ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits worth knowing….

See, that’s just the point & what a dar seeing person does… Last year when everyone was singing the praises of TCU & Sonny Dykes, I pointed out I’d be shocked if they had the same kind of team next year.

In reality, they probably do one that plays piss poor defense.
I've never been overly impressed with Dykes, myself.

Amen. If any of us were told we had to do their workouts year round, we'd say f that even if we had our room and board paid.
In fire side chats with ex players, yeah, their workouts (at least under Doyle) were pretty damn hard. The average person would quit well before they would see the gains.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Against the worst DEF in D1 .. and 400 of the 500 yards after missed tackles and a 2 yard throw.. good try, watch the games not just the stat lines!
Kent state is the worst in D1. You use stats for your point and then say not to focus on them in the same sentence...

Kent state is the worst in D1. You use stats for your point and then say not to focus on them in the same sentence...

You are really on a perceived hypocrisy agenda aren't you my friend.

FWIW the argument he used is not one I would. I’d just go with I thought Deon would have a decent squad and TCU caught a wave last year.

Yeah the talk about “shortening games” is bullshit. I don’t know why it’s so hard for them to just run more in game commercials. I’d rather lose commentary than less freaking plays.

Agree….schools and fans invest hundreds of millions of dollars, players and coaches invest the entire offseason in prep…..to get 6 or 7 home games for a whole year. Then the boneheads in charge start trying to shorten that!

and put up 40 something against the BIG's best with a full season under them... so what does that say about those that are saying TCU's defense being porous?
I guess it says in any one game about anything can happen. Hawks hung a ton on Ohio State in 2017.

and put up 40 something against the BIG's best with a full season under them... so what does that say about those that are saying TCU's defense being porous?

Those two points are mutually exclusive. They both can be true & probably are, incidentally!

Their offense was impressive, but out scoring people in 40 pt games regularly isnt a huge recipe for succces.

There is a reason the SEC wins all the championships…

They play good offense and they know how to play defense too!

Thats kind of my point. People make comments about these scenarios with ZERO context. Maybe we let Neon play out the season and see how it goes. I really think the game this weekend with the cornholers should be interesting.

The spread is certainly interesting. If it turns into a 28-25 game either way. I can’t wait to see what these “happy guys” have to say, and you know the Nebraska people will be convinced they’re “back”!!!

Lots of neat scenario, possibilities….

Including the national champ runner up, starting 0-2 to this season after everyone sang the praises of Sonny Dykes & how awesome they were last year.

The spread is certainly interesting. If it turns into a 28-25 game either way. I can’t wait to see what these “happy guys” have to say, and you know the Nebraska people will be convinced they’re “back”!!!

Lots of neat scenario, possibilities….

Including the national champ runner up, starting 0-2 to this season after everyone sang the praises of Sonny Dykes & how awesome they were last year.
The guy made the natty last year. And beat the Big Ten champs in the semifinals. He deserves all the credit he got. Did they get some breaks last year? Of course. A team like TCU, a non blue blood will always need those. There’s a good chance they regress this year, lost some really good players to the league. If he goes 7-5 or 6-6 it takes nothing away from what they did last year.

The guy made the natty last year. And beat the Big Ten champs in the semifinals. He deserves all the credit he got. Did they get some breaks last year? Of course. A team like TCU, a non blue blood will always need those. There’s a good chance they regress this year, lost some really good players to the league. If he goes 7-5 or 6-6 it takes nothing away from what they did last year.

Def not… but, and I’m not sure you’ll agree with this, but to me, you’ve come a lot closer to the middle of the road in the last year or so.

Meaning you’re not a hard-core hater and that’s not even the right word to use. I apologize, I am trying not to use that word, but the point is this; those folks on our board that are never happy with the coaches, propped him up like he was some sort of coaching savant, and he got fired a Cal and he didn’t have that great of record at SMU and suddenly they caught lightning in a bottle…

Yes, kudos to him, but nobody that has watched football for a long time thought he suddenly turned TCU into a 10 win a year Juggernaut .

But that’s what people on this site would’ve had you believe. And the problem is when they use other coaches to try to run their own coach down. It’s really kind of a bitter pill for some of us guys to swallow!

It’s hard to win football games period & people need to learn to be appreciative of what they have, and hope for more without being a constant dick!! Just my opinion 😊

Def not… but, and I’m not sure you’ll agree with this, but to me, you’ve come a lot closer to the middle of the road in the last year or so.

Meaning you’re not a hard-core hater and that’s not even the right word to use. I apologize, I am trying not to use that word, but the point is this; those folks on our board that are never happy with the coaches, propped him up like he was some sort of coaching savant, and he got fired a Cal and he didn’t have that great of record at SMU and suddenly they caught lightning in a bottle…

Yes, kudos to him, but nobody that has watched football for a long time thought he suddenly turned TCU into a 10 win a year Juggernaut .

But that’s what people on this site would’ve had you believe. And the problem is when they use other coaches to try to run their own coach down. It’s really kind of a bitter pill for some of us guys to swallow!

It’s hard to win football games period & people need to learn to be appreciative of what they have, and hope for more without being a constant dick!! Just my opinion 😊
Agree that it’s very hard to win football games. Dykes was also at some schools that were not exactly easy to win at, especially Cal. I like and respect Kirk. Honestly how can you not? I’ll admit I don’t like how the Brian situation has been handled by him and Brian is not an easy guy to like. And they both had to know what could happen if things went poorly and they have turned that way quickly to where it could affect the overall health of the program at the end of the year if the offense continues to not hold up its end of the bargain. You confuse criticism with hate in every post. Because people want better for the program doesn’t mean we hate Iowa or aren’t fans.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
Agree that it’s very hard to win football games. Dykes was also at some schools that were not exactly easy to win at, especially Cal. I like and respect Kirk. Honestly how can you not? I’ll admit I don’t like how the Brian situation has been handled by him and Brian is not an easy guy to like. And they both had to know what could happen if things went poorly and they have turned that way quickly to where it could affect the overall health of the program at the end of the year if the offense continues to not hold up its end of the bargain. You confuse criticism with hate in every post. Because people want better for the program doesn’t mean we hate Iowa or aren’t fans.

Meh….no, I think you have turned a blind eye to over the top, mean spirited ,vitriol and called it criticism.

You know I can be critical you called me out for it just the other day.

That’s NOT what the people I have issues with are and I’m not screwing with you, I think we understand each other.

But the constant, hostility is a problem. And I think you are well aware, I want Brian gone. But here is the deal…we have gone from KOK who I liked (those fans didn’t) to GD better coach than he got credit for, bad bad fit and those fans loathed him… to this…

I don’t care for him you don’t care for him and those fans bitch constantly about him…it makes following this football team awful and they all think KF will do better….LOL

Yep, that sure looks like the trend….

See, I’m called positive and in worst case scenarios a homer and a Pollyanna but what I really am is a pragmatist.

Ill believe we get a better option when we have it!

Last edited:
Man have we fielded a shit ton of fast athletic defenders since Doyle left!

But I know as fans it’s always got to be something
And I can except your statement. In my opinion even though the offensive line is inexperienced over the last few years I feel they have lost a bit in strength or something that the opponents defense counters with.
I just feel Iowa is missing something in the strength and conditioning since.

Reactions: ltsimmer
And I can except your statement. In my opinion even though the offensive line is inexperienced over the last few years I feel they have lost a bit in strength or something that the opponents defense counters with.
I just feel Iowa is missing something in the strength and conditioning since.

Well… Being open minded I don’t agree with the strength thing at all because we still continue to put up seemingly record numbers in the weight room. But it has been said before Doyle really focused, and was involved in the offensive line.

Maybe it's on the field attitude then.
Doyle was always exuberant on the sideline getting after players.
I'm not in the attitude that Doyle did nothing wrong with the scenario he left Iowa.
In my opinion something is missing in aggressiveness with the offense line that maybe Doyle gave them a boost at.

Man have we fielded a shit ton of fast athletic defenders since Doyle left!

But I know as fans it’s always got to be something
I guess you missed (omitted) the glaringly obvious lack of OL strength since he left. I understand deflection is an easy opportunity, but it doesn't take away from the facts.

I guess you missed (omitted) the glaringly obvious lack of OL strength since he left. I understand deflection is an easy opportunity, but it doesn't take away from the facts.
We have plenty of strong guys on the o line. It's not like these guys are bench pressing 185 lbs. The Doyle shit gets old. As CM said why is our defense as fast and stronger than ever?

Kirk has never rubbed in a win by scoring garbage points when the game is close to over, except maybe to Minny, haha.

Yes, the final score could have been 27-7 which looks much better.
LOL this didn't age well. Passing on 3rd and goal from the 2 with a 24 point lead and less than a minute in the game. Definition of garbage points....

Reactions: Garzatough85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT