ADVERTISEMENT

Trump vows to find compromise on abortion

Seems to think that both sides can agree on a 15 week ban. Why in the name of all that’s holy would the left agree to that? It gives them absolutely nothing, unless the right agrees to a prohibition on restrictions before that point, a non-starter for the right.

As this article points out, there can be no consensus or compromise on this issue. Neither side will accept it. Politically, as a leftist, I would like to see a proposal from Democrats for a 15 week hard cut off. A ban after that with a robust exception for life and a prohibition on restrictions prior to that. It would be a non starter but would rightfully paint the Republicans as the extremists on this, which they are.

I don’t believe very many on either side would be happy with 15 weeks. For decades 14 weeks was legal everywhere, with 15 to 28 weeks up to the states.

The right has bullied it’s way to getting courts stacked in their favor, and Roe overturned. They are winning and have zero motivation to compromise. Those of us on the left wouldn’t take a deal on abortion, because we know the right will throw it away first chance they get.

Last polling I saw on this said that I er 70% of Americans agreed with some sort of 15 week ban, so to answer your question...the left wouldn't agree to that, however the moderate Democrats would.

Only a pro-life organization would ever poll that kind of number. Last legitimate poll I saw said 48% would support a 16 week ban.

You’re hung up on the wrong thing. Replace murder with “killing a human”. Better? And before you rant, remember what Kevorkian does. Or pulling a plug. Both of which I also think should be legal.
I prefer “termination” which is what happens with some pregnancies when the women so chooses in consultation with her doctor.

Reactions: Kelsers
I prefer “termination” which is what happens with some pregnancies when the women so chooses in consultation with her doctor.
Yeah. Like I said. Language being manipulated to make us feel better about the fact a person is being killed. I don’t subscribe to it. I know it’s not comfortable but we can at least have the decency of taking it head on and acknowledge what we are doing here. Especially if you’re for after 20 weeks. And especially considering a large majority are being performed because of the inconvenience of it. Termination. Fine. Termination of a human being’s life.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky and Kelsers
Yeah. Like I said. Language being manipulated to make us feel better about the fact a person is being killed. I don’t subscribe to it. I know it’s not comfortable but we can at least have the decency of taking it head on and acknowledge what we are doing here. Especially if you’re for after 20 weeks. And especially considering a large majority are being performed because of the inconvenience of it. Termination. Fine. Termination of a human being’s life.
This is what the conservative Justices struggled with when the fashioned the compromise in Roe v. Wade. The justices had reached a consensus that completely banning and criminalizing all abortions was untenable.

If you don’t accept the scientific standard (viability) you quickly default to various competing arbitrary and politically inspired stages of pregnancy (6 weeks, 8, 12, 15, 16, shorter? longer?) or even religious nonsense such as “personhood” protection upon fertilization/conception. I prefer science over religious beliefs. The conservatives got the right compromise in 1973.

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, Trump takes this stance. In summary: “my morals and views are completely attached to whatever may get me elected”

Only a pro-life organization would ever poll that kind of number. Last legitimate poll I saw said 48% would support a 16 week ban.
I believe you, and in hindsight I'm certain the poll I saw didn't include the word "ban."

Nobody likes a "ban" on anything. In fact using that word in a poll would certainly skew the results, which pollsters are well aware of when they do it/don't do it.

The one I saw was probably more like "restrictions" after 15/16 weeks or only under "special circumstances" after 15/16 weeks. I do remember it was in the 70% range, which suggests there's room for compromise.

Reactions: artradley
No person is being killed. How are you not getting this?

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, Trump takes this stance. In summary: “my morals and views are completely attached to whatever may get me elected”

In order to make his position clear, the Republican nominee for POTUS has given an address to the nation followed by press availability released a brief statement on an obscure social media site.

Trump’s “vow to find a compromise” is (at this moment in time) do whatever is most popular lol.

That ought to fire up the evangelicals.

Reactions to Trump’s (semi) official position that abortion is solely a state issue is starting to roll in.

The conservative Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America quickly issued a blistering statement

Trump’s announcement is a “morally indefensible” position and holding that position is “an abdication of responsibility”.

SBA vowed to oppose any presidential candidate who refuses to embrace a 15 week standard. Earlier this year SBA announced it would spend nearly $92M to defeat pro abortion candidates

Maybe Lara Trump can find “a compromise” on behalf of DJT.

https://sbaprolife.org/newsroom/pre...-only-position-unacceptable-pro-life-movement

Reactions to Trump’s (semi) official position that abortion is solely a state issue is starting to roll in.

The conservative Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America quickly issued a blistering statement

Trump’s announcement is a “morally indefensible” position and holding that position is “an abdication of responsibility”.

SBA vowed to oppose any presidential candidate who refuses to embrace a 15 week standard. Earlier this year SBA announced it would spend nearly $92M to defeat pro abortion candidates

Maybe Lara Trump can find “a compromise” on behalf of DJT.

https://sbaprolife.org/newsroom/pre...-only-position-unacceptable-pro-life-movement
Going to be fascinating to see how this plays out - there’s clearly at least one person on trumps staff that knows running on an abortion ban is a losing issue.

Conservatives are still trying to regain control of this issue.

What trump doesn't seem to realize is the reason these morons embraced him is because they thought he was on their side. These people are unwilling and unable to compromise in any way. Barry Goldwater nailed it all those years ago. The Republicans let these religious extremists into their party and now they have to live with the consequences. He either loses them because they will not compromise or he loses the sane vote which is the vast majority there is no way to keep both. Good luck Donnie boy.

Going to be fascinating to see how this plays out - there’s clearly at least one person on trumps staff that knows running on an abortion ban is a losing issue.

It’s hard when you have zeolites. With the 6 week bans, IVF, wanting preteens to carry to term. Then the bounty issue on women that leave the state. All of those take up the oxygen in the room. Hard to have a rational debate with that.

How do you suppose that can happen?

Support for abortion accesss remains popular. A 2023 NBC News poll found nearly 80% of women age 18-49 disapproved of Roe v. Wade being overturned. Almost one-third of Republicans also disapproved. Gallup has been showing similar sentiment for 50 consecutive years

Against this remarkably strong and consistent public sentiment you have a modern Republican Party dominated by far-right pro-life religious conservatives.

The GOP can’t gain control because their position is extreme and decidedly unpopular (see Kansas, Ohio, Kentucky, e.g.).

If you are a Republican candidate in a swing district or even a moderately conservative district you do what Trump has done- punt, obfuscate, alternate, oscillate, attack the media, etc.

The Radical Right knows where Merica stands on women's rights.

They are backed into a corner and they have seen from these special elections that they are losing.

Now Trump is looking for a way to distance himself from an issue he has taken credit for previously.

Reactions: McLovin32 and nu2u
How do you suppose that can happen?

Support for abortion accesss remains popular. A 2023 NBC News poll found nearly 80% of women age 18-49 disapproved of Roe v. Wade being overturned. Almost one-third of Republicans also disapproved. Gallup has been showing similar sentiment for 50 consecutive years

Against this remarkably strong and consistent public sentiment you have a modern Republican Party dominated by far-right pro-life religious conservatives.

The GOP can’t gain control because their position is extreme and decidedly unpopular (see Kansas, Ohio, Kentucky, e.g.).

If you are a Republican candidate in a swing district or even a moderately conservative district you do what Trump has done- punt, obfuscate, alternate, oscillate, attack the media, etc.
I’m not sure they can. As someone else said, this is akin to the dog that caught the car.

And now they’re stuck between the hardliners who truly want to ban all abortions vs those that at the very least recognize this is costing them elections.

Reactions: MitchLL and nu2u
Trump will announce his position along with his healthcare plan to replace the ACA...
Still waiting on that one!

What a clown.

Reactions: nelly02
The Radical Right knows where Merica stands on women's rights.

They are backed into a corner and they have seen from these special elections that they are losing.

Now Trump is looking for a way to distance himself from an issue he has taken credit for previously.
You can expect the Biden campaign to spend at least $100M exploiting this divide. Paul Begala predicted twice as much, said the abortion rights ballot measure makes Florida a battleground state this cycle.

Reactions: nelly02 and MitchLL
You can expect the Biden campaign to spend at least $100M exploiting this divide. Paul Begala predicted twice as much, said the abortion rights ballot measure makes Florida a battleground state this cycle.
Republicans in their circular firing squad stance again!

It belongs with the states now,.. leave it there.
Republicans don’t seem content to leave it there.
And I’m sorry, but if Florida gets their way, then the entire south will effectively have banned abortion. So someone who wanted an abortion in Georgia would have to figure out a multi day cross-country trip to get one.

It belongs with the states now,.. leave it there.
I prefer federal constitutional protection but if abortion rights are to be decided on the individual state level, then I believe we eventually end up with a small number of states which enact stricter bans as opposed to a sizeable majority of states (at least upwards of 40 states), which more closely track the rights which were afforded by Roe v. Wade.

Right now, 21 states ban abortion or restrict the procedure earlier in pregnancy than the standard set by Roe. I expect that number to decrease significantly as states with total bans or strict gestational limits (such as Florida as of 5/1, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina) undergo legislative amendment or face referendum votes.

Restrictions more severe than allowed under Roe are widely unpopular. Even in South Dakota - a state where Republicans control 94 of 105 legislative seats - the Roe framework is favored by 8 percentage points (48% to 40%), according to a 2023 poll. SD has a total ban. That will eventually be challenged by popular vote.

Pro-life organizations are not happy with Trump’s “let the states decide” proclamation. The reason is obvious.

Not a chance in hell Rs wont ban it federally given the chance.
i don't think they would at this point...for the same (well, inverse) reasoning that they'll never actually fix the border. these are campaign issues and firing up your base/making sure to not fire up the other guy's base is the most important consideration

the "true believers" might talk about it or even draft bills...but they'll be intentionally written so that they don't get the amount of support they would need to get signed (kind of like the house border bill)

Absolutely ridiculous because you end up with incidents like the lady in Texas and then there's controversy on if she broke the law.

I agree certain things should be governed by States.
This ain't one of them.

No matter where the legislation comes from it's still going to be legislated,.. Doing it at the state level at least allows for a more local choice.

Keep saying that and you'll eventually start to believe yourself...
It's a VERY real possibility the next time Rs have control of all three levels of govt.
Cause Merica is screwed for a couple decades with SCOTUS and the age of several Justices.

It's a VERY real possibility the next time Rs have control of all three levels of govt.
Cause Merica is screwed for a couple decades with SCOTUS and the age of several Justices.

Stop, you're scaring me,.. No, not really.

Oh look: a metaphorical pillow fight between Trump and Lady G. The feathers are flying.

Enjoy the distraction, GOP. Good work, everyone.

So, Trump taking the easy way out and saying it's a State issue.

Sorry, clown. You've already lost the female vote and you ain't getting it back.

Reactions: gohawks50 and nu2u
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT