ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits worth knowing….

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
These are some general Observations about past opponents, future opponents and my expectations and frustrations.

1st off this is very long, don’t read further if your going to wave it off with a TL, Dr…I didn’t post it for your opinions 😊

I’m not going to play tiddlywinks with those who are just mad. I’m posting for those who have hope..

The negatives…..

The run blocking inside truly was awful. It was a little better outside, but only marginally! We are seriously going to have to embrace hat on hat, and wham blocking on the inside in my personal opinion. And I am by no means an offensive line guru, but it’s what I’ve been told!

Cade has to look down field. I believe his next game, assuming he can play, will be much better, but history tells me we had people open down there! (Being in the stadium and seeing someone is always open)

We took some really poor, defensive angles, with some really seasoned players!

Number 10 has to get on the same page as the scheme or there will continue to be gaps in our secondary defense!

Our interior blocking on punt team was surprisingly Poor!

We had some significant drops from veteran pas catchers that would have been TDS.

Now things of note before the positives…

For those who think Iowa State played a much better game, and was more impressive than us. They had 250 yards, had 11 first downs and went 2-11 on third down plays. UNI has been the fourth, fifth and maybe six best team in their conference for 5 to 10 years, they are no juggernaut.

UNI lost last year to Air Force 48 to 17 and the same Utah team, we just played beat 10 win Air Force 34 to 27.

As a result of being told, this was our worst opening performance ever or one of the worst. I went back and did plenty of checking…..

We rarely play very good in September to be perfectly honest with you, especially versus overmatched foes.

I’m not going to do a complete re-breakdown of what I’ve done in other posts but against Colorado state a few years ago (we went 10-4) in our fourth game we had 278 yards and we’re losing at halftime 14 to 7 vs a team that went on to go three and nine!

In the third game that season versus Kent state who went 7–7. It was 16–7 at half and 23-7 at the start of the fourth quarter!

In 2019 we went 10-3 and beat Miami of Ohio (8-6) 38 to 14 and we did have 400 yards. But it was 10 seven at the half and 24-14 at the 12 minute mark of the fourth quarter!

In 2018 we went nine and four and beat northern Illinois 33–7. Stanley was like 11–23 for 108 yards. It was 3-0 at the half and 17-0 at the end of the third-quarter.

The positive….

From the five minute mark on that game honestly was really never in doubt. We had a double digit lead the whole entire game & a late garbage TD at the 130 Mark made it 24 to 14… Yes it’s gross, yes it frustrated the hell out of me!

But, maybe sadly, we have been here many, many times before! Unlike many of our fans, apparently remember!

As frustrated as I was about our interior run blocking, I was literally shocked how good our pass pro generally was!

Jackson started his first game with us ever and has only been here a month. He is an NFL Prospect, and will surely get better! Otherwise, he never should’ve came!

We got three of our portal transfers, 4 counting Rusty Feth significantly involved in the game.

We used three and four TE sets to our advantage multiple times.

Cooper DeJean didn’t play his best game…that deflection he dropped was a sure TD, he didn’t take any chances on punt returns, and the one time he did he honestly missed a seam and instead broke it outside, he won’t do that anymore!

Sebastian Castro had a very up-and-down game and Schulte was basically unnoticeable good, bad or indifferent.

Our D-line did disrupt things, and they had some really good moments, but they also had several coachable gap Integrity issues!

Jay Higgins was a man!! 16 tackles and he was everywhere!

Deshaun Lee missed a couple tkls where he had the guy in the grasp, but generally speaking, if he has to play significant snaps, we are in good hands. Once again, Phil Parker & the defensive staff, have unearthed a gem of a mid tier 3* D-back, who is only a red shirt freshman!

Koen Entriger had to play and seemed fine.

This isn’t necessarily a positive per se, but when we started subbing liberally in 4th quarter on defense we really gave up a lot of space on the field! That led to a garbage, bullshit TD, that took no time at all, and that was wildly frustrating to me… With that said it was utterly meaningless to the game!

When we put Deacon Hill in, again, not necessarily a positive, in the mid fourth quarter we did nothing to move the ball… Maybe he is just that bad and that is a concern, but we completely shut it down!

Honestly, pretty much everything is easily fixable with the exception, admittedly, of the interior line blocking. I will admit I don’t have a ton of confidence there, but surely they can be a little bit better, because they were piss poor!!

In conclusion, this was a pretty typical game for us, and it really wasn’t ever close after the first two TD’s, and we played like it!

The gross stuff truly was gross and I think it soured all of us even those that try to be positive if not pragmatic!

But in hindsight, I think it was probably a better opening game than we “felt”..

Just my thoughts..,

These are some general Observations about past opponents, future opponents and my expectations and frustrations.

1st off this is very long, don’t read further if your going to wave it off with a TL, Dr…I didn’t post it for your opinions 😊

I’m not going to play tiddlywinks with those who are just mad. I’m posting for those who have hope..

The negatives…..

The run blocking inside truly was awful. It was a little better outside, but only marginally! We are seriously going to have to embrace hat on hat, and wham blocking on the inside in my personal opinion. And I am by no means an offensive line guru, but it’s what I’ve been told!

Cade has to look down field. I believe his next game, assuming he can play, will be much better, but history tells me we had people open down there! (Being in the stadium and seeing someone is always open)

Number 10 has to get on the same page as the scheme or there will continue to be gaps in our secondary defense!

We had some significant drops from veteran pas catchers that would have been TDS.

For those who think Iowa State played a much better game, and was more impressive than us. They had 250 yards, had 11 first downs and went 2-11 on third down plays. UNI has been the fourth, fifth and maybe six best team in their conference for 5 to 10 years, they are no juggernaut.

UNI lost last year to Air Force 48 to 17 and the same Utah team, we just played beat 10 win Air Force 34 to 27.

As a result of being told, this was our worst opening performance ever or one of the worst. I went back and did plenty of checking…..

We rarely play very good in September to be perfectly honest with you, especially versus overmatched foes.

I’m not going to do a complete re-breakdown of what I’ve done in other posts but against Colorado state a few years ago (we went 10-4) in our fourth game we had 278 yards and we’re losing at halftime 14 to 7 vs a team that went on to go three and nine!

In the third game that season versus Kent state who went 7–7. It was 16–7 at half and 23-7 at the start of the fourth quarter!

In 2019 we went 10-3 and beat Miami of Ohio (8-6) 38 to 14 and we did have 400 yards. But it was 10 seven at the half and 24-14 at the 12 minute mark of the fourth quarter!

In 2018 we went nine and four and beat northern Illinois 33–7. Stanley was like 11–23 for 108 yards. It was 3-0 at the half and 17-0 at the end of the third-quarter.

The positive….

From the five minute mark on that game honestly was really never in doubt. We had a double digit lead the whole entire game & a late garbage TD at the 130 Mark made it 24 to 14… Yes it’s gross, yes it frustrated the hell out of me!

But, maybe sadly, we have been here many, many times before! Unlike many of our fans, apparently remember!

As frustrated as I was about our interior run blocking, I was literally shocked how good our pass pro generally was!

Jackson started his first game with us ever and has only been here a month. He is an NFL Prospect, and will surely get better! Otherwise, he never should’ve came!

We got three of our portal transfers, 4 counting Rusty Feth significantly involved in the game.

Cooper DeJean didn’t play his best game…that deflection he dropped was a sure TD, he didn’t take any chances on punt returns, and the one time he did he honestly missed a seam and instead broke it outside, he won’t do that anymore!

Sebastian Castro had a very up-and-down game and Schulte was basically unnoticeable good, bad or indifferent.

Our D-line did disrupt things, and they had some really good moments, but they also had several coachable gap Integrity issues!

Deshaun Lee missed a couple tkls where he had the guy in the grasp, but generally speaking, if he has to play significant snaps, we are in good hands. Once again, Phil Parker & the defensive staff, have unearthed a gem of a mid tier 3* D-back, who is only a red shirt freshman!

This isn’t necessarily a positive per se, but when we started subbing liberally in 4th quarter on defense we really gave up a lot of space on the field! That led to a garbage, bullshit TD, that took no time at all, and that was wildly frustrating to me… With that said it was utterly meaningless to the game!

When we put Deacon Hill in, again, not necessarily a positive, in the mid fourth quarter we did nothing to move the ball… Maybe he is just that bad and that is a concern, but we completely shut it down!

Honestly, pretty much everything is easily fixable with the exception, admittedly, of the interior line blocking. I will admit I don’t have a ton of confidence there, but surely they can be a little bit better, because they were piss poor!!

In conclusion, this was a pretty typical game for us, and it really wasn’t ever close after the first two TD’s, and we played like it!

The gross stuff truly was gross and I think it soured all of us even those that try to be positive if not pragmatic!

But in hindsight, I think it was probably a better opening game than we “felt”..

Just my thoughts..,
Let me ask you a question CM. Why is it a “given “ that Kirk and his teams start slow. We have the same number of practices every year as everyone else. And we supposedly run what we run. Why can’t we actually be a fast starter out of the gate? What am I missing?

Our whole last eight minutes of play was utterly disgusting!

I mean, honestly they had six points & 250 yds before that!

That last drive went 26 yards, 15 yard penalty, 13 yards and then 16 yards PLUS a 2pt conversion!

That left a bad, bad taste in my mouth!
Oh I guarantee in Phil’s also. I know #17 was yanked. He didn’t come back out on next defensive series.

Let me ask you a question CM. Why is it a “given “ that Kirk and his teams start slow. We have the same number of practices every year as everyone else. And we supposedly run what we run. Why can’t we actually be a fast starter out of the gate? What am I missing?
Had they scored one more TD to get to 31 would that be considered slow?

Williams dropped a TD. Lachey dropped a likely Td. Ragaini dropped a TD. How about we fix those.

That my friend is one hell of a question! In a moment of brazen honesty, I was pissed yesterday, and I mean really frustrated!

Then my nature kicked in, and I began to reevaluate my feelings!

You wouldn’t know this about me, but I can be highly critical of myself, my actions & my words, and I routinely reevaluate my actions. It’s a strength and weakness & one that makes me especially irritating to some people on here. I have their feelings but I know they aren’t necessarily productive!

As a result, I began to look at how I felt and if I’ve been here before, and how other people have responded!

That lead me to back searching previous performances and I realized I have been here many, many times before!

With that said, your statement is a $1 million dollar one because we do what we do on offense and defense both! You’d think we could be faster starters!

But we do lose plenty of early entries and graduates to the NFL anymore, and we do move people around from their high school positions a lot (some, including our coach, calls us a developmental school, but I honestly don’t like that definition) and this year, we have a lot of newcomers and moving parts!

Honestly, and I know this is very much a positive/glass half full take, but we probably should’ve expected glitches! Even on defense and maybe especially on defense!

Jackson I believe is going to be fine but he did not play very well! If he doesn’t improve he’ll be replaced by a less talented (or green) player who knows his responsibilities!

And that last TD drive by them was as fast as I’ve ever seen a team score on us and I hated it. I take our defensive performance especially personal, way more so than the offense for whatever reason!

As I’ve had time to think things through. This wasn't a great performance but it wasn’t heinous like last year on offense and it wasn’t as good on defense.

I believe our defense will get it straightened out! Our #1 & 2 major concerns are QB health and interior run blocking!

Reactions: Lostgirl57
First games often do not define teams, especially Iowa. Recall 2009's first game, UNI, in which the Hawks had to block field goal attempts on two consecutive plays in order to eke out a weak victory. That team didn't do too poorly, and who knows how far they would have gone had not Stanzi been injured in the Northwestern game?

Reactions: pmtdc
I think there are several reasons:

1. This really is a complex offense vs. something like an RPO type "modern" scheme. This offense is based on running several different plays out of the same personnel and formation. This leads to scheming "makeables" later in the year. Remember the winning TD against PSU a couple years ago? That play was set up weeks before that. It is not a bad thing to be predictable as long as you do the unpredicted when it matters.
2. This game was never in doubt. While sure, all games matter, and they do, but the cat is out of the bag that it is B1G championship or bust this year, for everyone involved. To rank the games with regards to importance, #1 is the B1G championship game, #2 is at Wisconsin and then there are all the others. PSU is a bonus game per say, we can totally lose that one as long as we win the other including beating Wisconsin. That goes for ISU as well, we can lose one of either ISU or PSU. Looking at the schedule there are so many deficiencies with Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, and Michigan St. that we should beat those guys. NW and Rutgers are not very good. So win 2 out of 3 between ISU, PSU and Wisky and we go to Indy.
3. No reason to risk injury. Whether he could run or not, either way the staff told Cade to stay in the pocket. He will have to use his legs in the games that matter, but this one he didn't have to.
4. They know style points don't matter. What matters is winning the B1G championship game, and as long as we only have 1 loss or maybe even 2 and beating an OSU or Michigan, we are going to the CFP.
5. Over-confidence. KF has been burnt before by the fat cats. Keep them humble, keep them digging. This team is not good enough RIGHT NOW to win championship games. Few are. But keep improving, play the underdog, play that card that nobody thinks you are any good, that you suck, and you will keep them hungry.
6. Don't peak too early. The goal is to peak at the end. It is the Mr. Miagi or Rocky southpaw thing, where you put it all together exactly when you need it.

Honestly I think the BF 25 ppg thing is brilliant. He is going to take all the heat, every bit of it. I think Petras took so much heat the last couple of years, both literally and figuratively that I think it broke him. This way BF will shoulder all of it. He is a big boy and knows it is coming. I promise it is not a distraction for him but it shields his young players from having to feel it.

At the end of the day it probably would do much more harm than good to blow this team out. The tools are there, we saw it, and we know from the past years that there are so many options out of all of those formations that BF has at his disposal and I think he has the horses to do it.

My advice: just be patient.

Last edited:
I think there are several reasons:

1. This really is a complex offense vs. something like an RPO type "modern" scheme. This offense is based on running several different plays out of the same personnel and formation. This leads to scheming "makeables" later in the year. Remember the winning TD against PSU a couple years ago? That plays was set up weeks before that. It is not a bad thing to be predictable as long as you do the unpredicted when it matters.
2. This game was never in doubt. While sure, all games matter, and they do, but the cat is out of the bag that it is B1G championship or bust this year, for everyone involved. To rank the games with regards to importance, #1 is the B1G championship game, #2 is at Wisconsin and then there are all the others. PSU is a bonus game per say, we can totally lose that one as long as we win the other including beating Wisconsin. That goes for ISU as well, we can lose one of either ISU or PSU. Looking at the schedule there are so many deficiencies with Nebraska, Minnesota, Minnesota, Purdue, and Michigan St. that we should beat those guys. NW and Rutgers are not very good. So win 2 out of 3 between ISU, PSU and Wisky and we go to Indy.
3. No reason to risk injury. Whether he could run or not, either way the staff told Cade to stay in the pocket. He will have to use his legs in the games that matter, but this one he didn't have to.
4. They know style points don't matter. What matters is winning the B1G championship game, and as long as we only have 1 loss or maybe even 2 and beating an OSU or Michigan, we are going to the CFP.
5. Over-confidence. KF has been burnt before by the fat cats. Keep them humble, keep them digging. This team is not good enough RIGHT NOW to win championship games. Few are. But keep improving, play the underdog, play that card that nobody thinks you are any good, that you suck, and you will keep them hungry.
6. Don't peak too early. The goal is to peak at the end. It is the Mr. Miagi or Rocky southpaw thing, where you put it all together exactly when you need it.

Honestly I think the BF 25 ppg thing is brilliant. He is going to take all the heat, every bit of it. I think Petras took so much heat the last couple of years, both literally and figuratively that I think it broke him. This way BF will shoulder all of it. He is a big boy and knows it is coming. I promise it is not a distraction for him but it shields his young players from having to feel it.

At the end of the day it probably would do much more harm than good to blow this team out. The tools are there, we saw it, and we know from the past years that there are so many options out of all of those formations that BF has at his disposal and I think he has the horses to do it.

My advice: just be patient.

WOW!!!!! Absolutely great post my friend!

tl.gif

In his first year with a class full of transfers Neon Deon has the team firing on all cylinders in their first game on the road vs the NC runner up. Why is offense so offensive under KF?

In his first year with a class full of transfers Neon Deon has the team firing on all cylinders in their first game on the road vs the NC runner up. Why is offense so offensive under KF?
Its like comparing apples and oranges. Prime did a great job, I take my hat off to him. But this was on the road against the national championship runner-up from last year. They had to sling it in order to win. And they did.

Let's re-visit this discussion in November and see where Colorado is and where Iowa is.

I ask this question. If we had scored one more TD and we hit 31. Was that enough points? I mean Brian and Kirk could have kicked a walk off FG at the end to get to 27. The foil hats told us Kirk would do stuff like that now to save his son.
Kirk has never rubbed in a win by scoring garbage points when the game is close to over, except maybe to Minny, haha.

Yes, the final score could have been 27-7 which looks much better.

Something people haven't really been mentioning is with the new clock rules, teams are getting fewer offensive snaps.

Yeah the talk about “shortening games” is bullshit. I don’t know why it’s so hard for them to just run more in game commercials. I’d rather lose commentary than less freaking plays.

Just watched FSU beat the shiat out of LSU and ram it down their throat to score a td with less than 2 minutes to go in the game.

KF and BF need to stop being so God damn nice to opponents through out the game prior to half snd at the end of the game.

Everytime I watch our offense and think "man I miss KOK" I throw up. Iowas problem has and always will be under KF is execution, but it's really that doesn't happen until year 3 on campus most of the time. We never adapt to the personnel.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Yeah the talk about “shortening games” is bullshit. I don’t know why it’s so hard for them to just run more in game commercials. I’d rather lose commentary than less freaking plays.
Our game was 3.5 hours. So much for that wanting games to be 3 hours long. That move was just to get more commercials in.

If networks would just charge more per commercial spot that's all that is needed. It could be sold you get more bang for your buck.

Can we stop pretending our offense is complex just because our QB has to do reads at the line of scrimmage? Our opponents know exactly what we’re going to run every play and we barely execute it at a JV high school level.

Dude you’re free to do whatever you want. As for the offense if they know exactly what we are going to every play then hell, scoring 24pts was awesome!!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I wonder - for those in the know, does Iowa scrimmage as much as other teams in fall practice? I believe they drill the heck out the guys working on individual skills and techniques, but perhaps they don't scrimmage much? Maybe that's why they are a slow starting team early?

Not intended to be an excuse.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Just watched FSU beat the shiat out of LSU and ram it down their throat to score a td with less than 2 minutes to go in the game.

KF and BF need to stop being so God damn nice to opponents through out the game prior to half snd at the end of the game.
The biggest issue preventing this is we can’t run it down people’s throats.

To me, the whole season is about McNamera and his health. It feels like this going to be an issue every game, now. They should have held him out, or yanked him after it was 14-0.

Even if we lose this game, it is mostly meaningless, but that extra full week of healing for McNamera, would have been more beneficial. His health issues now might make a difference in a much more important game down the schedule. I can’t help but feel like we win this game at the expense of several more important games during the rest of the season

I wonder - for those in the know, does Iowa scrimmage as much as other teams in fall practice? I believe they drill the heck out the guys working on individual skills and techniques, but perhaps they don't scrimmage much? Maybe that's why they are a slow starting team early?

Not intended to be an excuse.
I think Kirk is very pro scrimmage with contact. I think a certain DB who transferred to Mich State last year complained about all the contact.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

The negatives…..

The positive….

Just my thoughts..,
Use less exclamation points!

First games often do not define teams, especially Iowa. Recall 2009's first game, UNI, in which the Hawks had to block field goal attempts on two consecutive plays in order to eke out a weak victory. That team didn't do too poorly, and who knows how far they would have gone had not Stanzi been injured in the Northwestern game?
You posted the exception.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT