ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Dienhart Q&A with Kirk Ferentz

Iowa and Minnesota are 3-3 in the last six games. Iowa is 6-4 in the last 10 years against the Goofs. So what? Minnesota has a coach who dances in the locker room with his team, and Iowa has a coach that sounds removed and disinterested. Which would you rather have?

Iowa and Minnesota are 3-3 in the last six games. Iowa is 6-4 in the last 10 years against the Goofs. So what? Minnesota has a coach who dances in the locker room with his team, and Iowa has a coach that sounds removed and disinterested. Which would you rather have?

I already said their staff is better. They have the best staff in the division, IMO, which is just pathetic when you think about it. They're still on EXACTLY the same plane that Iowa is right now.

Actually, we have won 2 out of the last 3.

Doesn't matter how you slice it, you're just clueless here.

You are correct. Iowa is 2-3 in their last 5 vs Minn which makes it worse.

No matter how you slice it...well, you get it.

Here is the thing. Despite what some think, Ferentz cares about winning. But, he cares about being successful as a Big 10 coach that just happens to be the Hawkeyes. It comes off sounding like he wants to be good and professional at a job, not this particular job.

I wish the head coach at Iowa was succesful and figuratively had the Hawkeye logo tattoo. There is a coach out there that literally has one. I want a coach that wants to win a trophy game more than a game against Purdue or Penn St., not because the fans want it or it is part of the job requirements, but because it personally means more to him as a hawkeye. I want the coach to be invested in Iowa City because he loves being a hawkeye, not because he wants to be a good community citizen.

Some coaches like Dantonio love tweaking their rival and do so publicly and you can tell he does not like Michigan more than other teams. Ferentz's boys in the past have said Iowa State is just another game. Some coaches like Fry put "ANF" on the helmets and there is extra pride for Iowa beyond a football game. Some coaches go viral over their locker room speeches.

It is not about being a fair weather fan of Iowa, it is about whether you can be a fan of a coach that you do not really believe wants to be the coach at Iowa past the paycheck and the personal satisfaction of doing a professional and successful job. Because at the end of the day, once that success has been gone for several years, there is no personal loyalty to that coach because there is no feeling that coach is loyal to your organization past what is required of him as a professional.

Don't get me wrong, I will take a Lute Olsen who is successful and getting a paycheck over a Rhoads who is not successful and loves being at their job over more prestigious and better paying ones. But, you take success out of the equation and people will stick by the guy longer that is there because he loves Iowa more than he loves being a head coach.

Some may point at the opportunity to go to the NFL as some loyalty to Iowa, and I will point out the unprecedented and unmatched since contract that was used to keep him here. Some may cry foul and say he is a success by developing talent in a place hard to recruit, and I will point out many of those are walk-on and low star linemen from Iowa that wanted to be Hawkeyes regardless of the coach.

The bottom line is this: if the coach takes a workman approach to each game and has no investiture to the institution past success, then that is what he is judged on. The only real argument is then what is success, and I hear a lot of excuses why there is none or what "success" is from Ferentz, which shows that arguments for a new coach are not unwarranted.

Reactions: San_Antonio_Hawk
It's probably not the worst part, but this very topic was brought up on the Rivals board and posters from around the country including fans, of fellow Big Ten teams and other schools, that don't like Iowa (or their fans for that matter, but we don't care right now because we're too busy being mad at Kirk and Gary and Greg........), are basically saying the exact same things that this board has been saying:

"sounds tired and ready to move on"

"they should get rid of him"

"I'd be pissed if my coach said that"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT