ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Brando Picks Nebraska # 8, Iowa State # 11, Brock Purdy Heisman 2020

Iowa Hog

HR MVP
Sep 30, 2001
Iowa faces a tough schedule if Tim Brando's picks are correct with Michigan # 3, Nebraska # 8,
and Iowa State # 11. On the Paul Finebaum he raved about Purdy's leadership and a potential Heisman in 2020. Tim Brando is an entertaining spokesman for college football, I don't know why he does not appear on Big Ten Network

I believe under captain Kirk every 4 or 5 seasons iowa gets to 10 plus wins iowa is due I believe this team is capable of big things.Those boys in iowa city are being overlooked.We will know in Ames how good they are.The team in Ames is being hyped.I will finish with this go kick some ass boys.

I believe under captain Kirk every 4 or 5 seasons iowa gets to 10 plus wins iowa is due I believe this team is capable of big things.Those boys in iowa city are being overlooked.We will know in Ames how good they are.The team in Ames is being hyped.I will finish with this go kick some ass boys.
I'll just say Go Hawks

And, picking Nebraska at #8 ? Tim, please! There is no way they have a Defense that gets them in the top 10 CFP Rankings by the end of the year.

If they win the Big Ten West Division it will be with the most points allowed in the last two decades. Favorable Big Ten home schedule aside, they will need to successfully navigate a tricky road game against a P5 opponent in the high altitude Colorado Buffalo and back home against an always tough well coached NIU team to start the season. To win the West and get to the Big Ten title game, they will need to lose no more than 1, possibly 2 BiG games.

At home vs. Ohio State, NU, Wis, Iowa (4 against the top 3rd of the conference)? That's not an easy schedule at all. And, no trip-ups on the road against Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois and the long trip to the east coast against Maryland?

Tim may be entertaining, but he is not a very good analyst.

Sorry, but I see at least 2 Debby losses at home and at least 1 on the road and only if Martinez stays healthy with every team on their schedule scheming to stop him.

Last edited:
If Debbie finishes the season ranked #8 in Frosts second year, then that man should be named coach of the decade. This is not a UCF schedule in the BiG, and the BiG plays defense much better then any team UCF played in Frost's time there. So, I think Frost will right the little Debbie ship, I just think to do it in his second year is asking a bit much. . Debbie will need to play much better defense this year, and teams have a year of film on Martinez who needs to avoid the sophomore slump, and injury........ As for the Hawks, they're under the radar where the team plays better anyway.

If Debbie finishes the season ranked #8 in Frosts second year, then that man should be named coach of the decade. This is not a UCF schedule in the BiG, and the BiG plays defense much better then any team UCF played in Frost's time there. So, I think Frost will right the little Debbie ship, I just think to do it in his second year is asking a bit much. . Debbie will need to play much better defense this year, and teams have a year of film on Martinez who needs to avoid the sophomore slump, and injury........ As for the Hawks, they're under the radar where the team plays better anyway.
Jury's still out on whether Frost will do as well as Bo Pelini who, depending on who you talk to, had not righted the ship in spite of averaging 9+ wins a year, just saying.

People like Brando WANT to see Nub back in the top10 consistently....this is how they do it, by unrealistically elevating them in their rankings early and often. It’s like fake news, eventually the masses begin to accept it as fact.

Not sure how to explain the #11 pick, but I will posit that all of those prognosticators on the Cyclone train are also confidently predicting Campbell won’t be in Ames much longer. They all know that program isn’t even on Boise State’s level and once a big dog in need of a new coach comes calling...he gone!

Talking heads realize how the media works. You make an outlandish statement and see what happens.

If their picks bomb out... no one remembers. If, by chance they become fact... then they can tout their prediction.

This happens in sports, politics, and nearly every walk of life.

I could see NU and ISU ranked that high with signature wins over Iowa and (OSU and OU respectively).

I wouldn’t bank on it though. When Iowa has a strong defense, we can play ball control. This seasons D projects as top 15.

Reactions: Wadzinator
ISU at 11 is not crazy at all. ISU Bryce will lose his sh.t when I say this and Bryce it does not mean ISU will or should win 10 games BUT ISU is not only really good it is their schedule. The BiG 12 overall is incredibly down this year. Like really bad. ISU will be favored in 10 of their 12 games. Only teams on paper from Vegas they “should” lose to will be at Okie and at home against Texas. They get byes before Iowa and Okie and Texas at home in November. Half the conference has new coaches and is in rebuild mode. I mean there are a couple variables on predictions. The obvious is talent coming back and coaching. The other is schedule. JFC the Big 12 is putrid outside of Okie (new QB and zero D), Texas (lost the most starters of any Big 12 team) and ISU. I would be absolutely shocked if ISU doesn’t win 10 games this year assuming no major injuries.

Reactions: BIGSTICK67
People like Brando WANT to see Nub back in the top10 consistently....this is how they do it, by unrealistically elevating them in their rankings early and often. It’s like fake news, eventually the masses begin to accept it as fact.

Not sure how to explain the #11 pick, but I will posit that all of those prognosticators on the Cyclone train are also confidently predicting Campbell won’t be in Ames much longer. They all know that program isn’t even on Boise State’s level and once a big dog in need of a new coach comes calling...he gone!

Boise State is a bad school to use as a putdown. They are .820 over the past ten years. ISU isn't on a level with Oregon State under Riley before he left for Nubby. The Clowns are by any statistical measure one of the worst football programs in the history of the game.

I don’t get the Husker love. They can score and Martinez is a very good QB. However, a converted injury prone backup TE moved to center in the off-season is set to start. The Big Ten is not the AAC.

Their vaunted blackshirts finished #95 in total defense a year ago. They are thin @ LB and you can’t be in the Big Ten. They did not win a road game last year. I need to see them at minimum slow down a rushing attack before I buy in. You can’t outscore everybody all the time. I see them 8-4/7-5 with the assist to a beneficial schedule.

I can see Nebraska winning 8-9 games because their schedule is pretty easy. However, they could also disappoint especially if their D resembles the 2018 version.

Reactions: Wadzinator
This is good, another ranking for both teams to thump their chests over....these teams have done nothing to warrant this high of a ranking from anybody...they have done nothing in recent years to back up anything. These 2 fan bases are gullible and delusional and buy into this BS...

I only say this because it's great and gives me a good feeling when they get their hopes up and then get punched in the gut down the road...just a matter of when, and then reality sets in...

Thanks again, Brando...

Last edited:
Boise State is a bad school to use as a putdown. They are .820 over the past ten years. ISU isn't on a level with Oregon State under Riley before he left for Nubby. The Clowns are by any statistical measure one of the worst football programs in the history of the game.
You obviously didn't understand the context of why I compared the two.

I'm saying that even tho Iswho is a "P5" program, it still isn't on the level of BSU. BSU's success vs legit P5 programs has been commendable for sure, but it still plays in a lower level conference. Some might think Iswho could contend for conference titles in BSU's conference, but I say otherwise.

I can see Nebraska winning 8-9 games because their schedule is pretty easy. However, they could also disappoint especially if their D resembles the 2018 version.
This is fair. I also think it's safe to assume the D will get better in the second year in a system and Neb didn't lose a ton on that side of the ball. Neb's offense (assuming Martinez stays healthy) should be right there with OSU as the top offenses in the B1G. I think Neb goes 9-3 reg season with a chance to win 10 with a bowl win. Not a top 10 finish, but top 15 is doable IMO.

You obviously didn't understand the context of why I compared the two.

I'm saying that even tho Iswho is a "P5" program, it still isn't on the level of BSU. BSU's success vs legit P5 programs has been commendable for sure, but it still plays in a lower level conference. Some might think Iswho could contend for conference titles in BSU's conference, but I say otherwise.

And I wouldn't use "even Boise State" in any comparison. They have probably been a top 10 program over the past decade regardless of conference. It would actually be an intriguing home and home series for the Hawks-one that would do much more for their national perception than Clown U. Hell, I would probably make that trip.

And I wouldn't use "even Boise State" in any comparison. They have probably been a top 10 program over the past decade regardless of conference. It would actually be an intriguing home and home series for the Hawks-one that would do much more for their national perception than Clown U. Hell, I would probably make that trip.
BSU is as dirty as UNLV was in bball a couple decades ago...they will also be as irrelevant some day.

BSU is as dirty as UNLV was in bball a couple decades ago...they will also be as irrelevant some day.

Yeah. So is Alabama and every other program that wins at that level. At least Boise booted players for sexual misconduct as opposed to a certain P5 program west of here.

Brando is a good announcer but he’s kind of easily distracted like James Woods on Family Guy. Oooh piece of candy

Reactions: Bdbella
This is fair. I also think it's safe to assume the D will get better in the second year in a system and Neb didn't lose a ton on that side of the ball. Neb's offense (assuming Martinez stays healthy) should be right there with OSU as the top offenses in the B1G. I think Neb goes 9-3 reg season with a chance to win 10 with a bowl win. Not a top 10 finish, but top 15 is doable IMO.

Trying to come off as reasonable GBR? Vegas’ over/under for Braska is 7.5 — last year it was 6.5. Vegas was disappointed last year with four wins. The defense is largely the same. The offense is largely the same.

9-10 wins would be punching well above your weight.

So,
Win a game on the road in the B1G with Frostie.
Win a game that you’re ranked in.
Win a game that both teams are ranked in.
Then come back and beat your chest about your chance at 9 or 10 wins — maybe say AM’s senior year.

The one thing that Nebraska fans and their media seem to completely over look is that other teams improve...other teams have desire to win every game...other teams have high expectations....seems that their opie-dopey coach Frost forgets that. I'm amazed reading the Omaha Weird Herald that the coaches and collective Nebraska mnidset is that they are strong just about everywhere on defense...and very deep too!....that's just too weird for a team that just went 4-8.....it's called delusional thinking. Nebraska is champs at that...thus they are the off-season champs at everything...they will end up playing for the National Championship (not making this up on

The one thing that Nebraska fans and their media seem to completely over look is that other teams improve...other teams have desire to win every game...other teams have high expectations....seems that their opie-dopey coach Frost forgets that. I'm amazed reading the Omaha Weird Herald that the coaches and collective Nebraska mindset is that they are strong just about everywhere on defense...and very deep too!....that's just too weird for a team that just went 4-8.....it's called delusional thinking. Nebraska is champs at that...thus they are the off-season champs at everything...they will end up playing for the National Champonship. (not making this up that some of their players are boasting this now)

As far as Iowa st....they may upset a team...like they always do each year...but they can't sustain week-to-week high level of play to ever end up at #11, Also always seems to be big12 dissing around here...but they only have 10 teams and they are quite competitive...and their offenses have been so high powered the past decade that they chew up any defense, including the over-hyped SEC defenses....OU may have lost to Alabama, but their offense ripped the Alabama defense to shreds. Texas (I can't stand), but they ripped Georgia last year....and just 2 years ago OU demolished Ohio st at their place. They only have 1 bad team in the league...that's Kansas....look around the big10...there are many bad teams. OU has a real defensive coordinator now...so they will once again be in the final four..and may win it all (some poster said they have a new QB...yea...Jalen Hurts and the best play caller in football in Riley. Not here to cheerlead the big12..just keeping it real. Mostly I can't stand the ESPN darling channel child SEC.

ISU at 11 is not crazy at all. ISU Bryce will lose his sh.t when I say this and Bryce it does not mean ISU will or should win 10 games BUT ISU is not only really good it is their schedule. The BiG 12 overall is incredibly down this year. Like really bad. ISU will be favored in 10 of their 12 games. Only teams on paper from Vegas they “should” lose to will be at Okie and at home against Texas. They get byes before Iowa and Okie and Texas at home in November. Half the conference has new coaches and is in rebuild mode. I mean there are a couple variables on predictions. The obvious is talent coming back and coaching. The other is schedule. JFC the Big 12 is putrid outside of Okie (new QB and zero D), Texas (lost the most starters of any Big 12 team) and ISU. I would be absolutely shocked if ISU doesn’t win 10 games this year assuming no major injuries.

Let's be real here. Iowa has feasted on a weak A$$ conference schedule for years. Is the Hawks conference schedule honestly easier than Iowa States? Let's compare in order of toughest games to likely easiest games.

@Oklahoma/@Michigan
Texas/@Nebraska
TCU/@Wisconsin
@Baylor/@Northwestern
Okie State/Penn State
@Texas Tech/Purdue
@Kansas State/Minnesota
@West Virginia/Rutgers
Kansas/Illinois

If you look at that and suggest Iowa hands down has the tougher conference schedule I'm not sure what to tell you. Hawks also have 5 conference games at home as compared to 4 for Iowa State.

Should have guessed you would come trolling. Not gonna bother to address as even Clone fans and Big 12 homers readily admit the conference will be way down this year. Half the league has new coaches. Oh BTW just 2 years ago Iowa’s schedule was rated harder than ISU’s. So “all those years” must have included just last year huh troll?!

Should have guessed you would come trolling. Not gonna bother to address as even Clone fans and Big 12 homers readily admit the conference will be way down this year. Half the league has new coaches. Oh BTW just 2 years ago Iowa’s schedule was rated harder than ISU’s. So “all those years” must have included just last year huh troll?!
Four new coaches in the B12 certainly point towards transition years for those clubs. I believe WVU is going to be the worst team in the conference. As for the other 6 teams, I think they will all be fairly stout with a very strong top 3.....and yes, ISU is one of those top 3

The one thing that Nebraska fans and their media seem to completely over look is that other teams improve...other teams have desire to win every game...other teams have high expectations....seems that their opie-dopey coach Frost forgets that. I'm amazed reading the Omaha Weird Herald that the coaches and collective Nebraska mnidset is that they are strong just about everywhere on defense...and very deep too!....that's just too weird for a team that just went 4-8.....it's called delusional thinking. Nebraska is champs at that...thus they are the off-season champs at everything...they will end up playing for the National Championship (not making this up on
Except it not just Neb fans and Neb media. That should be clear as day if you pay any attention to college football outside of this "Neb hate" echo chamber. Countless non-Neb writers, college football experts, and even ESPN's FPI game day predictions (favoring Neb in 10 of the 12 reg season games) like Neb to win 8+ games this coming season. Phil Steele is one of the best in the biz and he likes Neb as his breakout team. Again... ItSnOtJuStNeBrAsKaFaNs. So if the majority of college football experts are saying it, but Iowa fans are not...who do you think are the delusional ones?

Assuming myself and other (non-Neb fans also) are discounting other teams improving is incorrect. However, it's pretty common to assume a team with a new staff, new schemes should improve in yr 2. Looking at Neb schedule you have CU with a first year coach, OSU has more unknowns than before with Urbs gone, Wisc lost a ton, NW is breaking in a new QB, Maryland has a new coaching staff (and they suck), Iowa lost a lot of production on both sides of the ball, etc. The only team that clearly looks like it has drastically improved is Minn based on how they finished last season and bring back a ton. So...it is still logical to expect Neb to do much better this season even when breakdown opponents. Plus Neb's schedule is easier with OSU, Wisc, Iowa, NW all coming to Lincoln whereas Neb played them all on the road last season. Not even taking into account how Neb's staff helped UCF make a huge leap in yr 2.

It's delusional to think Neb will go 4-8 or close to that again this season. If that's what you expect...be ready to be disappointed, but you shouldn't be surprised because a lot of people that aren't Neb fans/media are telling you Neb could take a big step.

I see a lot of words... but no reasons... for why Nebraska will be equally good or better than last season.

Nebraska fans are setting themselves up for extreme disappointment.

Nebraska lost to Northwestern Wisconsin Purdue and Iowa last year..
I don't see any reason to believe they won't lose again to those 4 teams...
and let's be honest.. their season is gonna come down to those 4 games plus the Minnesota game.

what happens when Nebraska loses to South Alabama the first week of the season?

Reactions: sltldowney

Big 12 is down. I admit. Still better than the Big West schedule you play every single year. Proof is in the pudding. You dont want to try to argue whatbI posted above because you cant. Iowa State has the harder toughest conference year in and year out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT