ADVERTISEMENT

Thomas Gilman - World Champion

thedecider

HR MVP
Dec 7, 2006
Congrats to Thomas, he defeated Sarlak of Iran 5-3. He was relentless all tournament and earned a world title.

Massive credit to him as he and his coaches figured out how to overcome whatever mental struggles prevented him from reaching his goals in college.

**Edit** This was genuinely not intended to be a troll, although many have perceived it as such. I am a big TG fan and I was not aware how offensive it was to some to rehash his Iowa Wrestling career on the Iowa Wrestling board. I hate it that he went to NLWC but I am happy for his success. The kid is as tough and hard working as they come. My apologies to all, I shouldn't have mentioned it.

Last edited:
NLWC producing results. Gilman has never looked better than when he is in happy valley. Excited to see him vs Lee in the near future.

It's hard to argue this. It's so strange because those matches he would lose at nationals, you could almost see it in his eyes. Like something was missing. That was nowhere to be found in the olympics or in this world championship.

It is similar to Bull. I don't understand it. Too much pressure? Are we not as good with the mental side of things? And with Bull it has been Friday Morning the last two years. Struggles to finish, gets taken down late to lose a close one.

It's hard to argue this. It's so strange because those matches he would lose at nationals, you could almost see it in his eyes. Like something was missing. That was nowhere to be found in the olympics or in this world championship.

It is similar to Bull. I don't understand it. Too much pressure? Are we not as good with the mental side of things? And with Bull it has been Friday Morning the last two years. Struggles to finish, gets taken down late to lose a close one.
It has to be something on the mental side for sure. I agree with the Marinelli comparison. Both are so good and consistently dominant only to fall a hairs breath shy at the big show. No idea what the missing piece may be, perhaps life perspective?

It has to be something on the mental side for sure. I agree with the Marinelli comparison. Both are so good and consistently dominant only to fall a hairs breath shy at the big show. No idea what the missing piece may be, perhaps life perspective?
giphy.gif

100% not a troll. I don't really know where you are coming from with that.
A troll that thinks all posters are ignorant suckers. You are not fooling anyone.

EDITING - reading several of your past posts, I don't think you are a troll but a Hawk fan. You just need to be a smarter poster so it doesn't appear you are baiting.

What a crap post.

Congrats to Thomas, he defeated Sarlak of Iran 5-3. He was relentless all tournament and earned a world title.

Massive credit to him as he and his coaches figured out how to overcome whatever mental struggles prevented him from reaching his goals in college.
This is just dum. Especially if you’re not trolling.

Congrats GMan!! One of my favorite Hawks who always had time to say Hi and talk to some random fan and his son. Never forget the time he had about a 15 minute conversation with my son who was 6 at the time when he was getting recruited.

An Iowa "fan" knows how to spell Gilman in a thread title.

Congrats Thomas Gilman. Another Hawkeye becomes a World Champion. More on the way.
Honest mistake. I am a huge fan and a five second look at my post history would confirm that.

Reactions: el dub
A troll that thinks all posters are ignorant suckers. You are not fooling anyone.

EDITING - reading several of your past posts, I don't think you are a troll but a Hawk fan. You just need to be a smarter poster so it doesn't appear you are baiting.

This is honestly the most puzzled I have been in a long time. I have long appreciated yours @texas twister and @MVPFANs input but I am not so sure that it's me that needs to be smarter in this scenario. I think people need to lighten the heck up. I did spell his name wrong, honest mistake. I will definitely agree with the argument that I didn't need to bring up the past. That's fair. I mainly did it as I was pondering the similarities between what TG went through and what Bull has been/ is going through the last two years. I appreciate them both a tremendous amount and I am extremely happy for Thomas and I really hope Alex goes all the way this year.

Congrats to TG he deserves what he earned, he still ran off the mat after the match, showing where he came from. Another great Hawkeye to be a world champ and zero world champs from psu.
I took the bait!

not great bait, dt has an oly gold :/

That was nowhere to be found in the olympics or in this world championship.
Yeah, he brain farted in the Olympics. Had a Merkel and didn't flatten the guy down - just hung on until scored on last second for the loss.

Not fair comparing The Bull. Lewis (I think that is who) was just awesome and even dominated Joseph in the finals. The Bull was injured last year. That is not mental.

You don't come on a Hawkeye forum and praise PSU.

That was nowhere to be found in the olympics or in this world championship.
Yeah, he brain farted in the Olympics. Had a Merkel and didn't flatten the guy down - just hung on until scored on last second for the loss.

Not fair comparing The Bull. Lewis (I think that is who) was just awesome and even dominated Joseph in the finals. The Bull was injured last year. That is not mental.

You don't come on a Hawkeye forum and praise PSU.
I guess I perceived that Olympic match differently. I think as I didn't give Lewis enough credit in my Bull comments I think more credit could be given to the Russian in that scenario. Dude is clearly strong as an ox and very talented. I still think Bull should have won both of those matches and the similarities between how the matches unfolded are just interesting, that's all.

I hardly feel like I "praised PSU" but to each their own. At the end of the day this is all a waste. Congratulations to Thomas, he deserves it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wasdt21 and el dub
Congrats TG. Don’t care where he works out at now, he’s a Hawkeye.

A ****ing great one too. Awesome for him.

Reactions: LBlindHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT