ADVERTISEMENT

Traveler insurance yeah or nay

Capital1Hawk

HR All-American
Jan 23, 2007
Only time I was burned was Hurricane Sandy. What is it 10%? I am due to get burned one of these days. What is rule of thumb and best Company for it. Do you have to get within so many days of booking? Any deductibles.

Good question. Mrs. Herk is going to Mexico this winter and I bought it for the first time due to a couple issues that could derail her trip. I've always assumed the risk myself in the past. Anxious to hear some HROT experiences.

Mrs. Herk sure wants to see her friend Juan in Mexico. @McLovin32 , if I find out you're Juan, I'm gonna bill you for the insurance. Keep her smiling buddy. You're taking a lot of pressure off me. :rolleyes: That 4th time every day is really killing me. :mad:

Good question. Mrs. Herk is going to Mexico this winter and I bought it for the first time due to a couple issues that could derail her trip. I've always assumed the risk myself in the past. Anxious to hear some HROT experiences.

Mrs. Herk sure wants to see her friend Juan in Mexico. @McLovin32 , if I find out you're Juan, I'm gonna bill you for the insurance. Keep her smiling buddy. You're taking a lot of pressure off me. :rolleyes: That 4th time every day is really killing me. :mad:
You can make her smile by opening your wallet and sending her my way!;)

Are you talking trip protection type insurance or health insurance when you travel?

I've used World Nomads for health insurance during longer trips in southeast Asia - luckily never had to make a claim. Never have bothered for one to two week trips to Mexico and Europe. I probably should but just haven't bothered.

Reactions: Herkmeister
We always buy travel insurance, whether it's through trip sites like Apple, or Cheap Carib, or a travel agent. While it may seem pricey and unnecessary we find that there are to many uncertainties in travel not to have it. God forbid something would happen where we'd have to depart a vacation suddenly, but those things do happen and invariably you see it happen a lot. So, if we have that insurance and something does happen we know we are covered and will get another vacation out of the deal. Hasn't happened yet, but....

We always buy travel insurance, whether it's through trip sites like Apple, or Cheap Carib, or a travel agent. While it may seem pricey and unnecessary we find that there are to many uncertainties in travel not to have it. God forbid something would happen where we'd have to depart a vacation suddenly, but those things do happen and invariably you see it happen a lot. So, if we have that insurance and something does happen we know we are covered and will get another vacation out of the deal. Hasn't happened yet, but....

...you've already paid enough in "insurance" for another vacation....

Mostly a scam for people who overly worry about things.

Never buy it through the tour seller...double the price. Buy it separately. I use Travel Guard from AIG.

I never buy it and have never needed it. Can someone who has bought it and had to use it tell us their experience with it? Feels like it would be a pain in the ass getting your money from the insurance company.

Have never bought it but would seriously consider it for any future trips to the Caribbean. The sea is angry these days my friends...

I'd only consider it if traveling to a place where terrorist activities can be disruptive.
Most places either refund, or allow you to rebook in the event of hurricanes, etc.

The main other reason for it is health issues during a trip, and if you're younger/healthy, that's probably a waste as well (unless you're doing "extreme sports" on the trip).

You're only covered for specific things in the contract, so you cannot "just cancel for any reason" under most policies. Maybe the pricier ones.

>90% of the time, it's a waste of money; in certain circumstances or for some people, it can make a lot of sense.

Honestly for my clients the biggest claim is for flight issues due to weather. Especially if your travel dates are nonnegotiable. I had someone have to cancel a trip because weather stopped them from getting out of Omaha and Southwest could not rebook them for another week. The hotel charged a one night cancellation fee which was about $600. Going through Chicago I have had to personally use it for hotel because I missed the connection and couldn't get out until the next day. I generally sell Allianz. Travel guard is good too. Sometimes I sell the supplier insurance because for higher-priced trips it is usually cheaper. But make sure whatever you bye you get cash-back and not vouchers.

Good grief.

I would rather stay home than make a trip that I think needs to be insured

I think like many kinds of insurance, if you can feasibly absorb the blow financially, don't insure it. It does not pay over the long term. The insurance company has to make its money somehow.

Goodness, apparently I touched a nerve. To each their own. I'd rather spend the extra $50 on the insurance than lose the thousands in the event something were to happen.

I will say we only purchase insurance when taveling abroad. I've never bought it will traveling in the USA.

Only time I was burned was Hurricane Sandy. What is it 10%? I am due to get burned one of these days. What is rule of thumb and best Company for it. Do you have to get within so many days of booking? Any deductibles.
When I booked through travelocity or Expedia, the trip insurance only kicked in if you had a medically necessary reason to not go, supported by a written opinion of the doctor. It wasn't like you were buying a refundable ticket if the weather looked bad or you had something come up for work. Those tickets were 2 or 3 times as much. I'd read the fine print.

Goodness, apparently I touched a nerve. To each their own. I'd rather spend the extra $50 on the insurance than lose the thousands in the event something were to happen.

I will say we only purchase insurance when taveling abroad. I've never bought it will traveling in the USA.
$50 on a few thousand dollar vacation, is a good deal.

Similar to cell phone insurance. We have a healthy savings account, so we self insure. I'd rather pay myself than an insurance company.

As you get older, you start to think of such things. We were purchasing trip insurance for our individual (longer) trips but discovered for less money throughout the year, we could purchase annual trip policies that cover even our weekend trips in the U.S. We use Roam Right...

Reactions: 3boysmom
My partner's parents are pretty fragile medically so that can, and has, interrupted a trip. We did not have the insurance for that one...

I think like many kinds of insurance, if you can feasibly absorb the blow financially, don't insure it. It does not pay over the long term. The insurance company has to make its money somehow.

Exactly; if it's hurricane season and a honeymoon or special travel event, insurance can make a lot of sense. Normally, probably a waste of money.

Using it for the first time for our trip in November. Why the change? Now that we're retired we don't have the cash flow we once did to pay off a big medical bill.

Insurance does strike a nerve. The cost of "piece of mind" is incredible. Best Buy makes something like 40% of their profits off their warranties

$50 for an international trip is not what I was thinking though.... that seems quite reasonable. Much different than $300 to insure my $1,000 TV

Insurance does strike a nerve. The cost of "piece of mind" is incredible. Best Buy makes something like 40% of their profits off their warranties

$50 for an international trip is not what I was thinking though.... that seems quite reasonable. Much different than $300 to insure my $1,000 TV
Right, I didn't explain my thinking. Strictly a one trip deal and not something I pay for on a yearly basis. Now that you mention it I wonder what OP was asking about.

As for whether you should buy it, depends entirely upon the individual situation.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Exactly; if it's hurricane season and a honeymoon or special travel event, insurance can make a lot of sense. Normally, probably a waste of money.
But if there is a hurricane is that a covered event for the insurance?

But if there is a hurricane is that a covered event for the insurance?

A: depends on the policy (generally is)
B: Most hotels and airlines already have a policy in place for events such as hurricanes.

With trip insurance, you can recoup cash; with regular hotel and airfare, they EITHER will refund fully, or will apply 100% of your payment to another flight/hotel during a different time. And in events like hurricanes, airlines will also waive any added 'change fees'.

Thus, the value of many trip insurance policies isn't all that great, aside from personal reasons for cancellations.

A: depends on the policy (generally is)
B: Most hotels and airlines already have a policy in place for events such as hurricanes.

With trip insurance, you can recoup cash; with regular hotel and airfare, they EITHER will refund fully, or will apply 100% of your payment to another flight/hotel during a different time. And in events like hurricanes, airlines will also waive any added 'change fees'.

Thus, the value of many trip insurance policies isn't all that great, aside from personal reasons for cancellations.
Yes I agree. My conclusion was that really the least unlikely covered event would be illness where travel is impermissible as prescribed by a doctor, or jury duty. Both of which are remote - hence the cheapness of the policies.

Yes I agree. My conclusion was that really the least unlikely covered event would be illness where travel is impermissible as prescribed by a doctor, or jury duty. Both of which are remote - hence the cheapness of the policies.

Jury duty is a 'red herring' issue for insurance; if you're traveling, or have travel plans, you simply defer to another time.

Last time I was called for jury duty, I had work travel, and San Diego simply pushed me back a couple weeks and I went in then.

The primary reason for travel insurance is health reasons. The cheaper the policy, the more likely it's really a waste of money - at least for most people.

As you get older, you start to think of such things. We were purchasing trip insurance for our individual (longer) trips but discovered for less money throughout the year, we could purchase annual trip policies that cover even our weekend trips in the U.S. We use Roam Right...

I agree. Now that I'm old and hurt all time I think it's a good idea. Plus Mrs. Herk's mom is in her 90's and I have no doubt she's croak at the worse possible time and do it on purpose. :mad::mad::mad:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT