ADVERTISEMENT

Too much stalling and get rid of RT PLEASE!

Two separate riding time clocks. That way we don't have to sit through a person riding for 1 min, then the other person riding for 2 mins. Each person gets to ride for a min to earn a riding time point. Then after that it's on the feet. You get a takedown, you get a few seconds to turn or back up to neutral like freestyle.

Reactions: Trapper85
Something needs to change...I would start with a push out rule for 1 point. Watching these matches is excruciating for avid wrestling fans, not to mention people who are trying to begin to follow the sport.

If I’ve said once, I’ve said it 1000 times. Just start each period from neutral. Way, way, WAY too much gaming the system with RT. It’s just gross.
sounds oddly like freestyle 🤔 ….. personally I would love to see us wrestle freestyle at all levels…… I think it’s more exciting

but I’ve brought this up before and taken abuse 😂😂

sounds oddly like freestyle 🤔 ….. personally I would love to see us wrestle freestyle at all levels…… I think it’s more exciting

I agree. The pinnacle of this sport is the Olympics and World Championships. They wrestle Freestyle at those competitions. We should be wrestling freestyle in college. I understand people dont like change and love folkstyle but at the very least we should cut our season into 2 seasons. A folkstyle season and a freestyle season. Kind of like indoor and outdoor track. 2 different championships. Folkstyle Jan.1-March 31; Freestyle April 1-May31

Modern era wrestling Gobblin. It’s a dirty little secret but finals night in March has sucked because of it. If stalling isn’t called more aggressively then there won’t be any changes

Imo after 2010 changes were made to the stall call. Now stalling is out of control. It’s an epidemic and Iowa is guilty of it as well. Pretty sad thing to happen to the sport I grew up loving and wrestling in.
Blame Oklahoma State and Penn State for mastering what other lesser programs adopted to try to keep from giving up points against Iowa.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I'd suggest no RT point unless you also had NF points. Of course I also liked the old TF rule that gave you 5 team points only if you had NF points.

However, that change wouldn't have impacted what PSU was doing in top. They would have gladly taken a 1-0 win instead of their 2-0 wins. Star would have kept his stall ride going through the end of the match if necessary like Dean.

Last edited:
I would like to get rid of stalemates for the most part as well. If a guy is diving for an ankle for the purpose of stopping action to get a stalemate to get themselves out of trouble, that should be a stall. If two guys are just locked together and neither trying to improve their position, double stall. There is too much action where guys are playing for stalemate because the other wrestler was an aggressor and are rewarded for it.

I would like to get rid of stalemates for the most part as well. If a guy is diving for an ankle for the purpose of stopping action to get a stalemate to get themselves out of trouble, that should be a stall. If two guys are just locked together and neither trying to improve their position, double stall. There is too much action where guys are playing for stalemate because the other wrestler was an aggressor and are rewarded for it.
In most cases this would be nearly impossible for a ref to properly and accurately determine. In many cases a stalemate is EXACTLY that. Neither guy can improve from that position, but if they relent the other gains a significant advantage and probably scores.

Asking a ref to determine a staller from these positions is doing the literal opposite of what we should want from a ref. You want the ref involved as little as possible and when he is, it should hopefully be to only enforce clear cut rules or give points.

Also, you have to remember defense in and of itself is NOT stalling. As long as you are presenting yourself up until the point the opponent attacks, you are not stalling if you actively defend that attack, without backing off the mat.

Finally, if anything, stalemates should often be called faster. Often, a lot of time gets wasted in positions that rarely end up with someone scoring. "Spagghetti" wrestling has brought on many refs waiting much longer to see what happens, but that has now corrected itself with both guys knowing enough to defend in most of these positions. It is time to stalemate these positions much faster...

I'd miss folkstyle.

But yes, nobody asked for my opinion.

:)

I am that casual fan, only watching wrestling when Iowa duals and the nationals.
I told my no wrestling interest friends to give it a try, #1 vs #2, that there will be fireworks.
Unfortunately, it was anything but, and I wonder why.

There seemed so little offense and I was wondering if it was good defense or guys not wanting to chance opening themselves up to counter moves. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

And should Lee have taken a different approach to getting the fall instead of piling up points?

I've come to enjoy watching, I just don't fully understand the strategies.
SL wanted to run a bar arm/wing and was immediately called for potentially dangerous more than once. That’s a pinning combo he planned using but was thwarted by ref.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
SL wanted to run a bar arm/wing and was immediately called for potentially dangerous more than once. That’s a pinning combo he planned using but was thwarted by ref.
I’m frustrated with this call…again and again. This is dangerous in that wrestling is dangerous, but it’s overemphasized as PD. If the wrestler on bottom doesn’t like it they can roll over and get pinned.

Ride time isn't that difficult of a concept for the casual fan to understand.

That said, I have suggestion to make it better: it only accumulates after an offensive score (takedown or reversal). When 1:00 is reached, with confirmation from the coaches corner, the whistle is blown, point awarded, and we restart neutral with 0:00 ride time.

That last part is really only so we don't see the bottom wrestler escape a turning attempt by dumb luck.

I’m frustrated with this call…again and again. This is dangerous in that wrestling is dangerous, but it’s overemphasized as PD. If the wrestler on bottom doesn’t like it they can roll over and get pinned.
The way Lee does it he normally doesn't get called for it.

My oldest uses the exact same arm bar and rarely gets called.

Little "sneaky".

But to comment on your last sentence, you have to protect the wrestlers. Way too many kids in shoulder braces.

The way Lee does it he normally doesn't get called for it.

My oldest uses the exact same arm bar and rarely gets called.

Little "sneaky".

But to comment on your last sentence, you have to protect the wrestlers. Way too many kids in shoulder braces.
You’re missing details of this particular turn. He’s been getting called for pd consistently. This is attempting to run a wing.

Spencer is smart enough and skilled enough to know to try a different pinning strategy against Vespa. Still don't understand why he went the tilt route for the quick 5 points instead of going for 6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT