a sieve on defense, allowing opponents to score with ease.
At the same time, Krikke's shooting one a couple of the earlier games in the season they likely wouldn't have without him. Certainly agree defense in general should improve.

True, but Krikke brought some scoring punch and his limitations on defense were not from lack of effort.

Reactions: SI_NYC
So will Thelwell and Traore offset the loss of Perkins and Krikke? I didn't add in Bowen because he didn't contribute alot. Thelwell is probably a notch below Perk, but Traore is certainly more athletic and a better defender than Krikke. Add in Freeman getting stronger and improving his midrange game, Harding a year stronger and improving his three point shot, both Sandforts stronger, Dembele and year under the program and add in Koch and Tadjo.

I think this team will be better.

I think Fran can easily recreate Krikke and Perkins in the aggregate.

My biggest concern: do we have a go-to-guy to get a bucket when we need it. We’ve had someone like that the last 5ish years. Garza, Keegan, Perk.

Sandfort is great but isn’t beating many lockdown defenders for a shot. Really the only guy that makes sense is Dix. He showed flashes of it last year - if he can create his own shot and take over on a consistent basis then we are a tourney team

My biggest concern: do we have a go-to-guy to get a bucket when we need it. We’ve had someone like that the last 5ish years. Garza, Keegan, Perk.

Sandfort is great but isn’t beating many lockdown defenders for a shot. Really the only guy that makes sense is Dix. He showed flashes of it last year - if he can create his own shot and take over on a consistent basis then we are a tourney team
It’s going to have to be Dix. He’s got some Devin Booker/DeMar DeRozan in him where he wants to get to the elbows & he can be deadly when he gets to that spot. Hopefully teams will have to eventually double him as he gets to the midrange, where he can then find Sandfort & other shooters whose guy left them to help on Dix.

Reactions: goodbyebobby

PGs will have guys all around them who can score, if they get them the ball in a favorable position. You are right that Dix showed an ability to take the ball and get a good mid-range shot over the last third of the season, even against quality defenders. I hope he can build on that. If Freeman gets the ball on the move in the lane, he knows what to do with it. Payton just needs to keep moving and the team needs to be setting picks, especially the 4, to get him room from 3. He also showed an ability to take it to the basket against some defenders. Traore might also be a good inside/outside target for PGs, as the 3rd or 4th option...

Yes, I understand you think Krikke was the best thing since sliced bread.
Hell no, Krikke was a really bad defender, but don't call him the worst defender when Patrick stood like a statue on the wing for most defensive possessions and never went to battle the boards. The combination of both was by far the worst interior defense I have seen at Iowa in almost 50 years of watching Hawkeye BB.

Reactions: fivecardstud14
I think they should be decent. Lot more athleticism to be able to defend, if Fran makes its a priority. Perkins was a difference maker, but he did tail off at end of last season.
I think he had one foot out the door after the win @ NW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT