ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Start Over

There's a new sheriff in town. I doubt this AD is going to put up with mediocrity much longer especially with how poor mens attendance has been and will continue. I know most will hate this,but we need to emulate what Wisconsin is doing. They get the same type of athletes we do,but play tough physical grab ass defense. They take care of the ball and execute in the half court. Much more success than us in the last 20 years.
I like pretty much all of your opinions except for the emulate Wisconsin one. I think their style of play (besides being just incredibly boring) has an expiration date. And I think that date has passed. Hence why they haven’t been close to as good as when Bo Ryan was there.

Anymore, you have to have a balanced approach to be successful in college basketball (and football). Any team’s success should be built on defense first, but being deficient in scoring is not going to allow you to be a top 25 team for very long.

For Iowa to have a prayer of emulating Wisconsin’s success in the 2000s and 2010s, the team must be built on defense first AND be at least above average to good on offense.

That requires a balanced roster of athletes, good shooters, and a point guard who is better than average (preferably great). Iowa’s best teams had Ronnie Lester, BJ Armstrong, Andre Woolridge, Dean Oliver, and Jeff Horner. Can’t win consistently without a point guard. That hasn’t changed.

There's a new sheriff in town. I doubt this AD is going to put up with mediocrity much longer especially with how poor mens attendance has been and will continue. I know most will hate this,but we need to emulate what Wisconsin is doing. They get the same type of athletes we do,but play tough physical grab ass defense. They take care of the ball and execute in the half court. Much more success than us in the last 20 years.
You mean punch you in the balls defense.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
I'm just so relieved that Iowa doesn't have a gelding for an AD anymore. I don't know what FM's future holds, but I am supremely confident that he won't be getting any $15M+ extensions for maintaining the status quo. I think BG will be having a come-to-Jesus talk with him in the near future regarding his postseason record.

Fran comes out and says next year will be his last.

Sandfort
Dix
Perkins
Freeman
Harding
Dembele
Koch
Tradjo

Lead the Hawks to the sweet 16 and Iowa hires the next hot young mid major coach.
I hear the guy at Nevada is doing well. I keed, I keed.

Fran's done a lot for the program, but hasn't done what I'd hoped. We've known what we've had for several years and keep treading water. I'd be on board with a change if we weren't shackled to him.

• Haha
Reactions: LukaDuka
I am ready for a change. Fran should be thanked for rebuilding the program, as we are now back to the late 90's in quality of teams. He has had long enough to take it beyond that point and hasn't. He has had more talent than Davis but has done less with it, at least IMO. I believe Davis got more out of his teams and was equally appreciated by his players. Fran is who he is, good eye for 2-3* talent but below average at playing the best talent on the roster. He gives too many minutes to his kids and upper classman over talent. Keegan should have been a 30 min guy from the start. While offensively he was not consistent as a Freshman he could rebound and be in position to score at a higher level than others. Kris also should have gotten more minutes than Patrick. It is time for a change and I haven't felt this way of wanting it so badly since Lickliter.

Get DeVries. Tucker probably joins him and you have a starting lineup of Harding, Dix, DeVries, Sandfort and Freeman. Get a couple of players that can create and play defense out of the portal. As a team actually play some defense and look to get an offsive rebound once in a while!

Anyway, I hope change is coming soon.

I'm 52, Iowa grad and lifelong Iowa fan, and I don't think there's ever been a time in my life/fandom when all of the major Iowa men's programs.... football, basketball, wrestling.... have been this limp, this mediocre, this void of life, this unable to compete vs. the top level.

Truly pathetic. We need a complete reset on the men's side.
I first read this as you had graduated U of Iowa in 52... I was calculating how old you must be.. 95 years old chiming in on this thread, very impressive.... oh, wait... you're 52 years old.. lol.

Fran comes out and says next year will be his last.

Sandfort
Dix
Perkins
Freeman
Harding
Dembele
Koch
Tradjo

Lead the Hawks to the sweet 16 and Iowa hires the next hot young mid major coach.
You're forgetting the great practice player.... MULVEY! lol

I'm giving Fran 2 more years to see what the underclassmen and new recruits produce. If by then we have status que, then pull the plug and allow Fran to watch Jack play at Ohio St or Butler or wherever....
I have stated many times I like Riley Mulvey and see a future at Iowa and have been chastised for stating my opinion. Fran decided to redshirt him this year when his height, length, rebounding ability, screening, and scoring could have helped us and I don't care how bad some on here thinks he might be.
Fran better use him a lot if not start him along side Freemen next year. If Riley doesn't pan out, then that's on Fran for keeping him around for 4 years, but it's time for Fran to show us he wasn't a waste of a scholarship that most on here have harped on. Iowa doesn't have the NIL money to go out and get a player that will help Iowa on the front line or have the experience of playing in Iowa's system to help us next year. Riley Mulvey is it. I except that, it's time to put up or shut up!
You have a signed Riley Mulvey jock strap framed on your bedroom wall don't you.... love busting your balls...

I'm 52, Iowa grad and lifelong Iowa fan, and I don't think there's ever been a time in my life/fandom when all of the major Iowa men's programs.... football, basketball, wrestling.... have been this limp, this mediocre, this void of life, this unable to compete vs. the top level.

Wrong about football.

Personally I don’t even care about wrestling but I do understand many do.

Men’s hoops needs new life. McCaffery family needs to go away. They needed to go away 5 years ago in my view. He had 4 NBA players on the same team and sat two so his kids could play though.

I agree with the reboot. Get somebody younger, hopefully w/ NBA experience, someone who can recruit out of state.
I just want someone who can recruit some real ATHLETES that look the part of a Big Ten program, and emphasizes defense. Forget Wisconsin as our comp. How about that school in Ames? If they can do it, so can Iowa. Same in-state recruiting disadvantages as Iowa has, yet it doesn't seem to stop them from putting an athletic team on the floor.

Was going to start a new thread for this, but it is directly related to this topic...

Rob Howe still carrying water for Fran, and while his point about an updated arena is definitely valid, there is really nothing an arena upgrade and making fans happier will do about changing the product on the floor. It's about the HC and his staff making critical adjustments and being more successful in recruiting/portal transfers.

Hawkeye Hoops Needs More Help​

It's Not the Coach, It's the Level of Commitment to Program

The vibe around the program feels a lot like it did back then. There's apathy affecting attendance numbers. When that happens, the first finger is pointed at the head coach.

That happened Thursday night on social media. An unquantifiable portion of the fan base called for Fran McCaffery's removal. Some of the posse didn't know any better, blaming one person and missing history.

The sentiment led to Dr. Tom Davis' dismissal back in '98. It was said change was needed to take the program to "the next level."

Essentially, current disgruntled Hawkeye followers are repeating the refrain from '98. Consistently good is nice, but it's not enough.

Maybe a coaching change would bring satisfaction. We don't know. We do know the odds of it happening aren't great.

The person replacing McCaffery will be facing similar obstacles to what he and Davis encountered. Iowa basketball lacks support from its athletic department and fan base when compared to the competition.

Labeling Carver-Hawkeye Arena as dated is being kind. Little has changed for the average fan experience since Davis walked the sideline.

For many folks, it's a hike to the bathrooms and concessions with long lines upon arrival. Accessibility is challenging with only one public elevator. The call for moving the student section stretches back to the '90s, at least.

He's seriously making the case that the MBB (and by extension WBB) just can't compete with the competition because CHA simply isn't enough of a comfy mecca and therefore players don't feel supported and recruits aren't impressed enough to commit to Fran. He also goes into NIL contributions lagging and how Fran's tenure favors comparably with Ferentz.

:rolleyes:

I hear the guy at Nevada is doing well. I keed, I keed.

Fran's done a lot for the program, but hasn't done what I'd hoped. We've known what we've had for several years and keep treading water. I'd be on board with a change if we weren't shackled to him.
I actually had a nightmare this morning where I turned on an Iowa game, and there was Stevie on our sidelines, coaching the team again. Turned out Beth had re-hired Alford as our next head coach. NOOOOOOO!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: ddeanHawk
You're right on that one my apologies, went too far on that one. My son is on the spectrum but it's still no excuse or doesn't give me the "okay" for a comment like that...

I still stand behind Barta having lifeless eyes though
I have a nephew who is very autistic. So, I get a little pissed off when people make light of it. Thanks for being a man and apologizing.

Was going to start a new thread for this, but it is directly related to this topic...

Rob Howe still carrying water for Fran, and while his point about an updated arena is definitely valid, there is really nothing an arena upgrade and making fans happier will do about changing the product on the floor. It's about the HC and his staff making critical adjustments and being more successful in recruiting/portal transfers.

He's seriously making the case that the MBB (and by extension WBB) just can't compete with the competition because CHA simply isn't enough of a comfy mecca and therefore players don't feel supported and recruits aren't impressed enough to commit to Fran. He also goes into NIL contributions lagging and how Fran's tenure favors comparably with Ferentz.

Rob is an idiot.

I have a nephew who is very autistic. So, I get a little pissed off when people make light of it. Thanks for being a man and apologizing.
No problem, I come from a family that makes fun of any and everything but I get not all are like that. To be honest that comment was made about 10 mins before I fell asleep. Still no excuse. I wish your nephew well my man

Reactions: herkhatescy
Lack of athleticism is a problem but so are the coaching concepts. It’s well know that they have less focus on defense in practice than most high school teams let alone major college basketball teams. It shows. He’s not changing. Time to move on.
I have no idea how much time they spend on defense in practice, but I doubt it's less than HS teams. But if you say so I won't disagree.

Many times against OSU the Hawk player was in good defensive position and the OSU player was just too fast, too strong or just better. Step-back 3's, power moves to the hoop, jumping over a Hawk to grab an offensive rebound. I don't think this team is physically capable of defending the athletes on the other side.

Iowa has to be the weakest and least athletic team in the B1G, and I'm not sure it's a close call.

I will say that the individual players for Iowa have talent, but it's all basically the same talent - they can run and shoot. But if you have an entire team like that you better shoot 55% or you're going to get beat in the B1G.

It's long past time for Fran to move on. Still it seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.
All of the hand wringing fear of change falls flat with me. Hopefully having a competent AD in place helps to mitigate that. Give a coach long enough to show what they can do. Dollars up front are better spent than unnecessary extensions that lock the program into a middling coach. With the new world of anytime free agency, locking a coach into very long term deals makes even less sense.

SD makes a great point, why sign any coach to a “longer than recruiting needs” contract? So for example, if Devries came to Iowa go $24 over 6 years. If by year 2 things aren’t looking up, and the fans aren’t buying tickets, does he really need an extension? I assume it’s bad to not have a contract that runs at least 4 years but it’s also an anchor if a coach can’t make things happen. Year 3 would still have 3 more years so extend after that if it’s working, if fans are back to packing Carver? Tell him up front the extension comes at $6-7 per season and that’s motivation enough.

SD makes a great point, why sign any coach to a “longer than recruiting needs” contract? So for example, if Devries came to Iowa go $24 over 6 years. If by year 2 things aren’t looking up, and the fans aren’t buying tickets, does he really need an extension? I assume it’s bad to not have a contract that runs at least 4 years but it’s also an anchor if a coach can’t make things happen. Year 3 would still have 3 more years so extend after that if it’s working, if fans are back to packing Carver? Tell him up front the extension comes at $6-7 per season and that’s motivation enough.
Also, the wild card is now the portal the four-year extension approach is no longer as critical for successful recruiting. Conceptually, you could replace the entire team from the portal as a new coach.

Haven't beaten a team that finished top 25 in 4 full seasons (2019 Minnesota). It was Ohio State in 2017 before that. Kirk is gonna miss the big ten west if the offense doesn't improve considerably
My company would like to thank Fran for a job well done. I now have cancelled my time for today and next Thursday and Friday.

My company would like to thank Fran for a job well done. I now have cancelled my time for today and next Thursday and Friday.
I was thinking something similar to the past few days. The Iowa workforce has a lot to thank Fran for regarding March production.

Football doesn’t need a total overhaul, just a few important moves. They’re close-ish in a sport where the blue bloods have all the power.

Wrestling can’t compete with Cael and the PSU money train right now, but is somewhat close. If not for an illegal investigation by the state killing eligibility for several starters they would have been much closer. We are a blue blood in the sport and only a handful of moves could push us back to the top.

Basketball isn’t even close. Individual good players, mediocre teams.
I have to disagree with you regarding football. Yes, we won ten games but anyone that follows college football knows that it was fools gold. We can't compete even somewhat with the good teams in the country. Hell, we couldn't even get close enough to score a single point. Yet Ferentz it treated like he's amenable to making any real changes to HIS program, while we watch our offense slowly disappear into the '50's.. On the other hand, people are ready to fire McCaffery even though he recently set the record for the most wins at Iowa and has had one losing season since his first here. In fact, his record this season is NOT a losing season , either overall or in the conference and is one win behind Michigan St. and Indiana, both of which still have NCAA aspirations. I agree with a lot of you that McCaffery's performance has fallen short of our expectations, and would welcome attending his retirement party, but if you are expecting Goetz to fire him, given his overall job performance, you are going to be sorely disappointed. And unlike at some universities, both the Ferentzs' and the McCafferys' have been very much a plus when helping the community and the Hospital and have been awarded for their efforts. They are great people and McCaffery, in particular, deserves more respect than has been afforded him by some of the denizens of this board.

Well your a young guy I guess. If you really think this is as bad as the football team has been you certainly missed out on the 60's and 70's. This team is a blueblood compared to that shitstorm.......

Lol. I'd like to see him try to sell that BS to Bluder, that we can't compete. Sure I know, but we have Clark right. Well before she ever came to Iowa we had the NPOTY, and have won the BPOTY year like 5 of the last 6 years.. Have maybe the best class we've ever signed coming in, and 2025 is starting out even better. Looks like we're competing just fine. Funny but Carver has plenty of life when the ladies play. The apathy around the mens program is because we've seen the same thing for most of the last decade. Its like a bad rerun of groundhog day. We know before the season starts. We'll be a middle of the pack B1G team, who can't defend good teams in the tourney, so we'll be done by the first weekend......

And to piggyback onto my own post.. As we know, Lickliter won zero NCAA games. Alford won 1 (Creighton, 2001).

That makes a grand total of 5 NCAA tournament wins in the last quarter of a century since our last Sweet 16. And people wonder why the fan base is apathetic.
I was thinking about this yesterday…my CBB apathy because Iowa is a constant disappointment…other than Edey, I cannot name a single college basketball player who doesn’t play for Iowa. I watch basically zero men’s basketball anymore. Pure apathy.

I was thinking about this yesterday…my CBB apathy because Iowa is a constant disappointment…other than Edey, I cannot name a single college basketball player who doesn’t play for Iowa. I watch basically zero men’s basketball anymore. Pure apathy.
Come to think of it, that's pretty much true for me, also. Buie from NW and that's probably because he has a catchy name.. Edey, and.... Then I struggle to come up with anyone.

I watch very little, also, other than Iowa. I used to be a college hoops junkie. I can still name several players from other Big Ten teams from decades ago. Current? Yeah I've got zilch.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Bronny James?

Reactions: Tom Paris
In my life I have gone from never missing an Iowa men's basketball game to missing a few to only watching a few to watching part of a couple to watching the highlights to not watching at all. Part of that is specifically the Iowa product and part is how uninteresting men's basketball has become. The no defense playground/YMCA pickup game style and lack of enforcement of basic rules like traveling and carrying have led to a bad product.

100% and his constant wanting to play his KIDS over better players is embarrassing! Fran has got to go!!!!
Well, Fran did finally start Josh Dix over Patrick, but it was too late to save the season.

Howe, earlier this season, was hinting that Fran may retire after this season, or next, because of some realistic reasons.

No more sons in the program, a son who will not be at Iowa. He later toned that down I think. But hope he is as accurate as his Lester “prediction”.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Beth needs to drag Fran to the chopping block... this product is stale
Sure. She's going to fire the winningest coach in program history.

I would bet Fran has considerable respect within the coaching fraternity and you would have to wonder what potential hire would consider coming into a situation knowing that Fran was shown the door at this point in his career rather than dictating his own future.

This senior class was inconsistent and the portal players were not B10 quality.
There is potential coming back and potential coming in. See what value can be drawn from the portal this time around.

Next year will be better maybe even good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT