ADVERTISEMENT

Tom and Terry

My conversion chart states 3 rat's asses per shit. It's a few years old though.
This is about right. I was going to say a rat’s ass is worth half-a-shit, but I’m not going to quarrel with anyone who thinks it is only one-third a shit. Also acceptable is 17% of a shit, if it’s a small rat (that’s one-sixth a shit, for you mathmaticians who know your shit . . . and Mark Hall).

Yes … that is a “guess”. If you think that big money is the primary reason for the PSU assent, … you are kidding yourself. Ira’s money was catalyst for getting Cael to come to PSU, but, Cael’s philosophy and coaching style have built the program to where it is.
This isn’t a chicken and egg situation. No one is kidding themselves here but you. But hey bang on those bongos, hit the peace pipe, and sing Kumbaya if it helps you sleep at night. It’s a free country…. but don’t forget your AmEx.

This isn’t a chicken and egg situation. No one is kidding themselves here but you. But hey bang on those bongos, hit the peace pipe, and sing Kumbaya if it helps you sleep at night. It’s a free country…. but don’t forget your AmEx.
Huh? You post like baccafarmer is my sock puppet or something. Maybe just a brother from another mother…

Speaking of bongos… imma head out in a bit and slap the shit out of my LP bongos with horse skin heads. (No joke.) my favorite drums have horse, fish and lizard skin heads. I’ve been skinning my own drums for evah..

Huh? You post like baccafarmer is my sock puppet or something. Maybe just a brother from another mother…

Speaking of bongos… imma head out in a bit and slap the shit out of my LP bongos with horse skin heads. (No joke.) my favorite drums have horse, fish and lizard skin heads. I’ve been skinning my own drums for evah..
I’m just going to assume this was a ChatGPT fail.

My guess is this has a lot to do with PSU having the money plan to keep their guys in town. If you’re going to make less going somewhere to be a top tier assistant why leave?

I don’t know the guy who backed Beat the Streets, and I don’t think he has anything to do with PSU, but I know he’s the kind of financial guy who has the Capitol to get all the banks and investors to back him when he makes a move. And when you’re a capital investor like that you guarantee yourself returns well over 10% when you get behind something. Why all the banks back him.

My point is, someone injected a lot of financial capital into PSU wrestling and they made it payoff. Something we could do in Iowa but we need that big influx of cash.
the names you are looking for are Galen Dreibilbus and Ira Lubert ...... Open checkbooks and insert recruits name on as many checks as needed

Reactions: bluroptimo
I've known Brent from his first days here. I also know he loves deer hunting. That doesn't change the fact of who he is and what he was to this program. His name is synonymous with Iowa wrestling and Iowa style. He would teach our guys that style. What did all you clowns love about TnT? The style they wrestled. He would do wonders with the middleweights we have. M* not so much.

This is one of the areas where you lose people.

Metcalf has been at ISU for 5 years. He hasn't been able to teach that style at ISU, nor has he done wonders there, so what's going to suddenly change by moving to the east side of the state?

Don't get me wrong--Brent is a good dude. If he's on Iowa's staff he will have my full support and I will feel good about it. But he's a big question mark (at best) as a collegiate coach.

Tom, Terry, and Morningstar are under contract through 2026. There's no way any change is made prior to then unless they voluntarily step down. That's the reality.

This is false. Tom Brands is under contract until 2029.

And what's with this "reality" comment? Coaches can be fired. It's a thing. Heck, Zalesky was fired with time left on his contract.

Last edited:

Metcalf has been at ISU for 5 years. He hasn't been able to teach that style at ISU, nor has he done wonders there, so what's going to suddenly change by moving to the east side of the state?

Don't get me wrong--Brent is a good dude. If he's on Iowa's staff he will have my full support and I will feel good about it. But he's a big question mark (at best) as a collegiate coach.

And what's with this "reality" comment? Coaches can be fired. It's a thing. Heck, Zalesky was fired with time left on his contract.
Spooner, you have always been a good member of this board and I appreciate your insight. I firmly believe that Brent would be head and shoulders better than M* in every way..... Could I be wrong? Yes. But I would love to find out.

Spooner, you have always been a good member of this board and I appreciate your insight. I firmly believe that Brent would be head and shoulders better than M* in every way..... Could I be wrong? Yes. But I would love to find out.

And my question is really just “why”? Being a better wrestler isn’t a reason, and evidence shows his coaching abilities are at best questionable.

I’m up for upgrading anything to do with the Iowa program. This just doesn’t look like one. Would rather go find someone who’s actually proven to be good.

And my question is really just “why”? Being a better wrestler isn’t a reason, and evidence shows his coaching abilities are at best questionable.

I’m up for upgrading anything to do with the Iowa program. This just doesn’t look like one. Would rather go find someone who’s actually proven to be good.
In my opinion, Brent would be an upgrade and is Iowa and would come here. Name some guys that you think would be an upgrade. Now consider these two things. Would Tom try to bring them in? Would they put up with Tom, and Terry if he's still here?

In my opinion, Brent would be an upgrade and is Iowa and would come here. Name some guys that you think would be an upgrade. Now consider these two things. Would Tom try to bring them in? Would they put up with Tom, and Terry if he's still here?

Well it isn’t my belief that they would swap Metcalf for Morningstar so the whole thing is moot in that case.

In this fantasy I’d probably favor someone who didn’t wrestle for Iowa.

There's zero chance the interim AD or a new AD fires Brands.

If, they won't fire Brian there is absolutely zero chance they fire Brands unless it's for conduct reasons.

Not renewing the contract, or Brands voluntarily stepping down/retiring is the only way they're gone before their contracts are up.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiltman

In regards to coaching changes, Iowa needs to seriously consider bringing in someone from outside the program. Keep Spencer Lee around in some form whether it's as an athlete or assistant coach/HWC coach, but we need some form of diversity beyond Iowa roots. If we were winning like in the 90s I wouldn't think that, but we aren't and are chasing. Too much good talent outside the program to leave unsought.

In regards to coaching changes, Iowa needs to seriously consider bringing in someone from outside the program. Keep Spencer Lee around in some form whether it's as an athlete or assistant coach/HWC coach, but we need some form of diversity beyond Iowa roots. If we were winning like in the 90s I wouldn't think that, but we aren't and are chasing. Too much good talent outside the program to leave unsought.
What about bringing in someone like Max Dean. He was a national champ and competed at both Cornell and PSU. Comes from a wrestling family and would seemingly have ties all over the wrestling community.

There's zero chance the interim AD or a new AD fires Brands.

If, they won't fire Brian there is absolutely zero chance they fire Brands unless it's for conduct reasons.

Not renewing the contract, or Brands voluntarily stepping down/retiring is the only way they're gone before their contracts are up.

That's your opinion. The Brian situation has little or nothing to do with this one.

It's not a bad opinion, by the way. It certainly feels highly doubtful at best right now. But 4th/5th place (or worse) finishes in 2024 and 2025 would change things considerably.

Reactions: el dub and Hawkgma
we already have two clones preaching the Iowa style. Not sure more of that would he a good thing. Just MO. Not every wrestler is the same, and they weren't under Gable either.

Reactions: vhsalum
That's your opinion. The Brian situation has little or nothing to do with this one.

It's not a bad opinion, by the way. It certainly feels highly doubtful at best right now. But 4th/5th place (or worse) finishes in 2024 and 2025 would change things considerably.

Of course it's my opinion. That goes without saying. I'd never claim my predictions about the future are facts.

I spoke in hyperbole because to me it seems extremely unlikely that either Brands or Morningstar would be fired before their contracts are up.

Last edited:
I agree. Times have changed — it is pointless to continue pursuing Iowa Style in this new era. Iowa Style needs to be transformed to adapt to the times.

Nobody is stepping in the shits we’re giving, bruh. That would be unhygienic. And we’re a squeaky clean crew, eh?
IDK. I thought they might be inside a flaming bag on the porch.

Aside: I'd very glad to give 2 shits (and still gladder to give 3) after a bout of traveller's constipation, regardless of the opinion of disinterest.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
I'm assuming Metcalf has had something to do with David Carr's success -- 1st, 3rd, 2nd -- and I'd take him on the staff in a second, but what I'd really like to do is to take Metcalf (or Morningstar if you like) and have them shadow Casey Cunningham for a year and then come back and tell us everything they learned. Of all the coaches out there, that guy seems to have the secret sauce.

I'm assuming Metcalf has had something to do with David Carr's success -- 1st, 3rd, 2nd -- and I'd take him on the staff in a second, but what I'd really like to do is to take Metcalf (or Morningstar if you like) and have them shadow Casey Cunningham for a year and then come back and tell us everything they learned. Of all the coaches out there, that guy seems to have the secret sauce.
Could be wrong, but feel like he is the one that keeps it moving forward. Never hear anything negative about him either.

Reactions: Gusaford and el dub
I agree. Times have changed — it is pointless to continue pursuing Iowa Style in this new era. Iowa Style needs to be transformed to adapt to the times.
I partially agree, but still think the 'Iowa style' is not the problem. The problem is we haven't had many recently with the combination of offensive talent and aggressiveness to execute the 'Iowa Style'. If guys like TnT were on the mat today, I think they'd be just as successful now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT