ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a Vocabulary Lesson, Boyz……..Complimentary or Complementary????

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
This homophone has been misused here a lot in the past couple of weeks so I’m gonna set you all straight!
A “homophone” is a word that sounds the same but has different meanings………
The word “complimentary” has been used here frequently describing Iowa’s Football team/coaching philosophy, but:

“Complimentary“ means to express praise or admiration….it can also be used in reference to items or services provided as a courtesy.
“Complementary” means combining in such a way as to enhance or emphasize the qualities of each other or another.

When describing how a football team functions together COMPLEMENTARY would be the more correct word to use. The offense, the defense and special teams work together to provide a desired outcome. Like say being 7-2……
When describing how good Iowa’s special teams are, or how stout its defense has been to date, you are paying the team a compliment.
Complement describes a perfect partnership……Compliment expresses appreciation or praise.
That is your vocabulary lesson for the day. You are welcome!

Neither word applies to the Iowa offense.
Well………How about #10’s 30 yd pass in the last minute of yesterday’s game, that set up the winning field goal?
That pass play (offense) complemented the special teams play (blocked punt) and strong defense throughout the game, allowed Iowa to kick the winning field goal. Now the offense COMPLEMENTED to teams effort……..but that is by no means a COMPLIMENT to the Iowa offense. ;)
See how that works?

This homophone has been misused here a lot in the past couple of weeks so I’m gonna set you all straight!
joel mchale community GIF

😉

The Bible says two men ought not to lay together, but I’ll bet you the good Lord wouldn’t send nobody like you to Hades.
Billy Bob Thornton Edgar GIF

Reactions: blhawk
Well………How about #10’s 30 yd pass in the last minute of yesterday’s game, that set up the winning field goal?
That pass play (offense) complemented the special teams play ……..but that is by no means a COMPLIMENT to the Iowa offense. ;)
But it is a compliment to the QB for finally getting one right and also to the BF/OC for targeting KB for once!
You would agree not?

The word “complimentary” has been used here frequently describing Iowa’s Football team/coaching philosophy, but:

“Complimentary“ means to express praise or admiration….it can also be used in reference to items or services provided as a courtesy.
“Complementary” means combining in such a way as to enhance or emphasize the qualities of each other or another.

When describing how a football team functions together COMPLEMENTARY would be the more correct word to use. The offense, the defense and special teams work together to provide a desired outcome. Like say being 7-2……
When describing how good Iowa’s special teams are, or how stout its defense has been to date, you are paying the team a compliment.
Complement describes a perfect partnership……Compliment expresses appreciation or praise.
I’m very complimentary of how Caitlin Clark plays basketball.

Monica Czinano was a great complementary player to Clark’s skill set.

Iowa's offense is a leech that the rest of the team has to bring along for the ride, not a complement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT