ADVERTISEMENT

Trying to gain weight

Need to lift in a progressive overload program.
PPL is great for those starting out. (Push, pull, legs). Tons of info and variations to this workout online.
Establish base line maintenance caloric intake and work to add intake from there.

It’s not difficult to consume the calories needed. Protein comes in other forms than meat; chick peas, legumes, peanut butter, fish, etc etc.

Reactions: GOHOX69
So, as keen hort readers know, @jamesvanderwulf wants to kick my ass in pickleball. And so far I've deftly avoided him. As i have @torbee. I can guess the latter is younger than me and the former might be a tad older or maybe the same age.

As I approach my mid 50's, I notice I'm losing muscle mass. My science gig still requires on my feet action etc but obviously I'm not an athlete.

My question to hort adonises is how do I gain some additional muscle mass so this pickleball thing happens before I'm dead.

Short of roids and hgh, what would help? Based on a formula I saw on the net, it begins at 2 grams protein/pound body weight. I'm not fat so in my situation that's about 200 grams of protein per day. I can't suck down that much protein powder minus puking so how do people sustain that level of protein intake?

If this doesn't work, I'll be in Tijuana scoring roids.
I'm 57 and am in the same boat. For muscle mass you obviously have to do weight training but you need to monitor your protein intake. Around 60 grams a day is optimal but hard to do. I usually drink a couple protein shake a day to get there....there are healthy ones on the market. Use a powder with low to no sugar and mix it with fruit/veggies etc...

Last edited:
So, as keen hort readers know, @jamesvanderwulf wants to kick my ass in pickleball. And so far I've deftly avoided him. As i have @torbee. I can guess the latter is younger than me and the former might be a tad older or maybe the same age.

As I approach my mid 50's, I notice I'm losing muscle mass. My science gig still requires on my feet action etc but obviously I'm not an athlete.

My question to hort adonises is how do I gain some additional muscle mass so this pickleball thing happens before I'm dead.

Short of roids and hgh, what would help? Based on a formula I saw on the net, it begins at 2 grams protein/pound body weight. I'm not fat so in my situation that's about 200 grams of protein per day. I can't suck down that much protein powder minus puking so how do people sustain that level of protein intake?

lift weights, eat peanut butter sandwiches

5 10 168 pounds. I would like to put on 20 pounds.

Those numbers are actually great for a pickleball (or tennis) player, if you're serious about this pickleball-angle. I'd work on cardio and and a little bit of weights to try to firm up what you have.

I walk 2 miles and do push ups through the day. I don't do anything with weights, as of yet.
You can prob find a manageable beginners weight routine that will kind of go over the main groups. Chest/Back/Shoulders/Legs. Then after a few weeks of that you can prob find another one that will bump you to more focused group like push (chest/tris), pull (back/biceps) and legs

Remember, form and function over heavy ass weights. The weight will get there, but not if you hurt yourself. Your back and knees are your friends, lift properly.

I walk 2 miles and do push ups through the day. I don't do anything with weights, as of yet.
Join a place like Farrell’s FBX if you have one in your area and get on their 10 week program to get into better shape as well as plan your meals better. You will gain muscle weight and strength in the process of losing fat.

You will just need to get a gym membership or buy some home equipment and start lifting weights, while consuming adequate protein. There is no secret sauce. There are a lot of guys on here who can give you very specific advice like @bunsen82, but that is the gist of it. The good news is that since you are starting from 0 (assuming I read you post correctly and you only weigh 100 pounds), you will realize a lot of quick and appreciable gains just doing basic lifts like bench presses and squats.

You will just need to get a gym membership or buy some home equipment and start lifting weights, while consuming adequate protein. There is no secret sauce. There are a lot of guys on here who can give you very specific advice like @bunsen82, but that is the gist of it. The good news is that since you are starting from 0 (assuming I read you post correctly and you only weigh 100 pounds), you will realize a lot of quick and appreciable gains just doing basic lifts like bench presses and squats.
Just make sure you stay away from more complicated moves like these.

gym fail GIF

gym fail GIF

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT