ADVERTISEMENT

Tucker DeVries

? You do realize that compared to the other 13 institutions in the Big 10, Iowa has the highest acceptance rates for those who apply? (Yes that includes even NE which you called out).

We should all be proud of our schools, and Iowa has a very good academic reputation(I have a daughter who is a senior there). But let's not make claims like IA has Northwestern-esque entrance requirement levels that make it a primary reason athletic recruiting is so difficult. I am not saying there aren't other barriers that are real and challenging, but the facts don't seem to support this claim.

Our coaches cannot even look at many kids because of character problems. The academic issue is the waivers or variances that the U allows. NU probably has tougher general requirements but how many variances and waivers do they grant. You better believe that every other Big Ten School, with the possible exception of Northwestern, grants more waivers and variances than Iowa. Every Iowa coach has privately complained about it. The Sainted John Hayden and Dr. Davis were very vocal about it.

It could be worse. Drake, very hostile to men's athletics, historically gives no admission variances or waivers. They are brutal to the coaches.

So you are saying 7.6% of the state of Iowa watches Iowa games and 25% of the state of Michigan watches Michigan games?! You are crazy

I meant nationally. Do you think there's even 10,000 Iowa football fan's outside of Iowa? 20,000? How many TVs would tune to a B1G game vs. SEC game if Michigan rather than Iowa is on the card. Its not just local TVs.

Michigan is national franchise. Iowa is a franchise in one half of a small state. I'm sure there are ratings data available but I'm just too tired to look. I'd wager the Michigan 3pm or prime time games are quite a bit higher than Iowa's. Although our prime time games are pretty much only against one of the Big Ten national franchise programs (The Lion, Brutus, the whore Ann Arbor, Bucky and sometimes Sparty). I guess that might be the best evidence of my point. Iowa is never a prime time game because of Iowa, we're the opponent for a media team).

Reactions: garberhawkeye
Hubbard never played for Iowa. The Davises have (worthless) degrees from IA State.

I was using the Davis boys as academic shenanigans. You know they couldn't read don't you?

Group question, did Hubbard actually enroll. I know he was tossed before the season but was it still summer? The reason is actually funny but he deserved the boot. It also left F Mac with zero margin of error on the citizenship questions. Kirk's achieved divine status so he has a little more wriggle room on the citizenship issues but F Mac has none. Don't think the multiple arrests had nothing to do with Cordell's departure.

I meant nationally. Do you think there's even 10,000 Iowa football fan's outside of Iowa? 20,000? How many TVs would tune to a B1G game vs. SEC game if Michigan rather than Iowa is on the card. Its not just local TVs.

Michigan is national franchise. Iowa is a franchise in one half of a small state. I'm sure there are ratings data available but I'm just too tired to look. I'd wager the Michigan 3pm or prime time games are quite a bit higher than Iowa's. Although our prime time games are pretty much only against one of the Big Ten national franchise programs (The Lion, Brutus, the whore Ann Arbor, Bucky and sometimes Sparty). I guess that might be the best evidence of my point. Iowa is never a prime time game because of Iowa, we're the opponent for a media team).

How many primetime games does a school like Michigan have against teams like Indiana, NW, Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois, even Minnesota? How many primetime games does OSU have against Cincinnati, Kent State, Etc. Iowa is not in the bottom category, but more so in the upper. They get the TV viewership. Look at last year when ISU and Iowa played and college gameday was there. You are lumping Iowa in the wrong category. Especially for recruiting when recruits actually come to Iowa to get a chance at the NFL.

And yes, there are more than 20,000 Iowa fans that live outside of Iowa. That is a terrible assumption. 20,000? where do you get that number. I bet there are 20,000 in the state of Illinois alone.

Reactions: StatisticsLie

I get what you are saying but having lived in the Twin Cities, there are more than 20,000 Hawkeye Fans in that area alone.

But yes, there is more of a limited geographic reach for Iowa compared to certain teams.

I've only ever seen one study attempt to determine how many fans each college team has. And that study is now almost ten years old (not sure how much it would change over time) and dealt with with football. (We are on the basketball board, although most of the dog's ramblings do seem to be on football.)
That study had the Hawkeyes 15th nationally in fanbase. Ohio St, Penn St and Michigan were 1,2,3.

I was using the Davis boys as academic shenanigans. You know they couldn't read don't you?

Group question, did Hubbard actually enroll. I know he was tossed before the season but was it still summer? The reason is actually funny but he deserved the boot. It also left F Mac with zero margin of error on the citizenship questions. Kirk's achieved divine status so he has a little more wriggle room on the citizenship issues but F Mac has none. Don't think the multiple arrests had nothing to do with Cordell's departure.
I don't recall hearing why Hubbard was booted, Can you elaborate?

Yeah, B10 coaches ranked Iowas b-ball coaching opportunity 9th or worse in every category in the B10 except 1, which ranked best in the conference.

That category?

Admissions standards.

BTW this poll puts Fran’s performance here in an even better light imo.

Conference-Chain-Big-Ten-853x480.jpg

So that's saying we're the easiest to get in to for academics in the conference? Tad embarrassing.

You can't say Iowa does not do it. Because they have. Thats my only point. If you bring up players from the mid 90s I can bring up Hubbard.
I mean, just this last summer was a kick in the nuts for me. Not sure we should be spouting off about being "better"

DeVries has done a nice job at Drake. I’d be very surprised if he goes elsewhere. Be a real kick in the nuts if he did.

Iowa is a small school in the middle of nowhere. We have no, or almost no, media presence. The weather is terrible. Part of that is terrible PR practices and part of its just geography.

The structures that would allow Iowa to lift our profile is strongly invested in the status quo, not Iowa. If your league has a media dependent revenue stream, and that's all P5 campuses, do you want the 2.5 million audience for a Michigan broadcast or the 250,000 Iowa audience? The dominant and all dominating imperative of institutions is institutional preservation. The TV/streaming services can read a demographic chart, they know from whence the clicks and hits are coming.

So the media investment is in the big draw programs the media promotes. Those programs benefit enormously from that media investment in recruiting, making it much harder for the non media schools to recruit 4 and 5 star caliber players. If you're Iowa, you make your problem worse by overly restrictive academic and citizenship expectations that freaks out over every trivial **** up, OWI, public intox, etc.... Other schools, like the Clones or Nebraska will take a guy if he's done some armed robbery if the kid has game or cannot read (e.g. the Davis brothers).

3 words: Anthony. Hubbard.

Reactions: tumorboy
That’s rich coming from a UNI fan L Wade. And I think you know who kicked their ass in the Valley tournament last year.

nEV

Hubbard signed with Iowa in April and took summer classes before leaving the team last week with a "no restrictions or conditions. He can transfer to the institution of his choosing," according to an Iowa news release.
Never attended. And this link said he was able to play "right away". You said he would have to sit out. Wrong again.

nEV

Never attended. And this link said he was able to play "right away". You said he would have to sit out. Wrong again.

It said he'd be able to attend another Big 10 school. He went to Morgan State, and his waiver for the next year was denied.

He attended classes per the CR Gazette. Did they lie?

He had to sit out. He attended classes per the CR Gazette. The NCAA ruled him ineligible for the next year due to this fact. I mean I could keep going but I'd hate to keep embarrassing you.

It said he'd be able to attend another Big 10 school. He went to Morgan State, and his waiver for the next year was denied.

He attended classes per the CR Gazette. Did they lie?

He had to sit out. He attended classes per the CR Gazette. The NCAA ruled him ineligible for the next year due to this fact. I mean I could keep going but I'd hate to keep embarrassing you.
He never attended classes. He was a total slough off. He left and did not withdraw, did not attempt to complete them, so he effed himself out of a year. He was a dumba$$.
And don't worry about embarrassing me. You should check on the guy in the mirror, though.

Last edited:
3 words: Anthony. Hubbard.
Kicked out of school before fall semester. When venturing down the road of criminal vs criminal, didn't two Cyclones pull an armed robbery, while still varsity athletes, of a Hardee's in Ames? Didn't the police fire like 60 rounds into the store in the following gunfight? We've never had any players shoot it out with the coppers so we even win the race to the worst criminals on campus.

Like I said, Hubbard burned 100% of F Mac's ability to bring marginal characters into the program. You guys in Ames will take anyone that can play ball, and somehow keep them eligible. D Davis Wunderlic score, 4, is the lowest in the NFL combine's decades of tests. A four is someone that is struggling to even read the test much less a capacity to answer. Troy is in the lowest 15. Add the Davis boys' scores and you're still below average.

I wish Iowa would be more like ISU in giving kids a second chance and not be so political correct about boy/girl issues, which is the prohibitive factor for a lot of recruits and Iowa. Like most "unwritten" rules, they're not realistic of teenage behavior and they are unfair because a lot is based on HS rumors and the like. But, it is what it is and Iowa has to live with it.

It does, however, put another brick in the wall of Iowa's cultural superiority. It must be incredibly frustrating to look up and always see that brilliant, athletic, handsome, popular and wealthy big brother 100 miles away. Like Billy Carter or Roger Clinton.

I've only ever seen one study attempt to determine how many fans each college team has. And that study is now almost ten years old (not sure how much it would change over time) and dealt with with football. (We are on the basketball board, although most of the dog's ramblings do seem to be on football.)
That study had the Hawkeyes 15th nationally in fanbase. Ohio St, Penn St and Michigan were 1,2,3.

I used the prime time example because it perfectly illustrates the difference. Iowa basketball is nowhere near the draw of Iowa football. We rarely even get to play in national broadcast basketball games.

Here's a simple phenomenon to follow: When are Iowa BBall games broadcast? I'm guessing not much prime broadcast space will be consumed by Iowa basketball, and this will be a banner year for us. We have a national PoY player.

Dude, did you read that article? Jesus, the Big Ten only has a local presence in one of the Top Ten metro football fans, and that's Chicago. There are a lot of Iowa fans in Chicago, but there are more Wolverines or Buckeyes. We are a tiny media market. Nebraska still has a national audience and they haven't been good for years. There just aren't that many eyes watching Iowa compared to almost every other program in the Big Ten.

The network executives that make the broadcasting decisions are not pro Michigan but they are very pro money. Eyes = advertising revenue. Ad revenue = production bonus for people deciding broadcast schedule. That's a pretty tight explanation of the role capitalism plays in college sports don't you think?

Last edited:
He never attended classes. He was actotañ slough off. He left and did not withdraw, did not attempt to complete them, so he effed himself out of a year. He was a dumba$$.
And don't worry about embarrassing me. You should check on the guy in the mirror, though.

So the CR Gazette is wrong then? And he was ineligible the next year, just like I said?

So the CR Gazette is wrong then? And he was ineligible the next year, just like I said?
He was eligible when he left. HE effed up after that by not canceling or attending his class(es). He did REGISTER for classes but did not attend as the Gazette said. They apparently assumed that since he was registered that he attended.

Suffice it to say Ant'ny Hubbard was not very responsible and completely lacked even the concept of propriety and insight. However minor the indiscretion Hubbard had to know that he was on formal probation with the courts and double secret probation with Iowa. Actually he was told about the straight and narrow when he signed. He couldn't stay on that road for 90 days. There's a legal term for guys like Hubbard; ****in' mo-rons.

Dude, did you read that article? Jesus, the Big Ten only has a local presence in one of the Top Ten metro football fans, and that's Chicago. There are a lot of Iowa fans in Chicago, but there are more Wolverines or Buckeyes. We are a tiny media market. Nebraska still has a national audience and they haven't been good for years. There just aren't that many eyes watching Iowa compared to almost every other program in the Big Ten.

The network executives that make the broadcasting decisions are not pro Michigan but they are very pro money. Eyes = advertising revenue. Ad revenue = production bonus for people deciding broadcast schedule. That's a pretty tight explanation of the role capitalism plays in college sports don't you think?
So the team with the estimated 15th most fans doesn’t get people to watch, got it. If you are just comparing Iowa and Michigan than carry on

So the team with the estimated 15th most fans doesn’t get people to watch, got it. If you are just comparing Iowa and Michigan than carry on

What could possibly make you think BBall or Football has the 15th most fans in the country. In just the Big Ten in football 1. tOSU 2. Ann Arbor 3. PSU 4. Bucky 5. Sparty 6. The Bug Eaters all have a larger fan base and national media audience than Iowa. Just the sizes of the schools and the television market areas make that obvious, except for Nebraska and I cannot imagine how long their national fan base hangs on. SEC, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia and maybe Ole Miss have a much larger national media profile and fan bases. FSU and Miami both have much higher media profiles. Texas, Oklahoma and the other OSU much higher national media profiles. USC, UCLA, Cal and Stanford all higher than Iowa. Oh, forgot ND and BYU.

Basketball is worse. There are 15 schools east of the Allegheny mountains with a higher media profile than Iowa.

Big Ten we're behind OSU, Sparty, Ann Arbor, Bucky, the Turtle, Purdue and Indiana.

He was eligible when he left. HE effed up after that by not canceling or attending his class(es). He did REGISTER for classes but did not attend as the Gazette said. They apparently assumed that since he was registered that he attended.

here’s the story I got from a very credible source. Hubbard did not take summer classes however wasn’t the reason he left even though fran was hoping he could’ve taken some before fall semester.

one of the stipulations was avoiding the ped mall among many other strict list of rules fran had and a short leash for him. Well one night Hubbard went out brought a girl back. Things got little awkward where girl didn’t want to go all the way so Hubbard finished the job in front of the girl before she left. To no surprise Made her very uncomfortable. She was friends with a b-ball manager and told him about it the next day. This is when ryan bowen was still involved with the program so manager went to Bowen who immediately called fran. They asked the manager if his friend thought anything criminal they encouraged her to contact police but also said he was off the team one way or another. Manager told fran and Bowen she was very satisfied with the decision when he relayed the news to her and she didn’t want or need anything else and wasn’t contacting police cause didn’t feel he crossed the criminal line.

so fran met with Hubbard who was disappointed agreed to leave and Iowa released the closer to home excuse so he could get another shot which he did and took advantage of at Morgan st. Barta and others also Informed and in agreement nothing criminal but agreed he needed to go. Again person who told me this story knows people who work with program at times and been pretty credible. Take it for what it’s worth.

Reactions: skydog0784
What could possibly make you think BBall or Football has the 15th most fans in the country. In just the Big Ten in football 1. tOSU 2. Ann Arbor 3. PSU 4. Bucky 5. Sparty 6. The Bug Eaters all have a larger fan base and national media audience than Iowa. Just the sizes of the schools and the television market areas make that obvious, except for Nebraska and I cannot imagine how long their national fan base hangs on. SEC, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia and maybe Ole Miss have a much larger national media profile and fan bases. FSU and Miami both have much higher media profiles. Texas, Oklahoma and the other OSU much higher national media profiles. USC, UCLA, Cal and Stanford all higher than Iowa. Oh, forgot ND and BYU.

Basketball is worse. There are 15 schools east of the Allegheny mountains with a higher media profile than Iowa.

Big Ten we're behind OSU, Sparty, Ann Arbor, Bucky, the Turtle, Purdue and Indiana.

"Dude, did you read that article?"
You may want to follow your own direction. It's dated information but one little line stands out.

15 Iowa Big Ten 1,273,954

Breaking it down that has Iowa at 15. Perhaps re reading the article would be helpful.

I think you are confusing fan base with national interest?

For the purpose of your argument, you’re right, Iowa is behind for example, Sparty on a scale of how interesting they are to broadcast nationally. Johnny Utah probably wants to watch Sparty, and I don’t blame him.

As far a the actual size of the fan base? Iowa’s is much larger than I think you give credit. Hell, 40 percent of Badger fans are just using the Badgers as a way stay entertained until the Packers play. Sparty is probably more like ISU. If people didn’t go there, they are probably Michigan fans.

For the point you’re making, yes, we are behind all of those schools. For the fan base size, which I believe that article is referencing, Iowa is pretty damn high.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT