ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Hall

It was a great play design and another receiver was running right at Schulte who had to go with him
Watching the replay really made me appreciate the design of that play. A true dilemma for our dbacks involved, kudos to Troy. Two thoughts immediately ensued 1) how do you defend that play 2) how come we seemingly NEVER force opponents into similar situations. The last passing bomb for Iowa may have been with Beathard at QB in the B10 championship.

He had a rough day for sure, but on both of those plays there was zero pass rush and the QB sat back in their with time for the receiver to make a double move each time. We need better coverage but we also need a more consistent pass rush.
Yes, and in the 2nd half the 2nd team DE's and Hurkett really put it too them. Both Allen and Llewellyn really brought the heat..

Watching the replay really made me appreciate the design of that play. A true dilemma for our dbacks involved, kudos to Troy. Two thoughts immediately ensued 1) how do you defend that play 2) how come we seemingly NEVER force opponents into similar situations. The last passing bomb for Iowa may have been with Beathard at QB in the B10 championship.
If Hall was in man to man then the other receiver needed to have some type of man to man coverage with one safety back on that side of the field. It was the Classic threaten the safety situation where Schulte iirc had to take the inside receiver.

If Hall was zone for 20 yards or so then the hawks didnt have enough men on that side of the field.

Now saying all that, Hall cant let that receiver get behind him by such a big gap as Hall probably saw no other receiver in a shorter route on that side of the field.

The hawks also did not have that relentless pass rush. But that is why you call those deep pass routes but always have a safe, short pass to dump off to.

Iowa has a few of those plays but they just dont call them much

Full faith well clean this up. Funny though, in camp, Parker mentioned our DBs needed the most work and many thought he was just trying to keep them motivated. He wasn’t lying.
I noticed that comment too and now we see why. Hopefully, they can make some strides between now and the OSU game or it’s going to be ugly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT