ADVERTISEMENT

Exercise Plan for Out of Shape People

I've never been much of a workout person, but I've always managed to keep my weight in check although it would routinely have 20 lb swings. However as I'm getting older, and especially after going through cancer recovery and now trying to work full time and do grad school at night, I've gained an extremely large amount of weight and am at least 40 lbs heavier than I should be if not more. I get winded simply walking now, everything hurts (Probably from sitting all day), and I've got to do something. I've never been over 230 before and the scale had me at 245 the other day.

I've got to do something, but everytime I try to start I wind up injuring myself somehow. So I realize maybe I need to start slower, trying to go straight to running a 5K isn't the best option. I'd like something that I can actually stick too (Going to a gym right now and working out with a trainer just isn't going to happen due to time and money) and often I can't stick with a routine. So I'm looking for something I can easily do at home, that's not likely to injure me, and something I can stick to for 30 days or so until I regain cardio, get some weight off, and start feeling better at which point I think I can likely push for something a bit more strenuous.

So, any recommendations on what someone in my condition should consider?
I'm jumping in a little late here, but after my issue with my ribs, I was reduced to cardio exercises only.

I got into a routine of walking on a treadmill for 15+ minutes, and then over to an Elliptical machine for a little more strenuous workout.

It's very light maintenance and you can set your own pace.

I go a little faster on both because I can handle that speed, but for starters you can set your own pace and work up as you get more comfortable.

But that all pales in comparison to your diet. You can spend an hour walking and running in place on the machines, but if your diet sucks, you're just gonna be running in circles for lack of a better term.

Figure out a plan for your diet first and foremost.....and then build your workout routine around that.

Intermittent fasting. Restricted calories. Daily exercise. Mindfulness meditation (esp vipassana meditation). Reams of data on ALL of it.

nothing helps mental clarity and mood more than when you feel the ketones - way better than coffee. Why do you think that all major religions have fasting and meditation/prayer as the highest form of devotion and when you receive clarity and or revelation?

in a word: don’t eat breakfast. It’ll take 2-3 weeks to get used to.

intermittent fasting and eating vegetarian mainly will add 8 years to your life based on recent studies. This article summarizes it.

TONS of resources out there on brain, mood, weight loss, anti cancer, anti inflammatory benefits of low added sugar (but higher good, complex carbs, good fats, good veggie protein)

It’s my bday today. I’m 52. Most people think I’m 35. I fit into the same suit I wore in high school. I’ve been on restricted calories for 20 years, mostly vegetarian, and intermittent fasting for 10. not bragging, just saying that it works like nothing else. If I didn’t do it, my depression and anxiety would overwhelm me. It’s my substitute for meds. Sometimes I binge or slack, but it makes me feel much worse, and I get back into the regimen because my mood is so much better. It has saved my life. Many many times. Really.

I've never been much of a workout person, but I've always managed to keep my weight in check although it would routinely have 20 lb swings. However as I'm getting older, and especially after going through cancer recovery and now trying to work full time and do grad school at night, I've gained an extremely large amount of weight and am at least 40 lbs heavier than I should be if not more. I get winded simply walking now, everything hurts (Probably from sitting all day), and I've got to do something. I've never been over 230 before and the scale had me at 245 the other day.

I've got to do something, but everytime I try to start I wind up injuring myself somehow. So I realize maybe I need to start slower, trying to go straight to running a 5K isn't the best option. I'd like something that I can actually stick too (Going to a gym right now and working out with a trainer just isn't going to happen due to time and money) and often I can't stick with a routine. So I'm looking for something I can easily do at home, that's not likely to injure me, and something I can stick to for 30 days or so until I regain cardio, get some weight off, and start feeling better at which point I think I can likely push for something a bit more strenuous.

I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

If you want to do it at home I'd get a Beach Body subscription. Follow those workouts. There is beginner workouts up to advanced. A ton to choose from. Girlfriend has a subscription and I've used it from time to time.

That's only half the battle though. You have to control you diet. I chose intermittent fasting a few years ago. 12-8 is my window. A couple of cups of black coffee and not eating is a walk the the park until lunch. It's the after 8 that always gets me. Especially this time of year.

The point being that I probably work out 3/4 times a week. Treadmill, stationary bike, weights and could still lose 20 lbs. I love a smash burger, tater tots, and rum and Coke to f'ing much 🤣

All of that said if you have an indoor pool or outdoor pool (in season), start swimming laps. Talk about an ass kicking workout that is probably one of the easiest on your body.

Last edited:
51FYSAAWCDL._AC_SY445_.jpg

I'm jumping in a little late here, but after my issue with my ribs, I was reduced to cardio exercises only.

I got into a routine of walking on a treadmill for 15+ minutes, and then over to an Elliptical machine for a little more strenuous workout.

It's very light maintenance and you can set your own pace.

I go a little faster on both because I can handle that speed, but for starters you can set your own pace and work up as you get more comfortable.

But that all pales in comparison to your diet. You can spend an hour walking and running in place on the machines, but if your diet sucks, you're just gonna be running in circles for lack of a better term.

Figure out a plan for your diet first and foremost.....and then build your workout routine around that.
What happened to your ribs?

What happened to your ribs?
There was an issue with at least one of my ribs on my right side where it slid out of place and was restricting my lung from expanding properly. (I now know its my rib/s because when I lay down and do the hip stretch where you cross one leg over while trying to keep flat on your back, I can feel a poking pain where my rib is digging into my side)

I also had and continue to have pain along the sides of my sternum, which they think is costochondritis.

When I tilt my head up and lean back a ways to stretch my chest (not overstretching), and then exhale while pushing my chest out, I'll get a nice pain and occasionally a pop in my lower sternum. On days or instances where things feel out of place and my breathing is a little more shallow, I don't get that pain or popping in my chest, so I now have to resort to doing that "stretch" every once in a while, as a test, just to make sure things are still somewhat in place...........if that makes sense (because it doesn't to me).

It's been a long year and a half of getting through those issues, and while my breathing pattern is still off and my lung/chest wall still doesn't expand 100% normally, it is definitely much better today compared to how debilitating it was back when this first started.

1. Consider downloading an app that will record your activity (strava, etc.)
2. Consider this a long term endeavor that won't necessarily show much fruit in the first week or two.
3. Re: aerobic activity, just start by walking or cycling. I would recommend 4-5 days a week of "structured" activity; it is important as you get older to take your rest/recovery days. Consider 2 days of "standard" duration and pace, 1 day of long duration and lower pace, 1 day of standard duration and brisker pace, and 1 day of shorter duration and recovery pace.
4. Add 5% each week to your total work duration volume.
5. Stretch daily.

Also: get fit in the gym, get thin in the kitchen.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
I actually have pretty big shoulders and what not. 142 and I would probably die. If I get to anywhere in the 180s I will be pretty lean. I got down to 174 when I was vegan for a while, and I didn’t look well.
230 is a healthy weight for me at 6’2.

I play tennis once or twice a week, but the bulk of my exercise is just walking 3-6miles (maybe twice a week).

For real cardio, I'll put the treadmill on the highest incline setting and walk at a pace (currently 3.4mph) that gets me to a fairly consistent heartrate of about 140bpm. And I'll do it anywhere from a half hour to an hour. I do this once or twice a week. Obviously, it takes time to get your body in shape to handle higher incline and speed settings. I would prefer to just jog instead, but my knees and feet don't take too kindly to a 5-mile run anymore.

For diet, I just try to reduce my stupid carbs and really focus on high-fiber foods (apples and blackberries are great).

Joking aside, if I am trying to cut weight I limit carbs, beer, rice, bread, potatoes, etc. I am 52 and have dropped 30 lbs. mostly due to stress ( which I don't recommend). Meat, salad and other veggies. If you want pasta or bread, go for high fiber options which are available and delicious.
This. I got put on the diabetes diet in Jan.. I was 255 lbs. at the time. On a 6-3 frame. I gave up the pop, the bread, the pasta cut portions etc.. I have a bad back so I'm not what you'd call a workout warrior. But I have been able to get down to 217 lbs. And I am now doing physical therapy to help with my back. So less carbs, more veggies, smaller portions. If you would of told me that I could of done it 8 months ago, I'd of said you were crazy. But it is possible. Good luck!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT