ADVERTISEMENT

Titanic tourist sub goes missing

I just was going by what Cameron said and he said 3500 feet. He may have misspoke but he is a submersible expert and member of these explorer folks and none of us are.

Yeah it really doesn't matter. His statement about carbon fiber failing over time compared to steel is very interesting. This sub should have never been in the water with humans.

Reactions: jawatkins
I just was going by what Cameron said and he said 3500 feet. He may have misspoke but he is a submersible expert and member of these explorer folks and none of us are.

I am guessing if he said that (I didn't catch it) that he ment 3500 meters which would also be around the depth previously reported.

Why did they allow for hundreds of man hours and other resources to be wasted given this information? Did they want this to take up time and attention in the news cycle?

Why did they allow for hundreds of man hours and other resources to be wasted given this information? Did they want this to take up time and attention in the news cycle?

Just like with banging sounds you can't be sure that is what it is until you find and confirm.

Would you want the doctor to actually take steps to confirm you are dead or just look at you and say "he looks dead" only for you to wake up in your coffin 6 feet under?

Just like with banging sounds you can't be sure that is what it is until you find and confirm.

Would you want the doctor to actually take steps to confirm you are dead or just look at you and say "he looks dead" only for you to wake up in your coffin 6 feet under?

...u ALWAYS gotta confirm with the bangin' sounds, yo!!!!

They had hope and had to get the rov’s into place to confirm you knob
Which was another failure if you watch the Cameron/Ballard video. They should have had a ROV already there on the ship at all times to check things out if they got caught in nets on the way down, and of course for the event where this all happened.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Yeah, more like 7/8ths of the way there

"It’s unclear where or how deep the Titan was when the implosion occurred, but the Titanic wreck sits nearly 13,000 feet (almost 4,000 meters) below sea level. The submersible was about 1 hour and 45 minutes into the roughly 2 hour descent when it lost contact."
The Navy gave the time of the implosion to the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard determined that the submersible was at or near the bottom when it imploded. That’s how they knew where to look.

From the WSJ article.

Yeah it really doesn't matter. His statement about carbon fiber failing over time compared to steel is very interesting. This sub should have never been in the water with humans.

This is what I'd posted several pages ago: CF can be very unpredictable with respect to cyclic stresses.

And regular monitoring/testing would be required - this thread implies they had a system set up for this, but it does not appear they formally "tested" it, as in "sending their sub up/down" a dozen times and using that system to establish it was sensitive enough to warn of potential failure.

They basically had a "theoretical" method for detecting hull weakening, not a proven method.

Getting a patent on something is one thing; actually implementing it in engineering practice (particularly with respect to cyclic stresses) is an entirely different step. Cycle-testing to failure (i.e. reliability testing) is an entire engineering and statistics field.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I'm no engineer, but I'm aware that properly designed machines or machine parts come with safety factors. Wire cable, slings, shackles, pins, bolts, etc. used for cranes are a good example. They all come tagged with a stated capacity. This capacity is well under what they're actually capable of handling. Safety is thus factored in. The Titan was designed to be able to go down 13,000 feet to the Titanic. Yet, it failed to do this. Structurally failed. I don't see how it's possible to see this accident as anything other than foolish trust placed on an improper design.
The vessel was never properly tested or classed. Criminally tragic, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Stating the obvious, but there needs to be an investigation into the silencing of the whistleblowers, and its previously reported problems which were not publicly disclosed or apparently vetted.
James Cameron had a lengthy interview on Thursday evening and absolutely ripped Stockton Rush for skirting safety issues.
Sounds like this disaster wasn't an "if", but more a "when".

James Cameron had a lengthy interview on Thursday evening and absolutely ripped Stockton Rush for skirting safety issues.
Sounds like this disaster wasn't an "if", but more a "when".
It's linked above in this thread. Very damning indeed.

Reactions: MitchLL
Hull breach didn't even give them time to use the no way out option installed in the sub.
s-l1600.jpg

I feel bad for the 19 year-old. He was rightly scared of the whole thing and was guilted into doing it because it was Father’s Day.
The mother should just end it for not putting a stop to the whole thing.

The thing that get me about this whole situation is that if these billionaires were acquiring a 100MM company, they would have a team spend months going through things to make sure it's a smart investment. But when it comes to their personal safety, they didn't feel the need to do the same all while taking the word of a guy that fired anyone with a reasonable objection and used an off brand X Box controller to run the whole operation. Why not spend 100k for a team to go over the whole thing and assess the risk for you? I guess it was only their life and the life of a 19 year old son.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
The thing that get me about this whole situation is that if these billionaires were acquiring a 100MM company, they would have a team spend months going through things to make sure it's a smart investment. But when it comes to their personal safety, they didn't feel the need to do the same all while taking the word of a guy that fired anyone with a reasonable objection and used an off brand X Box controller to run the whole operation. Why not spend 100k for a team to go over the whole thing and assess the risk for you? I guess it was only their life and the life of a 19 year old son.

Don't even have to do that. Do all the research for that sub and then get an engineer with experience making these subs and ask them for their opinion on it.

What's crazy is that Hamish Harding had experience on submersibles like this previously so you would think some red flags would have been raised.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I stand by my statement that it was a waste of resources. Billionaires are no more valuable than Smokin Joe selling a pyramid scheme when it comes to dumb decisions.

I'm not implying that I am happy that they died. Opposite. Why do people feel like they need to risk their lives doing stupid shit

Part of me thinks it is sad that Stockton Rush isn't alive because he escapes the experience of being universally despised and not trusted by the entire world.

I stand by my statement that it was a waste of resources. Billionaires are no more valuable than Smokin Joe selling a pyramid scheme when it comes to dumb decisions.

I'm not implying that I am happy that they died. Opposite. Why do people feel like they need to risk their lives doing stupid shit

This entire story is classic fvck around and find out.

Don't even have to do that. Do all the research for that sub and then get an engineer with experience making these subs and ask them for their opinion on it.

What's crazy is that Hamish Harding had experience on submersibles like this previously so you would think some red flags would have been raised.
They probably thought that if the CEO is on board, surely it must be safe. So much for that thinking.

These guys lived.

You call them “ Idiots” “dumbasses”, etc.

“I spend my time on a sports site off topic message board. Boom!”

Look at yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT