ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Brando Picks Nebraska # 8, Iowa State # 11, Brock Purdy Heisman 2020

I don't think Nebraska's defense will improve like Husker fans think it will. Former Hawkeye or not, I don't think much of Eric Chinander as a coach. His 2016 UCF defense gave up 24.6 points a game, but slipped to 25.3 in 2017. In 2018, his Husker defense gave up 31.3 ppg. His defenses have given up big plays at both of his stops. I like a team that plays ball control offense and makes you march it down the field on defense against Nebraska who wants to score fast and win a shoot out.

I don't think Nebraska's defense will improve like Husker fans think it will. Former Hawkeye or not, I don't think much of Eric Chinander as a coach. His 2016 UCF defense gave up 24.6 points a game, but slipped to 25.3 in 2017. In 2018, his Husker defense gave up 31.3 ppg. His defenses have given up big plays at both of his stops. I like a team that plays ball control offense and makes you march it down the field on defense against Nebraska who wants to score fast and win a shoot out.

to be fair, Nebraska gave up 437 points in 2017 and only 375 points in 2018

however... that 375 points and 31.3 average per game was the 12th best in the Big Ten... only Rutgers and Illinois had a worse defense.

to go from that to 9 or 10 wins is unreasonable, imo.

Iowa has a great defense and is a legitimate contender for the Big Ten West Division Title.... Nebraska does not have a great defense and they are NOT a legitimate contender for the West Division Title.
no more than Illinois is a legitimate contender.

Scott Frost took a 12-1 (2013/2018) UCF team and made them 13-0 (2017) one time.

that's a good job.. but... he couldn't make a 4-8 (2017) Nebraska team into a 5-7 team last year.

so begs the question... who is the better coach... Frost or Riley ?

if I was Nebraska, I would rehire Bo Pelini
7 years of 9+ wins and 3 division titles

No 5555 I am not arguing cause it’s the same crap. You said harder schedule each year and I pointed out you were wrong. I think 2 of the last 4 years Iowa had a harder schedule. And every year but the last 2 ISU brought down Iowa’s schedule. But whatever if you keep needing other teams to fight your battles so be it. U gonna bring up Stanford again? Second, do you realize in the preseason rankings the Big 10 west has as many ranked teams as the entire Big 12? Move on troll.

to be fair, Nebraska gave up 437 points in 2017 and only 375 points in 2018

however... that 375 points and 31.3 average per game was the 12th best in the Big Ten... only Rutgers and Illinois had a worse defense.

to go from that to 9 or 10 wins is unreasonable, imo.

Iowa has a great defense and is a legitimate contender for the Big Ten West Division Title.... Nebraska does not have a great defense and they are NOT a legitimate contender for the West Division Title.

Scott Frost took a 12-1 (2013/2018) UCF team and made them 13-0 (2017) one time.

that's a good job.. but... he couldn't make a 4-8 (2017) Nebraska team into a 5-7 team last year.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Scote Frost
Big 12 is down. I admit. Still better than the Big West schedule you play every single year. Proof is in the pudding. You dont want to try to argue whatbI posted above because you cant. Iowa State has the harder toughest conference year in and year out.
You're a dandy.

I see a lot of words... but no reasons... for why Nebraska will be equally good or better than last season.

Nebraska fans are setting themselves up for extreme disappointment.

Nebraska lost to Northwestern Wisconsin Purdue and Iowa last year..
I don't see any reason to believe they won't lose again to those 4 teams...
and let's be honest.. their season is gonna come down to those 4 games plus the Minnesota game.

what happens when Nebraska loses to South Alabama the first week of the season?
Iowa lost to Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Purdue last year with 2 first rounders and the longest tenured head coach. We also lost to all 3 teams the previous year. So you don’t think we have any chance to win these games this year?

This is fair. I also think it's safe to assume the D will get better in the second year in a system and Neb didn't lose a ton on that side of the ball. Neb's offense (assuming Martinez stays healthy) should be right there with OSU as the top offenses in the B1G. I think Neb goes 9-3 reg season with a chance to win 10 with a bowl win. Not a top 10 finish, but top 15 is doable IMO.
Nebraska lost 5 of their top 6 tacklers from last year.

Let's be real here. Iowa has feasted on a weak A$$ conference schedule for years. Is the Hawks conference schedule honestly easier than Iowa States? Let's compare in order of toughest games to likely easiest games.

@Oklahoma/@Michigan
Texas/@Nebraska
TCU/@Wisconsin
@Baylor/@Northwestern
Okie State/Penn State
@Texas Tech/Purdue
@Kansas State/Minnesota
@West Virginia/Rutgers
Kansas/Illinois

If you look at that and suggest Iowa hands down has the tougher conference schedule I'm not sure what to tell you. Hawks also have 5 conference games at home as compared to 4 for Iowa State.

Yet 3 out of the last 5 years according to ISU fan's go to SOS argument Iowa had a tougher one. Last year ISU was 24th and Iowa 27th so they were pretty darn even. Iowa has Michigan and PSU as 2 of 3 cross over games with Wisconsin, NW and Nebraska all receiving preseason top 25 hype.

Who else is the Big 12 besides OU and Texas will be any good this year?

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2019-01-08

Yet 3 out of the last 5 years according to ISU fan's go to SOS argument Iowa had a tougher one. Last year ISU was 24th and Iowa 27th so they were pretty darn even. Iowa has Michigan and PSU as 2 of 3 cross over games with Wisconsin, NW and Nebraska all receiving preseason top 25 hype.

Who else is the Big 12 besides OU and Texas will be any good this year?

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2019-01-08
If you dig deep enough, you can find a metric that will back up your claim. Problem is that none of the publicized and accepted metrics do. ISU’s schedule has been significantly tougher since the B10 went to divisions. The hawks have a challenging schedule this year but still avoid the conference champ.

True, but we have way more depth on the line this year and get a few back from injury. The secondary is back, and the safeties who are starting this year probably could have made a case to start last year as I think they are more athletic. I'm not saying Nebraska is going to have an Iowaesque D, but they won't be as bad as the last few years.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
If you dig deep enough, you can find a metric that will back up your claim. Problem is that none of the publicized and accepted metrics do. ISU’s schedule has been significantly tougher since the B10 went to divisions. The hawks have a challenging schedule this year but still avoid the conference champ.

Well show me another. I know Sagarin isn't in your favor showing Iowa ahead as well. I've posted this before and you've made this claim over and over but never shown me anything else and I've asked and funny you never respond with anything.

Last edited:
Iowa lost to Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Purdue last year with 2 first rounders and the longest tenured head coach. We also lost to all 3 teams the previous year. So you don’t think we have any chance to win these games this year?

Illinois also lost to those 3 teams
both Illinois and Nebraska was 4-8 last year

the reason I am optimistic about Iowa... other than what happened in 2015
in 2016, Iowa won 8 games
in 2017, Iowa won 8 games
in 2018, Iowa won 9 games

they appear to be a team on the rise

Nebraska, on the other hand...
in 2016, Nebraska won 9 games
in 2017, Nebraska won 4 games
in 2018, Nebraska won 4 games

Nebraska appears to be a team on the decline

last 26, Nebraska is 8-18
last 26, Iowa is 17-9

in the last 4 years, 3 different teams have won the West
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern

I consider Iowa a legitimate contender
I do not consider Illinois and Nebraska to be legitimate contenders

for whoever is going to win the West, they must beat Wisconsin Northwestern and Purdue, imo
you gotta win all your division games like Iowa did in 2015

but if I am a Nebraska fan... I'd worry about beating South Alabama first game of the year... after that they have a road game against Colorado, whom they lost to last year... and then they have a game against MAC champ Northern Illinois... the fan base will turn south quickly if they don't make it through this stretch.

Nebraska might want to rehire Bo Pelini

Reactions: sltldowney
Well show me another. I know Sagarin isn't in your favor showing Iowa ahead as well. I've posted this before and you've made this claim over and over but never shown me anything else and I've asked and funny you never respond with anything.
I just looked at Sagarin and ISU’s schedule was tougher 3 out of the last 4 years. I did not go any further back because I am sure it is much of the same. You may be looking in the wrong column on Sagarin.

Except it not just Neb fans and Neb media. That should be clear as day if you pay any attention to college football outside of this "Neb hate" echo chamber. Countless non-Neb writers, college football experts, and even ESPN's FPI game day predictions (favoring Neb in 10 of the 12 reg season games) like Neb to win 8+ games this coming season. Phil Steele is one of the best in the biz and he likes Neb as his breakout team. Again... ItSnOtJuStNeBrAsKaFaNs. So if the majority of college football experts are saying it, but Iowa fans are not...who do you think are the delusional ones?

Assuming myself and other (non-Neb fans also) are discounting other teams improving is incorrect. However, it's pretty common to assume a team with a new staff, new schemes should improve in yr 2. Looking at Neb schedule you have CU with a first year coach, OSU has more unknowns than before with Urbs gone, Wisc lost a ton, NW is breaking in a new QB, Maryland has a new coaching staff (and they suck), Iowa lost a lot of production on both sides of the ball, etc. The only team that clearly looks like it has drastically improved is Minn based on how they finished last season and bring back a ton. So...it is still logical to expect Neb to do much better this season even when breakdown opponents. Plus Neb's schedule is easier with OSU, Wisc, Iowa, NW all coming to Lincoln whereas Neb played them all on the road last season. Not even taking into account how Neb's staff helped UCF make a huge leap in yr 2.

It's delusional to think Neb will go 4-8 or close to that again this season. If that's what you expect...be ready to be disappointed, but you shouldn't be surprised because a lot of people that aren't Neb fans/media are telling you Neb could take a big step.

I think 8 wins is realistic. Wouldn’t be surprised if a few less or 1 more but I think anyone predicting 10+ isn’t being a realistic. I think any objective Nebraska fan would admit there are still quite a few question marks at this point. Yes, the schedule does look favorable but I have seen many years where going into the year I thought Iowa’s schedule appeared very favorable only to have that not be the case - and vice-versa.

Just interested in getting Nebraska fans thoughts but if a significant injury occurred to Martinez very early in the year where he couldn’t play the rest of the year - or was pretty limited - what would be their expectations to how the season would play out? I’m just curios because I feel like a lot of the excitement is centered around Martinez and what he brings to the table.

I think 8 wins is realistic. Wouldn’t be surprised if a few less or 1 more but I think anyone predicting 10+ isn’t being a realistic. I think any objective Nebraska fan would admit there are still quite a few question marks at this point. Yes, the schedule does look favorable but I have seen many years where going into the year I thought Iowa’s schedule appeared very favorable only to have that not be the case - and vice-versa.

Just interested in getting Nebraska fans thoughts but if a significant injury occurred to Martinez very early in the year where he couldn’t play the rest of the year - or was pretty limited - what would be their expectations to how the season would play out? I’m just curios because I feel like a lot of the excitement is centered around Martinez and what he brings to the table.

An injury to Martinez would not be good. That's pretty true for most football teams though. The backups are in better situation then Nebraska was in last year, but we would need to see how they perform in order to really gage how Nebraska would do from that point forward.

I think Vedral could be okay. Just assuming Nebraska was starting him, Id probably anticipate a 7-8 win season. With Martinez, the ceiling is just much higher. I would guess a 8-9 win season, but could see a 10-11 win season and potential Big Ten Title if he REALLY goes off. Like a Johnny Football/Jaemis Winston type season. I think he is capable of that type of season. But we will see.

Texan - of course week 2 is open. Um just like the big boy Super Bowl JP made sure to give God (Campbell) and the messiah (Purdy) an extra week for Iowa. So they get their first game out of the way and an extra week to prepare for Iowa. Unreal. Home game, perfect schedule, best team in ISU history, spend all offseason focusing on Iowa (the first month is UNI, a directional Louisiana school, a bye and the Super Bowl). If ISU doesn’t win handily, serious problems in Ames. They really can’t claim Super Bowl on Iowa’s part with the hand crafted schedule plus JP did say they are the bear.

Part of the reason they give up more points though is that there are more possessions and plays in the game for both teams. I don't think he is a great defensive coach but you can't look solely at PPG. Defensive efficiency is a better measure of a defense. I can see them making some improvements on defense. I don't think they will be great by any means but they don't need to be great. They just need to do good enough that their offense can outscore the other team.

If Martinez does go down it is going to be huge no doubt. The backups are serviceable but will not win any big games in my opinion. The defense is going to be stronger which will help just because it actually has depth and another year of S&C. It isn't going to be a top rated D, but if it cracks the Top 50, you will see a much better NU team. Martinez is the key piece, but a lot of top teams really on the QB.

Part of the reason they give up more points though is that there are more possessions and plays in the game for both teams. I don't think he is a great defensive coach but you can't look solely at PPG. Defensive efficiency is a better measure of a defense. I can see them making some improvements on defense. I don't think they will be great by any means but they don't need to be great. They just need to do good enough that their offense can outscore the other team.

you're right concerning Nebraska.. they have to rely on outscoring teams traditionally, like they did in 2012 when they won the division...
that year they gave up 27.6 points per game.. yet still won the division..

now, of course... they gave up 70 points in the Championship Game.
but they did make it there with a pretty poor defense... not entirely unlike their defense this year.

This is true, but it's also just a surface level look. Three of those top 5 were at S. Neb is replacing them with D. Williams who graded out as the best S on the team and in the B1G according to Pro Football Prospectus. Williams played limited snap in his first season at Neb, but has 2 INTs and 2 FF. He should be an upgrade. The other S spot will probably belong to M. Dismuke who is a RS Jr and former 4*. He has flashed, but has taken time to develop and now has his turn. The Safety spot has been upgraded from an athletic standpoint.

Losing OLB Gifford is a loss. He'll be replaced by JoJo Domman who flashed last year (finally health). OLB is thin, but it was thin last season as well.

At ILB Neb returns their leading tackler, Mo Barry and losses D. Young. Young played a lot at Neb, but was never an impact player. He's replaceable. Neb gets former Iowa target Will Honas back from injury and Collin Miller steps in at ILB. Again thin at ILB, but they were thin there last year also. 4* ILB Jackson Hannah has the size to play early and should get a chance to play as a freshman.

However, both starting CBs return, more depth with Cam Taylor and Braxton Clark having game experience now (both were freshman last season). At CB Lamar Jackson (Sr now) played his best ball of his career the second half of the season. At the other corner, Bootle was near the top of the league in pass breakups and he returns after his first full season as a starter. Also, worth noting this is the first season in as long as I can remember that Neb returns their DB coach.

I think the biggest difference will be DL play. They brought in Okie St grad transfer Darrion Daniels at NT and bring back all their top DL guys. The DL is deeper which will allow for more substitution and fresher bodies. Last season Neb's top DL unit played more snap than almost all other B1G DL. They are a legit 2 deep at each position, which they were not last season.

So while depth is still a concern at LB I think overall you'll see a more athletic unit that has a MUCH better understanding of the scheme allowing them to play faster and create more turnovers which is a hallmark of this staffs defenses. The seniors they lost, with the exception of Gifford, were not impact players.

Last edited:
Nebraska does not have a great defense and they are NOT a legitimate contender for the West Division Title.

You started off okay, Then you said the bolded, and proceeded to diarrhea down your leg the rest of the post after that. Not easy to do.

Reactions: GBRnTX

I think 10 wins would require a lot to go right, but 8-9 is reasonable given the schedule and of course Martinez HAS to stay relatively healthy. Martinez was not fully health basically all of last season. Dirty CU LB twisting his leg in game 1 :mad:. Neb is in a better position than last year if Martinez goes down for a game or two, but he is the leader of the team and makes the offense as dangerous as it will be.

If Martinez was out for all of most of the season...6-6...making a bowl game. I still think there's enough there to win the games they should win (Ill, Indiana, Maryland, non-con games).

I'd imagine if Stanley was lost for most/all of the season Iowa would be hurting also.

Last edited:
Correct, Neb tries to outscore the other team to win using a prolific offense. What you left out regarding Chinander and his UCF defenses is they were either #1 or #2 in turnovers created in 2017. UCF made a huge leap from 2016 to 2017 in turnovers created. It was a big part of UCF's 13-0 season.

Yes, the defense gives up big plays. It's designed to create turnovers to get the ball back to the offense as much as possible. That started to happen more in the 2nd half of Neb 2018 season. It's why Neb was in it against OSU on the road. I think you'll see a little improvement in PPG giving up but many more turnovers created, and Neb will score more PPG. A 38-28 win is just as good as a 30-20 win.

Nebraska might want to rehire Bo Pelini
Based on your success barometer, maybe Iowa should hire Pelini. No Iowa coach has had a 9+ win run like he did. Of course, I think that would be ridiculous, but using your formula for success Pelini >Ferentz.

Let’s let the season play out. One of us will look foolish on our program evaluation. Time will tell...

Chin is being looked at on the defensive side of the ball, but for the love of all things will the teams that run offenses like Iowa and Wisconsin look at the pace of play of our offenses and teams who run them similar?? You can't stricly look at black and white stats for defense and be like YUP, we have a better defense. Opposing teams have more opportunities to score and accumulate stats when you run no huddle offenses. He took over a crap roster on defense and I think we will be improved upfront which was a weakness for the past 5 years. Gotta give the guy some time with his own guys to see if he is capable of being a good DC.

Based on your success barometer, maybe Iowa should hire Pelini. No Iowa coach has had a 9+ win run like he did. Of course, I think that would be ridiculous, but using your formula for success Pelini >Ferentz.

Let’s let the season play out. One of us will look foolish on our program evaluation. Time will tell...

Pelini has struggled a little bit at Youngstown State which proves he was just a good fit at Nebraska.
Pelini was able to take a 5-7 (2007) Nebraska team and in his first year turn them into a 9-4 (2008) team.
the following 2 seasons he won back to back division titles.

Scott Frost took a 4-8 (2017) team and made them a 4-8 (2018) team.
maybe he improves... maybe it gets worse.

Kirk Ferentz won 12 games in 2015 and averages 9.25 wins per year over the course of the last 4 seasons... you don't replace him.

all the hopes and dreams of grandeur for Nebraska fans are riding on a sophomore quarterback... think about that.

maybe Scott Frost gets better in time... he'll have his opportunity... but to crown a 4-8 team as the next Big Ten West Division champion is quite premature.

Reactions: Hock-I
True, but we have way more depth on the line this year and get a few back from injury. The secondary is back, and the safeties who are starting this year probably could have made a case to start last year as I think they are more athletic. I'm not saying Nebraska is going to have an Iowaesque D, but they won't be as bad as the last few years.
I just did quick research from the Iowa game stats but who is back from the secondary? I see Antonio Reed, Tre Neal, Aaron Wiliams, were the top 3 DB tacklers against Iowa and they are gone.

I just did quick research from the Iowa game stats but who is back from the secondary? I see Antonio Reed, Tre Neal, Aaron Wiliams, were the top 3 DB tacklers against Iowa and they are gone.

Yep you are correct, but Reed was a liability, Tre Neal had great leadership but was not near as athletic as our other safeties and the same with WIlliams. He was serviceable, but was always hurt and not near the athlete the other two are, but yes you are correct. There is something to say about having some starting experience and the secondary does lack that, but at least a lot of them got to play last year.

Nebraska's biggest question to answer though is the D-Line. Like I said, lots of depth and hype, but it is just that. Hype. Need to show they can hang on the field, but I do feel a lot better in the trenches this year. It's not filthy but it is serviceable.

Pelini has struggled a little bit at Youngstown State which proves he was just a good fit at Nebraska.
Pelini was able to take a 5-7 (2007) Nebraska team and in his first year turn them into a 9-4 (2008) team.
the following 2 seasons he won back to back division titles.

Scott Frost took a 4-8 (2017) team and made them a 4-8 (2018) team.
maybe he improves... maybe it gets worse.

Kirk Ferentz won 12 games in 2015 and averages 9.25 wins per year over the course of the last 4 seasons... you don't replace him.

all the hopes and dreams of grandeur for Nebraska fans are riding on a sophomore quarterback... think about that.

maybe Scott Frost gets better in time... he'll have his opportunity... but to crown a 4-8 team as the next Big Ten West Division champion is quite premature.
What you're missing is that the team Pelini took over was FLUSH with talent. Look at the guys that went on to have NFL careers, most of them on the defensive side of the ball, including arguably the most dominant defensive tackle in college football history. (note that I stated "arguably", which means I'm not saying he is definitively the most dominant, but he's in the conversation. I know some will try to skew the point of the message). Pelini walked into a defense that was full of opportunity to be great. And he made them great. He didn't have to recruit, he just had to coach defense. That's his strong suit, and he didn't it well. His defense is designed to shut down prolific passing offenses, and he did that. It's not designed to shut down a power run game where offenses commit to the run. Once Wisconsin exposed his unwillingness to come out of his man coverage with two-high shell to compensate for the pulling action, others picked up on it very quickly. Anyway, he also got exposed when he didn't have elite talent on the field, which is a recruiting failure on his part.

You tried to compare the situation Pelini walked into with the situation Frost walked into, but you couldn't be further off. Frost's walked into a, unstable, poisonous culture that also lacked quite a bit of talent. Pelini was playing with a house of cards, talent-wise, at the end of his run, and when you couple that with the three-year schematic switch on both sides of the ball to what Riley was running, and you get a disaster: low level of talent on the roster + turnover/confusion due to scheme change + new talent that doesn't get coached well + more turnover of the Riley-recruited talent when Frost comes in and changes culture and scheme again = losing a lot of games

Callahan did a really good job recruiting talent, and his demise was almost entirely due to his loyalty toward Kevin Cosgrove as the defensive coordinator. He refused to try find a good DC to run the defense.

Anyway, in terms of the jobs Frost and Pelini walked into, you're comparing apples to giraffes, but you're presenting it like it's apples to apples. Pelini coached 14 future draft picks on the 2009 team, and that # does not include 3 other players (2 OL and a LB) who were signed to free agent contracts and were still playing and starting on NFL rosters through last year.

Last edited:
Nebraska lost all of its safeties. It keeps its two cover corners and its nickelback, who was a true freshman last year. I think the safety play it will get this year, in year two of the program and system, will be quite a bit improved from what Frost got from its trio at Safety last year.

I appreciate his analysis, but I disagree with ZJS in that I think linebacker is Nebraska's biggest question mark. It's just so thin from a depth standpoint. I think the DL will be solid, although I don't see many guys capable of demanding a double team on every snap like Epenesa does. I just don't see DL as big of an issue this year as the potentially scary situation we could have at linebacker if one or two guys go down.

Edit: Nebraska returns one safety from it's two deep, but it's the guy who graded out the highest, especially through the end of the year - Deontai Williams. I think there are pretty high expectations on him. The other guy who played quite a bit was a sophomore last year, and from the sounds of it he's in position to start opposite Williams - Marquel Dismuke. Other than that, Nebraska had 5 underclassmen making up the 2-deep at cornerback and will start a two-year and a three-year started at those spots. I'm more comfortable than I've been in a long time with what the secondary will look like, given the way the three returners with significant playing time came on strong toward the end of the year.

Nebraska lost all of its safeties. It keeps its two cover corners and its nickelback, who was a true freshman last year. I think the safety play it will get this year, in year two of the program and system, will be quite a bit improved from what Frost got from its trio at Safety last year.

I appreciate his analysis, but I disagree with ZJS in that I think linebacker is Nebraska's biggest question mark. It's just so thin from a depth standpoint. I think the DL will be solid, although I don't see many guys capable of demanding a double team on every snap like Epenesa does. I just don't see DL as big of an issue this year as the potentially scary situation we could have at linebacker if one or two guys go down.

Edit: Nebraska returns one safety from it's two deep, but it's the guy who graded out the highest, especially through the end of the year - Deontai Williams. I think there are pretty high expectations on him. The other guy who played quite a bit was a sophomore last year, and from the sounds of it he's in position to start opposite Williams - Marquel Dismuke. Other than that, Nebraska had 5 underclassmen making up the 2-deep at cornerback and will start a two-year and a three-year started at those spots. I'm more comfortable than I've been in a long time with what the secondary will look like, given the way the three returners with significant playing time came on strong toward the end of the year.
Yep you are correct, but Reed was a liability, Tre Neal had great leadership but was not near as athletic as our other safeties and the same with WIlliams. He was serviceable, but was always hurt and not near the athlete the other two are, but yes you are correct. There is something to say about having some starting experience and the secondary does lack that, but at least a lot of them got to play last year.

Nebraska's biggest question to answer though is the D-Line. Like I said, lots of depth and hype, but it is just that. Hype. Need to show they can hang on the field, but I do feel a lot better in the trenches this year. It's not filthy but it is serviceable.
I’m no guru on a 3-4 defense but I’m guessing DL depth doesn’t mean much if the LB’s are weak. Berry is a stud but what is after that? Two guys from last year are on NFL rosters. Honas being healthy will help. Is there much experience outside those two?

I’m no guru on a 3-4 defense but I’m guessing DL depth doesn’t mean much if the LB’s are weak. Berry is a stud but what is after that? Two guys from last year are on NFL rosters. Honas being healthy will help. Is there much experience outside those two?

Colin Miller could be a stud, but seems to get lost sometimes. Ferguson could be serviceable if he stays healthy. There are some Freshman that are studs, but they are Freshman so you never know how that is going to go.,

Have studied the 3-4 scheme a bit. The thing is, if you want to be successful in the 3-4, you MUST have a space eating NT and two DE's who are basically athletic DTs. NT plays at +330 lbs, DEs in the 300lb range. The principle of needing to be strong up front still applies - it's like the core strength of your body: if you aren't strong in your core, all of your important power and olympic lifts like squat, snatch, overhead press, clean, etc will suffer. The same is true in football - OL and DL strength or weakness can have a huge trickle down impact on the 2nd and 3rd levels. I don't care how good your backers are, if they are having the fight through the traffic, chip blocks, and garbage mucking up their reads and flows, they start to look very average in a hurry. Regardless of whether its three or four up front, if they can demand attention and force OLs to stay on those blocks longer, it frees the LBs to see what's in front of them and get to where they need to be to make plays. The big advantage of the 3-4 is that it frees you to cover an offense that forces you to cover sideline to sideline.

The 3-4 defense requires a very specific type of player at NT and OLB especially, and I don't think Nebraska had a single upperclassman who fit their needs last year.

I think there was a lot of excitement about Ferguson last year, as he came on strong at the end of the year but had trouble staying healthy. I think if he stays healthy, he probably has a really good year. I'm most excited about seeing how he has come along. I'm sure you've noticed this with Hawks players at LB, but the older they get the "faster" they seem to play, mainly due to repetitions in the film room and on the field allowing for them to react to what is happening in front of them rather than processing/thinking.

Honas is a bit of an unknown, IMO. He was swimming in it, mentally, last year, and the light bulb was just starting to flicker before he was injured. I guess, if there is a silver lining, he got about as much playing time as a guy can get and still was able to redshirt. But a lot of times it takes a player two years to get back to the point where they were able to move like they did prior to tearing a knee ligament. We will see.

Jojo Domann did some nice things at OLB last year. He started the year at safety. We could use about 7 guys like him - he is just a good football player and he loves contact. Iowa has a few guys like that - they just are good at playing the game, measureables be damned. He's a tweener right now. He's a little small to play OLB strictly vs Iowa and Wisconsin run games in the 3-4 (6'1" 225), but he's too big and probably not quick enough to play a true safety. But he probably is one of the best natural football players on the defense, so they'll find a way to use him on the weak side or off the edge and in coverage packages at OLB.

After those 4, you're looking at one senior who is below average (Alex Davis) Collin Miller, whom everyone is waiting on him to play more consistently, and then some freshmen who will probably fill the 2 deep (Joe Johnson, Jackson Hannah, Nick Henrich) The first 4 should be solid, really, but it gets dicey in a hurry after that.

Have studied the 3-4 scheme a bit. The thing is, if you want to be successful in the 3-4, you MUST have a space eating NT and two DE's who are basically athletic DTs. NT plays at +330 lbs, DEs in the 300lb range. The principle of needing to be strong up front still applies - it's like the core strength of your body: if you aren't strong in your core, all of your important power and olympic lifts like squat, snatch, overhead press, clean, etc will suffer. The same is true in football - OL and DL strength or weakness can have a huge trickle down impact on the 2nd and 3rd levels. I don't care how good your backers are, if they are having the fight through the traffic, chip blocks, and garbage mucking up their reads and flows, they start to look very average in a hurry. Regardless of whether its three or four up front, if they can demand attention and force OLs to stay on those blocks longer, it frees the LBs to see what's in front of them and get to where they need to be to make plays. The big advantage of the 3-4 is that it frees you to cover an offense that forces you to cover sideline to sideline.

The 3-4 defense requires a very specific type of player at NT and OLB especially, and I don't think Nebraska had a single upperclassman who fit their needs last year.

I think there was a lot of excitement about Ferguson last year, as he came on strong at the end of the year but had trouble staying healthy. I think if he stays healthy, he probably has a really good year. I'm most excited about seeing how he has come along. I'm sure you've noticed this with Hawks players at LB, but the older they get the "faster" they seem to play, mainly due to repetitions in the film room and on the field allowing for them to react to what is happening in front of them rather than processing/thinking.

Honas is a bit of an unknown, IMO. He was swimming in it, mentally, last year, and the light bulb was just starting to flicker before he was injured. I guess, if there is a silver lining, he got about as much playing time as a guy can get and still was able to redshirt. But a lot of times it takes a player two years to get back to the point where they were able to move like they did prior to tearing a knee ligament. We will see.

Jojo Domann did some nice things at OLB last year. He started the year at safety. We could use about 7 guys like him - he is just a good football player and he loves contact. Iowa has a few guys like that - they just are good at playing the game, measureables be damned. He's a tweener right now. He's a little small to play OLB strictly vs Iowa and Wisconsin run games in the 3-4 (6'1" 225), but he's too big and probably not quick enough to play a true safety. But he probably is one of the best natural football players on the defense, so they'll find a way to use him on the weak side or off the edge and in coverage packages at OLB.

After those 4, you're looking at one senior who is below average (Alex Davis) Collin Miller, whom everyone is waiting on him to play more consistently, and then some freshmen who will probably fill the 2 deep (Joe Johnson, Jackson Hannah, Nick Henrich) The first 4 should be solid, really, but it gets dicey in a hurry after that.
Thanks for the rundown. A TON of question marks and unknowns. Daniels is a big question mark in the middle with only two career sacks and 9.5 tackles for loss in 3.5 seasons. Granted I don’t know much about Okie State’s defense.

It’s definitely gonna have to be proven to most people that someone who hasn’t produced a good defense can do that with all the unknowns. But hey, it’s the time of year when every fan is excited about the season so I don’t blame Husker fans for feeding into the hype.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
They probably gained by subtraction. They had one good LB. That was it
Two were good enough to make FA signings in the NFL. Frost has to prove he can field a good defensive squad before I’ll be too worried that he is the next Saban, like Brando called him.

Thanks for the rundown. A TON of question marks and unknowns. Daniels is a big question mark in the middle with only two career sacks and 9.5 tackles for loss in 3.5 seasons. Granted I don’t know much about Okie State’s defense.

It’s definitely gonna have to be proven to most people that someone who hasn’t produced a good defense can do that with all the unknowns. But hey, it’s the time of year when every fan is excited about the season so I don’t blame Husker fans for feeding into the hype.
Agreed. Lots of question marks. Being able to scrimmage “tough” yet get through fall camp healthy will be vital. The roster is just too shallow right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT