ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee - Season Opener Edition - is that, could it be - OFFENSE?

torbee

HB King
Gold Member
Bloody marys and chorizo scramble with a Spotted Cow back at the tailgate, blue skies, an Iowa victory and - at least in second half, real live offense - made this one of the best season openers in some time.

My thoughts on Week 1 for the Hawks:

Last season in 14 games, the Hawkeye offense scored 20 touchdowns.
In this season's opener the Hawkeye offense scored 5 touchdowns.
Yes, there is hope that the 2024 Hawkeye offense is for real. If QB Cade
can avoid injury and play in every game, then this could be a great season.

1sj9qw.jpg

Last season in 14 games, the Hawkeye offense scored 20 touchdowns.
In this season's opener the Hawkeye offense scored 5 touchdowns.
Yes, there is hope that the 2024 Hawkeye offense is for real. If QB Cade
can avoid injury and play in every game, then this could be a great season.
The offense actually scored 20 TDs last year?!

That seems impossible, remembering how bad it was.

pawchain-paw.gif

The offense actually scored 20 TDs last year?!

That seems impossible, remembering how bad it was.

pawchain-paw.gif
So here's the thing. As was the case this past Saturday, five of those touchdowns came in one game vs a really bad Western Michigan team. That's another reason why I would caution people who are getting all excited about that half vs Illinois State. Bad competition can make any offense, even one of the worst in history, look like world beaters. This Saturday they face a pretty wounded ISU defense, but still likely a better defense than they faced last Saturday. It will be interesting to see how they fare.

Not bad, you did forget something fairly important in this paragraph though. I can help proofread for you next time if you need.😉

Former Hawkeye Anthony Herron, who was on the Big 10 Network call of the game, sounded like a believer. He lauded new offensive __________ Tim Lester’s halftime adjustments, while noting his scheme is fairly complex and difficult to master, insinuating that even better may be to come.

Not bad, you did forget something fairly important in this paragraph though. I can help proofread for you next time if you need.😉

Former Hawkeye Anthony Herron, who was on the Big 10 Network call of the game, sounded like a believer. He lauded new offensive __________ Tim Lester’s halftime adjustments, while noting his scheme is fairly complex and difficult to master, insinuating that even better may be to come.
Dammit. I hate dumb errors like that. And I proofread it twice 😡

Dammit. I hate dumb errors like that. And I proofread it twice 😡
I completely understand and I’m here for you.
No one is perfect, I catch that kind of thing all the time, it happens. I honestly wasn’t being a dick, I would appreciate someone pointing that out to me also.

Reactions: torbee
So here's the thing. As was the case this past Saturday, five of those touchdowns came in one game vs a really bad Western Michigan team. That's another reason why I would caution people who are getting all excited about that half vs Illinois State. Bad competition can make any offense, even one of the worst in history, look like world beaters. This Saturday they face a pretty wounded ISU defense, but still likely a better defense than they faced last Saturday. It will be interesting to see how they fare.
Too early to think about the possible doom & gloom, IMO.

But if the offense struggle their way mightily to an 11-6/7/9/10 win - 3 FGs + a safety = 11 - this weekend, or heaven forbid lose, then I'll let my realistic pessimism take over again.

Hell, we got Jerry Palm over at CBSSports.com projecting the Hawks in the playoffs after this past weekend [11-seed @ 6-seed Oregon]. Saying the Hawks should be favored in the rest of their games, except the @Ohio St tilt.

Reactions: torbee
Too early to think about the possible doom & gloom, IMO.

But if the offense struggle their way mightily to an 11-6/7/9/10 win - 3 FGs + a safety = 11 - this weekend, or heaven forbid lose, then I'll let my realistic pessimism take over again.

Hell, we got Jerry Palm over at CBSSports.com projecting the Hawks in the playoffs after this past weekend [11-seed @ 6-seed Oregon]. Saying the Hawks should be favored in the rest of their games, except the @Ohio St tilt.
No doom and gloom. We were given a reason to be optimistic by a very productive and entertaining half of football. Just trying to keep things on a bit of an even keel given last week's opponent. There was a reason that the Hawks were favored by 20+ going in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT