ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee: Bullying the Badger

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Almost nothing in this world brings a bigger smile to my face than walking around Madison after an Iowa road win. Just friggin' epic.

Tuesdays with Torbee​

ToryBrecht
Iowa Hawkeyes

Torbee's group of mixed Hawkeye and Badger fans was mostly smiles after Iowa bullied its way to a 15-6 win over the Badgers.

One touchdown was scored in last week’s primeval brawl between the Iowa Hawkeyes and Wisconsin Badgers.

In a bit of poetic justice, that 82-yard Leshon Williams’ scamper came out of an old school, I-formation look – the kind of meat-and-potatoes run play generations of Badgers used to bludgeon their Big 10 brethren.

On Saturday, the air raid thudded and bully ball prevailed.

No doubt, the father and son team of Kirk and Brian Ferentz took extra pleasure in rubbing Badger noses in incremental, ice age football. Many in both fan bases viewed this matchup – which gave the victor the inside track to a Big 10 West Division championship berth – as a proof-of-concept referendum.

On the Wisconsin side, a winning-but-not-sexy old school coach was jettisoned mid-season in 2022 for a newer, shinier model who promised to do away with three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football for a “modern” offense built to compete with bluebloods.

The decision in Iowa City was to go with the old. Double down on the longest-tenured coach in all of college football and his steadfast dedication to plodding, careful, complementary football with an emphasis on defensive stinginess and a conservatism that would make John Birch blush.

On a gloomy gray October Saturday in Camp Randall, the fossil outwitted the radical.

Early on, before a troubling knee injury to Iowa’s most reliable pass catcher, tight end Erick All, it appeared the forward pass was going to play a decent-sized role in the Hawkeye game plan. On Iowa’s first two drives, Iowa quarterback Deacon Hill actually hit on three of his first five passes, unfortunately including the slant that led All into a dangerous hit. Once All departed, however, the Iowa offense turned into the Williams and Kaleb Johnson show.

While many mock the frightful passing stats line of 6 for 14 for a mere 37 yards Hill ended with, a more remarkable stat is Iowa rushing for 200 yards playing with one hand tied behind its back. The Iowa offense looked much like a service academy, minus the option: you knew they were just going to line up and run and yet the Badgers failed to stop it much of the day. Iowa ended up eking out a time-of-possession advantage. With that, otherworldly punting by kicking god Tory Taylor and the relentless aggression of Sebastian Castro, Cooper DeJean and Jay Higgins, the Hawkeyes successfully dragged the Badgers into a gutter fight and left them bruised, beaten and demoralized.

Pundits call it ugly. But from my seats high up in Camp Randall, it was a thing of radiant beauty.

I particularly enjoyed the increasingly frustrated Badger fan behind me bemoaning the fact Iowa could rip off four, five and six yard runs while both Badger quarterbacks had to run for their lives and couldn’t get the massive and talented Braelon Allen the ball enough times to turn the fortunes of the game.

The grumbling and grousing in the Camp Randall stands made it clear many of the Badger faithful loathed seeing Iowa be the tougher, more blue collar team. They took it as a cultural affront.

Now, it is still early in this experiment. With the abolition of divisions and the influx of offensive-minded west coast teams into the Big 10 next year, Wisconsin’s gamble may still pay off. Perhaps Iowa will regret doubling down on Jurassic era bully ball at some point down the line. The first data point in the argument, however, points toward Iowa making the right decision. The Hawkeyes have now taken three of the last four games against Wisconsin and have their division championship fate in their own hands.

The fact is, this version of the Iowa Hawkeyes is full of bad asses that don’t care at all if you think they are ugly or an affront to modern football. They embrace the brand. The Bullies of the Big 10 are back and are going to try to bully all the way to Indianapolis.

Debates on whether this is a long-term strategy for success can wait for the offseason. We live in the now, and right now, Iowa is beating teams down with physicality, intelligence and perseverance in the face of adversity.

If you can’t enjoy that, you’re watching the wrong sport.

Follow me on Twitter @ToryBrecht and the 12 Saturdays Podcast @12Saturdays.

"Debates on whether this is a long-term strategy for success can wait for the offseason. We live in the now, and right now, Iowa is beating teams down with physicality, intelligence and perseverance in the face of adversity."

This is where I'm at. I know how this ends, but as long as the team is winning, I'm going to do my best to ignore the elephant in the room, and focus on the spectacle of a team that confounds everyone by winning without a functional offense. The defense and special teams are worth the price of admission and the possibility of going 10-2 or 11-1 while averaging an FBS worst sub 250 YPG is going to drive college football fans inside and outside of Iowa City crazy.

Baring anymore injuries Iowa is known for getting better as the season goes on. Hopefully the Offence with continue to get better and the team achieves more than the goals set at the beginning of the season.
We don't know what the result will be until it's all played out.
Here's hoping the Offence suddenly clicks and for no more injuries.
GO HAWKS

"Debates on whether this is a long-term strategy for success can wait for the offseason. We live in the now, and right now, Iowa is beating teams down with physicality, intelligence and perseverance in the face of adversity."

This is where I'm at. I know how this ends, but as long as the team is winning, I'm going to do my best to ignore the elephant in the room, and focus on the spectacle of a team that confounds everyone by winning without a functional offense. The defense and special teams are worth the price of admission and the possibility of going 10-2 or 11-1 while averaging an FBS worst sub 250 YPG is going to drive college football fans inside and outside of Iowa City crazy.
If this thing plays out like many of us hope ... then the 2004 season might be an apt comparison.

In that season, we were offensively challenged ... mainly making our hay via a passing attack featuring a plucky first-year starting QB.

This year, the formula might be different ... seemingly having more firepower running the ball. While David Bradley was a good punter for us in '04 ... he was no Tory Taylor ... the thunda (foot) from down-unda!

Anyhow, if Iowa keeps on winning from this point on ... it's all going to start from complementary football.

If this thing plays out like many of us hope ... then the 2004 season might be an apt comparison.

In that season, we were offensively challenged ... mainly making our hay via a passing attack featuring a plucky first-year starting QB.

This year, the formula might be different ... seemingly having more firepower running the ball. While David Bradley was a good punter for us in '04 ... he was no Tory Taylor ... the thunda (foot) from down-unda!

Anyhow, if Iowa keeps on winning from this point on ... it's all going to start from complementary football.
Getting way, way, way ahead of myself here --- but I also don't think it's necessarily a foregone conclusion Iowa would get humiliated and blown out in the B1G championship game either.

Granted, they'd be a large double-digit underdog and would have to play mistake free to even have a puncher's chance at an upset. But hey, they play the game on the field for a reason!

Getting way, way, way ahead of myself here --- but I also don't think it's necessarily a foregone conclusion Iowa would get humiliated and blown out in the B1G championship game either.

Granted, they'd be a large double-digit underdog and would have to play mistake free to even have a puncher's chance at an upset. But hey, they play the game on the field for a reason!
Given that we've seen Northwestern beat Minnesota already ... and then Illinois defeat a seemingly decent Maryland squad ... we definitely don't want to put the cart before the horse.

I remember back in '03, when it took Nathan Chandler a while to get the passing game clicking. Once he did ... we rather handily were able to dispatch Ron Zook's Florida squad.

So yeah ... if the Hawks can slowly get any semblance of a passing game established by the end of the season ... that could contribute to giving us a punchers chance, should we manage to miraculously stumble into the B1G champion game.

IN PHIL WE TRUST

Reactions: AlvySinger
I got to go drink with some after the game. They were actually in a better mood this year than last year. I think they get it's a bit of a "rebuild."
Just curious- were any of your Bucky friends caught off guard with the dismissal of PC? Tia

Just curious- were any of your Bucky friends caught off guard with the dismissal of PC? Tia
I think many thought - much like Marc Morehouse said - that he was kind of low energy and phoning it in, especially on recruiting. Most of my friends wanted Leonard and are a bit skeptical the air raid thing is the best course of action.

I think many thought - much like Marc Morehouse said - that he was kind of low energy and phoning it in, especially on recruiting. Most of my friends wanted Leonard and are a bit skeptical the air raid thing is the best course of action.
Thanks for that!👍

IF….and I do mean if….we go to the BT Championship game I think our best shot is either OSU or PS. Michigan appears to be rolling. Great D and once their offense gets rolling it’s lights out. I think we can run vs OSU and shorten the game. Yes PSU nailed us but the second time around in many cases tends to get tighter.

Just keep winning boys and find an average passing game. BUT Hawks have a bunch of football ahead of them. Stay the course and please no more injuries and please free Noah!

IF….and I do mean if….we go to the BT Championship game I think our best shot is either OSU or PS. Michigan appears to be rolling. Great D and once their offense gets rolling it’s lights out. I think we can run vs OSU and shorten the game. Yes PSU nailed us but the second time around in many cases tends to get tighter.

Just keep winning boys and find an average passing game. BUT Hawks have a bunch of football ahead of them. Stay the course and please no more injuries and please free Noah!
Where can a guy get a ‘Free Noah’ beefy T?!?! Tia

Also, I would rather play PSU, Michigan, and OSU in that order…😎

Reactions: AlvySinger

Totally disagree with Penn State.

Stay away from them imo.

I fully expect them to win in Columbus Sat.

Reactions: pmtdc and littlez
Almost nothing in this world brings a bigger smile to my face than walking around Madison after an Iowa road win. Just friggin' epic.

Tuesdays with Torbee​

ToryBrecht
Iowa Hawkeyes

Torbee's group of mixed Hawkeye and Badger fans was mostly smiles after Iowa bullied its way to a 15-6 win over the Badgers.

One touchdown was scored in last week’s primeval brawl between the Iowa Hawkeyes and Wisconsin Badgers.

In a bit of poetic justice, that 82-yard Leshon Williams’ scamper came out of an old school, I-formation look – the kind of meat-and-potatoes run play generations of Badgers used to bludgeon their Big 10 brethren.

No doubt, the father and son team of Kirk and Brian Ferentz took extra pleasure in rubbing Badger noses in incremental, ice age football. Many in both fan bases viewed this matchup – which gave the victor the inside track to a Big 10 West Division championship berth – as a proof-of-concept referendum.

On the Wisconsin side, a winning-but-not-sexy old school coach was jettisoned mid-season in 2022 for a newer, shinier model who promised to do away with three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football for a “modern” offense built to compete with bluebloods.

The decision in Iowa City was to go with the old. Double down on the longest-tenured coach in all of college football and his steadfast dedication to plodding, careful, complementary football with an emphasis on defensive stinginess and a conservatism that would make John Birch blush.

On a gloomy gray October Saturday in Camp Randall, the fossil outwitted the radical.

Early on, before a troubling knee injury to Iowa’s most reliable pass catcher, tight end Erick All, it appeared the forward pass was going to play a decent-sized role in the Hawkeye game plan. On Iowa’s first two drives, Iowa quarterback Deacon Hill actually hit on three of his first five passes, unfortunately including the slant that led All into a dangerous hit. Once All departed, however, the Iowa offense turned into the Williams and Kaleb Johnson show.

While many mock the frightful passing stats line of 6 for 14 for a mere 37 yards Hill ended with, a more remarkable stat is Iowa rushing for 200 yards playing with one hand tied behind its back. The Iowa offense looked much like a service academy, minus the option: you knew they were just going to line up and run and yet the Badgers failed to stop it much of the day. Iowa ended up eking out a time-of-possession advantage. With that, otherworldly punting by kicking god Tory Taylor and the relentless aggression of Sebastian Castro, Cooper DeJean and Jay Higgins, the Hawkeyes successfully dragged the Badgers into a gutter fight and left them bruised, beaten and demoralized.

Pundits call it ugly. But from my seats high up in Camp Randall, it was a thing of radiant beauty.

I particularly enjoyed the increasingly frustrated Badger fan behind me bemoaning the fact Iowa could rip off four, five and six yard runs while both Badger quarterbacks had to run for their lives and couldn’t get the massive and talented Braelon Allen the ball enough times to turn the fortunes of the game.

The grumbling and grousing in the Camp Randall stands made it clear many of the Badger faithful loathed seeing Iowa be the tougher, more blue collar team. They took it as a cultural affront.

Now, it is still early in this experiment. With the abolition of divisions and the influx of offensive-minded west coast teams into the Big 10 next year, Wisconsin’s gamble may still pay off. Perhaps Iowa will regret doubling down on Jurassic era bully ball at some point down the line. The first data point in the argument, however, points toward Iowa making the right decision. The Hawkeyes have now taken three of the last four games against Wisconsin and have their division championship fate in their own hands.

The fact is, this version of the Iowa Hawkeyes is full of bad asses that don’t care at all if you think they are ugly or an affront to modern football. They embrace the brand. The Bullies of the Big 10 are back and are going to try to bully all the way to Indianapolis.

Debates on whether this is a long-term strategy for success can wait for the offseason. We live in the now, and right now, Iowa is beating teams down with physicality, intelligence and perseverance in the face of adversity.

Absolutely the best writer of all time wow… you know how to bring out goose bumps in Iowa fans … at least for me and my wife … long time lover of Tory! Great man! Great writer! True Hawkeye

You are probably right but there are 14 other teams that
would love to be in the B1G Championship. This is the time to get another QB game reps. Hill sucks..

You are probably right but there are 14 other teams that
would love to be in the B1G Championship. This is the time to get another QB game reps. Hill sucks..
Hill sucks? His second game as a starting QUARTERBACK? Mmmmm give him time and the kid will get it … it’s not instant gratification with him… he’s got the gifts to be a good quarterback… if he gets some reasonable protection and can settle down a bit over these next few games … watch for big improvement from him these next few games … he’s going to be serviceable

Reactions: pmtdc and F5n5
Another excellent column Torbee! I love honest, glass-half-full journalism over the doom and gloom of most of the stuff I read about my sports teams. As a kid growing up in Cedar Rapids the first thing I read every morning were the columns of Gus Schrader of the Cedar Rapids Gazette. He is long gone now but your columns remind me of his, honest, factual and informative. We all know the shortcomings of this Iowa team but few people seem to appreciate what they have accomplished with what they have.

Totally disagree with Penn State.

Stay away from them imo.

I fully expect them to win in Columbus Sat.
Penn St defense still not really getting the respect they deserve. They are currently the best defense in the country. Giving up less than 200 yards per game. They had guys that were unblockable against us. Speed edge rushers and really good d-back play. Always a tough task to beat the Buckeyes in Columbus so we'll see but that defense is really really good.

Penn St defense still not really getting the respect they deserve. They are currently the best defense in the country. Giving up less than 200 yards per game. They had guys that were unblockable against us. Speed edge rushers and really good d-back play. Always a tough task to beat the Buckeyes in Columbus so we'll see but that defense is really really good.
On the 12 Saturdays podcast this week (plug! ;)) I predict that PSU wins in Columbus. I think the order of power in the East is PSU, Michigan, Ohio State, with PSU and Michigan being very, very even and OSU being just a bit behind both.

Tuesdays with Torbee​

ToryBrecht
Iowa Hawkeyes

A slobberknocker?

Reactions: Rambler Hawk

I'm hoping this is where the majority of the fanbase, especially those that actually go to Kinnick are.

The team doesn't need "Fire Brian" chants even though Brian needs to go. The fans don't need to boo the offense because we already know its deficient and that is extremely unlikely to change during the second half of a season where you have significant injury losses.

What the team needs is the support of a raucous Kinnick crowd to help add energy to a gutsy team in need of a bye week and a little healing time. The Minnesota game scares me because of our health status and the gophers coming off their bye,

But with the gopher game and the 3 that follow (including at Wrigley), we have a home field advantage all the way until Lincoln. I, for one, plan to be there and provide whatever help I can from the stands.

It's time to live for today, and "today" its time to beat the Gophers.

I'm hoping this is where the majority of the fanbase, especially those that actually go to Kinnick are.

The team doesn't need "Fire Brian" chants even though Brian needs to go. The fans don't need to boo the offense because we already know its deficient and that is extremely unlikely to change during the second half of a season where you have significant injury losses.

What the team needs is the support of a raucous Kinnick crowd to help add energy to a gutsy team in need of a bye week and a little healing time. The Minnesota game scares me because of our health status and the gophers coming off their bye,

But with the gopher game and the 3 that follow (including at Wrigley), we have a home field advantage all the way until Lincoln. I, for one, plan to be there and provide whatever help I can from the stands.

Yeah. Booing is dumb. I'll be there as well with my wife and Hawkeye daughter who's a senior this year for our last hurrah together in Kinnick while she's a student there. Win or lose, it'll be a great weekend together.

This is well said!!!!

Thanks. Enjoy your perspective on these games. Quite similar to my outlook. There was an air of envy among the Badger fans around me at Camp Randall as the game moved along. True, it may be short-lived and a more "modern" style of football will prevail, but it was fun to walk out of that stadium knowing our team was tougher than theirs that day.

hey, that 2004 analogy was MY idea as stated in a previous thread. good thing I have a copyright pending the the patent & trademark office.
(as in 2004, a new qb,, very tough road ass whipping, plethora of injuries, and we pulled off a miracle. will wait to see if we pull off another miracle0

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
at this point i want us to get into ccg and win not to be b1g champion or go to play-off. the sheer delicious pleasure of winning in a style massively hated and disapproved is gaining serious mind share, and i don’t think i’m alone.

not saying i want the offense to stay shitty forever just asking for a one time pleasurable perversity

Reactions: torbee
at this point i want us to get into ccg and win not to be b1g champion or go to play-off. the sheer delicious pleasure of winning in a style massively hated and disapproved is gaining serious mind share, and i don’t think i’m alone.

not saying i want the offense to stay shitty forever just asking for a one time pleasurable perversity
Iowa making the College Football Playoffs with a scoring average of under 20 would give me a permanent erection and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Granted, it's a .0000001% chance.

But still!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: desihawk
Iowa making the College Football Playoffs with a scoring average of under 20 would give me a permanent erection and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Granted, it's a .0000001% chance.

But still!

giphy-downsized-large.gif
tory taylor getting the heisman would make it impossible for the committee to keep iowa out :)

• Love
hey, that 2004 analogy was MY idea as stated in a previous thread. good thing I have a copyright pending the the patent & trademark office.
(as in 2004, a new qb,, very tough road ass whipping, plethora of injuries, and we pulled off a miracle. will wait to see if we pull off another miracle0
All royalties go to you brother ...

I love it when opposing teams think they hurt us by pinning us down at our 10 yard. Then Tory Taylor time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT