ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Warns That "If Kamala Wins, Everybody Gets Health Care"

That's not still not Medicaid, but I agree ACA plans with subsidies are pretty affordable compared to premiums before ACA.

Really poor people can get Medicaid, though.

There's no reason millions of Americans should be uninsured with ACA and Medicaid, IMO.

Really poor people can get Medicaid, though.

There's no reason millions of Americans should be uninsured with ACA and Medicaid, IMO.
I agree and was disappointed when the tax penalty for not having health insurance was dropped due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. Many people are willing to risk going without insurance to save a few dollars a month.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I agree and was disappointed when the tax penalty for not having health insurance was dropped due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. Many people are willing to risk going without insurance to save a few dollars a month.
Agreed. And, ultimately, they still have insurance as they won't be turned away if they show up at an emergency room. Doing away with that provision was smoother stupid move by the republicans.

Reactions: gohawks50
Not true but keep trying…
100% true. You're part of the problem...telling us how America CAN'T do things the rest of the world can. Why is it you Republicans keep telling the rest of us that we can't accomplish things everyone else can?

They’d gladly trade places if they saw my house, my cars, my freedom vs living in an 800 sq ft flat, taking a trolley to the job…

I pay for the insurance I need according to my lifestyle…
They wouldn't trade healthcare systems with us. Stop moving the goalposts. Congratulations for your awesomeness. Most people don't have that.

The truth is that there’s an enormous amount of health care given to those who aren’t currently under some insurance umbrella already.
Medicaid. Or sick folks visit ER’s and are seen even if they cannot pay. Charitable pay options are at almost every hospital,
I do not disagree that there can be some improvements made but there’s still a reason wealthy foreigners come here to get the best health care on the planet.
Wealthy Americans go to foreign countries for health care too...because sometimes there's is better.

If the GOP would pass the legislation needed to shore it up (which Dems have proposed multiple times), it'd be fine.

So don't blame "the government". Blame the people YOU vote for, because they refuse to fix it.
So, which Dems have proposed fixing Social Security program?

Funding is a great start, but what Dem(s) have even proposed that? It seems as if SS is a taboo subject for all politicians.
As usual, you aren't paying attention. The Democrats have long been for funding both SS and Medicare more fully but the republicans have been able to keep it from happening.

I take it you agree with more funding for SS.

Democrats have proposed various measures over the years to increase funding for Social Security (SS). These proposals generally aim to strengthen the program's finances and ensure its long-term viability. Here are some key proposals:

1. Raising the Payroll Tax Cap:

• Current System: Social Security is funded primarily through payroll taxes, which apply to earnings up to a certain limit (the "cap"). In 2024, this cap is $160,200.
  • Democratic Proposals: Many Democrats have proposed raising or eliminating the payroll tax cap so that higher earners contribute more. For example, the Social Security 2100 Act, introduced by Rep. John Larson, proposes applying the payroll tax to earnings above $400,000 while leaving a "donut hole" between the cap and this new threshold.

2. Increasing the Payroll Tax Rate:

• Current Rate: The payroll tax rate is 6.2% for both employers and employees, for a total of 12.4%.
  • Proposals: Some Democrats have proposed gradually increasing the payroll tax rate. For example, the Social Security 2100 Act proposes raising the payroll tax rate from 6.2% to 7.4% over several decades to increase funding for the program.

3. Applying Payroll Taxes to Investment Income:

• Current System: Social Security taxes are only levied on earned income (wages and salaries), not on investment income.
  • Proposals: Some Democrats have proposed extending Social Security taxes to include investment income, such as capital gains, to increase the revenue base for the program.

4. Expanding Benefits and Funding Through Progressive Taxes:

• Social Security Expansion Act: Introduced by Senator Bernie Sanders and supported by many Democrats, this act proposes to increase benefits while funding these expansions by taxing income above $250,000, including both earned and investment income.

5. Adjusting the Cost-of-Living Adjustments (COLA):

• Current System: Social Security benefits are adjusted for inflation using the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).
  • Proposals: Some Democrats have proposed switching to the Consumer Price Index for the Elderly (CPI-E), which more accurately reflects the spending patterns of seniors, potentially leading to higher annual increases in benefits. This proposal would require additional funding to cover the increased payouts.

6. Reinvesting Surpluses and Preventing Privatization:

• Opposition to Privatization: Many Democrats have consistently opposed proposals to privatize Social Security or to divert funds to private accounts. Instead, they advocate for reinvesting any Social Security surpluses back into the program.
These proposals reflect ongoing efforts by Democrats to both preserve and expand Social Security benefits while addressing the program's long-term funding challenges.

As usual, you aren't paying attention. The Democrats have long been for funding both SS and Medicare more fully but the republicans have been able to keep it from happening.

I take it you agree with more funding for SS.

Democrats have proposed various measures over the years to increase funding for Social Security (SS). These proposals generally aim to strengthen the program's finances and ensure its long-term viability. Here are some key proposals:

1. Raising the Payroll Tax Cap:

• Current System: Social Security is funded primarily through payroll taxes, which apply to earnings up to a certain limit (the "cap"). In 2024, this cap is $160,200.
  • Democratic Proposals: Many Democrats have proposed raising or eliminating the payroll tax cap so that higher earners contribute more. For example, the Social Security 2100 Act, introduced by Rep. John Larson, proposes applying the payroll tax to earnings above $400,000 while leaving a "donut hole" between the cap and this new threshold.

2. Increasing the Payroll Tax Rate:

• Current Rate: The payroll tax rate is 6.2% for both employers and employees, for a total of 12.4%.
  • Proposals: Some Democrats have proposed gradually increasing the payroll tax rate. For example, the Social Security 2100 Act proposes raising the payroll tax rate from 6.2% to 7.4% over several decades to increase funding for the program.

3. Applying Payroll Taxes to Investment Income:

• Current System: Social Security taxes are only levied on earned income (wages and salaries), not on investment income.
  • Proposals: Some Democrats have proposed extending Social Security taxes to include investment income, such as capital gains, to increase the revenue base for the program.

4. Expanding Benefits and Funding Through Progressive Taxes:

• Social Security Expansion Act: Introduced by Senator Bernie Sanders and supported by many Democrats, this act proposes to increase benefits while funding these expansions by taxing income above $250,000, including both earned and investment income.

5. Adjusting the Cost-of-Living Adjustments (COLA):

• Current System: Social Security benefits are adjusted for inflation using the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).
  • Proposals: Some Democrats have proposed switching to the Consumer Price Index for the Elderly (CPI-E), which more accurately reflects the spending patterns of seniors, potentially leading to higher annual increases in benefits. This proposal would require additional funding to cover the increased payouts.

6. Reinvesting Surpluses and Preventing Privatization:

• Opposition to Privatization: Many Democrats have consistently opposed proposals to privatize Social Security or to divert funds to private accounts. Instead, they advocate for reinvesting any Social Security surpluses back into the program.
These proposals reflect ongoing efforts by Democrats to both preserve and expand Social Security benefits while addressing the program's long-term funding challenges.
I also think they could tweak the retirement age too. However, you didn’t answer my question…what specific Democrat(s) have proposed changes to SS?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT