ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Dungy attacked for Speaking about Fatherhood in Florida with DeSantis

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Many came to his defense as well. He did same thing with Obama and no one cared. Shocker.

TAMPA BAY, FLA. (TND) — Flanked by leaders who support men’s involvement in their children's lives, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed a new bill Monday directing millions of dollars towards initiatives aimed at encouraging responsible and involved fatherhood.

The bill provides $70 million in funding for a wide range of programs related to supporting fatherhood, including mentorship programs for at-risk youth, career services and resources to help fathers meet their child support obligations.

At the bill signing, DeSantis was joined by several local and national leaders who firmly support involved parenting, and run foundations that work to support it, including former NFL coach Tony Dungy and former NFL player Jack Brewer.

Critics of DeSantis and his Republican colleagues laid into Dungy, calling him a “fraud” and arguing he made past comments claiming, “he wouldn't want an openly gay player on his team.”

In 2014, Michael Sam was the first openly gay player drafted into the NFL. In an interview, Dungy said he would have passed on Sam, according to The Los Angeles Times.

“Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it,” Dungy said at the time. “It’s not going to be totally smooth ... things will happen.’’

Dungy’s comments and sentiment sparked backlash from critics who characterized his sentiment as homophobic. That criticism resurfaced this week after Dungy was seen supporting DeSantis’s signing of Florida’s pro-fatherhood bill.

Many came to his defense as well. He did same thing with Obama and no one cared. Shocker.

TAMPA BAY, FLA. (TND) — Flanked by leaders who support men’s involvement in their children's lives, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed a new bill Monday directing millions of dollars towards initiatives aimed at encouraging responsible and involved fatherhood.

The bill provides $70 million in funding for a wide range of programs related to supporting fatherhood, including mentorship programs for at-risk youth, career services and resources to help fathers meet their child support obligations.

At the bill signing, DeSantis was joined by several local and national leaders who firmly support involved parenting, and run foundations that work to support it, including former NFL coach Tony Dungy and former NFL player Jack Brewer.

Critics of DeSantis and his Republican colleagues laid into Dungy, calling him a “fraud” and arguing he made past comments claiming, “he wouldn't want an openly gay player on his team.”

In 2014, Michael Sam was the first openly gay player drafted into the NFL. In an interview, Dungy said he would have passed on Sam, according to The Los Angeles Times.

“Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it,” Dungy said at the time. “It’s not going to be totally smooth ... things will happen.’’

Dungy’s comments and sentiment sparked backlash from critics who characterized his sentiment as homophobic. That criticism resurfaced this week after Dungy was seen supporting DeSantis’s signing of Florida’s pro-fatherhood bill.

I definitely agree with DeSantis on this. You knew there would be backlash from his opposition because America.

Anyone who denies that a kid is much better off with a Father in his life is a fool.
Isn't this largely contingent on the quality of the man that is the father?

I don't think it can be that categorical. There are a LOT of pieces of trash that impregnate women. In some of those cases the kids can't possibly be better off if the man, who's still going to be trash, stays around - imparting on the child their own effed up values, lessons, discipline, habits, etc.

If kids become who they learn from, and who they're exposed to, then in some cases they're going to be better off learning from watching the efforts and dedication of a single mom, than from a loser father who they see doing a bunch of loser stuff throughout their formative years.

I don't think it can be that categorical. There are a LOT of pieces of trash that impregnate women. In some of those cases the kids can't possibly be better off if the man, who's still going to be trash, stays around - imparting on the child their own effed up values, lessons, discipline, habits, etc.

If kids become who they learn from, and who they're exposed to, then in some cases they're going to be better off learning from watching the efforts and dedication of a single mom, than from a loser father who they see doing a bunch of loser stuff throughout their formative years.
I agree with you but step one is just to get more fathers in more physical proximity with their kids. You are talking more so about steps 2-4 which I agree are vitally important. But sadly, we are still stuck on step one.

And that changes what? The truth?

That changes weather or not I would want to stand up next to them when they are signing the bill.

Put this bill in front of Mitt Romney, George W. Bush, Kasich then I will go.

I'm not going to go when the guy signing it spends half his time attempting to troll people rather than simply trying to be a good governor.

That changes weather or not I would want to stand up next to them when they are signing the bill.

I'm not going to go when the guy signing it spends half his time attempting to troll people rather than simply trying to be a good governor.

So you’d deny a truth because you don’t like who’s telling it.
Brilliant!

I agree and that's my criticism of what he did. Not that he's endorsing the bill itself, but that he's standing next to an asshole to do it.

Apparently Dungy has a different opinion of RDS than you do.
Or...he thinks that the message is so spot on that all of us should agree - it needs to get out there.

Yes, the quality of the man makes a difference. But looking macroscopically, the statistics are pretty clear, not having a father significantly increases a child's risks to all sorts of issues. Of course, on an individualized basis, some children are much better off without their dad in their life. But as a whole, society would benefit from increased active fathering. From a quick Google search, I found the following:

"According to statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice, children from fatherless homes account for:
  • Suicide: 63 percent of youth suicides
  • Runaways: 90 percent of all homeless and runaway youths
  • Behavioral Disorders: 85 percent of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders
  • High School Dropouts: 71 percent of all high school dropouts
  • Juvenile Detention Rates: 70 percent of juveniles in state-operated institutions
  • Substance Abuse: 75 percent of adolescent patients in substance abuse centers
  • Aggression: 75 percent of rapists motivated by displaced anger"

I would agree with Dungy on this but I still wouldn't want to be Ron DeSantis's political prop.
Lack of fathers in the home is probably the most important social problem we face. How about we all just get behind a good idea no matter who is along for the ride? You might even discover that your fellow Americans that sometimes have different opinions on other issues are not monsters after all.

Funny how calling a Black man a "prop" can be used when it suits the Left's agenda to be 100% against anything a Conservative might say.

Reactions: Dvs9021
No I'm not denying any truth. I've said I agree with Dungy and I support the bill. I just wouldn't be caught dead standing on a platform with Ron Desantis.

He's too toxic to our political system.
I don’t know how to break this to you but he is going to be the next President.

Lack of fathers in the home is probably the most important social problem we face. How about we all just get behind a good idea no matter who is along for the ride? You might even discover that your fellow Americans that sometimes have different opinions on other issues are not monsters after all.
Unfortunately independent thinking is a thing these days, especially on this board.

So, if he wants to ban abortion and wants you to stand there for him to do it, you'll pass. I don't believe you.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT