ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins enters the Transfer Portal

Middle of the pack Big East teams and middle to upper of the pack SEC teams (not Kentucky) are paying north of 500k for Rutgers big guy. Schools that are probably comparable or just a slight step up from Iowa.
that%27s-crazy-rhian-finley-cullen.gif

Middle of the pack Big East teams and middle to upper of the pack SEC teams (not Kentucky) are paying north of 500k for Rutgers big guy. Schools that are probably comparable or just a slight step up from Iowa.
Don't know how accurate the 300k number is, but absolutely agree that it's more than just kansas and kentucky with potential deep pockets for basketball. The entire big east are all b-ball schools only. None of those NIL dollars have to go to supporting a 2 million dollar starting qb plus the multi millions that add up to every other position on a large football roster. I've no doubt that marquette, villanova, creighton and some of the others in that league have their share of alumni with $$$$ willing to shell out for players.

Everytime I read these NIL prices, I'm in even more disbelief that this is actually happening.

Many of these players will be issuing car insurance in a few years.
"Hi, this is {insert overrated player name here} with City Nissan. You may remember me as the guy who walked out on your program with a sweet NIL deal 20 years ago, and now I want you to walk off my lot with a sweet deal on this 2044 Nissan Altima."

Don't know how accurate the 300k number is, but absolutely agree that it's more than just kansas and kentucky with potential deep pockets for basketball. The entire big east are all b-ball schools only. None of those NIL dollars have to go to supporting a 2 million dollar starting qb plus the multi millions that add up to every other position on a large football roster. I've no doubt that marquette, villanova, creighton and some of the others in that league have their share of alumni with $$$$ willing to shell out for players.
Yea. Big East basketball is supreme at all these schools, including UConn. If you are a scholarship basketball player at Creighton, you make over six figures a year, and have the opportunity to make a lot more. I should say, they make low six figures and have the opportunity to make more. They aren’t paying guys millions.

Like many others I'm not surprised and have thought for a long time this is what would happen. Tony said as much himself many months ago in stating that this was his last year at Iowa.
While he certainly had his flaws, I appreciate what he gave for 4 years. Despite the letdown in the last few games he was the best all around player on the floor for Iowa this year taking the entire season into account.
Good luck to him in finding a nice one year payday where he gets to play his natural spot as a 2 on a team with a chance to make a run in the tourney.
Well said, he was an athletic player on a roster that was severely lacking quickness/athleticism. For someone not highly wanted from top programs out of HS, he had a decent career for Iowa. As others said, I think he will do well at a program like that already has an established PG or 2, has more athleticism, and values defense. 😉

I read the story on the home page here and it says he wants to pursue a pro career. Will it be here or overseas?
IMO it would have to be overseas, but you never know. Also, if that is the case why the portal?

JBo? How about the reason NIL exists........ed o'bannon

Uhhhhh yea. JBo and Geo Baker at Rutgers were spearheading this NIL movement. If they want to take the credit, make sure they also get the blame for the mess this has created.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Brock Harding better begin preparing to play a ton of minutes next season.
I gave Fran a B- this year as a rebuilding season
That kind of pass is over now.
Officially Fran is on the clock.
Next year..pass/fail test is making the NCAA tourney, period.

As of right now this roster needs more talent to achieve that, imo.
So you're going to fire him if we don't make the tourney next year. Does Beth know?

I don’t think he is quite good enough to start for a blue blood. Could be a nice 6th or 7th man, but doubt he is leaving to ride the pine.

I could see him landing at a school like Texas Tech, Louisville., South Carolina, Southern Cal, or DePaul (assuming they ratchet up their NIL)

I thought the same thing about Moss and I was wrong.

So, for now, the incoming team (including non-scholarship) consists of 12 white guys out of 14. Kind of bizarre to think about that.
If there's one thing we can count on with FrannyMac, its a racially diverse roster.

(if different shades of white are counted as 'racially diverse')

I’m kind of aghast we don’t want Tony back. He was second team all big ten. I can tell you there aren’t any second team all big ten guards on this roster that aren’t already starting (aka Dix). And if people are questioning his effort or heart all you have to do is look at Pmac and see what Fran allows on his team. Double standard.

Reactions: Bierhalter
I’m kind of aghast we don’t want Tony back. He was second team all big ten. I can tell you there aren’t any second team all big ten guards on this roster that aren’t already starting (aka Dix). And if people are questioning his effort or heart all you have to do is look at Pmac and see what Fran allows on his team. Double standard.
For me, its not about wanting Tony back or otherwise.

Thanks to NIL and the transfer portal, big time college athletics are now a cut-throat business world.

If you got money, you can buy & retain some real quality players. If you don't, well, the reason this thread exists is a result of not having (much) NIL money.

We might be worse next year without him but to me, it's like watching the same movie over and over. I've seen the Perkins movie and while it's good, I'd like to watch something different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT