ADVERTISEMENT

Traveling through the I380/I-80 interchange? Major changes coming Friday

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001

Drivers traveling south on Interstate 380 should be prepared for a significant change Friday morning as an old ramp closes and a new flyover ramp opens — a big milestone for the massive reconstruction of the Interstates 80 and 380 interchange.

The existing loop that connected I-380 southbound to I-80 eastbound will close permanently as the new flyover ramp opens. The exit toward I-80 eastbound will now be about half a mile earlier on I-380.

This is the last of the loop ramps to close within the interchange, and it is the second flyover ramp to open. The flyover ramp uses a new, elevated bridge.

Advertisement

“The safety hazard with the loops is what was driving the whole project in the first place, and the last one will finally be gone,” said Hugh Holak, resident construction engineer with the Iowa Department of Transportation.

Holak said the Iowa DOT anticipates some initial confusion with the exit toward I-80 eastbound — Exit 0A toward Iowa City — being about half a mile earlier.

For drivers, that means the exit toward Iowa City will now be before the exit for I-80 westbound. The westbound exit — Exit OB toward Des Moines — will remain in the same location.

“This is going to be one of our more confusing moves because by the time you realize you've missed (the exit), you’ve missed it by three-quarters of a mile,” Holak said.

“Once traffic gets used to this move, it shouldn't be a real issue at all anymore,” he added.

For those who miss the exit, the Iowa DOT suggests using Exit OB, to the west, to detour to Ireland Avenue, which is Exit 237 on I-80. Motorists can also detour south to Melrose Avenue, which is Exit 93. An online map shows the two detours that can be used to turn around.

Daily News​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox every day

Signs will be changed overnight to help drivers navigate the changes. There also will be extra law enforcement to help out with any confusion, Holak said.

“The first day is likely to overpopulate Melrose,” Holak said. “By Monday, it should be fine. Everybody will know where they're going.”

The work is part of a $387 million interchange project, which is at the junction of I-80, I-380 and Highway 218 in Johnson County. It is one of Iowa Department of Transportation’s top priorities.

The project is in its fourth year of construction. The multiyear project will replace all four loops of the interchange with directional ramps. Additionally, parts of I-380 north of I-80 and parts of Highway 218 south of I-80 will be widened, as will I-80 on both sides of the interchange.

Work on the interchange project is expected to continue through 2024, with final erosion control expected in 2025.

Monster of an interchange. Went through it yesterday southbound on I-380 for the first time in months. Several electronic signs miles before the interchange warning drivers of the new off ramp to I-80 eastbound going into effect Friday. I bet it won’t be as bad as they think.

Monster of an interchange. Went through it yesterday southbound on I-380 for the first time in months. Several electronic signs miles before the interchange warning drivers of the new off ramp to I-80 eastbound going into effect Friday. I bet it won’t be as bad as they think.
You give too much credit to drivers, I think. Too many of them have the body engaged but the brain shut off.

Can you imagine 65-75 year old, out of State travelers navigating that cluster$&#@?

White knuckle traveling.

Can you imagine 65-75 year old, out of State travelers navigating that cluster$&#@?

White knuckle traveling.
That interchange is not the least bit complicated - Just going to take time for creatures of habit to get used to exiting quite a bit earlier than in the past. When all is said and done, it will be 1000x better than the old clover-leaf ramps.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
The locals will learn and transition rather quickly to the new design, the out-of-towners will struggle if they're not paying attention.

WOTS is the interchange at 1st Avenue/I-80 in Coralville is next in line for a design change. Endless construction.

The 55 MPH signs are obviously just a suggestion…
Yeah, I always wondered why the hiway patrol didn't heavily patrol that neck of the woods. Most people were probably going 20 over, and in a construction zone, the fines could have been amazing. I figure the officers didn't want to run the risk of death to be on the road side writing tickets.

The locals will learn and transition rather quickly to the new design, the out-of-towners will struggle if they're not paying attention.

WOTS is the interchange at 1st Avenue/I-80 in Coralville is next in line for a design change. Endless construction.
Yeah, that was announced last month:

I wonder if Google maps and other wayfinding apps have the new updated route. Lots of people just follow what the app tells them.

Going on 2 weeks and nobody has died in that interchange, shockingly. I am not liking my chances on the southbound 380 to eastbound 80 maneuver in a Winter storm.
It's a pretty messed up interchange right now, and I don't know when they will finish it. As you exit southbound to eastbound you go onto some asphalt they laid across packed dirt as far as I can tell. It's bumpy AF, and part of it the grade is downward as the road curves to the right. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Going on 2 weeks and nobody has died in that interchange, shockingly. I am not liking my chances on the southbound 380 to eastbound 80 maneuver in a Winter storm.
It's a pretty messed up interchange right now, and I don't know when they will finish it. As you exit southbound to eastbound you go onto some asphalt they laid across packed dirt as far as I can tell. It's bumpy AF, and part of it the grade is downward as the road curves to the right. It's an accident waiting to happen.
tracee ellis ross slow your roll GIF by ABC Network

Minor rant, but the Evergreen Road ramps are so nice and long, it's like people have no idea how to use them. Nothing but lollygaggers when I'm on 380. I see them just rolling down the ramps at 58 mph without a care in the world.

Minor rant, but the Evergreen Road ramps are so nice and long, it's like people have no idea how to use them. Nothing but lollygaggers when I'm on 380. I see them just rolling down the ramps at 58 mph without a care in the world.
Your Lamborghini is strained huh? First world problems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT