ADVERTISEMENT

Trump on Education

whatsup13579er

HR Legend
Oct 13, 2015
Saw today he signed an EO aimed at Education. Anyone care to fill me in on what it means? Is this the end of common core? More local control?

He signed an EO that would limit federal involvement in education. So basically he signed something into law that nearly all teachers wanted when NCLB was being enacted.

Saw today he signed an EO aimed at Education. Anyone care to fill me in on what it means? Is this the end of common core? More local control?

Looks like it will swing the door open for more Kitzmiller vs Dover, PA cases.
Fantastic use of local resources that will be...

From what I've seen the last few years in my little slice of heaven, total local control of schools is the last thing we need more of. Well, unless they truly are going to allow kids to go to any school they want.

Actual quote from someone at a community meeting about the local school a couple of years ago "If we educate our kids too well, they'll leave". Which brought a surprising amount of cheers and "you tell 'ems". Yeah, I want those people deciding the educational direction my kids' school receives.

Oh, and FTR, that was the day we decided to open enroll our twins out.

From what I've seen the last few years in my little slice of heaven, total local control of schools is the last thing we need more of. Well, unless they truly are going to allow kids to go to any school they want.

Actual quote from someone at a community meeting about the local school a couple of years ago "If we educate our kids too well, they'll leave". Which brought a surprising amount of cheers and "you tell 'ems". Yeah, I want those people deciding the educational direction my kids' school receives.

Oh, and FTR, that was the day we decided to open enroll our twins out.

Depending where you're at that might be a pretty accurate observation. Can almost respect the honesty.

Isn't common core a state program? People talk like its Washington imposing know it all policy on the poor students, but I've read on here thats not anywhere close to the reality. Past debates on this topic have led me to believe that only fools are against common core which probably means Trump is against it.

I am in the camp of the 2002 teachers that were against program's like NCLB and more for state control of education. We were less politicly insane during that time and had much clearer heads.

National standards only work to water down high performing schools while not really doing anything to pull up the low performers...the results show federal involvement isn't really working.

That doesn't mean education will automatically get better w this EO being signed but rather states will now have the ability to better manage their education systems and that is good bc they are not removed from reality like those in DC (yeah, I know, but Kentucky and Alabama...yadda yadda).

Reactions: Boris_Badenov
Maybe he thinks he can win the popular vote in 2020 if he eliminates education. ..thus making EVERYONE deplorable.
Hillary won the college educated vote by, depending on which exit polls you trust, a whopping margin of 2-5 points.

Stupid talking point is stupid.

Reactions: unIowa
Maybe he thinks he can win the popular vote in 2020 if he eliminates education. ..thus making EVERYONE deplorable.

You do realize you just insulted education professionals all across the nation...right???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT