ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 National Parks

As far as most surprisingly good NP and NMs, I‘d go with:

1) Big Bend
2) White Sands
3) Badlands
4) Great Sand Dunes
5) Muir Woods National Monument

I plan to visit White Sands along with Carlsbad Caverns in May, looking forward to it.

Maybe I missed it, but I do not see any mention of Crater Lake or Death Valley. I would put both on my list of pleasant surprises. Crater Lake is absolutely beautiful. I visited Death Valley several years ago in January, which was the perfect time to visit. Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

What was your beef with Mammoth Caves? It's an amazing set of caves. Too much white trash?
I had only seen Iowa caves before our trip, and to be in a cave like the Autobahn was beyond comparison to me.

Mammoth Caves is a very large cavern system but it’s too “young” as it has almost no formations in it. About 90-95% of it is just open tan rock.

broadway_toward_rotunda_copy_117608be-ddaa-cc50-2a67ad29685920a7.jpg

Broadway-001-by-Jackie-Wheet.jpeg

Gothic_Avenue%2C_Mammoth_Cave%2C_Mammoth_Cave_National_Park%2C_Mammoth_Cave%2C_KY_-_52725775662.jpg

and what little 10-5% of the system actually has formations, the majority of THAT is ugly tan formations due to human interaction and other chemicals in the water. So the few formations they have most looks tan or flesh in color and looks like a horror show of dicks and vagina flaps from a heavy metal cover.

hires

I very distinctly remember there was only one “room” with anything resembling pure white calcite. Even the much smaller Florida Caverns has a lot of interesting and attractively colored formations

2017-03%20Caverns%20Tour%20JK%20%2811%29-L.jpg

Really in America I’ve only found Carlsbad and Luray to be truly impressive cave systems. And part of that is because I am spoiled having done two completely different hikes through different rooms at the Jenolan cave system in Australia a few hours outside of Sydney. And I also did the smaller but incredibly unique and world famous Waitomo/ Glowworm caves in New Zealand.

Reactions: blackbones
Mammoth Caves is a very large cavern system but it’s too “young” as it has almost no formations in it. About 90-95% of it is just open tan rock.

broadway_toward_rotunda_copy_117608be-ddaa-cc50-2a67ad29685920a7.jpg

Broadway-001-by-Jackie-Wheet.jpeg

Gothic_Avenue%2C_Mammoth_Cave%2C_Mammoth_Cave_National_Park%2C_Mammoth_Cave%2C_KY_-_52725775662.jpg

and what little 10-5% of the system actually has formations, the majority of THAT is ugly tan formations due to human interaction and other chemicals in the water. So the few formations they have most looks tan or flesh in color and looks like a horror show of dicks and vagina flaps from a heavy metal cover.

hires

I very distinctly remember there was only one “room” with anything resembling pure white calcite. Even the much smaller Florida Caverns has a lot of interesting and attractively colored formations

2017-03%20Caverns%20Tour%20JK%20%2811%29-L.jpg

Really in America I’ve only found Carlsbad and Luray to be truly impressive cave systems. And part of that is because I am spoiled having done two completely different hikes through different rooms at the Jenolan cave system in Australia a few hours outside of Sydney. And I also did the smaller but incredibly unique and world famous Waitomo/ Glowworm caves in New Zealand.
Oh, so you’re a cave snob. :)

Oh, so you’re a cave snob. :)

Absolutely. Carlsbad and Luray are the best America has and they pale in comparison to Jenolan and Waitomo caves in Oz and Kiwiland respectively. Jenolan is the best cave system by far with room after room of crystal white formations. But Waitomo May be even more impressive because of its wildlife. It has millions of glowworms along the roof and sides which dangle strings of light-emitting bait balls which cause the ceiling of the caves to look like a galaxy of stars. While Carlsbad and Luray both look like the Wish/Timu version of Jenolan, America has nothing like Waitomo

destination-gallery-waitomo-2.jpg

Glow-Worm-Sky-in-Waipu-Cave-new-Zealand.jpg

Reactions: blackbones
Absolutely. Carlsbad and Luray are the best America has and they pale in comparison to Jenolan and Waitomo caves in Oz and Kiwiland respectively. Jenolan is the best cave system by far with room after room of crystal white formations. But Waitomo May be even more impressive because of its wildlife. It has millions of glowworms along the roof and sides which dangle strings of light-emitting bait balls which cause the ceiling of the caves to look like a galaxy of stars. While Carlsbad and Luray both look like the Wish/Timu version of Jenolan, America has nothing like Waitomo

destination-gallery-waitomo-2.jpg

Glow-Worm-Sky-in-Waipu-Cave-new-Zealand.jpg
Have you been to Kartchner Caverns in southern Arizona? Stopped by there and was really surprised at how good it was. And, there's something about White Sands I can't forget. It's beautiful with the white sands contrasting with the pure blue skies... amazing. Not sure if I liked so much because my youngest was only about 5 years old and we took a sled up and down those dunes for hours. I have so many great pictures and the smile of joy on his face is priceless. In fact, pic in my profile is me sitting on the edge of a dune.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
It is really tough to rank them. I would say for me:
1. Yellowstone
2. Rocky Mountain
3. Grand Canyon
4. Great Smoky Mountains
5. Everglades

Honorable Mention:
Mt. Ranier
Sleeping Bear Dunes
Acadia
Appalachian Scenic Trail NH
Golden Gate Bridge
Badlands

A great State Park is Custer.

It is really tough to rank them. I would say for me:
1. Yellowstone
2. Rocky Mountain
3. Grand Canyon
4. Great Smoky Mountains
5. Everglades

Honorable Mention:
Mt. Ranier
Sleeping Bear Dunes
Acadia
Appalachian Scenic Trail NH
Golden Gate Bridge
Badlands

A great State Park is Custer.
I would love to see that. It’s a part of the country still on my bucket list, along with Acadia in Maine and the Columbia River Gorge in Washington state.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Have you been to Kartchner Caverns in southern Arizona? Stopped by there and was really surprised at how good it was. And, there's something about White Sands I can't forget. It's beautiful with the white sands contrasting with the pure blue skies... amazing. Not sure if I liked so much because my youngest was only about 5 years old and we took a sled up and down those dunes for hours. I have so many great pictures and the smile of joy on his face is priceless. In fact, pic in my profile is me sitting on the edge of a dune.

I haven’t been to Kartchner so I can’t speak with authority. But from the images online it looks like it’s in between Mammoth and Carlsbad in quality. It definitely has more formations than Mammoth but I didn’t see much pure white crystal. It was mostly a pinkish tan color. But that’s also better than Mammoth as Mammoth looks “fleshy”.

I haven’t been to Kartchner so I can’t speak with authority. But from the images online it looks like it’s in between Mammoth and Carlsbad in quality. It definitely has more formations than Mammoth but I didn’t see much pure white crystal. It was mostly a pinkish tan color. But that’s also better than Mammoth as Mammoth looks “fleshy”.
Never been to either, but Kartchner has the original tracks the guys made in the mud from the 70s still there. You enter chambers and seal the room/sprayed with mist, then enter another chamber and repeat that before you even go inside. I thought they said it has the biggest moonmilk formation, only turnip and birdnest formations and I believe the longest stalactite formation in the world. They also found sloth and other animals bones dating back like 50,000 years ago or some crazy number. I've been in some other caves and it gets cold... it was a warm and humid inside it.

I would love to see that. It’s a part of the country still on my bucket list, along with Acadia in Maine and the Columbia River Gorge in Washington state.

The only problem I have with Acadia/Bar Harbor is that that unlike a lot of NP it’s not ”the best” of the area. The adjacent Schoodic Peninsula (which has only a sliver of the NP) and the next two Peninsula’s going ExNE up are actually better vistas than anything in Acadia proper. And you get better cheap local seafood south of Bar Harbor than in it. There’s still a couple of lobster pounds in the Bar Harbor area but they’re typically twice the price of anything on the Maine coast in between Portland and Bar Harbor (it’s been about 8 years but for $20 I got three steamed “chicken lobsters” (ie 1-1.5 lbs), some lobster chowder and a side). Having said that, whatever the NP lodge is called at Jordan Pond is worth going to for the iconic popovers with strawberry jam.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT