ADVERTISEMENT

Titanic tourist sub goes missing

Well I’m starting to wonder if they died as fast as everyone told us they did. Some of the parts they’re recovering are pretty big and now they’re saying they’ve got human remains.
The “implosion” was instantaneous. Despite what might be believed, the sub wasn’t crushed like a tin can. The body tube was made of a carbon composite - it shattered. They may have known there was a problem but the actual failure would have been over before they could have comprehended it. And the remains are, I’m sure….fragmented.

The “implosion” was instantaneous. Despite what might be believed, the sub wasn’t crushed like a tin can. The body tube was made of a carbon composite - it shattered. They may have known there was a problem but the actual failure would have been over before they could have comprehended it. And the remains are, I’m sure….fragmented.
They’re just assuming they’re human remains at this point so I’m sure it’s not exactly a head

"We worked with aerospace experts at the University of Washington, NASA, and Boeing." That's great! Let's partner with a bunch of people who specialize in working in air and space where we have low pressure.

Yep

Outer space: ~15 psi of inside pressure
Deep Ocean: 6000 psi of outside pressure

In fact, your "carbon fiber" vessel would probably do better in space, because the cylindrical loading, then, would have been in "circumferential tension" rather than "compression", which is what composites are "bad" at....

I keep thinking of Futurama during this news cycle....

9mbognhsqnu21.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT