ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits worth knowing….

These are some general Observations about past opponents, future opponents and my expectations and frustrations.

1st off this is very long, don’t read further if your going to wave it off with a TL, Dr…I didn’t post it for your opinions 😊

I’m not going to play tiddlywinks with those who are just mad. I’m posting for those who have hope..

The negatives…..

The run blocking inside truly was awful. It was a little better outside, but only marginally! We are seriously going to have to embrace hat on hat, and wham blocking on the inside in my personal opinion. And I am by no means an offensive line guru, but it’s what I’ve been told!

Cade has to look down field. I believe his next game, assuming he can play, will be much better, but history tells me we had people open down there! (Being in the stadium and seeing someone is always open)

We took some really poor, defensive angles, with some really seasoned players!

Number 10 has to get on the same page as the scheme or there will continue to be gaps in our secondary defense!

Our interior blocking on punt team was surprisingly Poor!

We had some significant drops from veteran pas catchers that would have been TDS.

Now things of note before the positives…

For those who think Iowa State played a much better game, and was more impressive than us. They had 250 yards, had 11 first downs and went 2-11 on third down plays. UNI has been the fourth, fifth and maybe six best team in their conference for 5 to 10 years, they are no juggernaut.

UNI lost last year to Air Force 48 to 17 and the same Utah team, we just played beat 10 win Air Force 34 to 27.

As a result of being told, this was our worst opening performance ever or one of the worst. I went back and did plenty of checking…..

We rarely play very good in September to be perfectly honest with you, especially versus overmatched foes.

I’m not going to do a complete re-breakdown of what I’ve done in other posts but against Colorado state a few years ago (we went 10-4) in our fourth game we had 278 yards and we’re losing at halftime 14 to 7 vs a team that went on to go three and nine!

In the third game that season versus Kent state who went 7–7. It was 16–7 at half and 23-7 at the start of the fourth quarter!

In 2019 we went 10-3 and beat Miami of Ohio (8-6) 38 to 14 and we did have 400 yards. But it was 10 seven at the half and 24-14 at the 12 minute mark of the fourth quarter!

In 2018 we went nine and four and beat northern Illinois 33–7. Stanley was like 11–23 for 108 yards. It was 3-0 at the half and 17-0 at the end of the third-quarter.

The positive….

From the five minute mark on that game honestly was really never in doubt. We had a double digit lead the whole entire game & a late garbage TD at the 130 Mark made it 24 to 14… Yes it’s gross, yes it frustrated the hell out of me!

But, maybe sadly, we have been here many, many times before! Unlike many of our fans, apparently remember!

As frustrated as I was about our interior run blocking, I was literally shocked how good our pass pro generally was!

Jackson started his first game with us ever and has only been here a month. He is an NFL Prospect, and will surely get better! Otherwise, he never should’ve came!

We got three of our portal transfers, 4 counting Rusty Feth significantly involved in the game.

We used three and four TE sets to our advantage multiple times.

Cooper DeJean didn’t play his best game…that deflection he dropped was a sure TD, he didn’t take any chances on punt returns, and the one time he did he honestly missed a seam and instead broke it outside, he won’t do that anymore!

Sebastian Castro had a very up-and-down game and Schulte was basically unnoticeable good, bad or indifferent.

Our D-line did disrupt things, and they had some really good moments, but they also had several coachable gap Integrity issues!

Jay Higgins was a man!! 16 tackles and he was everywhere!

Deshaun Lee missed a couple tkls where he had the guy in the grasp, but generally speaking, if he has to play significant snaps, we are in good hands. Once again, Phil Parker & the defensive staff, have unearthed a gem of a mid tier 3* D-back, who is only a red shirt freshman!

Koen Entriger had to play and seemed fine.

This isn’t necessarily a positive per se, but when we started subbing liberally in 4th quarter on defense we really gave up a lot of space on the field! That led to a garbage, bullshit TD, that took no time at all, and that was wildly frustrating to me… With that said it was utterly meaningless to the game!

When we put Deacon Hill in, again, not necessarily a positive, in the mid fourth quarter we did nothing to move the ball… Maybe he is just that bad and that is a concern, but we completely shut it down!

Honestly, pretty much everything is easily fixable with the exception, admittedly, of the interior line blocking. I will admit I don’t have a ton of confidence there, but surely they can be a little bit better, because they were piss poor!!

In conclusion, this was a pretty typical game for us, and it really wasn’t ever close after the first two TD’s, and we played like it!

The gross stuff truly was gross and I think it soured all of us even those that try to be positive if not pragmatic!

But in hindsight, I think it was probably a better opening game than we “felt”..

Just my thoughts..,
blah blah blah

These are some general Observations about past opponents, future opponents and my expectations and frustrations.

1st off this is very long, don’t read further if your going to wave it off with a TL, Dr…I didn’t post it for your opinions 😊

I’m not going to play tiddlywinks with those who are just mad. I’m posting for those who have hope..

The negatives…..

The run blocking inside truly was awful. It was a little better outside, but only marginally! We are seriously going to have to embrace hat on hat, and wham blocking on the inside in my personal opinion. And I am by no means an offensive line guru, but it’s what I’ve been told!

Cade has to look down field. I believe his next game, assuming he can play, will be much better, but history tells me we had people open down there! (Being in the stadium and seeing someone is always open)

We took some really poor, defensive angles, with some really seasoned players!

Number 10 has to get on the same page as the scheme or there will continue to be gaps in our secondary defense!

Our interior blocking on punt team was surprisingly Poor!

We had some significant drops from veteran pas catchers that would have been TDS.

Now things of note before the positives…

For those who think Iowa State played a much better game, and was more impressive than us. They had 250 yards, had 11 first downs and went 2-11 on third down plays. UNI has been the fourth, fifth and maybe six best team in their conference for 5 to 10 years, they are no juggernaut.

UNI lost last year to Air Force 48 to 17 and the same Utah team, we just played beat 10 win Air Force 34 to 27.

As a result of being told, this was our worst opening performance ever or one of the worst. I went back and did plenty of checking…..

We rarely play very good in September to be perfectly honest with you, especially versus overmatched foes.

I’m not going to do a complete re-breakdown of what I’ve done in other posts but against Colorado state a few years ago (we went 10-4) in our fourth game we had 278 yards and we’re losing at halftime 14 to 7 vs a team that went on to go three and nine!

In the third game that season versus Kent state who went 7–7. It was 16–7 at half and 23-7 at the start of the fourth quarter!

In 2019 we went 10-3 and beat Miami of Ohio (8-6) 38 to 14 and we did have 400 yards. But it was 10 seven at the half and 24-14 at the 12 minute mark of the fourth quarter!

In 2018 we went nine and four and beat northern Illinois 33–7. Stanley was like 11–23 for 108 yards. It was 3-0 at the half and 17-0 at the end of the third-quarter.

The positive….

From the five minute mark on that game honestly was really never in doubt. We had a double digit lead the whole entire game & a late garbage TD at the 130 Mark made it 24 to 14… Yes it’s gross, yes it frustrated the hell out of me!

But, maybe sadly, we have been here many, many times before! Unlike many of our fans, apparently remember!

As frustrated as I was about our interior run blocking, I was literally shocked how good our pass pro generally was!

Jackson started his first game with us ever and has only been here a month. He is an NFL Prospect, and will surely get better! Otherwise, he never should’ve came!

We got three of our portal transfers, 4 counting Rusty Feth significantly involved in the game.

We used three and four TE sets to our advantage multiple times.

Cooper DeJean didn’t play his best game…that deflection he dropped was a sure TD, he didn’t take any chances on punt returns, and the one time he did he honestly missed a seam and instead broke it outside, he won’t do that anymore!

Sebastian Castro had a very up-and-down game and Schulte was basically unnoticeable good, bad or indifferent.

Our D-line did disrupt things, and they had some really good moments, but they also had several coachable gap Integrity issues!

Jay Higgins was a man!! 16 tackles and he was everywhere!

Deshaun Lee missed a couple tkls where he had the guy in the grasp, but generally speaking, if he has to play significant snaps, we are in good hands. Once again, Phil Parker & the defensive staff, have unearthed a gem of a mid tier 3* D-back, who is only a red shirt freshman!

Koen Entriger had to play and seemed fine.

This isn’t necessarily a positive per se, but when we started subbing liberally in 4th quarter on defense we really gave up a lot of space on the field! That led to a garbage, bullshit TD, that took no time at all, and that was wildly frustrating to me… With that said it was utterly meaningless to the game!

When we put Deacon Hill in, again, not necessarily a positive, in the mid fourth quarter we did nothing to move the ball… Maybe he is just that bad and that is a concern, but we completely shut it down!

Honestly, pretty much everything is easily fixable with the exception, admittedly, of the interior line blocking. I will admit I don’t have a ton of confidence there, but surely they can be a little bit better, because they were piss poor!!

In conclusion, this was a pretty typical game for us, and it really wasn’t ever close after the first two TD’s, and we played like it!

The gross stuff truly was gross and I think it soured all of us even those that try to be positive if not pragmatic!

But in hindsight, I think it was probably a better opening game than we “felt”..

Just my thoughts..,
I watched the game yesterday through sober eyes. Agree with pretty much all you said. I saw a bunch of positives in the first half and with a pick six from Cooper we could have easily been up 28-3 at half. Easily!

Had they scored one more TD to get to 31 would that be considered slow?

Williams dropped a TD. Lachey dropped a likely Td. Ragaini dropped a TD. How about we fix those.

The run game still would have sucked even if they had gotten to 31. From my recollection...if KF has a good run game, his teams offenses are usually okay.

When he doesn't have a run game, then you can only go back to Drew Tate 2004 where KOK got creative and they had a QB that could improvise and make plays.

In his first year with a class full of transfers Neon Deon has the team firing on all cylinders in their first game on the road vs the NC runner up. Why is offense so offensive under KF?
Against the worst DEF in D1 .. and 400 of the 500 yards after missed tackles and a 2 yard throw.. good try, watch the games not just the stat lines!

Reactions: F5n5 and PIEPI
Against the worst DEF in D1 .. and 400 of the 500 yards after missed tackles and a 2 yard throw.. good try, watch the games not just the stat lines!
So those plays and points didn’t actually count? Damn. I could have sworn they did.

It’s called getting talented guys in space and making the other team make a play. Interesting concept.

I wonder - for those in the know, does Iowa scrimmage as much as other teams in fall practice? I believe they drill the heck out the guys working on individual skills and techniques, but perhaps they don't scrimmage much? Maybe that's why they are a slow starting team early?

Not intended to be an excuse.
They scrimmage 1 vs 2 and such as much as most other schools.

Just watched FSU beat the shiat out of LSU and ram it down their throat to score a td with less than 2 minutes to go in the game.

KF and BF need to stop being so God damn nice to opponents through out the game prior to half snd at the end of the game.
Think it’s all Kirk. Brian would definitely ram it down the opposition’s throat.

Reactions: cmhawks99
To me, the whole season is about McNamera and his health. It feels like this going to be an issue every game, now. They should have held him out, or yanked him after it was 14-0.

Even if we lose this game, it is mostly meaningless, but that extra full week of healing for McNamera, would have been more beneficial. His health issues now might make a difference in a much more important game down the schedule. I can’t help but feel like we win this game at the expense of several more important games during the rest of the season
If McNamara hadn't played we would have gotten beat.

What nice try? Facts are facts you don't want to acknowledge. FIRST game on the road .big12 champ. First time playing together all new staff. Good God ,open your eyes man and stop apologizing for the worst OC in college ball.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
What nice try? Facts are facts you don't want to acknowledge. FIRST game on the road .big12 champ. First time playing together all new staff. Good God ,open your eyes man and stop apologizing for the worst OC in college ball.

He’s probably just celebrating a team that has won the 16th most games in the 10 years.

The negative posters on here really wear a guy down.

I’m sure he’s just trying to defend a team that he has enjoyed watching while others tear that team down. It’s not a difficult concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: F5n5
He’s probably just celebrating a team that has won the 16th most games in the last 10years. The negative posters on here really were a guy down.

I’m sure he’s just trying to defend a team that he has enjoyed watching while others tear that team down. It’s not a difficult concept.
I'm not tearing the team down. I POINTED out facts. What is so hard to understand. KF knows how to field dee and sp teams. There is a black hole on the offense. If they could fix it. It would mean 10 or 11 win seasons. But you are satisfied with 7 or 8. Nepotism sucks

Reactions: MitchLL
I'm not tearing the team down. I POINTED out facts. What is so hard to understand. KF knows how to field dee and sp teams. There is a black hole on the offense. If they could fix it. It would mean 10 or 11 win seasons. But you are satisfied with 7 or 8. Nepotism sucks

I love how shitty you guys get and how mad you get when we debate you and then turn around and tell us “how we are” and “what” we are ok with…

It never ceases to make me smile…

Not to mention the fact, it’s a sign of very weak inside and cognitive ability.

I am as it turns out “OK” with the 16th best winning percentage over the last 10 years and frustrated that we can’t get over the hump….

But there is a major difference between me and Guy’s like you, and it would be pointless to go over it again if you haven’t already figured it out…

We’re just not gonna be mad as hell all the time and I don’t remember for sure, but I think you’ve been around a long time. I doubt you liked KOK or Greg Davis either and you’re not gonna like the next O-coordinator as well….

So the Nepotism deal is a non-sequitur.

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m tired as hell of him being here but it’s just because I get super effing tired of guys like you talking about it when I know damn good and well you won’t like the next guy either.

I am quietly looking forward to the day Kirk Ferentz leaves Iowa and they start scoring 50 points a game and go six and six😂

Dude you’re free to do whatever you want. As for the offense if they know exactly what we are going to every play then hell, scoring 24pts was awesome!!
You know the dback fell down on that first td, right?

We know PP's guys will improve. We don't know if BF's guys will.

I love how shitty you guys get and how mad you get when we debate you and then turn around and tell us “how we are” and “what” we are ok with…

I am as it turns out “OK” with the 16th best winning percentage over the last 10 years and frustrated that we can’t get over the hump….

But there is a major difference between me and Guy’s like you, and it would be pointless to go over it again if you haven’t already figured it out…

We’re just not gonna be mad as hell all the time and I don’t remember for sure, but I think you’ve been around a long time. I doubt you liked KOK or Greg Davis either and you’re not gonna like the next O-coordinator as well….

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m tired as hell of him being here but it’s just because I get super effing tired of guys like you talking about it when I know damn good and well you won’t like the next guy either.

I am quietly looking forward to the day Kirk Feren

I am quietly looking forward to the day Kirk Ferentz leaves Iowa and they start scoring 50 points a game and go six and six😂
Are you kidding. My first post I stated facts. You ignore it and then you start the attacks about 'effing guys like me" You don't know shit,but keep pretending you do.

I thought we had a QB that would see 8 in the box and be allowed to check out of the zone read with something attacking space.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Everytime I watch our offense and think "man I miss KOK" I throw up. Iowas problem has and always will be under KF is execution, but it's really that doesn't happen until year 3 on campus most of the time. We never adapt to the personnel.
Whatever that means.

Yes, and I also conclude, at least, for me, that garbage TD pissed me off!

I was pissed about the late hit penalty.
Technically right but I couldn’t hit the Iowa player for hitting the USU player after he spun back into the field of play and was still going forward.

Its like comparing apples and oranges. Prime did a great job, I take my hat off to him. But this was on the road against the national championship runner-up from last year. They had to sling it in order to win. And they did.

Let's re-visit this discussion in November and see where Colorado is and where Iowa is.

It’s not like TCU was an elite squad defensively last year either.

I only have one beef in all of this - if the OL scheme is too complex for us to execute, we need to change it.

I'm all for everything and I don't have a problem with anything else but that's what gets me. We're a B1G West offense and we can't run the ball. At all.

Again Iowa joins OSU Bama Georgia and Clemson as the only teams that have won 8+ games for last 7 years.
Hawkeye program does not suck.

In his first year with a class full of transfers Neon Deon has the team firing on all cylinders in their first game on the road vs the NC runner up. Why is offense so offensive under KF?
Coach Prime had his team firing perfectly on exactly half of it cylinders. The offensive cylinders to be exact. The other half did't even have their spark plugs in. (the defense)

Again Iowa joins OSU Bama Georgia and Clemson as the only teams that have won 8+ games for last 7 years.
Hawkeye program does not suck.
Our offense sucks. BF would have no OC job if not for who his Dad is. Outstanding defense and sp teams have carried this team. What could have been if we had a competent offense. I still hold out hope Jr can figure it out.

Coach Prime had his team firing perfectly on exactly half of it cylinders. The offensive cylinders to be exact. The other half did't even have their spark plugs in. (the defense)
I'm talking about offense. They also played on the road in their FIRST game together as a team against the NC runner up!!! How do you think Iowa's offense would have performed?? Our defense is in good hands thanks to PP. Hate to think where this team would be with out him.

I only have one beef in all of this - if the OL scheme is too complex for us to execute, we need to change it.

I'm all for everything and I don't have a problem with anything else but that's what gets me. We're a B1G West offense and we can't run the ball. At all.
I don't think it is complex actually very simple but hard to sync. The problem also lies with lack of ability by our offensive staff to run plays that take advantage of a defense that sells out to stop the run an pressure our qb.

He’s probably just celebrating a team that has won the 16th most games in the last 10years. The negative posters on here really were a guy down.

sassy talk show the game show GIF by truTV

I really think thats an overly general statement at this point. First whatever TCU was or was not LAST year, that doesn't have a lot of bearing on this year. Second they also gave up 42 points. I know they won 45-42, but how did the game go. I honestly didn't watch it, so maybe someone can fill us in.

I really think thats an overly general statement at this point. First whatever TCU was or was not LAST year, that doesn't have a lot of bearing on this year. Second they also gave up 42 points. I know they won 45-42, but how did the game go. I honestly didn't watch it, so maybe someone can fill us in.

See, that’s just the point & what a far seeing person does… Last year when everyone was singing the praises of TCU & Sonny Dykes, I pointed out I’d be shocked if they had the same kind of team next year.

In reality, they probably do one that plays piss poor defense.

Last edited:
See, that’s just the point & what a dar seeing person does… Last year when everyone was singing the praises of TCU & Sonny Dykes, I pointed out I’d be shocked if they had the same kind of team next year.

In reality, they probably do one that plays piss poor defense.
TCU won a lot of close games last year also.

I think TCU had turnovers at the goal line and in the end zone, twice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT