ADVERTISEMENT

Tucker DeVries

So the CR Gazette is wrong then? And he was ineligible the next year, just like I said?
It's weird arguing about a guy who spent one month in Iowa, that was forced to leave based on a zero tolerance policy, who broke no laws at Iowa, before ever playing a game or starting school, when you are a fan of a school that profited off of Cam Lard, Bryce Dejean Jones, Royce White, Calvin Godfrey, Chris Allen, Korey Lucious, etc etc etc.

Laron Dendy couldn't spell class.

Reactions: Birky and Ronman
Seems as though we are carrying on two different discussions in this thread, but regarding the television attraction of Iowa, I would think this season, assuming Garza continues his performance of last year, many might tune in just to see the potential POY. I know, without being a Dayton fan, I watched a couple of their games last year just to see Toppin.

I understand how cool it would be to play for your dad. But if it was my kid I would encourage him to go play at the highest level he could.

Last edited:
I understand how cool it would be to play for our dad. But if it was my kid I would encourage him to go play at the highest level he could.

Darian already has a conference title and if tucker can lead him to another then he can just transfer with him to his next job.

"Dude, did you read that article?"
You may want to follow your own direction. It's dated information but one little line stands out.

15 Iowa Big Ten 1,273,954

Breaking it down that has Iowa at 15. Perhaps re reading the article would be helpful.

I believe that has to do with number of fans attending games and is impacted by the size of your stadium/arena and then your ability to fill it. Thus a bigger stadium/arena and strong following gets you higher on the list, even if you have less eyes watching you on TV.

Pretty cool for Drake. Devries is a good coach. He has done well without really great recruits so if he can get better recruits they can start winning the conference.

Reactions: perryhawk
As a Drake fan as well I’m pretty excited about what DeVries has accomplished. Without the injuries 2 years ago they probably win the Valley tournament. Also seems to know how to play in the transfer market which is very important for mid majors.

Do you ever read threads before you post in them?

Legend I see you are in good form! But I was gonna ask you earlier as I know you follow basketball very closely. How does this kid compare with the kid Iowa got from the same school? I am not really a hoops guy more wrestling and football so kind of a dumbed down analysis by you would be great. Thanks.

What Iowa State players have had a shoot out with the police?

You have been a proven liar on this board time and time again, yet you seem to think if you type really long posts that people will believe you, even when you continually make stuff up. Remember your "insider" info on how much trouble Jeff Peterson was at Georgetown?

Yet again you launch personal, vicious attacks on me over trivia, which appears as the one thing you understand, trivia. Trivia for a trivial, emotionally disturbed borderline personality disordered cretin. You are certainly at the corner of obsessive compulsive disorder and anti social disorder (psychopathy).

But hey, you haven't asked anyone to kill themselves or ridiculed any teen age cancer patients yet this year so maybe the new meds are working better. You and your therapist need to discuss your impulse to lash out and attack people you don't know because that part of your treatment plan is clearly failing. I understand that proximity limitations can be frustrating but dude you manifest all three elements of the Dark Triad. Perhaps some lighter reading to break up the endless repetition of days spent in your Command Center, watching multiple games and reading box scores from 1986? A Charles Manson bio, or perhaps something on Charlie Starkweather might brighten your demersalian life. Sure, everyone needs inspiration, right?

Among those not on the psychopathy spectrum, however, misremembering a year, or an unimportant detail of an ultimately unimportant event 30 or more years in the past, is not a lie its a ****ing mistake about a detail of something that does not affect the conclusion or point. Mixing up the name of the schools to which an ex Iowa player, of no particular historic significance, transferred a decade ago is a distinction without a difference. I recall confusing FSU and Georgetown but either way the kid transferred twice, which supports the proposition that the player was his and not the schools he left, as I said at the time.

As for the shootout, surely one of the "The Sporting News" pages you're using as wallpaper headlines this event:

Mack was arrested and charged with armed robbery in Ames, Iowa in March 1989 when he participated in a holdup at a Burger King. Mack was shot in the foot and hip as he tried to flee police. He was later acquitted when a jury decided that Iowa State football player Levin White, a transfer from USC, had forced him at gunpoint to be his accomplice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Mack

That ring any bells Quasimodo? I had a copy of the indictment back when it happened. It was a hoot. Ames PD fired, as I recall from 31 years ago, somewhere in the sixties shots into the restaurant at Mack and White, entirely missed White-the Cyclone actually holding the gun-and just clipped the much larger target, Mack. I think the players had a .22 rifle. The word "shootout" is certainly well within the scope of humorous hyperbole when you have an event involving armed robbery, armed suspects, multiple shots fired and a suspect wounded. Your inability to recognize that is prima facie evidence of your disorders.

Please put me on ignore. Please stop attacking me personally. You need not reply, going down this road will just repulse other members who, like me, are here to argue about sports and not anyone's perceived perceived personality defects.

Legend I see you are in good form! But I was gonna ask you earlier as I know you follow basketball very closely. How does this kid compare with the kid Iowa got from the same school? I am not really a hoops guy more wrestling and football so kind of a dumbed down analysis by you would be great. Thanks.

Game reminds me of haluska, just not the athlete. But a better pure shooter.

Yet again you launch personal, vicious attacks on me over trivia, which appears as the one thing you understand, trivia. Trivia for a trivial, emotionally disturbed borderline personality disordered cretin. You are certainly at the corner of obsessive compulsive disorder and anti social disorder (psychopathy).

But hey, you haven't asked anyone to kill themselves or ridiculed any teen age cancer patients yet this year so maybe the new meds are working better. You and your therapist need to discuss your impulse to lash out and attack people you don't know because that part of your treatment plan is clearly failing. I understand that proximity limitations can be frustrating but dude you manifest all three elements of the Dark Triad. Perhaps some lighter reading to break up the endless repetition of days spent in your Command Center, watching multiple games and reading box scores from 1986? A Charles Manson bio, or perhaps something on Charlie Starkweather might brighten your demersalian life. Sure, everyone needs inspiration, right?

Among those not on the psychopathy spectrum, however, misremembering a year, or an unimportant detail of an ultimately unimportant event 30 or more years in the past, is not a lie its a ****ing mistake about a detail of something that does not affect the conclusion or point. Mixing up the name of the schools to which an ex Iowa player, of no particular historic significance, transferred a decade ago is a distinction without a difference. I recall confusing FSU and Georgetown but either way the kid transferred twice, which supports the proposition that the player was his and not the schools he left, as I said at the time.

As for the shootout, surely one of the "The Sporting News" pages you're using as wallpaper headlines this event:

Mack was arrested and charged with armed robbery in Ames, Iowa in March 1989 when he participated in a holdup at a Burger King. Mack was shot in the foot and hip as he tried to flee police. He was later acquitted when a jury decided that Iowa State football player Levin White, a transfer from USC, had forced him at gunpoint to be his accomplice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Mack

That ring any bells Quasimodo? I had a copy of the indictment back when it happened. It was a hoot. Ames PD fired, as I recall from 31 years ago, somewhere in the sixties shots into the restaurant at Mack and White, entirely missed White-the Cyclone actually holding the gun-and just clipped the much larger target, Mack. I think the players had a .22 rifle. The word "shootout" is certainly well within the scope of humorous hyperbole when you have an event involving armed robbery, armed suspects, multiple shots fired and a suspect wounded. Your inability to recognize that is prima facie evidence of your disorders.

Please put me on ignore. Please stop attacking me personally. You need not reply, going down this road will just repulse other members who, like me, are here to argue about sports and not anyone's perceived perceived personality defects.

After reading this post, I’ll have to agree with the “kill yourself” recommendation.

Reactions: TJHall1

I remember at the time a quote from an Ames policeman saying Mack and White were lucky because the Ames police were trained to "shoot to kill" and thinking, with that many shots at extremely large targets as humans go, means you need more practice.

Guess Tuckers decision sheds some light on why Hawks pursued Sandfort over him. Fran must have known DeVries wanted to play for his dad, as he is definitely the better prospect of the two

Guess Tuckers decision sheds some light on why Hawks pursued Sandfort over him. Fran must have known DeVries wanted to play for his dad, as he is definitely the better prospect of the two

LOL... really? Iowa felt Sandfort was the better prospect for what they do and what they needed.

I've seen them both play and there is no "definitely the better prospect of the two". Sandfort is an exceptional shooter with a lightning quick release (aka Kyle Korver) and a long wingspan. He'll do just fine at Iowa and beyond.

Yes, Sandfort will do just fine at Iowa, and will end up fulfilling his role well. Although I'm not sure that he plays much early in his career.

I've seen them both play too and Tucker is the better player and better prospect. ISU, Creighton, Oregon, Florida, and rankings agree.

I doubt that Fran liked Sandfort so much more to not recruit DeVries as well. Sandfort projects as a stretch-four, who's main role will be to catch and shoot. I love how comfortable he plays in the post in high school, but I don't see a lot of that transferring to the Big10. A high 3pt % will be required of Sandfort and I believe he's capable. He does have a quick release and his shot is very repeatable given his feet are set. Meanwhile, DeVries has the versatility that Fran loves, as he could play 4 different positions in a pinch. He is the son of a coach and comes from a family of great athletic pedigree.

Again, I find it hard to believe that Fran wasn't interested in DeVries. To me, it is much more likely that Fran had been informed of the likelihood that Tucker would choose to play for his Dad. For a kid to make that decision means that has most likely been his preference all along. And it seems DeVries has proven that by turning down some real nice basketball programs

Reactions: littlez

well in Macks defense you said shootout, he apparently was only shot at and did not return fire, therefore I think shootout is not the correct term LOL I was at ISU when that happened.. I don't think he was a model student athlete. In addition the wiki page you link to describes him as a 'shooting guard' so there you go!

Devries is better. Not to mention we’re going to have a log-jam at the 3/4. Connor, Pat, Jack, The Murray’s, Sandfort. As always, we need more athletic wings. Devries would’ve been a perfect Wieskamp replacement. Oh well, its back to middle of the pack B1G, after this year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT