ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Looking to Divert $6.1 Billion From Military to Build Wall

Do a bit of research. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama declared more national emergencies than Reagan, HW, W and Trump combined.

I meant for when they declare an emergency beyond the powers of the act which is very specific about what can be an emergency. All of these that were challenged were upheld. Trump has even renewed many of them because they expire after a year. So yeah I’ve done the research.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Alaska....Congress gave my President the money he needed for his wall a couple of years ago but he refused it. What the military does is their business..and in their budgets to get it done. We are fighting an avowed enemy of this nation in the ME. Not so in the American SW. Plus the President is taking resources away from the military to finance this fiasco.
How freakin’ stupid can you be to believe the lies mt President is feeding you daily? Obviously, your critical thinking skills are lacking.
LOL

I am continually amused by the assumptions made on this board.

Obama was "My" President as much as Trump is "My" President despite the fact I didn't vote for either one of them; I didn't support most of Obama's policies, but I respect him as a person, father, husband and President. Trump is a clown; however, I do support some of what he's done. I support a wall, but not in the way the MAGA goons do.

Regardless, I enjoy knee-jerk meme's. They get results.

Reactions: RTM58
Thats what 5-4 is for.

Thorne,

You know damn well that when the rubber hits the road, you guys won’t be able to enforce any new radical gun laws. Liberals are generally feminine men that are afraid of guns. Who is going to enforce the liberal radical laws?

Thorne,

You know damn well that when the rubber hits the road, you guys won’t be able to enforce any new radical gun laws. Liberals are generally feminine men that are afraid of guns. Who is going to enforce the liberal radical laws?

Certainly not afraid of guns but rather the idiots who are carrying guns. Remember, guns don't kill, nut jobs like you do.

Reactions: cigaretteman
People are carrying every day and you don’t have the slightest clue who they are.

Exactly, and that's a concern. Unless someone is a police office or living in a crime area, there's no need to be carrying a gun. If you are, then you're probably a little off and shouldn't have a gun.

Thorne,

Think you got the wrong guy. Unless there's another Thorne around which would annoy me.

Conservatives would have busted a blood vessel if Obama tried to do this, even if it was for a wall... SIAP, did a search on Shanahan... As an aside, I imagine the "narcotics" funding is Coast Guard in the war on drugs. So, more drug trafficking will shift to the ocean as Trump is building a wall.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/16/us/sec-shanahan-border-funding/index.html
(CNN)Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said, beginning Sunday, he will start studying which projects military money may come from to shift funds toward a border wall following President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration.

Trump on Friday declared a national emergency to secure federal funds to build a wall on the southern border, bypassing Congress after lawmakers refused to meet his multi-billion dollar request for border wall funds.

The administration has said $2.5 billion of military narcotics funding and $3.6 billion in military construction money will be diverted to the wall. But Shanahan will have final say on how much will be taken from which programs.
A military official said Shanahan is likely to approve the $3.6 billion figure.

IMAGINE how much healthcare we could all have, if Obama had declared a fake national emergency and diverted military $$ for free/subsidized healthcare for all.....

:eek:

Exactly, and that's a concern. Unless someone is a police office or living in a crime area, there's no need to be carrying a gun. If you are, then you're probably a little off and shouldn't have a gun.

Who are you to determine the need?

You should be thankful that good people, responsible gunowners, are concelaed carrying. Once again, while you don’t even have the slightest clue.

That way they can prevent a tragic incident from unfolding while you hide under the table sucking your thumb.

Conservatives would have busted a blood vessel if Obama tried to do this, even if it was for a wall... SIAP, did a search on Shanahan... As an aside, I imagine the "narcotics" funding is Coast Guard in the war on drugs. So, more drug trafficking will shift to the ocean as Trump is building a wall.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/16/us/sec-shanahan-border-funding/index.html
(CNN)Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said, beginning Sunday, he will start studying which projects military money may come from to shift funds toward a border wall following President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration.

Trump on Friday declared a national emergency to secure federal funds to build a wall on the southern border, bypassing Congress after lawmakers refused to meet his multi-billion dollar request for border wall funds.

The administration has said $2.5 billion of military narcotics funding and $3.6 billion in military construction money will be diverted to the wall. But Shanahan will have final say on how much will be taken from which programs.
A military official said Shanahan is likely to approve the $3.6 billion figure.

I 100% agree that conservatives would have busted a blood vessel if Obama took military funding to finance ACA or any other campaign promise.

Reactions: NoleATL
I assumed you had no point and that were you just parroting a headline, but to your "point", the reason for a wall along the Canadian border.

Drugs and terrorists coming from the southern border are much more an concern than Canadians or terrorists coming across from the northern border. That said the wall which costs 0.12% of the national budget or 1% of the military budget is just supposed to lessen the flow of people walking across our southern border unaccounted for. If it lessens the transportation of drugs or terrorist that would just be considered a welcome bonus.

Some actual numbers:

Distribution of Border Patrol seizures ALL substance
Southern Border: 1,555,552 lbs (99%)
Eastern and Western Coastal Borders: 8,054 lbs (.5%)
Northern Border: 905 lbs (.05%)
Nationwide Total: 1,564,511 lbs.

fzhpkq.jpg

I'm guessing neither terrorists coming from Canada or brown people coming across to work for Trump are an existential threat, but I would chose terrorist in your red herring of a question.

Covered previously, but fewer than 800 people have illegally crossed from Canada into the U.S. annually over the past five years, compared to hundreds of thousands apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border. If a terrorist wanted to be successful you would go with the 500k people walking across the southern border last year. And the border patrol says many crossers are from countries other than South America. So the concern that terrorists might attempt a crossing at the southern border is more than a scene in Sicario, which was great movie.
LINKY

I think the wall was one of a number of reasons people voted for him and I don't think they care who pays for it, but you are welcome to that opinion.

The Canadian invasion is real, lots of grape smugglers and banana hammocks.

f171411m.jpg

Border Patrol swarm:
http://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/lakeworthinlet/pics/v18/feb1719a/f171404a.mp4

I have yet to hear one person point out that Trump asked for $800M in humanitarian aid at the southern border in his compromise... and Capitol Hill responded (with the deal that was just approved) by cutting that humanitarian aid by 50%.
So . . . if we legalize pot, how much does that reduce the need for a wall?

Because we should definitely legalize pot. And that sounds like yet another argument (of many) for doing so.

Disaster victims should have insurance.
I agree. And this will become a huge problem for America as climate change continues to ramp up.

So what do we do about people who should have insurance but don't?

And what do we do about those in vulnerable areas who increasingly find they can't afford insurance any more?

This is a problem we ARE going to have to address in the not-too-distant future.

I am not saying you are a nut job, norther,,,,,but people with guns use them to kill other people.

Which is why you need a gun for self defense. Sorry Joel, the bad guys aren’t turning theirs in.

And coffee pots don’t always work.

Thorne,

If a president can declare an emergency, are there parameters for such emergencies? I wouldn't celebrate yet. This is unchartered territory. The Orange Turd is tearing the scab off a wound that hasn't been experienced. Not good for anyone, and the Reptiles know it.

So . . . if we legalize pot, how much does that reduce the need for a wall?

Because we should definitely legalize pot. And that sounds like yet another argument (of many) for doing so.

Legalize away. None as it's not the goal of the wall just a bonus.

I am not saying you are a nut job, norther,,,,,but people with guns use them to kill other people.

Mostly themselves and a few other people.

IMAGINE how much healthcare we could all have, if Obama had declared a fake national emergency and diverted military $$ for free/subsidized healthcare for all.....

If it were the same amount, about a day and 5 hours worth.

Who are you to determine the need?

You should be thankful that good people, responsible gunowners, are concelaed carrying. Once again, while you don’t even have the slightest clue.

That way they can prevent a tragic incident from unfolding while you hide under the table sucking your thumb.

I can tell by the way you write this, you don't even believe yourself.

Can't say I've been in a situation where someone has pulled out a gun to save me or someone around me. Lately it seems the guy who pulls out a gun to try and help will get shot. So how many bad people have you shot, or are you just another nut dreamer that walks around hope to find someone to shoot.

Just because I don't want nut jobs like you to carry a gun, it doesn't mean I'm against guns. I own a couple of guns myself. I just don't feel the need to act tough by carrying a hand gun around. I sure it makes you feel like a big man. Actually it shows just how weak of a person you really are.

Why are libs becoming insane over the wall? You all claim the wall will not be effective, so if that is true, you should not be mad. Caring about how much it costs, that is nonsense, we are talking about amounts here that are rounding error in the budget. The fraud in most government programs is MORE than this. So that tells me that your obsession over a wall, is because you know it will work, and you desperately want poor people to come to this country. I personally want the best immigrants from the world, not the poor.

You are correct about the money.

However If Trump gets away with this - ultimately - it’s a bad precedent. One could foresee a liberal president declaring a national emergency after a mass shooting and taking steps to ban guns. Before you claim some constitutional BS, save it. What the Pres is attempting to do is as unconstitutional as it gets.

But for some reason the Cons currently don’t care about the constitution.

I can tell by the way you write this, you don't even believe yourself.

Can't say I've been in a situation where someone has pulled out a gun to save me or someone around me. Lately it seems the guy who pulls out a gun to try and help will get shot. So how many bad people have you shot, or are you just another nut dreamer that walks around hope to find someone to shoot.

Just because I don't want nut jobs like you to carry a gun, it doesn't mean I'm against guns. I own a couple of guns myself. I just don't feel the need to act tough by carrying a hand gun around. I sure it makes you feel like a big man. Actually it shows just how weak of a person you really are.

Are you drinking?

You said:
“Can't say I've been in a situation where someone has pulled out a gun to save me or someone around me. “

You do realize it only takes one time, right?

Again, why are you so fired up about others carrying a gun? You don't even know they are carrying and yet you’re hyperventilating over the mere thought of it.

Are you drinking?

You said:
“Can't say I've been in a situation where someone has pulled out a gun to save me or someone around me. “

You do realize it only takes one time, right?

Again, why are you so fired up about others carrying a gun? You don't even know they are carrying and yet you’re hyperventilating over the mere thought of it.

You sure like to make assumptions and make extreme comments.

I'm not fired up or hyperventilating, I just don't like idiots carrying guns because they think they're going to save someone. Chances are I probably will have a better chance of being killed by the idiot rather than them saving me. It's just stupid for a normal citizen to feel the need to carry a gun.

I have no sympathy for the average citizen who pulls out their gun and gets shot by police. That's the risk you take.

You sure like to make assumptions and make extreme comments.

I'm not fired up or hyperventilating, I just don't like idiots carrying guns because they think they're going to save someone. Chances are I probably will have a better chance of being killed by the idiot rather than them saving me. It's just stupid for a normal citizen to feel the need to carry a gun.

I have no sympathy for the average citizen who pulls out their gun and gets shot by police. That's the risk you take.

Speaking of making assumptions and extreme comments, that pretty much sums up your work in this thread.

I remember the days when cons thought Obama had an executive order problem and an abuse of power issue.

No problem with Trump, though. Whatever edict King Trump wants to issue is good for the Kingdom. So help us God if the Supreme Court rules in this a-hole's favor. Clear, and I mean crystal fuggin' clear, violation of any reasonably sane, conservative interpretation of the Constitution.

This shit continues, and Republicans continue to stand by idly and smile sheepishly, there should be about a total of 8 reps and senators combined in 2021 who have an R attached to their name in Congress.
As President and Commander in Chief pretty sure he has the authority to direct the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to build the wall.

As President and Commander in Chief pretty sure he has the authority to direct the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to build the wall.

Right, the same authority Obama had.

But I suppose it's different since Obama had a "D" attached to his name and not the all-important "R" that makes executive privilege more palatable.

Speaking of making assumptions and extreme comments, that pretty much sums up your work in this thread.

I haven't made any extreme comments. It's pretty simple, anyone carrying a gun is more dangerous than if they weren't carrying a gun. So the more people who have guns means it's more dangerous.

Right, the same authority Obama had.

But I suppose it's different since Obama had a "D" attached to his name and not the all-important "R" that makes executive privilege more palatable.
I supported Obama when he said we needed to build more wall and secure the southern border.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT