ADVERTISEMENT

Titanic tourist sub goes missing

it sounds like other submariners think from where the parts of the sub were that rush knew what was happening before it happened and started taking emergency measures to ascend. hopefully he didn’t terrify those poor people before they died.

• Wow
Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
it sounds like other submariners think from where the parts of the sub were that rush knew what was happening before it happened and started taking emergency measures to ascend. hopefully he didn’t terrify those poor people before they died.
Had not seen that, would not be ideal.

Good news, everyone!
339af215fcab41249e2500573e574336_md.jpg

I saw James Cameron mention yesterday that he'd learned the Titan dropped its ballast weights just before the implosion. The only reason they'd have done that would be if they'd realized something was wrong and attempted an emergency ascent. If true, it turns the tragedy into a nightmare. I don't even want to think about being in that tiny tube and hearing or even feeling the carbon hull failing before implosion. Knowing full well what was occurring. :oops:

I saw James Cameron mention yesterday that he'd learned the Titan dropped its ballast weights just before the implosion. The only reason they'd have done that would be if they'd realized something was wrong and attempted an emergency ascent. If true, it turns the tragedy into a nightmare. I don't even want to think about being in that tiny tube and hearing or even feeling the carbon hull failing before implosion. Knowing full well what was occurring. :oops:
Would not surprise me that it'd make some cracking sounds thru that 8" CF shell before imploding. But would not be a lot of time IMO once the failure started.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but this showed up on my YouTube feed. This dude could have ended up dead if the weather was better.

These guys lived.

You call them “ Idiots” “dumbasses”, etc.

“I spend my time on a sports site off topic message board. Boom!”

Look at yourself.
The 19 year-old didn’t get a chance to live his life. He experienced a terrifying last few hours of his life to appease his egomaniac father.

That is the only part of this story that I consider a tragedy; otherwise I think it’s kinda funny, like all the other Darwin Award stories we laugh about. And yes, I’ll bet they all had their own mostly-useless timesucks.

The 19 year-old didn’t get a chance to live his life. He experienced a terrifying last few hours of his life to appease his egomaniac father.

That is the only part of this story that I consider a tragedy; otherwise I think it’s kinda funny, like all the other Darwin Award stories we laugh about. And yes, I’ll bet they all had their own mostly-useless timesucks.
There were no "last few hours" if I had to guess. Im guessing it cracked and imploded almost immediately.

Still baffles me why you would build a deep-sea vessel using composites.

Composites are primarily used in tensile strength applications, where they have higher stiffness and strength than most other materials (metals/alloys).

They are not as good in compressive applications.

Materials such as concrete and ceramics usually have a higher compressive strength, but lower tensile strength. Conversely, composites typically have higher tensile strengths than compressive strengths. Composites loaded in compression may buckle, kink or crush.

As I understand it, the endcaps of that vessel were the titanium, and the cylindrical hull was the composite. Which would put that composite cylinder under immense compressive strain with the endcaps pushing inward along the cylindrical axis.

Maybe there was something I don't understand about their design, and how they expected this to be "overcome" and safe. But it sure isn't how I'd be loading a composite structure... and my civil/structural engineering knowledge is pretty basic, as in a couple semesters or so of work; not a field I have a ton of experience in. I'd think twice before building something like this with composites....

I laughed out loud...and yes, I know I'm going to hell if there is indeed one
I’m still wondering if the solving of the Rubik’s cube was a coping thing or if he decided it would be fun to do. Poor kid either way. The hubris of the rich….

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Years ago when we used to regularly go on dive trips to Roatan, a guy built a little sub & kept it at a hotel/restaurant we used to frequent. It was used for tourists; it goes to a depth as low as 2000 to 2500 feet. It's about the size of a pickup truck. I'm not at all claustrophobic but did not want any part of it.
We'd gotten to be good friends with a couple of the waiters at the restaurant, local island guys who had the heavy Carib island accents. I asked one if he'd been down in the sub. He replied "ELL NO I NOT GETTIN IN DAT DET TROP"

The sub's still there & as far as I know they've never had any issues or problems. Still no way in hell I'm getting in it.

Thanks, but I'll just dive
Apparently your guys in Honduras was an acquaintance of Rush and warned him about his hasty dives.

https://www.insider.com/submersible-expert-oceangate-ceo-hull-defect-will-only-get-worse-2023-6

Reactions: Joes Place
I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that Hunter Biden’s laptop was on the Titan….Not saying they are true, but really smart people on Twitter are talking about it. I don’t know, I just think we should all do our own research man….
All my guns were on it.

Apparently your guys in Honduras was an acquaintance of Rush and warned him about his hasty dives.

https://www.insider.com/submersible-expert-oceangate-ceo-hull-defect-will-only-get-worse-2023-6

Wow! That is him, Karl Stanley. His sub operation on Roatan is Stanley’s submersible. Interesting guy. I never got in his sub but did enjoy chatting with him and looking at some of his pictures and videos while knocking down some cold Salva Vidas (one of the local Honduran brews)

Well I’m starting to wonder if they died as fast as everyone told us they did. Some of the parts they’re recovering are pretty big and now they’re saying they’ve got human remains.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT