ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Fornelli on Iowa Offense: 'We're running the Shanahan system'

Drinkin Buddy

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2015
Hiawatha

How Iowa's new-look offense draws inspiration from Green Bay Packers: 'We're running the Shanahan system'​

The 2024 season is one of big, exciting changes in the Big Ten. The conference will add a western wing this summer, with USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington growing the number of schools in the league to 18. Everywhere I go -- around family, friends, or strangers who find out what I do for a living -- I get asked how excited I am about the changes.

I tell them the truth. I'm not as excited about the additions as I am intrigued by them. It will be interesting to see how the additions shift the landscape of the league, but even that's limited because I'm fairly confident they won't be the last additions in the near future.
The one thing that excites me -- but nobody ever asks about it-- is the new-look Iowa offense.
Yes, I'm a man of unique tastes. The Big Ten has four new teams? Cool. Ohio State is acquiring an incredible amount of talent this offseason that could set the Buckeyes up for years? Neat.

But have you heard that Iowa's going to be running far more pre-snap motion? That's change! That's exciting! When it comes to the changes supposedly coming to Iowa City, I'm trying to maintain an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude. But the more I read and hear, the more I buy into the idea that it's actually happening.
Take this column from the Des Moines Register's Chad Leistikow about former Iowa running back and current running backs coach Ladell Betts. Of note, Iowa's staff and new offensive coordinator Tim Lester visited the Green Bay Packers, where Lester previously served as a senior analyst. The emphasis is mine:

"[Lester] was 100% the catalyst. It was good to see that, too," Betts said. "A guy that only spent one year somewhere, he was so well-received when we went in - from the players to the coaches. It just shows me that he must have made an impact. They clearly remembered who he was. That's a good sign that you're dealing with a great guy."
Team visits are common in the offseason. For example, Ferentz has taken staff to New England Patriots practices in the past. Iowa once visited Georgia football practice to get a window into how the Southeastern Conference powerhouse operates. This particular visit was beneficial because, as Betts said, "We're running the Packers' system. We're running the Shanahan system."

What's that? Iowa will be running the Packers' system? The Shanahan system? Does that include pre-snap motion?

"The bread and butter of it is the run game. It all centers around the run game," Betts told the Register. "But I think the biggest takeaway is how much consternation can we give the defense? How off-balance can we keep the defense? There's going to be a lot of motions. A lot of shifts. A lot of pre-snap changes with the alignments."

I appreciate Betts saying "consternation." It's a good word that needs to be used more often, much like pre-snap motion for the Iowa offense. My problems with Iowa's offenses weren't strictly related to the style of play. I have no problem with multiple tight end sets and smashmouth football. My problem was how easy the Hawkeyes made things on opponents. They lined up and ran the play.

Hearing that the Hawkeyes plan to use more pre-snap motion was a jolt to the system. Motion before the snap is not some newfangled discovery. It's a basic concept teams have used for a long time to force a defense to declare itself and make life easier for the quarterback. How infrequently did Iowa use motion last season? According to TruMedia, only 22.9% of the time; it ranked No. 12 in the Big Ten and No. 112 nationally.

TEAMPLAYS WITH PRE-SNAP MOTIONNATIONAL RANK
Michigan59.7%2nd
Ohio State41.9%32nd
Minnesota40.6%40th
Northwestern39.0%47th
Illinois38.1%51st
Nebraska36.3%63rd
Penn State33.9%74th
Indiana33.6%75th
Purdue33.5%76th
Michigan State27.3%99th
Wisconsin27.3%100th
Iowa22.9%112th
Maryland20.8%119th
Rutgers19.5%122nd

Compare that number to Michigan, another offense that played "smashmouth" complementary football on offense. The Wolverines used pre-snap motion 59.7% of the time. That was the second-highest rate in the country, behind only Florida.

The point is not that motion fixes an offense; however, it can make life easier for an offense, confuse a defense, and (as Michigan so excellently showed us last year) it can be run by a team looking to maul you more than run past you.

Maybe, just maybe, Iowa will do it, too.

Sounds like just the medicine this offense needs. The question is, how much will defenses respect the the motion given our history? I think we’ll have to prove it with some effective passing or misdirection plays out of that motion before opposing defenses really loosen up.

How Iowa's new-look offense draws inspiration from Green Bay Packers: 'We're running the Shanahan system'​

The 2024 season is one of big, exciting changes in the Big Ten. The conference will add a western wing this summer, with USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington growing the number of schools in the league to 18. Everywhere I go -- around family, friends, or strangers who find out what I do for a living -- I get asked how excited I am about the changes.

I tell them the truth. I'm not as excited about the additions as I am intrigued by them. It will be interesting to see how the additions shift the landscape of the league, but even that's limited because I'm fairly confident they won't be the last additions in the near future.
The one thing that excites me -- but nobody ever asks about it-- is the new-look Iowa offense.
Yes, I'm a man of unique tastes. The Big Ten has four new teams? Cool. Ohio State is acquiring an incredible amount of talent this offseason that could set the Buckeyes up for years? Neat.

But have you heard that Iowa's going to be running far more pre-snap motion? That's change! That's exciting! When it comes to the changes supposedly coming to Iowa City, I'm trying to maintain an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude. But the more I read and hear, the more I buy into the idea that it's actually happening.
Take this column from the Des Moines Register's Chad Leistikow about former Iowa running back and current running backs coach Ladell Betts. Of note, Iowa's staff and new offensive coordinator Tim Lester visited the Green Bay Packers, where Lester previously served as a senior analyst. The emphasis is mine:

What's that? Iowa will be running the Packers' system? The Shanahan system? Does that include pre-snap motion?

"The bread and butter of it is the run game. It all centers around the run game," Betts told the Register. "But I think the biggest takeaway is how much consternation can we give the defense? How off-balance can we keep the defense? There's going to be a lot of motions. A lot of shifts. A lot of pre-snap changes with the alignments."

I appreciate Betts saying "consternation." It's a good word that needs to be used more often, much like pre-snap motion for the Iowa offense. My problems with Iowa's offenses weren't strictly related to the style of play. I have no problem with multiple tight end sets and smashmouth football. My problem was how easy the Hawkeyes made things on opponents. They lined up and ran the play.

Hearing that the Hawkeyes plan to use more pre-snap motion was a jolt to the system. Motion before the snap is not some newfangled discovery. It's a basic concept teams have used for a long time to force a defense to declare itself and make life easier for the quarterback. How infrequently did Iowa use motion last season? According to TruMedia, only 22.9% of the time; it ranked No. 12 in the Big Ten and No. 112 nationally.

Michigan59.7%2nd
Ohio State41.9%32nd
Minnesota40.6%40th
Northwestern39.0%47th
Illinois38.1%51st
Nebraska36.3%63rd
Penn State33.9%74th
Indiana33.6%75th
Purdue33.5%76th
Michigan State27.3%99th
Wisconsin27.3%100th
Iowa22.9%112th
Maryland20.8%119th
Rutgers19.5%122nd

Compare that number to Michigan, another offense that played "smashmouth" complementary football on offense. The Wolverines used pre-snap motion 59.7% of the time. That was the second-highest rate in the country, behind only Florida.

The point is not that motion fixes an offense; however, it can make life easier for an offense, confuse a defense, and (as Michigan so excellently showed us last year) it can be run by a team looking to maul you more than run past you.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the Packers ran the ball 42% of the time. The 49ers ran it 48% of the time. Mix in KF, pretty sure the deal will be a 50/50 type deal so...a typical KF offense but with more pre-snap motion.
Building a strong running game is football 101. Making it less predictable is winning football. We've all been in Kinnick when the 80 year old grandmother called out "stretch run to the short side" as the QB changed the play. Hope we never see that again...though I'm sure we will.

What Betts said, and what the word is about the Iowa offensive changes under Lester, are what several of us on this board have been calling for for years. My gawd. It's been SO obvious. Most of the best offenses in the country use pre-snap motion and misdirection. But that's not exactly new. Knute Rockne's motion and shifts 100 years ago--in addition to taking advantage of the forward pass--transformed offensive football. Hayden Fry used motion and misdirection consistently. I guess KF wasn't paying attention . . .

Anyway, this startling news, these potential revelations relating to the Iowa offense are simple common sense. KF's offensive malfeasance has been incredibly ignorant. If it ends this season, it will be years too late and yet just in time for the Hawkeyes to take advantage of another top five national defense.

And many of us on here--me for sure--won't mind saying, "We told ya so."

I'm surprised by that 22% pre-snap motion - I would have guessed a lot higher than that.

Or, does motion mean a guy is actually moving, vs. a TE that switches from one side to the other? Maybe that's considered a "shift". Which in that case, 22% sounds better.

In any event, it doesn't matter unless it's done with a purpose and effectively confuses the defense. And, they don't need to fool everyone, just one or two guys can make for a positive plan ... or a big play.

Michigan59.7%2nd
Ohio State41.9%32nd
Minnesota40.6%40th
Northwestern39.0%47th
Illinois38.1%51st
Nebraska36.3%63rd
Penn State33.9%74th
Indiana33.6%75th
Purdue33.5%76th
Michigan State27.3%99th
Wisconsin27.3%100th
Iowa22.9%112th
Maryland20.8%119th
Rutgers19.5%122nd

This is old news. Implementing the Kyle Shanahan offense was being discussed in the linked thread below 8 days ago, on June 6 (start with post #112).

This Tom Fornelli story was posted yesterday in the thread linked below as well.

I guess Kyle Shanahan/49'ers offense in the thread title didn't stand out ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Drinkin Buddy
This is old news. Implementing the Kyle Shanahan offense was being discussed in the linked thread below 8 days ago, on June 6 (start with post #112).

This Tom Fornelli story was posted yesterday in the thread linked below as well.

Dude take it easy, more than one thread is allowed to be started. And altering the title every day doesn't change that. Some people prefer not to wade through 300+ posts to read an article. In fact I'd prefer the thread titles not be editable for that reason.

Dude take it easy, more than one thread is allowed to be started. And altering the title every day doesn't change that. Some people prefer not to wade through 300+ posts to read an article. In fact I'd prefer the thread titles not be editable for that reason.

I only altered the thread title once, 8 days ago, when it was learned that KF, Lester and others went to Green Bay and it became known that they were gonna run the Kyle Shanahan offense.

And I was simply pointing out that starting with post #112 in the linked thread below there's a lot of good discussion by Chad (from the Register), Scott (from the Athletic) and posters.

I only altered the thread title once, 8 days ago, when it was learned that KF, Lester and others went to Green Bay and it became known that they were gonna run the Kyle Shanahan offense.

And I was simply pointing out that starting with post #112 in the linked thread below there's a lot of good discussion by Chad (from the Register), Scott (from the Athletic) and posters.

This isn't a one time thing though. I'm not trying to rip you, but there's really no need to call people out for this. Who cares if more than one thread exists talking about the same thing.

Encouraging to hear, but as others say, I'll believe that change when I see it.

As much as I hate Michigan, I still think they are the model we should be gunning for. It's the complimentary football Kirk loves so much. So when I see they were #2 in the nation in pre-snap movement, something Iowa is working on now, it has me thinking we really are trending in the right direction.

Thanks for posting. I missed that thread.

I do appreciate trying to be efficient and keep related updates within an original thread, but at some point that thread has exhausted its useful shelf life and the reader naturally migrates to threads with more timely updates and post dates. The thread you cited re: Post #112 was initiated on Feb 1. That's a lifetime on this message board.

I tend not to go too long or deep deep(that's what she said) into threads since often they go sideways after a bit and one has to wade through a lot of hijacking BS in order to see if it was able to get back on track with thoughtful comments and perspectives. This phenomenon is not exclusive to any one OP.

All good.

Last edited:
I say start a new thread about whatever the heck you want whenever you want.
As once so eloquently opined by the Digital Underground, just Doowutchyalike.

Thanks for posting. I missed that thread.

I do appreciate trying to be efficient and keep related updates within an original thread, but at some point that thread has exhausted its useful shelf life and the reader naturally migrates to threads with more timely updates and post dates. The thread you cited re: Post #112 was initiated on Feb 1. That's a lifetime on this message board.

I tend not to go too long or deep deep(that's what she said) into threads since often they go sideways after a bit and one has to wade through a lot of hijacking BS in order to see if it was able to get back on track with thoughtful comments and perspectives. This phenomenon is not exclusive to any one OP.

All good.
I don't think anyone wants 8 threads on the same topic. But 2 threads isn't going to be the end of the world. It does get tiresome when King Fran thinks he is the all powerful one on the latest Hawkeye news.

You can't ignore the fact that the worst offensive coordinator in football is gone from the program. That's a huge difference between this season and the last 7.
Agree that BF was a nightmare, wasn't qualified, should've never been gifted the job, and failed spectacularly. At the same time, it seems like no matter who our OC is, KF has them on a leash like The Humungus from Road Warrior...

lordhumunguswez.jpg

I’d like to hear how the o-line has improved and is much better than last year. As everyone knows it starts up front, if there’s no improvement there then it’s the same results no matter the system.
We heard exactly that last year about how great they were looking and then the season started. It really doesn't matter what gets said in camp and frankly I'm not even sure how you can evaluate how good or bad they were because of who was running things. All we really know is that the offense was a complete wreck the last several years. This might be the most seasoned oline in all of FBS this year. If they don't look good then the guy that's in his 4th year of being responsible for it probably needs to find a new job.

We heard exactly that last year about how great they were looking and then the season started. It really doesn't matter what gets said in camp and frankly I'm not even sure how you can evaluate how good or bad they were because of who was running things. All we really know is that the offense was a complete wreck the last several years. This might be the most seasoned oline in all of FBS this year. If they don't look good then the guy that's in his 4th year of being responsible for it probably needs to find a new job.
That's it right there. When was the last time we had an OL with this much experience that was not just outright dominate??? You can say whatever you like about early departures, injuries of whatever, but the fact is we have had far less experienced OL's perform better. So I think Barnett's leash has to be getting shorter by now.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
That's it right there. When was the last time we had an OL with this much experience that was not just outright dominate??? You can say whatever you like about early departures, injuries of whatever, but the fact is we have had far less experienced OL's perform better. So I think Barnett's leash has to be getting shorter by now.
Barnett has been rebuilding the OL room. He has received five 4-star commits over a three year period. Plauers connect to him. Line will be better this year, runnung game improved and our pass game will be better led by our TE room.

Barnett has been rebuilding the OL room. He has received five 4-star commits over a three year period. Plauers connect to him. Line will be better this year, runnung game improved and our pass game will be better led by our TE room.
Richman and Colby were both 4 star recruits and are in their 4th and 5th years. The biggest problem has been a lack of talent/development at the tackle position. They haven't been able to get there and the fact that none of that talent that's been recruited over the last 3 years has broken through over a group that has struggled a lot over the past 3 years is concerning, especially given the oline reputation of the Ferentz's. I understand that oline development takes time, but not a single one?

With that said, I'm thinking the 2 guys responsible for designing and running this offense probably had as much to do with their lack of success as Barnett. Hopefully a new OC is going to change that dynamic and give them a greater opportunity for success moving forward.

Richman and Colby were both 4 star recruits and are in their 4th and 5th years. The biggest problem has been a lack of talent/development at the tackle position. They haven't been able to get there and the fact that none of that talent that's been recruited over the last 3 years has broken through over a group that has struggled a lot over the past 3 years is concerning, especially given the oline reputation of the Ferentz's. I understand that oline development takes time, but not a single one?

With that said, I'm thinking the 2 guys responsible for designing and running this offense probably had as much to do with their lack of success as Barnett. Hopefully a new OC is going to change that dynamic and give them a greater opportunity for success moving forward.
Yup

I swear I just heard some reputable publication put Richman as a preseason 2nd team in the conference.

I’m sorry, but have no faith in Barnett. The offensive line performance over the last 3 years has been the worst I’ve seen in the last 30 years. They have looked lost out there. I can’t believe how many times individuals have blocked NOBODY on a given play. I understand the talent is down but you can still look competent. That’s on Barnett. I think the offense will be better but the talent level is low other than TE and RB

I swear I just heard some reputable publication put Richman as a preseason 2nd team in the conference.
That's correct. He was also honorable mention at the end of last year by coaches and media. I hope he plays at a high level this season, but more importantly I hope that the oline and the offense by extension looks like a much more dominant and cohesive unit than they have the past 3 years. Two years ago Linderbaum was one of the most dominant lineman in football, but he played on one of the most dysfunctional and ineffective lines we've ever seen.

As I have said many times, fairly judging any unit, including Barnett and the oline has been problematic given the complete breakdown of the offense overall. They're not operating in a vacuum.

Reactions: hawkeyemark18
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT