ADVERTISEMENT

Tristian Wirfs Hang Clean

Waynes%20World%20Gif.gif

I know the guys here are joking, but anybody that sees that set and (seriously) mentions straps is stupid AF.

Yup. I was just referring back to whichever of the ISU studs poopooed Scherff's accomplishments because they didn't use straps. The straps had nothing to do with the lift in either case but Clowns gotta clown.

Actually, the scouting experts will grade him out as one of the weaker OL in his class since he’ll have a “substandard” rep total in the useless bench press drill.

Agreed the scouts will likely place more emphasis on bench reps, or some other random item, but I can't imagine a guy that can hang clean 450 for reps not hitting at least 25 or 30 reps of 225 on the bench. I guess it's possible, just seems that there would be a fair amount of translation of that power into bench press.

He was sometimes out of position last year, caught in a bad flow on running plays. I like Amani and hope he contends for the MLB spot in 2019. The dude hits like a truck.

I'm hoping so, I hope something just clicks for him from a positioning and decisioning stand point and he steps up big.

Also hope he does just so we can have posters foolishly calling out the staff for not playing him more this past season.

Absolutely not. Too good a defensive hitter. By fall kickoff he will have had more time to prepare for the Big Ten season. First or second at MLB, he has too much potential.
You can't hit when you read and run to the wrong gap everytime.

He is a SR, I think he has had plenty of time.

Some players shine in their senior year. Don't give up on a guy because he hasn't started as a junior.

Lest we not forget Quinton Alston in '14, Cole Fisher back in '15, and Jack Hockaday in '18 ... it's more than possible for a veteran guy to earn a spot and play solid ball as a SR. These players are not "disposable" ... they're valuable ... and the coaches don't forget the blood, sweat, and tears that they dedicate to the program (even if some fans do).

Yup. I was just referring back to whichever of the ISU studs poopooed Scherff's accomplishments because they didn't use straps. The straps had nothing to do with the lift in either case but Clowns gotta clown.
yep. I know dude. Its the first thing I thought too when I saw the video. Laughable.

Wow. . That video is awesome and every recruit should see that on multiple levels. First, Obviously the strength. Second, the reaction of the teammates was crazy. Third, shows Kirk will play freshman as Wirfs was a couple years ago and see what he has become in the program. Fourth, a former Iowa Outland trophy winner who was a top 10 pick and NFL pro bowler still paying attention to his alma mater. Shows a family environment. Last, I heard that Psycho Twin ISU idiot who is a psycho and obsessed and jealous of big brother posting on CF about “straps.” What a loser. Let’s make Witfs our 3rd Outland Trophy winner and top 10 OL draft choice under the Captain and once again show we are OL (and TE) U!

Reactions: BronxHawkeye
Slightly off-topic, but I went into that Brockermeyer profile and they showed his highlight films. OMG! Every single play he throws his guy to the ground and then lands on him. Every. Single. play. If you haven’t clicked through and watched his highlights, I highly recommend them to you.

What a hoot! After awhile I was thinking that he didn’t care so much what went on in the backfield, because he was playing a slightly different game: “What will it take to throw this guy on the ground and land on top of him?” Some of those take-downs might have been after the whistle, so other teams must hate that guy.

Get this guy on the bus!

Slightly off-topic, but I went into that Brockermeyer profile and they showed his highlight films. OMG! Every single play he throws his guy to the ground and then lands on him. Every. Single. play. If you haven’t clicked through and watched his highlights, I highly recommend them to you.

What a hoot! After awhile I was thinking that he didn’t care so much what went on in the backfield, because he was playing a slightly different game: “What will it take to throw this guy on the ground and land on top of him?” Some of those take-downs might have been after the whistle, so other teams must hate that guy.

Get this guy on the bus!
There’s two Brockermeyers OL and iowa has offered both. the dad is a coach at SMU and played OL in the league for a while. They have another brother playing at Texas so I think it’s a long shot to get them.

I was kinda 50/50 on the video. Cool he can finish the block but he would shove them down again as he was getting up after the play was over half the time. Works when you are bigger than everyone but won’t work when you aren’t the chief anymore.

Wow. . That video is awesome and every recruit should see that on multiple levels. First, Obviously the strength. Second, the reaction of the teammates was crazy. Third, shows Kirk will play freshman as Wirfs was a couple years ago and see what he has become in the program. Fourth, a former Iowa Outland trophy winner who was a top 10 pick and NFL pro bowler still paying attention to his alma mater. Shows a family environment. Last, I heard that Psycho Twin ISU idiot who is a psycho and obsessed and jealous of big brother posting on CF about “straps.” What a loser. Let’s make Witfs our 3rd Outland Trophy winner and top 10 OL draft choice under the Captain and once again show we are OL (and TE) U!

Yeah the culture of the program is as cool to me as the great effort/strength by Wirfs. That is what you want as a player, where everyone is committed to getting better and teammates recognize accomplishments. When guys break position or room records, everyone knows what that means because they have a respect for those who have gone before them. You can't fake that level of excitement and camraderie.

Dodger - I agree 100 percent. Funny how I sent that video out to a bunch of people and almost universally the first thing they responded with was how cool the teammates response was not even what Wirfs actually did. And seeing Brandon Scherff, a NFL All Pro, following along that is the family environment way Kirk preaches.

I'm guessing ANYONE would get some anxiety trying to provide run support with #74 in the immediate vicinity.

I’ve watched that video 10-15 times now and still get fired up watching it. First of all, that is just incredible. Second of all, seeing his teammates screaming and cheering him in is one of many reasons I miss playing the sport. Also, it’s hard not to be excited about that young mans future as a Hawkeye and beyond.

Reactions: BronxHawkeye
Some players shine in their senior year. Don't give up on a guy because he hasn't started as a junior.
This is true, but its usually because they've been hurt alot or behind other really good players. Jones had it laid out in front of him last year, and he struggled. Hope he does well though...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT