ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts From a Stanford Fan

Mar 1, 2007
First of all, congratulations on a great season and being selected for the Rose Bowl. I am looking forward to what should be a great game and a traditional Pac-12 (okay, Pac-10/-8)-Big Ten matchup.

I've seen several threads asking if Stanford's offense is just McCaffrey and what Northwestern did to beat Stanford and thought I would give my perspective on Stanford's team. It is a team similar in strength, in my opinion, to the 2012 and 2013 Stanford teams that played in the Rose Bowl against Wisconsin and Michigan State, but with a much different make up. 2015 Stanford is much better offensively and much weaker defensively, than the previous teams.

I'll start with Stanford's offense. Stanford has an excellent offense, rated in the top 5 by most computer metrics. It is different from many explosive offenses, in that Stanford doesn't play a hurry-up, spread offense, like those at Oregon or in the Big 12. Rather, Stanford has a pro-style offense with diverse personnel groupings and lots of checks and reads at the line of scrimmage.

Christian McCaffrey is a wonderful skill player, arguably the most talented in the country (Pro Football Focus's scouts agree: https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...yfield-bosa-lead-pffs-top-heisman-candidates/ He is an explosive running back with great vision and acceleration (his grandfather was the world record holder in the 100 yard dash, FYI -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Sime). McCaffrey is also an excellent receiver for a running back. He will return punts and kickoffs -- as a kickoff returner, McCaffrey is among the best in the country, that's why Stanford uses him on special teams, risking injury, despite his value on offense.

Stanford's quarterback is Kevin Hogan, a 3 1/2 year starter, who has matured into a very good quarterback (he is in the top 5 nationally in yards-per-attempt and QB rating). Hogan has had struggles with accuracy and inconsistency throughout his career, but he has been much improved this season (with the exception of a couple games, including Northwestern). Hogan is also a good runner/scrambler. Stanford will probably call designed QB runs and options for Hogan, while giving him the freedom to scramble.

Stanford also has an excellent offensive line (rated #1 by these guys: https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...r-picks-for-college-footballs-biggest-awards/). It had 4 new starters and took a couple games (Northwestern, UCF) to gel, but now the line is very strong in both run and pass blocking. The strength of the line is the left side, with Kyle Murphy at tackle and Joshua Garnett, thought by many to be the best guard in the country. Stanford will run McCaffrey over the left side a lot. Stanford has shown some vulnerability giving sacks up over the right tackle, but it's a very good line.

Finally, Stanford has very good tight ends, led by Austin Hooper and Dalton Schultz. Hooper is a favorite third-down target for Hogan, in particular. If Iowa overcommits its safeties to the run, Stanford will try to take advantage with these tight ends. Stanford's receivers are the weakest link in the offense, although they are not bad by any measure. Michael Rector is a speedy downfield receiver, who has had issues with drops, but is finally maturing as a route runner and becoming more consistent in the last half of this year. Devon Cajuste is a big, relatively fast receiver who has been hurt most of the year but is finally getting healthy. Cajuste was Stanford's leading receiver last year. Trenton Irwin is a talented, but inexperienced freshman possession receiver.

At this point, you may think that the game is looking hopeless, or that I am just a Stanford homer. But Stanford's offense really is excellent -- you can make a decent argument that it is the best in the country. However, Stanford's defense is pretty mediocre, and that's where Iowa should place its hope, IMO.

For the past 5 years before this one, Stanford has had an excellent defense (top 15 each year according to FEI rankings, including rankings of 1st and 3rd). This year, by contrast, Stanford is rated 60th: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef As a Stanford fan, it's been an adjustment, but probably should have been expected given that Stanford was starting 9 new players on defense.

Stanford's plays a 3-4 defense. It will also play a lot of nickel, including with only 2 down linemen, against spread offenses, but you probably won't see much of that look.

Stanford's defensive line has 3 good starters but basically no depth behind that. Solomon Thomas is a redshirt freshman who filled in after the starter tore his ACL and plays a slightly-undersized nose tackle. Thomas has gotten much better as the season has gone on and is now one of the better players on Stanford's defense. Brennan Scarlett is a graduate transfer from Cal and plays at one end, while Aziz Shittu is an all-Pac 12 senior playing at the other end. All three players are good, but Stanford has basically no depth behind them and has to over play and tire out these linemen as a result.

At linebacker, the player who gets the most press is Blake Martinez. Martinez is not especially fast, but he is smart, tough, and a very good tackler. He led the pac-12 in tackles. The rest of Stanford's linebackers are either inexperienced, playing with injuries, or not especially athletic. As a result, Stanford has been vulnerable to fast and shifty backs who get to the second level and receivers if they get paired on linebackers. Between the linebackers and lack of d-line depth, Stanford also hasn't been able to develop as dominant a pass rush as it has had in recent years.

Stanford's secondary will be a strength of the team, but it isn't there yet. Stanford's best and most experienced corner (by far) is Ronnie Harris. Harris has been injured and missed the Oregon and Notre Dame games, but came back for half of the Pac-12 championship. The other corner is Alijah Holder, who is young but talented. He has also missed recent games with injury, but should be back for the Rose Bowl. Stanford has a number of other young but talented corners who will play in nickel and dime packages (or if there is an injury). At safety, Stanford plays two converted offensive players (from several years ago, but still), Kodi Whitfield and Dallas Lloyd. Both are prone to making mental mistakes on occasion, or being beat with athleticism or speed. As a result, Stanford has played a lot of bend-but-don't break defense, trying not to give up a big play and waiting for an offense to make a mistake, particularly in the red zone where passing windows are smaller and safeties can play closer up.

On special teams, Stanford has a great kicker and a good punter. McCaffrey is excellent at kickoff returns and good at punt returns. Stanford's kickoff/punt coverage is fine, but not as good as past years.

Lastly, I'll give my thoughts on the Northwestern game. It was probably Stanford's worst-played game of the season for a number of reasons. You hear a lot about the time-zone differences, but it's hard to determine how they affected Stanford's play. More importantly, IMO, Stanford's offense and offensive identity were still in flux. The offensive line had 4 new starters and wasn't playing as well as it is now. Stanford didn't realize how good McCaffrey was and he only got 12 carries (for 66 yards). Hogan did not play well, whether because of the o-line play, the offense still being in flux, or Northwestern's defense. Northwestern played well, but I think it's a mistake to credit Northwestern for all of Stanford's struggles. Stanford's offense also played poorly for the first half of its next game against terrible UCF. I think the offense was just figuring itself out.

Northwestern does have a great defense and did some things well, that other teams have tried to do. The first priority has to be stopping McCaffrey and the running game. This usually requires committing 8 or 9 players to the box, but otherwise McCaffrey will get 7-8 yards per carry and Stanford will never get off the field. Then, teams take their chances with Hogan throwing downfield against man-on-man coverage. That worked well for Northwestern because they have great corners and Hogan/the o-line didn't play well. It hasn't really worked since because Hogan's been great and Stanford has made some adjustments. Washington State did have some success in a rainstorm, and who knows, with El Nino there may another rainstorm at the Rose Bowl.

I hope this was helpful. I'm looking forward to the game and learning more about the Hawkeyes.

Last edited:
If I were an Iowa fan, I would take comfort in the Northwestern game too. And I won't predict the outcome of the Rose Bowl because I don't know enough about Iowa. All I can tell you is that from a Stanford perspective, our offense is much, much better and simply different in design and execution than we saw week 1. After that game, most of our fan base thought we would go 5-7. Something changed.

I've been to every Iowa game this year and have watched 5 of Stanford's games. Frankly, I think this is a very bad match up for Stanford. Hate to say this but I think we put up 45 against this team in a 21 point victory.

Reactions: Bro D
Thanks for the Stanford perspective. I have seen a few Stanford games this year and most fear they will run right at the Hawks just as MSU did in the 4h quarter.

The Rose Bowl will be a game very similar to the Big Ten Title game in that it will be two very evenly matched teams. Hopefully the Hawks can make one more play to win the game in the end.

Safe travels for all.

Wow -- very informative post, complete with links! I'll have to go through a little later and digest the whole thing, but thanks for taking the time to inform us about the Cardinal from a Stanford fan's perspective. Good luck for an exciting, injury-free game.

Agreed, ^^. Someone should forward this to the Iowa coaches! :D

But seriously, it stands to reason that Stanford would be strong in many areas, they are an accomplished team that is rated very highly. It should be a pretty good game to watch.

While Iowa did not lose an early season game as Stanford did, it certainly wasn't out of the realm of possibility a few times. Iowa improved quite a bit over the season and it sounds like Stanford did too.

I've watched most of Stanford's games this season. We will have our hands full. This will be the best offense our D has faced. We'll need to score around 30+ points for the W.

I can see I'm going to have to go buy a dictionary, encyclopedia set, and thesaurus if I want to talk football with the Stanford people over the next month.

Sorry the post was long!

One thing to look for in the Northwestern game (and the other games where Stanford has struggled) are what worked to stop us. Northwestern had very good play from its corners. Washington State did a good job at putting lots of defenders in the box to stop the run and forced Hogan to beat them over the top in bad weather. They also refused to kick to McCaffrey. Oregon didn't really stop Stanford's offense, but they had a lot of big, explosive plays on offense and outscored Stanford when Stanford's offense self-destructed (two fumbled QB-center exchanges in the fourth quarter).

You should know by now that the transitive property doesn't work in college football. Teams have bad games from time to time. Stanford isn't going to be a cake walk just because they had a bad game against Northwestern.
Get ready for a post from Broth87. It will be sure to offend.

Thanks for the post. I have seen a lot of Stanford's games because sister is an alum. They are a very good team and I hope Iowa can match up well with them.

I also hope McCaffery wins the Heisman. Too bad the time zone difference can be an issue for the voters watching your games.

Thanks for the Stanford perspective. I have seen a few Stanford games this year and most fear they will run right at the Hawks just as MSU did in the 4h quarter.

The Rose Bowl will be a game very similar to the Big Ten Title game in that it will be two very evenly matched teams. Hopefully the Hawks can make one more play to win the game in the end.

Safe travels for all.

Disagree, Stanford Defense isn't even close to MSU. Right there is an extra 10 minutes of possession time for the Hawks.

Hard for me to tell which Stanford team I think we will see. Many conflicting games to pull info from. Washington State was another head scratcher that Stanford should have lost. I DO understand that Stanford has a heck of an offense but it seems like the conference defenses give up a bunch of points. I would anticipate it won't be as high scoring as some think. Maybe in the 20s rather than the 30s. I think a big thing for us is the kicking game. Kick the ball through the end zone and punts that are away from the middle of the field to eliminate special team TDs. On offense re-locate our running game and set up CJ for great play action passing opportunities. Would like to see us test them down the field earlier in this game as I think CJ will have more time to throw....MSU d line is top notch ans caused havoc at times. If we can get back to our offense of controlling the line on offense and eat some clock I like our chances.

Thanks for the post. I really think that this could be the best bowl game as the teams semi evenly matched. I really like your coach, seems like a class act. Can't wait for the game!!!

good post. I honestly think the only Stanford game I caught this year was against UCLA and I didn't catch the whole thing. I will say that McCaffery (sp?) RB is a stud and could certainly take home the heisman. He has as much a claim as anyone in this years group. He scares the heck out of me along with that Oline. Fortunately for Iowa, Run D is their strength, but I don't think we have seen an offense as good as Stanford or a player as dynamic as McCaffery. Also, I remember that TD catch against UCLA where the WR caught the ball behind the defender's back and somehow was able to keep control. Best catch of the year in my opinion.

I've been to every Iowa game this year and have watched 5 of Stanford's games. Frankly, I think this is a very bad match up for Stanford. Hate to say this but I think we put up 45 against this team in a 21 point victory.

This was basically the concensus of Robert Smith, Mark May and the other ESPN talking heads on Sunday. The didn't predict a blow out but agreed this wasn't a good matchup for Stanford.

I gave up on transitive property when it come to college football, long, long ago. 1986 season Iowa played UTEP and won 69-7. That same season UTEP lost to San Diego St 15-10. Leading up to the Holiday Bowl that comparative score led me to be convinced Iowa would slaughter San Diego St. I think we remember how that game ended.

Reactions: meatloaf55
Stanford will also be without there stud D coordinator Anderson as he will taking over in Provo Utah next week.. Probably one of best defensive minds in the game.. Turned down Michigan to stay in Palo Alto

Thanks for the informative post.

There will not be a lot of possessions in this game as both teams like to run the football and control the clock (I see Stanford leads the country in T.O.P). Our kicker has one of the strongest legs in the country and my guess is his job will to be kick it out of the end zone on all kickoffs.

We generally play quarters coverage and drop in coverage, but wouldn't be surprised to see King play right on the line all game and Lomax and Taylor taking a few steps in from their normal depth.

Should be a great game. This game may be over in 2 1/2 hours.

Reactions: eastbaykid
Iowa has a top 20 defense... Statistically better than most Stanford has seen in the Pac 12... We'll be just fine

Hard for me to tell which Stanford team I think we will see. Many conflicting games to pull info from. Washington State was another head scratcher that Stanford should have lost. I DO understand that Stanford has a heck of an offense but it seems like the conference defenses give up a bunch of points. I would anticipate it won't be as high scoring as some think. Maybe in the 20s rather than the 30s. I think a big thing for us is the kicking game. Kick the ball through the end zone and punts that are away from the middle of the field to eliminate special team TDs. On offense re-locate our running game and set up CJ for great play action passing opportunities. Would like to see us test them down the field earlier in this game as I think CJ will have more time to throw....MSU d line is top notch ans caused havoc at times. If we can get back to our offense of controlling the line on offense and eat some clock I like our chances.

Stanford has scored at least 30 points in every game since its opener v. Northwestern. I suspect Stanford will score in the 30s, but in the 20s would not surprise me especially if both teams have long possessions and run down the clock. Stanford's past two Rose Bowl games were both close, low-scoring games but this year's Stanford team is different, with a better offense and worse defense.

MSU definitely has a better defense than Stanford. You should have more time to throw unless Stanford blitzes, in which case you should have some openings in the passing game especially underneath. My guess is that Stanford will keep its safeties back and try to prevent the big play. Stanford played tighter coverage v. USC, I think because they didn't want to let USC get its athletes with the ball in space. But my guess is you see Stanford allow short passes. If Iowa can consistently run the ball and string first downs together, you should be able to score some points. A big key may be your red zone offense and whether you can convert those drives into touchdowns v. field goals.

Stanford will also be without there stud D coordinator Anderson as he will taking over in Provo Utah next week.. Probably one of best defensive minds in the game.. Turned down Michigan to stay in Palo Alto

It's possible. The DC (Lance Anderson) is one of the favorites for the BYU job along with Navy's coach. Stanford has done a good job replacing defensive coordinators in recent years and has a couple of very experienced and talented position coaches on D, but Anderson would be a big loss.

Thanks for the informative post.

There will not be a lot of possessions in this game as both teams like to run the football and control the clock (I see Stanford leads the country in T.O.P). Our kicker has one of the strongest legs in the country and my guess is his job will to be kick it out of the end zone on all kickoffs.

We generally play quarters coverage and drop in coverage, but wouldn't be surprised to see King play right on the line all game and Lomax and Taylor taking a few steps in from their normal depth.

Should be a great game. This game may be over in 2 1/2 hours.

I agree with you on TOP and the short length of the game. It's a reason why the game may be lower-scoring than some might expect. I think both offenses will have some success, but there may just not be that many possessions to score points.

Kicking out of the end zone should help. McCaffrey is 6th in the nation in kickoff returns.

Quarters coverage is interesting. I wonder if Stanford will try to use heavy sets with extra OL, fullbacks, and TEs. It may also send TEs down the seams to split zones. Alternatively, Stanford could try to spread out its offense more and keep the safeties on the outside.

You should know by now that the transitive property doesn't work in college football. Teams have bad games from time to time. Stanford isn't going to be a cake walk just because they had a bad game against Northwestern.

I don't think he was saying they'd be a cake walk. If he's anything like me he's saying hes annoyed by how people view Stanford. Think about this

1) there are people that think Stanford is the best team in the country.

2) Stanford lost to NW

3) Iowa crushed NW at NW

4) the same people in #1 think Iowa hasn't played anyone

It's not Stanfords fault, but it is weird

Being an Iowa fan who lives 15 minutes from Palo Alto, I'll say a few things:

1. Stanford has excellent coaching.
2. Stanford fans are nowhere near as rabid as Iowa fans.
3. The Stanford band is frickin' awesome. I can't wait to see what they do for their halftime show.
4. This is going to be a really good matchup. I'd say similar to the MSU game, it's too close to bet on (or maybe put another way, I'd take Iowa with 6.5 points because this game could go either way).

If I were an Iowa fan, I would take comfort in the Northwestern game too. And I won't predict the outcome of the Rose Bowl because I don't know enough about Iowa. All I can tell you is that from a Stanford perspective, our offense is much, much better and simply different in design and execution than we saw week 1. After that game, most of our fan base thought we would go 5-7. Something changed.
Perhaps, but this team is much better than NW.

e-mc2-resized-600.jpg

First of all, congratulations on a great season and being selected for the Rose Bowl. I am looking forward to what should be a great game and a traditional Pac-12 (okay, Pac-10/-8)-Big Ten matchup.

Right back at ya. Congrats for being selected to play the mighty Hawks.

If you have been paying attention to the national pundits this season, you already know that they picked against Iowa in most games. We are used to playing as a perceived underdog.

Stanford is a very solid team, I expect a hard fought Hawkeye victory. I'm hoping for an injury free game, but with the way both teams hit... it isn't likely.

BTW- I'm pulling for MCCaffery to win the Heisman, the jinx could work in our favor. ;)

thanks for the incredible post. should be another great game for both teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT