ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Kaine's son arrested for disrupting a pro-Trump rally

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
ST. PAUL, Minn. -- U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine's youngest son was among eight people charged for allegedly disrupting a March rally in support of President Trump.

Linwood "Woody" Kaine, of Minneapolis, was charged Friday with one gross misdemeanor count of obstructing the legal process and misdemeanor counts of fleeing on foot and concealing his identity in public. His father was Hillary Clinton's running mate in the 2016 election.

Seven other people were also charged, including two with felonies.

Ramsey County Attorney John Choi said the permitted rally on March 4th in support of Mr. Trump was interrupted by some protesters who came to cause trouble, CBS Minnesota reports. A criminal complaint says Kaine and others changed into black clothing during the rally and entered the Capitol. One group member threw a smoke bomb inside.

linwood-michael-kaine.jpg

"This unlawful group attempted to enter the rally from the second floor staircase by pushing, shoving and eventually employing smoke bombs, Mace, fireworks, thereby creating a dangerous situation," Choi said.

Choi said some 400 people were at the rally and the chaotic and crowded scene is part of the reason it took months to gather enough evidence to bring forth charges against some individuals.

"There were multiple people who witnessed what happened and many of the perpetrators concealed their identities," Choi said.

The complaint says the 24-year-old Kaine was among those who ran away, and he initially resisted arrest.

Kaine doesn't have a listed number and it's not immediately clear if he has an attorney.

Kaine is not the first son of a national politician to be arrested at a protest. Former President Carter's daughter Amy was arrested several times when she was a teenager for participating in protests.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/linwood...ged-for-allegedly-disrupting-pro-trump-rally/

Throwing smoke bombs, mace and fireworks, and pushing and shoving people is an example of conducting a peaceful protest?

Lets see.
Pence's kid is a marine pilot and kaines kid is a piece of trash.
So proud.
Not saying I specifically support young Mr. Kaine's specific behavior.

That's good for Pence's kid. Being raised in the Pence household I am willing to bet will bear out some sort of weirdness (if it hasn't already) for Pence junior.

My point is that I like that we can protest stuff, and protest protests. We should be concerned by all of the efforts, almost all from the Right, aimed at shutting this fundamental free speech down.

We should also be concerned that protesters, even the most peaceful, are being monitored and identified through social media tracking strategies, retinal identification, all kinds of stuff. Law and order is fast becoming something I think most Americans will take issue with the moment the "wrong side" has control of it.

Very 1984ish.

Reactions: strummingram
Protesting is often justified. Some protest behaviors are stupid and unnecessarily dangerous given the circumstances surrounding the protest.

There is middle ground, brah.

You can march around in the public square and wave signs, shout slogans and sing songs all you want. But when you start trespassing and assaulting people, you've crossed the line, "brah."

Reactions: Madman_1
Protesting is often justified. Some protest behaviors are stupid and unnecessarily dangerous given the circumstances surrounding the protest.

Of course protests are sometimes justified. Smoke bombs in the capitol are not. Brah.

Reactions: Madman_1
ST. PAUL, Minn. -- U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine's youngest son was among eight people charged for allegedly disrupting a March rally in support of President Trump.

Linwood "Woody" Kaine, of Minneapolis, was charged Friday with one gross misdemeanor count of obstructing the legal process and misdemeanor counts of fleeing on foot and concealing his identity in public. His father was Hillary Clinton's running mate in the 2016 election.

Seven other people were also charged, including two with felonies.

Ramsey County Attorney John Choi said the permitted rally on March 4th in support of Mr. Trump was interrupted by some protesters who came to cause trouble, CBS Minnesota reports. A criminal complaint says Kaine and others changed into black clothing during the rally and entered the Capitol. One group member threw a smoke bomb inside.

linwood-michael-kaine.jpg

"This unlawful group attempted to enter the rally from the second floor staircase by pushing, shoving and eventually employing smoke bombs, Mace, fireworks, thereby creating a dangerous situation," Choi said.

Choi said some 400 people were at the rally and the chaotic and crowded scene is part of the reason it took months to gather enough evidence to bring forth charges against some individuals.

"There were multiple people who witnessed what happened and many of the perpetrators concealed their identities," Choi said.

The complaint says the 24-year-old Kaine was among those who ran away, and he initially resisted arrest.

Kaine doesn't have a listed number and it's not immediately clear if he has an attorney.

Kaine is not the first son of a national politician to be arrested at a protest. Former President Carter's daughter Amy was arrested several times when she was a teenager for participating in protests.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/linwood...ged-for-allegedly-disrupting-pro-trump-rally/

Atta boy!

Those in attendance at the rally should be aware of the troubles in store for them by Trump and to let go of the hopes Trump promised them while campaigning.

Agreed. Did you read my post, or just assume I made a general, blanket defense of all protest behaviors?

Brizzah.
Yes - I read your post. You responded to my post referring to the illegal behavior of the protesters. My response in no way said protests were wrong or not justified - so you making that argument was completely unnecessary and didn't follow. You added a logical fallacy to the conversation - a red herring. It was never my argument that protests are never justified - only violence associated with them like we've seen so often with left-wing protesters. Brah.

Last edited:

"brah"?

I thought pretty much everyone stopped using it, especially after the Rob Lowe commercial rightfully making fun of such persons.

"brah"?

I thought pretty much everyone stopped using it, especially after the Rob Lowe commercial rightfully making fun of such persons.
Was using it sarcastically. I felt the stupidity of the discussion in regards to my specific posts warranted its use.

Not saying I specifically support young Mr. Kaine's specific behavior.

That's good for Pence's kid. Being raised in the Pence household I am willing to bet will bear out some sort of weirdness (if it hasn't already) for Pence junior.

My point is that I like that we can protest stuff, and protest protests. We should be concerned by all of the efforts, almost all from the Right, aimed at shutting this fundamental free speech down.

We should also be concerned that protesters, even the most peaceful, are being monitored and identified through social media tracking strategies, retinal identification, all kinds of stuff. Law and order is fast becoming something I think most Americans will take issue with the moment the "wrong side" has control of it.

Very 1984ish.
Actually the main affront to free speech in this day and age is the liberal thugocracy at our universities. i.e. promoting safe spaces and a shouting down and intimidating any speaker they deem wrong.

95% sure youre wrong about that unless they sent him there for a day or two so he wouldnt fall asleep at his desk in germany.

Actually the main affront to free speech in this day and age is the liberal thugocracy at our universities. i.e. promoting safe spaces and a shouting down and intimidating any speaker they deem wrong.
I would't call this the main affront, but yes, an affront, and not a smart move—especially coming from the Left.

Not surprised by your answer.

When Al Franken body slammed a man heckling Howard Dean he was elected soon after with no complaints by the left and no one screaming he be charged with anything. That wasn't surprising either.

I'm willing to wager that Trump kin are going to be charged with worse.

FWIW, I think being charged for non-violent protest behaviors is generally not a bad thing. Often those that protest find themselves on the right side of history.

I would argue that people who have "protested" while concealing their identities have, generally, not been on the right side of history.

Reactions: YellowSnow51
When Al Franken body slammed a man heckling Howard Dean he was elected soon after with no complaints by the left and no one screaming he be charged with anything. That wasn't surprising either.
I'd never heard of this Franken thing. From this CNN article it doesn't sound bad:

Franken, a comedian and self-described liberal well-known for his attacks on the Bush administration and conservative-leaning media, helped carry out one of the disrupters. In the process, Franken's glasses were knocked off his face and broke in two.

Putting them back together with electrical tape, he quipped he had been "deputized" by Dean's security.

But this NY Post article sounds worse:

Wise-cracking funnyman Al Franken yesterday body-slammed a demonstrator to the ground after the man tried to shout down Gov. Howard Dean.

The tussle left Franken’s trademark thick-rim glasses broken, but he said he was not injured.

Franken – who seemed in a state of shock and out of breath after the incident – was helped back to his feet by several people who watched the tussle. Police arrived soon after.

“I got down low and took his legs out,” said Franken afterwards.

I'd note this was 4 years before Franken was elected.

I'd never heard of this Franken thing. From this CNN article it doesn't sound bad:

Franken, a comedian and self-described liberal well-known for his attacks on the Bush administration and conservative-leaning media, helped carry out one of the disrupters. In the process, Franken's glasses were knocked off his face and broke in two.

Putting them back together with electrical tape, he quipped he had been "deputized" by Dean's security.

But this NY Post article sounds worse:

Wise-cracking funnyman Al Franken yesterday body-slammed a demonstrator to the ground after the man tried to shout down Gov. Howard Dean.

The tussle left Franken’s trademark thick-rim glasses broken, but he said he was not injured.

Franken – who seemed in a state of shock and out of breath after the incident – was helped back to his feet by several people who watched the tussle. Police arrived soon after.

“I got down low and took his legs out,” said Franken afterwards.

I'd note this was 4 years before Franken was elected.
I hadn't heard of the story, either, but Franken says the New York Post version never happened. There are no confirmations of the NY Post version, either. This thing looks debunked.

I'm willing to wager that Trump kin are going to be charged with worse.

FWIW, I think being charged for non-violent protest behaviors is generally not a bad thing. Often those that protest find themselves on the right side of history.

Did you miss this part:

"This unlawful group attempted to enter the rally from the second floor staircase by pushing, shoving and eventually employing smoke bombs, Mace, fireworks, thereby creating a dangerous situation," ?

I hadn't heard of the story, either, but Franken says the New York Post version never happened. There are no confirmations of the NY Post version, either. This thing looks debunked.

Lol...this is unbelievable.

So, an article that came out THE DAY AFTER THE INCIDENT where Franken is quoted several times, saying he took a guy's legs out and talked about being a wrestler and actually mentioned that he broke his glasses in front of numerous witnesses, including the police, is somehow "debunked" because you want it to be. Even though Franken never sued and won a slam dunk suit for defamation and libel after being misquoted and lied about the DAY AFTER the event. He just decided to let the Post slide on that one and the article is now debunked ...because hey...it's easier if only GOPers assault people. Good grief.

http://nypost.com/2004/01/27/al-franken-knocks-down-dean-heckler/

EXETER, N.H. – Wise-cracking funnyman Al Franken yesterday body-slammed a demonstrator to the ground after the man tried to shout down Gov. Howard Dean.

I got down low and took his legs out,” said Franken afterwards.

Franken said he’s not backing Dean but merely wanted to protect the right of people to speak freely. “I would have done it if he was a Dean supporter at a Kerry rally,” he said.

“I’m neutral in this race but I’m for freedom of speech, which means people should be able to assemble and speak without being shouted down.”

The trouble started when several supporters of fringe presidential candidate Lyndon Larouche began shouting accusations at Dean.

Franken emerged from the crowd and charged one male protester, grabbing him with a bear hug from behind and slamming him onto the floor.

“I was a wrestler so I used a wrestling move,” Franken said.

Lol...this is unbelievable.

So, an article that came out THE DAY AFTER THE INCIDENT where Franken is quoted several times, saying he took a guy's legs out and talked about being a wrestler and actually mentioned that he broke his glasses in front of numerous witnesses, including the police, is somehow "debunked" because you want it to be. Even though Franken never sued and won a slam dunk suit for defamation and libel after being misquoted and lied about the DAY AFTER the event. He just decided to let the Post slide on that one and the article is now debunked ...because hey...it's easier if only GOPers assault people. Good grief.

http://nypost.com/2004/01/27/al-franken-knocks-down-dean-heckler/

EXETER, N.H. – Wise-cracking funnyman Al Franken yesterday body-slammed a demonstrator to the ground after the man tried to shout down Gov. Howard Dean.

I got down low and took his legs out,” said Franken afterwards.

Franken said he’s not backing Dean but merely wanted to protect the right of people to speak freely. “I would have done it if he was a Dean supporter at a Kerry rally,” he said.

“I’m neutral in this race but I’m for freedom of speech, which means people should be able to assemble and speak without being shouted down.”

The trouble started when several supporters of fringe presidential candidate Lyndon Larouche began shouting accusations at Dean.

Franken emerged from the crowd and charged one male protester, grabbing him with a bear hug from behind and slamming him onto the floor.

“I was a wrestler so I used a wrestling move,” Franken said.
Why do you keep quoting the Post on this? If this was legit don't you think other outlets would have carried it beyond reference to the Post?

Seriously. Google it. All the articles are based on the NY Post account. If this actually happened why was the Post the only one with the inside scoop? It's bunk, dude. You just keep falling for it.

Throwing smoke bombs, mace and fireworks, and pushing and shoving people is an example of conducting a peaceful protest?

It's the same logic they used when they said we weren't really at war when Obama was dropping bombs all over the ME because, "there were no boots on the ground." Reality is lost to a lot of people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT